ImageImageImage

Maxey and Embiid?

Moderators: BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 49,979
And1: 16,208
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#21 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:13 am

phillynative wrote:He's more louwill than Tony parker


Tony Parker = high FG%
Lou Will = high FTr

He’s more like TP.

But he can be better because he has some Lou Will’s shooting in his game.

Oh, and definitely better than our insane young talent ex-starting PG
“If anyone can refute me—show me I'm making a mistake or looking at things from the wrong perspective—I'll gladly change. It's the truth I'm after, and the truth never harmed anyone." Marcus Aurelius.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
Posts: 16,612
And1: 1,938
Joined: Mar 17, 2004

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#22 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:22 pm

I've been saying this too...Maxey is very similar to Tony Parker/Lou Williams. He has similar traits to both of those players. I'm not going to complain at all about that if that is what his ceiling is. Both Parker and Williams were vastly underrated with how good they were in their prime years.
#Doc hates Shake #41-41
Murray_17
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,965
And1: 3,550
Joined: Mar 20, 2020
   

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#23 » by Murray_17 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:32 pm

I think the real problem is not the fit of Maxey with Joel but how to mesh those two with Tobias.

Not even the most optimist among us though Maxey would be playing at this level this early, and with how he has played without Embiid out there i think the question should be "why are we not using him as our first scoring option right now?", there are a lot of possible answers to this, among them "is still too early" but one of them is also "because Tobias is our first scoring option without Embiid".

The real question, if Maxey mantains this level, is how we make him our second option without hurting Tobias or how we explain Tobias that he is the third or even the fourth option (If Seth's doing fine).

Logically the answer would be: trade Tobias. But we know that's almost impossible lol.
Zumramania
Sophomore
Posts: 199
And1: 96
Joined: Jan 21, 2019
   

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#24 » by Zumramania » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:58 pm

I think Morey will trade Tobias after he trades Ben, especially if he does it at the end of this season, because Tobi will be more tradeable then. I understand this, but I would really like to see this team breathe without Tobias, I think they could be surprisingly good with a healthy Embiid (like maybe ECF), even without a Ben replacement.

I also wonder how much will Tobi get for his next contract. Fun fact: this is already his fourth season with us, and if he stays a while longer this season we will be the team he's played the most career games for (currently this is Orlando). So depressing haha.
User avatar
mjkvol
Senior
Posts: 615
And1: 388
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#25 » by mjkvol » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:50 am

Murray_17 wrote:I think the real problem is not the fit of Maxey with Joel but how to mesh those two with Tobias.

Not even the most optimist among us though Maxey would be playing at this level this early, and with how he has played without Embiid out there i think the question should be "why are we not using him as our first scoring option right now?", there are a lot of possible answers to this, among them "is still too early" but one of them is also "because Tobias is our first scoring option without Embiid".

The real question, if Maxey mantains this level, is how we make him our second option without hurting Tobias or how we explain Tobias that he is the third or even the fourth option (If Seth's doing fine).

Logically the answer would be: trade Tobias. But we know that's almost impossible lol.


When (and if) everyone gets healthy, that's going to be an issue, because the way Maxey is gaining confidence and improving, how on earth do you sell Harris as a 'second option'? This group has moved beyond the static iso, pound away game that defines Harris, so how does Rivers deal with that issue?

As you said, the logical answer is to move Tobias at the deadline, but I don't see that happening.
DCasey91
Head Coach
Posts: 6,311
And1: 3,286
Joined: Dec 15, 2020
   

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#26 » by DCasey91 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:08 am

Get Ben back put Harris to the bench and run this:

Maxey
Green
Niang
Simmons
Embiid

Can even put Curry/Kork instead of Niang.

That setup has to me is the team to go far.
Eyeamok
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,985
And1: 2,112
Joined: Mar 02, 2006

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#27 » by Eyeamok » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:02 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Get Ben back put Harris to the bench and run this:

Maxey
Green
Niang
Harris
Embiid

Can even put Curry/Kork instead of Niang.

That setup has to me is the team to go far.


How are you getting Ben back? And where is he on your starting 5 ? I'm not quite sure but I think you are doing this wrong.
Please allow me to introduce myself I'm a man of wealth and taste.

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 32,558
And1: 14,705
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#28 » by Sixerscan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:I think the real problem is not the fit of Maxey with Joel but how to mesh those two with Tobias.

Not even the most optimist among us though Maxey would be playing at this level this early, and with how he has played without Embiid out there i think the question should be "why are we not using him as our first scoring option right now?", there are a lot of possible answers to this, among them "is still too early" but one of them is also "because Tobias is our first scoring option without Embiid".

The real question, if Maxey mantains this level, is how we make him our second option without hurting Tobias or how we explain Tobias that he is the third or even the fourth option (If Seth's doing fine).

Logically the answer would be: trade Tobias. But we know that's almost impossible lol.


When (and if) everyone gets healthy, that's going to be an issue, because the way Maxey is gaining confidence and improving, how on earth do you sell Harris as a 'second option'? This group has moved beyond the static iso, pound away game that defines Harris, so how does Rivers deal with that issue?

As you said, the logical answer is to move Tobias at the deadline, but I don't see that happening.


I don't think Tobias is the kind of guy that would raise a huge stink if you asked him to take less of a role. He's a level headed guy that's gotten paid already. I also don't get this idea that Tobias is useless when he doesn't have the ball constantly. No one is ignoring Tobias Harris standing wide open at the 3 point line without the ball. He's a good cutter and great in transition.

Anyway, the Sixers are hardly the first team to ever have more than 2 capable scorers on their roster. The way you address this is to get away from doing the bench mob stuff, and split the starters up more, giving both Maxey and Harris time to be the first option or second option if Embiid is out there. And maybe part of this is Embiid can have his usage rate drop slightly so he can be more dominant on defense and have more energy at the end of the game.

Longer term you might want to move Harris (like Zumramania said, he gets more tradeable as his contract gets shorter), but I don't think it's something that needs to happen this year.
User avatar
mjkvol
Senior
Posts: 615
And1: 388
Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#29 » by mjkvol » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:51 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:I think the real problem is not the fit of Maxey with Joel but how to mesh those two with Tobias.

Not even the most optimist among us though Maxey would be playing at this level this early, and with how he has played without Embiid out there i think the question should be "why are we not using him as our first scoring option right now?", there are a lot of possible answers to this, among them "is still too early" but one of them is also "because Tobias is our first scoring option without Embiid".

The real question, if Maxey mantains this level, is how we make him our second option without hurting Tobias or how we explain Tobias that he is the third or even the fourth option (If Seth's doing fine).

Logically the answer would be: trade Tobias. But we know that's almost impossible lol.


When (and if) everyone gets healthy, that's going to be an issue, because the way Maxey is gaining confidence and improving, how on earth do you sell Harris as a 'second option'? This group has moved beyond the static iso, pound away game that defines Harris, so how does Rivers deal with that issue?

As you said, the logical answer is to move Tobias at the deadline, but I don't see that happening.


I don't think Tobias is the kind of guy that would raise a huge stink if you asked him to take less of a role. He's a level headed guy that's gotten paid already. I also don't get this idea that Tobias is useless when he doesn't have the ball constantly. No one is ignoring Tobias Harris standing wide open at the 3 point line without the ball. He's a good cutter and great in transition.

Anyway, the Sixers are hardly the first team to ever have more than 2 capable scorers on their roster. The way you address this is to get away from doing the bench mob stuff, and split the starters up more, giving both Maxey and Harris time to be the first option or second option if Embiid is out there. And maybe part of this is Embiid can have his usage rate drop slightly so he can be more dominant on defense and have more energy at the end of the game.

Longer term you might want to move Harris (like Zumramania said, he gets more tradeable as his contract gets shorter), but I don't think it's something that needs to happen this year.


Very good points, and trading him this year was always going to be unlikely anyway. This year we are pretty much what we are, unless Morey is able to deliver a trade deadline surprise. My concern is less with Tobias actually and more with Doc, who clearly loves him - it's hard to imagine Doc relegating Harris to a lesser role. We'll see.

Moving forward, it's essential that Tobias is moved and that chunk of the cap is spent on players that will better fit this Embiid-Maxey based paradigm.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers