Re: Delaware Bluecoats Discussion 

Post#62 » by Stanford » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#63 » by Monix » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:29 pm

with how poor the Sixers' perimeter D has been with Green and Thybulle out, perhaps Springer can get some burn with the big boys
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,885

Post#64 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:35 pm

I'd love for Springer to blossom here, but at the very least he is playing his way into being a nice trade chip.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#65 » by Skates » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:39 pm

mjkvol wrote:I'd love for Springer to blossom here, but at the very least he is playing his way into being a nice trade chip.

This, and/or they want him to take a pretty full redshirt year at his age and stage of development. His playing his way into being an asset of any kind for next year, traded or playing, works for me.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,680

Post#66 » by stormi » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:12 am

Springer might be something... Something about his ugly awkward game gives me confidence
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#67 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:18 am

Always trust the traits. Springer's assist percentage, steal percentage, block percentage, and per minute scoring at Tennessee said all it needed to about his talent. He's the best rookie contract player we have in the organization (I think Isaiah Joe is #2) despite there being a couple of guys ahead of them in the pecking order.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 am

Kobblehead wrote:Always trust the traits. Springer's assist percentage, steal percentage, block percentage, and per minute scoring at Tennessee said all it needed to about his talent. He's the best rookie contract player we have in the organization (I think Isaiah Joe is #2) despite there being a couple of guys ahead of them in the pecking order.

I watched most of his games last season at UT, the kid has everything it takes to be a starting guard in the league but a consistent perimeter game, and he's showing flashes of that now.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,589

Post#69 » by Iverson Armband » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 am

Kobblehead wrote:Always trust the traits. Springer's assist percentage, steal percentage, block percentage, and per minute scoring at Tennessee said all it needed to about his talent. He's the best rookie contract player we have in the organization (I think Isaiah Joe is #2) despite there being a couple of guys ahead of them in the pecking order.

So you have Joe as better than Maxey?

Interesting.
always a jump shot away.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#70 » by HotelVitale » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:37 pm

mjkvol wrote:
I watched most of his games last season at UT, the kid has everything it takes to be a starting guard in the league but a consistent perimeter game, and he's showing flashes of that now.
He looked pretty miserable in SL, super raw in terms of basics like how to dribble against a decent NBA defender. I'm already down with the traits but gonna have to give them even more credit if they end up trumping the eye test that much with Springer.

As always though I bow down to the great mystery of 'can these guys adapt to NBA speed, strength, and timing and just f'ing play at this level?' Seems like Springer was able to level up and adapt his perimeter game quickly for whatever reason. No one knows who can do that until it's happening. Hail to the great mystery again.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by mjkvol » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:44 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
He looked pretty miserable in SL, super raw in terms of basics like how to dribble against a decent NBA defender. I'm already down with the traits but gonna have to give them even more credit if they end up trumping the eye test that much with Springer.

As always though I bow down to the great mystery of 'can these guys adapt to NBA speed, strength, and timing and just f'ing play at this level?' Seems like Springer was able to level up and adapt his perimeter game quickly for whatever reason. No one knows who can do that until it's happening. Hail to the great mystery again.

Strength isn't going to be an issue, but adapting to the speed of the NBA game will be his biggest challenge as well as developing a consistent 3 pt. stroke IMO. The more spot up and step back threes he takes now, the better.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,795

Post#72 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:30 pm

He's going to need some time to mesh with the Sixers before the playoffs. I actually think we'll need him as a 3&D option.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

He's going to need some time to mesh with the Sixers before the playoffs. I actually think we'll need him as a 3&D option.

Do you really believe that Doc would integrate a kid this raw into his playoff rotation? Hell, he can barely bring himself to give Joe serious minutes.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#74 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:50 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Do you really believe that Doc would integrate a kid this raw into his playoff rotation? Hell, he can barely bring himself to give Joe serious minutes.

Probably not, but we're going to be seeing Kyrie, LaVine, Holiday, Garland, VanVleet, Young (if he can get his team there) and/or Beal in the playoffs and have only Thybulle to show for it as a defensive wing. As the elite guard are bludgeoning Curry and Maxey, we're going to need an answer defensively. Doc might get desperate. I'm hoping he'll ingratiate himself in the short window between the G League ending the NBA Playoffs beginning.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#75 » by rzzzzz » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:42 pm

Groan. Can picture a malnourished season with Simmons not traded and promising youngsters not played to fill the holes to give Embiid enough complimentary scheming not to waste the best performance we’ve seen out of a sixer since…Moses’ first healthy season? (And how far would he have gotten without Andrew Toney?)
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:26 pm

rzzzzz wrote:Groan. Can picture a malnourished season with Simmons not traded and promising youngsters not played to fill the holes to give Embiid enough complimentary scheming not to waste the best performance we’ve seen out of a sixer since…Moses’ first healthy season? (And how far would he have gotten without Andrew Toney?)

Very simple - no Toney, no 1983 Championship.

My favorite ever NBA player, a lock HOFer if he stayed healthy. Just ask Larry Bird.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:33 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Probably not, but we're going to be seeing Kyrie, LaVine, Holiday, Garland, VanVleet, Young (if he can get his team there) and/or Beal in the playoffs and have only Thybulle to show for it as a defensive wing. As the elite guard are bludgeoning Curry and Maxey, we're going to need an answer defensively. Doc might get desperate. I'm hoping he'll ingratiate himself in the short window between the G League ending the NBA Playoffs beginning.

With you 100%. To me, the great coaches integrate young talent early to see what they have and how much they can handle, and then utilize them in big spots where they might be able to help. One of the reasons I think Doc is a good coach who relates well to players, but fails in the biggest spots often due to stubbornness and loyalty to veteran players even when they're struggling.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#78 » by Monix » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:11 am

that latest youtube video...

choppy editing, half of it was free throws - weak sauce
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#79 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:26 pm

Watching the Ignite-Blue Coats game right now. The lineup just a moment ago was Powell, Springer, Brown, Reed, and Bassey. They were waxing them up and down the court. Fun watching Powell play well again.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#80 » by Foshan » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:55 am

Didn’t Maxey get some post all star burn last year and a few playoff minutes? (And we all wishes he had gotten more time earlier!) maybe history repeating itself

Return to Philadelphia 76ers