ImageImageImage

The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,535

Re: The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread 

Post#141 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:30 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Where is your game thread?

Anyways, guys im blown away, and need an explanation.

How are you guys so elite without Ben?? In transition offense, in the half court, in half court D. I mean maybe Ben was the key to stopping transition (I doubt it), what even is this?? Why do you have posters upset??

Not only that, but Doc is #1 on both sides of the ball on ATOs. Sorry guys, I hate your team (and all non-Raps teams), but im so impressed.

Lastly, yes im aware of competition/small samples/etc.., im just talking about the current data. Goodluck this season if this provides 0 discourse.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#142 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:14 pm

Last 4 games exposed our size.
Knicks: Randle 31pts
Bucks: Giannis take over
Raps: 16 Orebs ,extra opportunities& boucher
Pacers: Pacers frontcourt 16/23 shooting

Will Embiid playing be enough?

Can Tobias defend Siakam, Giannis, Sabonis and Randle?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#143 » by Arsenal » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:40 pm

Time to resurrect this bad boy after we... ONCE AGAIN... choked a 24 point lead to a far inferior team at home.

The Glenn Rivers special!

Time's yours...
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#144 » by thenbaman » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:06 pm

dump his a$$
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,724

Post#145 » by the_process » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:48 pm

Glenn only coaches losses. :lol:

I think he needs to go because his ego is out of control. He thinks he's still the face of franchise like he was after The Sterling Incident in LA.

I don't see the owners firing him with 24M left to go. Hopefully someone calls him in and tells him the arrogant act won't fly in Philly, though.

Andy Reid lasted a very long time by just emptily repeating it's on me.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,049

Post#146 » by Murray_17 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:20 pm

I think the issue is Doc really cannot think outside the box, once his normal schemes don't work he just collapses.

His suden fascination with CBJ and playing him more than Joe on a game we needed shooting is just stupid.

Obviously this get max expsoure when you play against a guy like Ty Lue who is willing to try Batum guarding Embiid in the middle of the third quarter.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,902

Post#147 » by mjkvol » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:40 pm

the_process wrote:
Andy Reid lasted a very long time by just emptily repeating it's on me.

Reid was around so long playing the same song that it killed my passion for the Eagles for a few years. Hope to hell Doc isn't around a third as long.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#148 » by mjkvol » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:45 pm

Murray_17 wrote:I think the issue is Doc really cannot think outside the box, once his normal schemes don't work he just collapses.

His suden fascination with CBJ and playing him more than Joe on a game we needed shooting is just stupid.

Obviously this get max expsoure when you play against a guy like Ty Lue who is willing to try Batum guarding Embiid in the middle of the third quarter.

Funny, but the Reid-Doc comparison is pretty good - both arrogant, both stubborn, both are 'players coaches', both good at game planning but hideous at in-game adjustments, especially in the biggest spots.

Doc won a chip with a Big 3 that jelled at the right time, Reid won after falling into a generational QB with a loaded roster.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#149 » by Arsenal » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:49 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:I think the issue is Doc really cannot think outside the box, once his normal schemes don't work he just collapses.

Funny, but the Reid-Doc comparison is pretty good - both arrogant, both stubborn, both are 'players coaches', both good at game planning but hideous at in-game adjustments, especially in the biggest spots.

Doc won a chip with a Big 3 that jelled at the right time, Reid won after falling into a generational QB with a loaded roster.

Biggest difference was Reid knew how to handle a locker room. The Ben Simmons nonsense would NEVER have happened under Reid. The players always loved Andy Reid.

Meanwhile Glenn inevitably alienates his star players. We better jettison him before he does it to Embiid.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#150 » by mjkvol » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:53 pm

Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Biggest difference was Reid knew how to handle a locker room. The Ben Simmons nonsense would NEVER have happened under Reid. The players always loved Andy Reid.

Meanwhile Glenn inevitably alienates his star players. We better jettison him before he does it to Embiid.

I can't agree for one huge reason. If Reid knew how to handle a locker room the TO debacle would have been smoothed over and not been allowed to rip the locker room in half. It was Reid's indifference and McNabb's bizarre passive-aggressive personality that enabled the divide, which you could see coming from a mile away.

They knew TO was a handful coming in, but the way that mess was handled turned a Super Bowl contender into a mess in the course of one off season.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#151 » by Arsenal » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:06 am

mjkvol wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I can't agree for one huge reason. If Reid knew how to handle a locker room the TO debacle would have been smoothed over and not been allowed to rip the locker room in half. It was Reid's indifference and McNabb's bizarre passive-aggressive personality that enabled the divide, which you could see coming from a mile away.

They knew TO was a handful coming in, but the way that mess was handled turned a Super Bowl contender into a mess in the course of one off season.

LOL forgot about TO. However that's the only case I can remember w/Reid.

Meanwhile w/Glenn it's a consistent pattern.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,724

Post#152 » by the_process » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:08 am

mjkvol wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

The problem at that time, in retrospect, was that Reid's sons at home were a disaster and the family stuff was understandably distracting him.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#153 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:42 am

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

The problem at that time, in retrospect, was that Reid's sons at home were a disaster and the family stuff was understandably distracting him.

No, that came later if I'm not mistaken, around '06-'07, when Reid should have been eased out for his own and the franchise's good.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,590

Post#154 » by Iverson Armband » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:31 am

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

No, that came later if I'm not mistaken, around '06-'07, when Reid should have been eased out for his own and the franchise's good.

The type of issues his kids were having I’m almost positive started well before ‘06, even if we weren't privy to that information at the time.
always a jump shot away.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,179

Post#155 » by M2J » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:52 am

Doc deserves a lot of credit for what he's done both seasons in Philly... In any sensible person's opinion.

He did mess up the Ben question though. But he developed a Ben replacement
76ciology
RealGM

Post#156 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:41 am

M2J wrote:Doc deserves a lot of credit for what he's done both seasons in Philly... In any sensible person's opinion.

He did mess up the Ben question though. But he developed a Ben replacement

Guys play career best years with him. From Biid to Tobi to Seth to Maxey and etc.

Except for Ben, if you base it on counting stats. But Ben got the national media spotlight on him for the DPOY award.
KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#157 » by KramerDSP » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:24 pm

If I didn’t know better, I’d think Stan Van Gundy wants the Sixers job. He is dishing out constant praise of Embiid every chance he gets.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#158 » by Eyeamok » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:26 am

KramerDSP wrote:If I didn’t know better, I’d think Stan Van Gundy wants the Sixers job. He is dishing out constant praise of Embiid every chance he gets.

Stan has been hot for the 76ers job for a while now.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#159 » by marcush » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:54 am

Docs got a pretty flawed roster here except for Jo.

Considering Embiid is also playing so well and seems very happy, I think Doc is safe.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#160 » by Tomjas » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:18 am

Doc is a really bad tactician and his reputation as a player’s coach is absolute nonsense (Paul, Kawhi, PG, Simmons, etc) but it will ultimately come down to Jo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers