Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,035

Re: Joel: unchained. 

Post#161 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:52 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Nope, he also had worse shooting percentages before he had covid this year.

Bro it's the new Wilson ball, it clealy affects shooting percentage.

His shooting percentages are lower relative to the league average too. You can come up with 20 different explanations or maybe just accept that not having a very good passer playing with him all the time has some impact on his scoring. It's ok.

But how the new ball affects a player is not equal, his hands are much bigger than the average NBA player, clearly something to consider. You'll see after some more games he will adapt to the new ball and show how it has nothing to do with overrated Simmons.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#162 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:58 pm

kuclas wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
True but his assists are up too

Painfull to see Embiid has the second highest assists per game on our team, seems like a recipe for disaster

By career "low" with the turnovers I mean that in a good way. Assists are up turnovers are down, both good signs for him as a passer.

Embiid assists are up simply cause he has another shooter to hit the open jumper. I always knew embiid could get his assist rate up to 4 maybe 5 one day.

Unless Simmons is in the dunker spot. Simmons is not gonna to get embiid an assist.

Like if Jokic played with Simmons. Jokic is a very good passer. But Jokic assist rate would go down by 2 if he was passing the ball back out to Simmons to shoot. Which we all know Simmons won’t shoot.

I'm sure that helps to some extent, but he averaged 5.1 assists per 100 possessions when Simmons was off the court last year. He's averaging 6.6 this year. He also averaged 6.0 turnovers per 100 possessions without Simmons last year versus 4.3 this year. He has improved as a passer.

The levels people go to blame Simmons for literally everything and refuse to accept any other factors is pretty mind boggling.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#163 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:29 pm

But it's not the same having Simmons off the court in the season than having Simmons off the court since preseason, the improvements are made before the season, being able to do team practice without Simmons for a long time will always have a very positive effect. Let's remember it also takes time to unlearn bad habits, like the ones Brett instilled when he was here, so last year was just a transition period, this year and especially next year will be Embiid's pure dominance.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#164 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:40 pm

You haven't given any evidence for any of these theories that just so happen to confirm the idea that any improvement is only because Ben isn't around and anything getting worse has nothing to do with Ben not being there other than that it confirms your priors so I don't see the point of going further.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,935

Post#165 » by mjkvol » Wed Dec 8, 2021 6:31 pm

With the obvious assumption that switching from Spalding to Wilson was about money because 'follow the money' answers virtually every question - does anyone know why they would not have Wilson produce a ball with the same specs and feel as the Spalding ball the players clearly prefer? The new ball seems to be a major concern with a lot of players and is clearly affecting performance.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#166 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 6:57 pm

mjkvol wrote:With the obvious assumption that switching from Spalding to Wilson was about money because 'follow the money' answers virtually every question - does anyone know why they would not have Wilson produce a ball with the same specs and feel as the Spalding ball the players clearly prefer? The new ball seems to be a major concern with a lot of players and is clearly affecting performance.

I'd imagine several reasons, biggest one probably being that Wilson doesn't sell Spalding balls, they sell Wilson balls. There are production costs with changing the design of the ball you produce. Plus, why would you pay all this money to be the official ball of the NBA just make your ball copy that of your biggest rival? You'd be implicitly acknowledging your ball as inferior. There may also be legal reasons that Wilson can't just copy Spalding's design, not sure.

And I don't think there's any fundamental issue with the ball, it's just that guys aren't used to it. They'd rather just wait it out and let them get used to it, and then in 10 years or whenever their contract is up and Nike or someone outbids then, the players can complain about that then.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#167 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Dec 8, 2021 7:52 pm

Yes Embiid is not used to Wilson ball, it is evident when you see him shooting.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#168 » by mjkvol » Wed Dec 8, 2021 9:02 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:With the obvious assumption that switching from Spalding to Wilson was about money because 'follow the money' answers virtually every question - does anyone know why they would not have Wilson produce a ball with the same specs and feel as the Spalding ball the players clearly prefer? The new ball seems to be a major concern with a lot of players and is clearly affecting performance.

I'd imagine several reasons, biggest one probably being that Wilson doesn't sell Spalding balls, they sell Wilson balls. There are production costs with changing the design of the ball you produce. Plus, why would you pay all this money to be the official ball of the NBA just make your ball copy that of your biggest rival? You'd be implicitly acknowledging your ball as inferior. There may also be legal reasons that Wilson can't just copy Spalding's design, not sure.

And I don't think there's any fundamental issue with the ball, it's just that guys aren't used to it. They'd rather just wait it out and let them get used to it, and then in 10 years or whenever their contract is up and Nike or someone outbids then, the players can complain about that then.

Regarding paying all the money to be the official ball, what difference does the ball makeup really make other than game performance and how the pros like or dislike it? Becoming "the official ball of the NBA" is similar to stadium and arena naming rights - for your corporate name and logo to get as much exposure as possible and the prestige of providing equipment for those at the highest level of the sport. I would think the constant public complaints don't exactly help Wilson's image.

Having spent my career in the golf industry, it's not that far removed from players switching equipment companies - the new company was only concerned with their logo being on the hat and shirt of the player, and the player's performance showing the quality of the gear. Tiger Woods played Mizuno, Titleist, and Nike irons, and they were all virtually identical forged blades, the only difference being the logo on the clubhead.

I agree with you that the players will always find something to complain about if they aren't playing well, and the ball is a convenient scapegoat at the moment.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#169 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 8, 2021 10:02 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Regarding paying all the money to be the official ball, what difference does the ball makeup really make other than game performance and how the pros like or dislike it? Becoming "the official ball of the NBA" is similar to stadium and arena naming rights - for your corporate name and logo to get as much exposure as possible and the prestige of providing equipment for those at the highest level of the sport. I would think the constant public complaints don't exactly help Wilson's image.

Having spent my career in the golf industry, it's not that far removed from players switching equipment companies - the new company was only concerned with their logo being on the hat and shirt of the player, and the player's performance showing the quality of the gear. Tiger Woods played Mizuno, Titleist, and Nike irons, and they were all virtually identical forged blades, the only difference being the logo on the clubhead.

I agree with you that the players will always find something to complain about if they aren't playing well, and the ball is a convenient scapegoat at the moment.

Well I'm not sure if basketball production really has the same kind of customization as golf, but I feel like that's exactly the difference, Tiger likes one type of blade, Phil likes another, etc. In basketball have to pick one. I think if a large enough contingent of the players complained they would make a change, that actually happened once before as I recall, but I guess that hasn't happened. As you said some guys complain about it, other guys are having great seasons and may love the change. Wilson balls are used during the NCAA tournament as well as a bunch of college programs, it's not some crazy out of the box shift.

I would say your golf comp is more equivalent to the shoes guys wear. A guy may be sponsored by Nike but choose to wear Lebrons, Kobes, KDs etc. (all of which have a different models and styles within them) depending on their preference.

Also, Embiid is shooting a career high 40% from 3 this year, fwiw.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#170 » by mjkvol » Wed Dec 8, 2021 10:34 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Well I'm not sure if basketball production really has the same kind of customization as golf, but I feel like that's exactly the difference, Tiger likes one type of blade, Phil likes another, etc. In basketball have to pick one. I think if a large enough contingent of the players complained they would make a change, that actually happened once before as I recall, but I guess that hasn't happened. As you said some guys complain about it, other guys are having great seasons and may love the change. Wilson balls are used during the NCAA tournament as well as a bunch of college programs, it's not some crazy out of the box shift.

I would say your golf comp is more equivalent to the shoes guys wear. A guy may be sponsored by Nike but choose to wear Lebrons, Kobes, KDs etc. (all of which have a different styles within them) depending on their preference.

Also, Embiid is shooting a career high 40% from 3 this year, fwiw.

Good point on the sneaker comp, but my main point was that a company's investment in being the league's or a player's brand is more about exposure and advertising than anything else. But in terms of player preference, the sneaker comp is right on the money (pun intended).
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#171 » by elchengue20 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:17 am

Embeast. Hes a top 5 player in the NBA and can be the best player on the court against anyone.

We basically got Hakeem 2.0 and we are wasting him playing with bums and talent who doesnt fit.

We finally got a good rotation guard who can shoot in Seth and hes playing the best basketball of his life next to him.

Imagine if we actually got him a real star guard. The only one was Jimmy for half a season and we were one lucky shot away of beating the NBA champions.Its a shame we are wasting his prime, we have to get him another star NOW.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,764

Post#172 » by Sixersftw » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:20 pm

So he leads the league in clutch scoring this year, he plays DPOY level defense, he leads the entire history of the league in points per minute and pp/36.

Daryl, I'm begging you. Get this man a partner.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#173 » by rzzzzz » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:12 pm

mjkvol wrote:I agree with you that the players will always find something to complain about if they aren't playing well, and the ball is a convenient scapegoat at the moment.

Embiid is not a whiner. But he will tell you exactly what’s on his mind. If he says the new ball is giving him problems, then that’s the fact, Jack. (He’s not the only one who complaining.) But he’ll probably adjust to it sooner than later. He’s good about that.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#174 » by rzzzzz » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:17 pm

elchengue20 wrote:Embeast. Hes a top 5 player in the NBA and can be the best player on the court against anyone.

We basically got Hakeem 2.0 and we are wasting him playing with bums and talent who doesnt fit.

We finally got a good rotation guard who can shoot in Seth and hes playing the best basketball of his life next to him.

Imagine if we actually got him a real star guard. The only one was Jimmy for half a season and we were one lucky shot away of beating the NBA champions.Its a shame we are wasting his prime, we have to get him another star NOW.

I’d more that settle for a promising young prospect. There a few interesting pgs who are starting to make a name for themselves. They can’t all be all stars, but I bet Daryl can pick a good solid one to not only partner with Jo, but engage the whole offense.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#175 » by mjkvol » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:07 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
mjkvol wrote:I agree with you that the players will always find something to complain about if they aren't playing well, and the ball is a convenient scapegoat at the moment.

Embiid is not a whiner. But he will tell you exactly what’s on his mind. If he says the new ball is giving him problems, then that’s the fact, Jack. (He’s not the only one who complaining.) But he’ll probably adjust to it sooner than later. He’s good about that.

I never referred to Embiid as a whiner, and certainly believe he's anything but that. But it is a fact that players in every sport will find things to blame for poor performances, because want to remain confident in their own ability if things are not going well.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by rzzzzz » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:16 pm

mjkvol wrote:But it is a fact that players in every sport will find things to blame for poor performances, because want to remain confident in their own ability if things are not going well.

Paul George, of course, talks about the new ball feeling different. CJ said the players association was meeting to discuss the concern of a number of players, as this season has started with the lowest shooting percentages in quite some time. The latest rationale I’ve read is that the real problem is that switching to a new ball meant that all the balls are…new. And that even the Spauldings were slicker until they were broken in sufficiently. The expectation being that the Wilsons will feel better with mileage.

I think these world class athletes are extremely sensitive to changes to the basic equipment. Just like the best musicians are able to perform on whatever they lay their hands on, but they are well aware of the minutest variances.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#177 » by mjkvol » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:28 pm

rzzzzz wrote:I think these world class athletes are extremely sensitive to changes to the basic equipment. Just like the best musicians are able to perform on whatever they lay their hands on, but they are well aware of the minutest variances.

Absolutely true. I go back to my analogy to golfers - when pros are fitted for clubs or a golf ball, they can sense the most infinitesimal differences in specs, and their ball flight and spin rate will reflect it. Same thing with pro basketball players and their shoes, or even the court. Remember the bruhaha over deflating footballs? These guys are like fine tuned machines.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#178 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:40 pm

Amazing how different Embiid would be viewed if we hadn't drafted Bum Simmons in 2016, together with Brett this was the end for Embiid, now the damage is already done and improving the team is hard.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#179 » by elchengue20 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:59 am

rzzzzz wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Embeast. Hes a top 5 player in the NBA and can be the best player on the court against anyone.

I’d more that settle for a promising young prospect. There a few interesting pgs who are starting to make a name for themselves. They can’t all be all stars, but I bet Daryl can pick a good solid one to not only partner with Jo, but engage the whole offense.

I just hope Simmons+Maxey+picks can get us a star. I wanted Lillard or Harden, but both are looking like they are already declining and fast.I would love to get Shae or a Jaylen Brown calibeer of player.I dont want a prospect with 1 or 2 years in the league, we dont have that much time to watch him grow.

Maxey is nice and all, and could be a very good PG in a few years, but when you are lucky to have a player like Biid in his prime, you are in win now mode. He shoudnt be close to untoachable if the right offers appears.

Milwakee understood this with Giannis and they already have a championship to show for it. You cant waiste time when you are lucky to have generational talent in your team, you don't know when you are going to have another one.

Also, Biid probably has a shorter peak than the average player.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,251

Post#180 » by eyeatoma » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:36 am

I used to love Bill Simmons even he was with Grantland with ESPN. His best players in the league write ups were must reads. Then he started the Ringer and his Celtics homerism went into overdrive. However he still has a way to put things so eloquently and his take on where Joel Embiid is now in his career as one of the top 5-7 players in the world is something you have to hear. Starts at a 1:50 in his latest podcast on the Bill Simmons Podcast.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5ebNbmVXN8fieCAb64Id4l?si=vZ25S2LIR6qgchEBgBkp_g&utm_source=copy-link&t=110

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers