Joel: unchained.

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Re: Joel: unchained. 

Post#1561 » by phillynative » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:18 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:
Wilfried wrote:Torn between blowing it up and ... ?
Only thing to not do that, is if we are sure Joel can be back by the end of march and in full shape. If not, he will not be in shape for the play-offs and than there's no reason whatsoever to not let him heal properly.

By blowing it up, I mean:
Develop Reed, Springer and KJ Martin as much as you can.
Sell Morris, Covington, Kork, ... for what you can get (some 2nd rounders?)
Get a higher first round pick
Get hyped for the 2024 offseason

Lol.what??.. wait trade Joel lol and develop who ?? Lol

Lol I guess he means develop them enough to the point where we can showcase them and get something for them. I hope that's what he meant...
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#1562 » by elchengue20 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:55 pm

I guess the best plan is to go all in next season. This year Draft sucks anyway.

If aren't even close to winning the Championship and Biid stil has some health issues, blow it up.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,075

Post#1563 » by Embiid P » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:49 pm

One thing is for certain: if we hope to significantly extend Embiid's career here, it's absolutely critical that we acquire another shot creator so that he's not forced to carry the offense when Maxey (who is streaky on his own) sits.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,014

Post#1564 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:57 pm

Embiid will already be 31 years old in next playoffs, his bum knees will be even more shot than they are now and his athleticism will be diminished next year, the decline will be steep. What's the point to go all in? what player can we get as a 1st option exactly? because Embiid ain't one, and Maxey doesn't have the 1st option talent unfortunately (he has the heart however).
We should just make sure he heals properly and showcase him next year before the trade deadline, show he is healthy and that he can still score efficiently like usual in the RS. I believe we can still get a good package for him under the right circumstances, but we need to be smart, no rushing him AT ALL.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#1565 » by the_process » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:04 pm

Reevaluating Jo in 4 weeks? Reevaluated for what? The Sixers record I have to imagine. Because Embiid will still be 4 weeks at least away from returning at that point.

This team always trying to be cryptic with injuries, so annoying.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#1566 » by Skates » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:23 pm

the_process wrote:Reevaluating Jo in 4 weeks? Reevaluated for what? The Sixers record I have to imagine. Because Embiid will still be 4 weeks at least away from returning at that point.

You are mistaking common medical practice with the team trying to hide something. The doctors will be regularly meeting with and evaluating progress of post surgical recovery and physical rehab. It’s never a straight line of recovery, days you feel good, others you don’t, issues pop up or don’t. Typical recovery timelines are just averages and benchmarks with every case being different.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#1567 » by the_process » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:32 pm

Skates wrote:
the_process wrote:Reevaluating Jo in 4 weeks? Reevaluated for what? The Sixers record I have to imagine. Because Embiid will still be 4 weeks at least away from returning at that point.

You are mistaking common medical practice with the team trying to hide something. The doctors will be regularly meeting with and evaluating progress of post surgical recovery and physical rehab. It’s never a straight line of recovery, days you feel good, others you don’t, issues pop up or don’t. Typical recovery timelines are just averages and benchmarks with every case being different.

Maybe. But this team is less than forthcoming, and Jo is never going to be the top 1% or whatever of healers. He won't be ready for anything in 4 weeks and it's absolutely misleading (on purpose to sell tickets, mind you, which we know they've done in the past) to even throw that number out there.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,847

Post#1568 » by Mik317 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:37 pm

Can't say he's out for the year because then teams will think you are either desperate to sell or desperate to save the season.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,726

Post#1569 » by 76thBearCub » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:38 pm

Off topic but does "underwent successful surgery" just mean you woke up from the anesthesia or what
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#1570 » by Murray_17 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:17 pm

76thBearCub wrote:Off topic but does "underwent successful surgery" just mean you woke up from the anesthesia or what

I guess it means they didn't face any problem on the procedure and it went as expected.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#1571 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:25 am

I've had meniscus tears in both knees, one bad, and one minor.

A minor tear is no big deal and he could be back in six weeks
If his tear is bad - it's over for him. His mobility is going to totally change, will lose lateral movement and spring, will be a lumbering big man who can't stay at an effective playing weight - just ask Dereck Rose.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,247

Post#1572 » by eyeatoma » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:50 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:I've had meniscus tears in both knees, one bad, and one minor.

If his tear is bad - it's over for him. His mobility is going to totally change, will lose lateral movement and spring, will be a lumbering big man who can't stay at an effective playing weight - just ask Dereck Rose.

I've had one in my knee, didn't require surgery, and healed up on its own. It gives me problems constnatly, so sometimes I wish I did a surgery.

Rose had a torn ACL to start with, not really the same.

I get you've had two injuries before, but so has Embiid. The fact that they didn't remove the whole thing (they would have said something about it, or they wouldn't have said a procredure, or they wouldn't have said reevaluated after 4 weeks, tells me it was fairly minor. How much he last left who knows, but he should be okay for the next 1-3 years. But yeah he's probably lost a little bit of his longevity.

But yeah, can't really compare him to Rose who had an injury that robbed him of all his athleticsm. Many players actually play with meniscus tears and they are the most common lower body injury among many athletes. I wouldn't argue that he has lost some of his career longevity, but he should be fine in the short term. Key is not hurting it again.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#1573 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:19 am

eyeatoma wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:I've had meniscus tears in both knees, one bad, and one minor.

I've had one in my knee, didn't require surgery, and healed up on its own. It gives me problems constnatly, so sometimes I wish I did a surgery.

I get you've had two injuries before, but so has Embiid. The fact that they didn't remove the whole thing (they would have said something about it, or they wouldn't have said a procredure, or they wouldn't have said reevaluated after 4 weeks, tells me it was fairly minor. How much he last left who knows, but he should be okay for the next 1-3 years. But yeah he's probably lost a little bit of his longevity.

But yeah, can't really compare him to Rose who had an injury that robbed him of all his athleticsm. Many players actually play with meniscus tears and they are the most common lower body injury among many athletes. I wouldn't argue that he has lost some of his career longevity, but he should be fine in the short term. Key is not hurting it again.

The fact that they haven't said it is a minor tear pretty much says that it is a major tear. NBA teams always put a positive spin on things, especially the Sixers. I'd put my house on his knee being ****..
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,247

Post#1574 » by eyeatoma » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:24 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

The fact that they haven't said it is a minor tear pretty much says that it is a major tear. NBA teams always put a positive spin on things, especially the Sixers. I'd put my house on his knee being ****..
Always the positivity in here.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,014

Post#1575 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:30 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Always the positivity in here.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

This franchise makes it hard to be positive though, history is on the "negativity is justified" side when it comes to these things.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#1576 » by rzzzzz » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:18 pm

One thing about Process times, Sam Hinkie helped Joel get through some tough press during a time of extreme family pain. And then was completely patient and thorough about getting him healthy and fit enough to take the court. Hoping the big guy heals readily and thoroughly, but he needs guidance not to be shamed into taking the court when he’s not fit and never ever go to the floor for a loose ball again, unless its the end of game 7.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,451

Post#1577 » by Eyeamok » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:28 pm

The good thing about the Embiid injury is that it has happened now. Usually he get's injured a week or two before the playoffs, misses the first round or is hobbled in the first round and then we get the Mopy Dick Embiid for the 2nd round and that is all she wrote. This year his injury happened early. The 76ers will do the right thing rest him if he can't play but if he can this team can go on an epic run like the Heat did last year.

Never wishing injury on any player but injuries are part of the game. The 76ers have suffered their's it's not unreasonable to believe other teams will meet with injuries or bumps and bruises that need time to heal but they can't because the playoffs are upon us. All this can work in the 76ers favor. A healthy Embiid is a beast. But this does not mean we won't have other issues arise. Who the hell knows.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#1578 » by rzzzzz » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:24 pm

The Return of the King. (Fare thee well, big guy.)
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,496

Post#1579 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:07 pm

This sounds risky.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#1580 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:54 am

Joel averages 35ppg and is close to the best defender in the league. He works as hard as any player in the league on the defensive end, so is always gassed on offense.

How many points would he average if he ignored defense ike Lebron, Booker, Jokic, Doncic, etc?

Probably around 45 per game.

This is what box score watchers don't get when they claim Jokic is the best player in the league.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers