ImageImageImage

Simmons Trade Thread - The Ocho

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Re: Simmons Trade Thread - The Ocho 

Post#661 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:25 pm

76ciology wrote:Would you trade Christian Woods, Jalen Green and Eric Gordon for Ben Simmons and Maxey?

Gordon and Woods can help us right away while we can stash Green on the side while he gets read to be an alpha.

Yes, and I'd include two future first round picks.

Green has a chance to be special (even despite his lackluster rookie season so far).
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#662 » by KL78192020 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:38 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Tomjas wrote:The Celtics would be better if they replaced Brown with Simmons as their offence is so iso heavy and just doesn’t work

I think it would be a mistake for the Celtics to focus on improving the regular season offensive symmetry. Tatum is already a mediocre #1 option and now you'd be asking Dennis Schroder to be a #2. That won't bode well for their playoff chances.

yea they would really struggle to score anything, Smart and Schroder already stink on offense.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#663 » by KL78192020 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:12 am

thenbaman wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Simmons and Thybulle for Edwards and salary (Beverley and Prince expirings).

Over payment.

Edwards is a beast. Don't think the Wolves would do that.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#664 » by Mik317 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:35 am

again more role players is just moving deck chairs on on the Titanic.

again again I am not sure Ben gets you more than that of course....but it does nothing for the team.

THAT BEING SAID...the team got blitzed tonight by the Wolves' athleticism. And if Seth, Niang, Kork nd co aren't making up for that with otherworldly shooting..**** gets dicey. Team has too many slow, small and weak guys who while they compete...just don't have the juice to always keep up. So if...when it comes down to it...upgrading the current core with either bigger or faster versions of themselves isn't the end of the world either.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,844

Post#665 » by mjkvol » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:00 am

the_process wrote:We’re all frustrated with the situation. But Morey needs to lower his sights in the near term and play a longer term game. That means he needs to be okay with taking back draft picks as a key component of a deal. The stubbornness on both sides is making this worse.

Quite honestly, I'm at a point where I'd prefer a package of picks, especially given some of the more 'realistic' players we might be able to get for Simmons at this point. I can't imagine that anyone here seriously believes this is a team that is one player away from competing for a championship - unless that player is Durant, Giannis, or the other Curry.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#666 » by Mik317 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:39 am

i would have taken a deal a while ago lol.

But I get why Morey hasn't. Don't have a clue what he will get in the end tho. I would have "settled" for Murray and used him as a smaller, more comprimising Ben and kept it moving...don't know if he is on the table anymore with his start to the year. My list is way bigger than 30 lol.

This is also why I am not a GM either. As stated,,,I think Morey is overrated (most of the big name GMs are) but in this situation I'd rather have a **** like him than someone trying to make their way and end up trading the farm for nothing. This move is kinda IT for the team barring Springer having the Maxey improvement path or a secret tank ...neither of which even in the best possible scenario makes us better in 2-3 years either. Not saying give up, blow it up and cry in the corner either. I didn't think the Bucks would win it all after trading for Jrue either. **** happens and while Steph is scary as ****, no one really is a run away team this season either but I have been of the mind that the mistakes of the past are simply too much to overcome in one move and we simply only have one viable move and its a **** move thanks to how the season ended. Its going to take a lot more moving pieces that many of us won't be able to see at this moment for things to work out probably. Who know maybe we trade for John Wall out of desperation,and KD decides to join Kyrie in his protest, Giannis decides to spend more time with his family, Steph gets TOS but it really is Wall space Jams his shooting ability. **** happens right lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,419

Post#667 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:18 am

^ this is why you need a big forward who can play defense and shoot, like Jerami, Woods or JJJ.

Until then you’re going to rely Drum and Embiid on defense, and some of Thybulle and Green. You’re gonna be bad on covering shooters and at the paint with your rotations on defense.

Seth and Maxey rotating to scorers is virtually an open shot.

This also makes you a bad PnR defense team where teams can run endless PnR and force Embiid or Drum to step out, and once they do, they can just feast with backdoor cuts in the paint.

Right now we are in the right direction. We can be a very good regular season team. But to be good in the playoffs, we need to accept that Niang and Tobi are ineffective as 4s on defense and we need some size at that position while not hurting our spacing for dribble drive offense and Embiid ISO play.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#668 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:24 am

Defensively, a team you can compare us with is the Blazers. The backcourt construction does not fit with the frontcourt construction, in defense. Roco at PF is not the way to make it work. Just as Tobi and Niang is not the way to make it work on defense with Maxey and Seth.

And until we make some changes, we’ll always have a big hole on defense. And unlike the Blazers, we’re not that potent enough on offense to outscore teams with what were giving up on our backcourt.

Another good comparison is the Jazz where they have Royce O’Neal and Bogdanovic. And in the playoffs teams like to play against the Jazz for all you need to do is have a gameplan to neutralize Gobert on defense and it’s easy peasy.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#669 » by Negrodamus » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:44 am

76ciology wrote:Defensively, a team you can compare us with is the Blazers. The backcourt construction does not fit with the frontcourt construction, in defense. Roco at PF is not the way to make it work. Just as Tobi and Niang is not the way to make it work on defense with Maxey and Seth.

And until we make some changes, we’ll always have a big hole on defense. And unlike the Blazers, we’re not that potent enough on offense to outscore teams with what were giving up on our backcourt.

Another good comparison is the Jazz where they have Royce O’Neal and Bogdanovic. And in the playoffs teams like to play against the Jazz for all you need to do is have a gameplan to neutralize Gobert on defense and it’s easy peasy.

Teams with little backcourts:

Blazers
Cavs
last year's Wizards (Dinwiddie provides a little more size)
Sixers
Jazz

Teams that won't win a championship:
(mentioned above)

If we're committing to this Maxey future, we should either have Curry come off the bench or trade him. I don't think two guys under 6'4 with ranging levels of dubious defensive reputation is the move going forward.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#670 » by 76ciology » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:53 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:Defensively, a team you can compare us with is the Blazers. The backcourt construction does not fit with the frontcourt construction, in defense. Roco at PF is not the way to make it work. Just as Tobi and Niang is not the way to make it work on defense with Maxey and Seth.

Teams with little backcourts:

Blazers
Cavs
last year's Wizards (Dinwiddie provides a little more size)
Sixers
Jazz

Teams that won't win a championship:
(mentioned above)

If we're committing to this Maxey future, we should either have Curry come off the bench or trade him. I don't think two guys under 6'4 with ranging levels of dubious defensive reputation is the move going forward.

Yes. Specially those two are not THAT good on offense where you can invite teams for a scoring contest.

You can run the Maxey-Seth backcourt on some match-ups but you dont run it on heavy minutes on almost all match-ups.

Teams will small backcourt usually just try to load up at the C position to make up for it. Cavs is a team that has overloaded it with a Jaret Allen-Mobley at 4&5 then markkanen at SF. This is why I say in the ATL thread that its an interesting experiment.

A lot of them just rely on their C on defense. But this has been proven to work on RS but struggle on playoffs.

Its just a growing pain of evolving our team. We’re not yet done.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#671 » by Tomjas » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:29 am

Seth is an ideal 6th man as is Tyrese

Playing them together is not muy bueno
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,157

Post#672 » by M2J » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:33 am

Trade him for Hield and Haliburton if you're lucky, and keep it moving
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#673 » by freshie2 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:04 pm

What are the odds the Simmons trade is announced 5 minutes after the trade pool expands in December. They can’t ride this out for the season (or two) and definitely can get an upgrade at wing for Simmons. So tough with this team/roster in limbo waiting for the Simmons situation to be resolved.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#674 » by stormi » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:05 pm

freshie2 wrote:What are the odds the Simmons trade is announced 5 minutes after the trade pool expands in December. They can’t ride this out for the season (or two) and definitely can get an upgrade at wing for Simmons. So tough with this team/roster in limbo waiting for the Simmons situation to be resolved.

Who do you have in mind?

The team as currently constructed gives me no faith. Honestly I'm actively cheering on losses / draft positioning until this saga is resolved.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#675 » by GOBlazers » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:09 pm

I'd love to see a poll showing what % of the 76ers fan base supports trading Ben Simmons for fair market value. I can't imagine most fans support missing the playoffs in the hopes someday a marginally better offer will come in for Ben. Seems to me that the 76ers recent mismanagement will make future top free agents less likely to sign with Philly.

This is all bad for a team with championship aspirations, IMHO. Ben's stock will rise when he's traded and back on the court. But Morey's and the team's stock may be more difficult to restore.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#676 » by kuclas » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:31 pm

GOBlazers wrote:I'd love to see a poll showing what % of the 76ers fan base supports trading Ben Simmons for fair market value. I can't imagine most fans support missing the playoffs in the hopes someday a marginally better offer will come in for Ben. Seems to me that the 76ers recent mismanagement will make future top free agents less likely to sign with Philly.

This is all bad for a team with championship aspirations, IMHO. Ben's stock will rise when he's traded and back on the court. But Morey's and the team's stock may be more difficult to restore.

Sixers are better than their 10-10 record. Obviously the Covid players all missing 5-9 games. When you have 2-5 players out. It’s gonna to hurt any team especially 3 starters out (excluding ben) for 4 plus games

So while they could miss the playoffs if embiid is injured for long stretches. They will
Make playoffs if embiid is able to play 60-65 games. That’s a big if right now since embiid has missed 10 games already

But does it really matter if Simmons is back? I’d just let him rot for refusing to play. Cause if they can’t win a second round series with home court Vs hawks. Bringing role players isn’t gonna to help.

This is more about making a statement that players on long term super max contracts cannot be cry babies and demand their own way.

And I support that. Enough is enough. Show up and play if you aren’t traded.

This stuff (the cry baby) works with harden Leonard AD kyrie butler cause they had 1-2 years left. This stuff won’t work wirh 4 years left. Sixers have the leverage.

If Simmons had 2 years left. He would have been traded already. You are setting precedent if u give in to a player refusing to play.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#677 » by GutUNC » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:53 pm

GOBlazers wrote:I'd love to see a poll showing what % of the 76ers fan base supports trading Ben Simmons for fair market value. I can't imagine most fans support missing the playoffs in the hopes someday a marginally better offer will come in for Ben. Seems to me that the 76ers recent mismanagement will make future top free agents less likely to sign with Philly.

Wild guess here that "fair market value" would be, oh I don't know, a veteran scoring guard on a negative value contract? Maybe one with local college ties?

The rest is just lazy strawmen that don't warrant attention.
GDTBATH
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#678 » by the_process » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:59 pm

CJ, 3 1sts, and 2 swaps is about fair value. You down?
GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#679 » by GOBlazers » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:18 pm

kuclas wrote:But does it really matter if Simmons is back? I’d just let him rot for refusing to play. Cause if they can’t win a second round series with home court Vs hawks. Bringing role players isn’t gonna to help.

This is more about making a statement that players on long term super max contracts cannot be cry babies and demand their own way.

This stuff (the cry baby) works with harden Leonard AD kyrie butler cause they had 1-2 years left. This stuff won’t work wirh 4 years left. Sixers have the leverage.

If Simmons had 2 years left. He would have been traded already. You are setting precedent if u give in to a player refusing to play.

Players aren't slaves. If they don't want to play for a team, then they don't have to. And if you treat a player bad, then they are less likely to want to play for you.

A disgruntled Ben Simmons with mental health issues does not have as high of a trade value as Daryl Morey and ownership would like. But that's the situation they are in. Why shoot yourself in the foot to win a dick waving contest?

Hopefully for all parties involved, Darly takes the best offer available on December 15th.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#680 » by the_process » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:19 pm

GOBlazers wrote:
kuclas wrote:But does it really matter if Simmons is back? I’d just let him rot for refusing to play. Cause if they can’t win a second round series with home court Vs hawks. Bringing role players isn’t gonna to help.

Players aren't slaves. If they don't want to play for a team, then they don't have to. And if you treat a player bad, then they are less likely to want to play for you.

A disgruntled Ben Simmons with mental health issues does not have as high of a trade value as Daryl Morey and ownership would like. But that's the situation they are in. Why shoot yourself in the foot to win a dick waving contest?

Hopefully for all parties involved, Darly takes the best offer available on December 15th.

Please take my team's garbage!
:lol:

Anyway, there's this thing called contract law.

If Ben would like to be a FA, he can agree to a buyout where he waives the remainder of his salary, and then go to wherever his heart is most content.

Do you really think that's going to happen?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers