ImageImageImage

Maxey and Embiid?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#101 » by stormi » Wed Feb 2, 2022 4:22 am

76ciology wrote:What makes undersized combo guards be very good?

Game changing playmaking coupled with being relentless shooters from 3 with unlimited range.

Lamelo, Garland, Trae fit that mold.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#102 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 2, 2022 5:10 am

stormi wrote:

Game changing playmaking coupled with being relentless shooters from 3 with unlimited range.

Lamelo is quite big for a combo guard in my standard
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#103 » by SixthStreet » Wed Feb 2, 2022 5:16 am

I think Maxey is already a "good" shooter. The question to address is whether he gets to be a good volume shooter. I think that ultimately boils down to willingness and comfort level. Something that Tobias, while being an objectively "good" shooter, never figured out or was comfortable enough to try. I'd bet on it. I don't think he'll get his FTr to star levels but I'd bet on him figuring out the volume shooting aspect of stardom.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,754

Post#104 » by Sixersftw » Wed Feb 2, 2022 1:18 pm

76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:

The term Combo guard has little to do with size. It's just a guard that is a mix of SG and PG. However, Lamelo certainly aint undersized. I agree that Maxey's volume has to go up but we are starting from a pretty good accuracy floor. If he can get into the ~5 3s per game it unlocks that PnR gravity that someone like Trae feasts on.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#105 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 2, 2022 2:54 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:

The term Combo guard has little to do with size. It's just a guard that is a mix of SG and PG. However, Lamelo certainly aint undersized. I agree that Maxey's volume has to go up but we are starting from a pretty good accuracy floor. If he can get into the ~5 3s per game it unlocks that PnR gravity that someone like Trae feasts on.

Oh sorry

I mean. Lamelo ball is quite big for an undersized combo guard for my standard

My OP was about undersized comboguard
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,808

Post#106 » by Mik317 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 3:32 pm

I hope the recent surge of national hype leads to make ticky tack calls on his drives lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#107 » by rzzzzz » Wed Feb 2, 2022 3:57 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I think Maxey is already a "good" shooter. The question to address is whether he gets to be a good volume shooter. I think that ultimately boils down to willingness and comfort level. Something that Tobias, while being an objectively "good" shooter, never figured out or was comfortable enough to try. I'd bet on it. I don't think he'll get his FTr to star levels but I'd bet on him figuring out the volume shooting aspect of stardom.

Seems to me that games where Doc just turns him loose he turns into a good volume shooter.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,049

Post#108 » by Murray_17 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Give him the Max
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#109 » by zaz102 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 10:23 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Give him the Max
Max Maxey. I bet he like that nickname better than Mad Maxey lol
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#110 » by LloydFree » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:45 pm

76ciology wrote:What makes undersized combo guards be very good? I think its being able to chuck 3s. That’s what I see from Garland and Trae.

If Maxey wants to take it to the next level, it all depends on how much and how good he can in chucking those 3s.

But hey, Rome isn’t built in a day.

Garland and Trae are are not undersized Combo Guards. They are Point Guards who can hit the three. Maxey is an undersized Combo Guard, because he's not a legitimate PG, he's a guy who can run some Point in a pinch.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#111 » by rzzzzz » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:05 pm

LloydFree wrote:Garland and Trae are are not undersized Combo Guards. They are Point Guards who can hit the three. Maxey is an undersized Combo Guard, because he's not a legitimate PG, he's a guy who can run some Point in a pinch.

Which is why Harden exhibiting so much PG skill at this point is most welcome. And why I wish we had another guard, a pg who can D it up, in the rotation. I love it when Maxey focuses on scoring rather than deferring. (As they say, you can’t teach speed.)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers