ImageImageImage

Around The League: 2021-2022 Season 1.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Re: Around The League: 2021-2022 Season 1.0 

Post#541 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:48 am

That trade could end being a huge embarrassment for the Hawks.

Reddish is projecting out as a 18+ ppg player that bombs away from three and provides excellent defense.

I'm actually livid that we weren't in on that.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#542 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:31 am

76ciology wrote:Remember that time when guys were laughing me about a Drummond-Embiid frontcourt?

Once we trade Tobi, it will be much better and you’ll see it more.

Drummond will likely be long gone by the time Tobias is traded.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#543 » by Tomjas » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 am

Bucks destroying Warriors who are really bad defensively without Draymond
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#544 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:49 am

So far this season, Andrew Wiggins has a positive clutch plus/minus (+11). He never recorded such a season in the NBA. His career clutch time plus/minus (-233) is the ninth-worst since the league started tracking play-by-play stats in 1996-97.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#545 » by Stanford » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm

Wild that the Warriors have the best defensive player of all time and the best offensive player of all time on the same team.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#546 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 pm

Stanford wrote:Wild that the Warriors have the best defensive player of all time and the best offensive player of all time on the same team.

And add to that the ongoing ability to take talented but limited players and maximize their strengths by finding roles for them and transforming them into Finals MVP's and All Stars. To me, that might be the most impressive thing about this whole amazing run.

Turning "garbage into gold", so to speak.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#547 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:00 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Stanford wrote:Wild that the Warriors have the best defensive player of all time and the best offensive player of all time on the same team.

And add to that the ongoing ability to take talented but limited players and maximize their strengths by finding roles for them and transforming them into Finals MVP's and All Stars. To me, that might be the most impressive thing about this whole amazing run.

Turning "garbage into gold", so to speak.

Kerr squeezed every last drop out of his bench vets. The corpses of Shaun Livingston, Leandro Barbosa, Andre Iguodala all being impact players in the Finals.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#548 » by Monix » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 pm

it's all about the defensive attention that Curry demands, if you have to consider doubling a guy 28 feet from the basket it opens up a lot of space that is vulnerable for everyone else

Kerr doesn't look like as much of a genius when Curry isn't in the lineup
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#549 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:16 pm

Monix wrote:it's all about the defensive attention that Curry demands, if you have to consider doubling a guy 28 feet from the basket it opens up a lot of space that is vulnerable for everyone else

I hate throwing around terms like "genius", but Kerr's scheme has had a lot to do with turning Curry from an All Star into a generational player, and that group into the 'dynasty' they became. The talent, especially adding Durant, is the biggest factor, but that could just as easily have blown up in their faces with all those egos in one lineup. Kerr has to get a lot of credit for making that work.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#550 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:53 pm

I have a feeling once the trade gets done, teams like Portland, Washington maybe even NO will regret not trading for Ben. They may not regret it right away, but come the 23-22 season the regret will start to sink in.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#551 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:51 am

mjkvol wrote:
Monix wrote:it's all about the defensive attention that Curry demands, if you have to consider doubling a guy 28 feet from the basket it opens up a lot of space that is vulnerable for everyone else

I hate throwing around terms like "genius", but Kerr's scheme has had a lot to do with turning Curry from an All Star into a generational player, and that group into the 'dynasty' they became. The talent, especially adding Durant, is the biggest factor, but that could just as easily have blown up in their faces with all those egos in one lineup. Kerr has to get a lot of credit for making that work.

Agree. I also thought warriors played well on those seasons they were without Curry. Playing well doesnt mean winning. But it’s more of making right plays and playing the right way. It eventually lead them to discover guys like Jordan Poole and made guys like Wiggins and Marquese Chris look better than what they are.

Ironically the seasons where I find the Warriors were not that well coached was when they had Durant. Prior to that, they played basketball like sex. And the basketball world was robbed of insanely pleasurable basketball finals matches of healthy cavs trio vs original warriors roster.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#552 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:53 am

Eyeamok wrote:I have a feeling once the trade gets done, teams like Portland, Washington maybe even NO will regret not trading for Ben. They may not regret it right away, but come the 23-22 season the regret will start to sink in.

I see the Blazers regretting it.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#553 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 am

With Bulls triangle offense and wing heavy defense and Spurs beautiful game and big heavy defense.

It also is a feel good story about not relying too much on the draft and human’s inventiveness about the game with how they were doing R&D with those Don Nelson teams then eventually having a breakthrough.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#554 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:03 am

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:Remember that time when guys were laughing me about a Drummond-Embiid frontcourt?

Drummond will likely be long gone by the time Tobias is traded.

I do think Biid’s long term evolution is him being a big, mobile and insanely skilled PF. Like Duncan, KG or Dirk.

Who we pair with him at the frontcourt has also big influence on where he and the team will go. I dont think a tweener PF like Jae Crowder or Tobi will be the default. I think once this team gets mature, he will need to play sometimes (maybe 1 minute, maybe 48 minutes) with another C.

But right now finding that alpha player for him to play with is our utmost priority. After that, I believe we’d shift the attention to finding his frontcourt partners, and this has something to do with trading Tobi. Which is timely given Tobi’s contract is set to expire as we move towards this phase.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#555 » by sixers4real » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:45 am

We are just 3.5 games behind the 3rd best team in the NBA and the best in the East.
With 1/2 Morey style trades we will be title contenders
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#556 » by youngcrev » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:21 pm

:lol:

Still laughing, and still shocked you're on this.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#557 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:43 pm

youngcrev wrote:

Yup. You’ll see. Even coach Jim Lynam and Marc Jackson liked it. While Doc Rivers, who knows basketball than anyone of us here, run it.

If you know basketball it makes sense.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#558 » by youngcrev » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:48 pm

76ciology wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Yup. You’ll see. Even coach Jim Lynam and Marc Jackson liked it. While Doc Rivers, who knows basketball than anyone of us here, run it.

Ok, explain how it makes sense. And don't just cite twin towers set ups from previous eras, tell me what the advantage is. Because it seems to me you're sacrificing perimeter defense (and rim protection if Embiid is the guy you're asking to guard 4s), offensive spacing, and your transition game (both ways), all so that you can get a rebounding edge and a possible post mismatch for an inferior post player.

Hell, people freak out about fit with Simmons... Pairing Jo with Drummond gives you all the same problems (and then some) and none of the advantages.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#559 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:05 pm

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Ok, explain how it makes sense. And don't just cite twin towers set ups from previous eras, tell me what the advantage is. Because it seems to me you're sacrificing perimeter defense (and rim protection if Embiid is the guy you're asking to guard 4s), offensive spacing, and your transition game (both ways), all so that you can get a rebounding edge and a possible post mismatch for an inferior post player.

Hell, people freak out about fit with Simmons... Pairing Jo with Drummond gives you all the same problems (and then some) and none of the advantages.

I’ll give you the reasons, you’ll give me counter reasons and all will be theoretical if it will work or dont.

Just saying.. people were like “you’re crazy, we’re not gonna run a drummond and embiid frontcourt”. And look where we are.

*i repeat. Im not saying we play big as default.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#560 » by mjkvol » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:23 pm

76ciology wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I'm not saying definitively whether it would work or not, although I would only want to see it in very specific situations and in small doses.

I will say this - I'm not sure that Marc Jackson or Jim Lynam are the sources I would rely on for this subject. Both of them, and I'll include Rivers, learned, played, and coached the game when it was the stone ages compared to the way the game is played at its highest level today.

Hell, Jackson gave no viable reasons to play two bigs when he was working the game the other night, he just kept laughingly talking about "giving props to the big guys", being one himself. Between Lynam, Jackson, and Alaa, we don't have a single analyst here who played or coached the game the way it is played today.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers