ImageImageImage

New & improved Ben Simmons trade thread Part 9

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Re: New & improved Ben Simmons trade thread Part 9 

Post#1421 » by Skates » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:36 am

Fox is seen around the league as a negative contract already and is just at the beginning of a long max contract. He isn’t a fit here, despite his getting to the line is not an efficient player and is not an end of game closer, his reputation is exactly the opposite of being a closer and with good reason.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 202

Post#1422 » by SixersSince82 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:27 am

Who do we think is more desperate The 6ers, a 5th seed while their 2nd best player hasn't suited up, or the Kings, a 10th seed who hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years? It's pretty obvious, right? Do we really think Sacramento will simply do nothing? Monte McNair will hold out as long as he can trying to find a 3rd team to send Fox to, but when he comes up short, Vivek will push him to include Haliburton and a deal will be worked out.
SixersFanInNY
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#1423 » by SixersFanInNY » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:48 am

To me, the number one rule in any trade is to not get back any non-max players on max or near-max contracts. Fox qualifies as one, and I am convinced that everybody now wanting to trade Tobias will also want to trade Fox next year if he is a Sixer (no, joining the Sixers will not rehab his value).

As a max contract, any Simmons trades will get back either a max contract or multiple smaller contracts. Every available max contract I see is for non-max players, so I'd much rather get mid-salary players + high draft picks. I'd try for Halliburton + filler expiring in 2 or fewer years + draft picks/swaps.
Madd Squabbles
Junior
And1: 192

Post#1424 » by Madd Squabbles » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:03 am

SixersSince82 wrote:Who do we think is more desperate The 6ers, a 5th seed while their 2nd best player hasn't suited up, or the Kings, a 10th seed who hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years? It's pretty obvious, right? Do we really think Sacramento will simply do nothing? Monte McNair will hold out as long as he can trying to find a 3rd team to send Fox to, but when he comes up short, Vivek will push him to include Haliburton and a deal will be worked out.

I don't believe the Kings are desperate at all. They know they are not making the playoffs. The Sixers are the team that has something to lose in throwing away a year of Embiid playing at an MVP level.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 206

Post#1425 » by ConstableChaos » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:15 am

Madd Squabbles wrote:
SixersSince82 wrote:Who do we think is more desperate The 6ers, a 5th seed while their 2nd best player hasn't suited up, or the Kings, a 10th seed who hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years? It's pretty obvious, right? Do we really think Sacramento will simply do nothing? Monte McNair will hold out as long as he can trying to find a 3rd team to send Fox to, but when he comes up short, Vivek will push him to include Haliburton and a deal will be worked out.

I don't believe the Kings are desperate at all. They know they are not making the playoffs. The Sixers are the team that has something to lose in throwing away a year of Embiid playing at an MVP level.

the window on embiid is open - need to not find a 'top 25 player' but guys who fit around joel. sixers can 100% win it this year wide open

i find it hard to believe he will be mvp caliber in 4 seasons - late career marc gasol more likely in 2026-27
Olabikkel
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#1426 » by Olabikkel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:32 am

The most easy trade is Just with kings, no harris involved, no 3rd teams involved.
Would really, really prefer hali over fox because of fit.

Phi: haliburton, hield, bagley
Kings: Simmons, milton, reed

This way kings lose only 1 real starter (haliburton).
Morey wants more but doubt he could get more, additional pick/pick swap would be great.
If we can flip bagley to 3rd team for something we need: fine, if we can give him a role (back up c/pf) fine also.

If it is only fox Who is available:
Phi: fox, hield (+picks)
Kings: Simmons, green, milton
But then we really should turn fox into other players via 3rd team. (Grant+joseph+picks?) (Ingram, but dont see nop doing this trade).
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#1427 » by hookshot199 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:35 am

Olabikkel wrote:The most easy trade is Just with kings, no harris involved, no 3rd teams involved.
Would really, really prefer hali over fox because of fit.

Phi: haliburton, hield, bagley
Kings: Simmons, milton, reed

This way kings lose only 1 real starter (haliburton).
Morey wants more but doubt he could get more, additional pick/pick swap would be great.
If we can flip bagley to 3rd team for something we need: fine, if we can give him a role (back up c/pf) fine also.

If it is only fox Who is available:
Phi: fox, hield (+picks)
Kings: Simmons, green, milton
But then we really should turn fox into other players via 3rd team. (Grant+joseph+picks?) (Ingram, but dont see nop doing this trade).

Why not? I believe in devaluing a team's players (Ingram, for instance) to argue for a trade. On the other hand, they don't have a top-tier point guard IMO.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#1428 » by hookshot199 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:01 am

Skates wrote:Fox is seen around the league as a negative contract already and is just at the beginning of a long max contract. He isn’t a fit here, despite his getting to the line is not an efficient player and is not an end of game closer, his reputation is exactly the opposite of being a closer and with good reason.

I don't believe he was seen as a negative contract when he signed it 14 months ago. The only reason I see not making a trade for Fox is that it could cause problems for Maxey's development. I'm not sure Doc is a skilled enough coach to manage minutes. Granted, Fox is not close to being Ben as a defensive player, and his size is a potential problem. On the other hand, anything is better than Ben on offense, if you're concerned about closing, because Ben can/t/won't (we don't know) shoot. Anything is better than zero. Just my opinion.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#1429 » by spikeslovechild » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:31 am

eyeatoma wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

This would also explain why the sudden report of wanting to add Harris to the package.

Dumping Harris to me isn't that appealing I know people here hate him but we will not only be getting less talent back but also be on the losing end talent wise for the return of Harris.

Saving our owner money might be Morey goal but as a fan it does nothing for me.
You can use the extra capspace to sign better players later on. It's not about saving the owners money lol.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

None of these trades create any cap room and the reality is with Embiid + Simmons or whomever takes his spot people need to stop pretending like we are going to ever have any space. We won't. Harris essentially is being overpaid by our owner but even if we zeroed his contract we'd have negliable cap space.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1430 » by BullyKing » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:53 am

AaronB wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

This may have already been discussed here but how do you guys feel about this? I’m not a Sixers fan but I’m a basketball fan of course and I hate that a player can just choose to not play for the team and still get paid.

I wonder why they started paying him again.

I'm guessing he met the very low bar needed within the CBA to claim mental issues.

LOL

I told you that this was the best route.

Time to take a victory lap.

Best thing that the 76ers could have done.

Will take another when the 76ers agree to transfer the entire fine escrow account back to Simmons.

You told us the Sixers should pay Simmons because then he would play. So no, you are entirely wrong and just the subject of everyone laughing at how sad your life must be that you're so desperate to be right about something that you would incorrectly claim this. Although given the amount of your life that you devote as an adult to trolling fans of another team on a message board, we didn't really need the confirmation as to the sadness of your life.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#1431 » by Tomjas » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:58 am

No team in their right mind agrees to take on Simmons & Harris as Ben will walk
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,800

Post#1432 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:03 pm

Lol at Fox being seen as a negative contract. He’s under 25 and just came of a 25 and 7 season.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#1433 » by sixers4real » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:08 pm

Tomjas wrote:No team in their right mind agrees to take on Simmons & Harris as Ben will walk

Kings are not in their mind.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#1434 » by freshie2 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Hopefully Ben wasn’t watching SNL
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#1435 » by Stanford » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:14 pm

Holy **** SNL sucks
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#1436 » by hookshot199 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:46 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Tomjas wrote:No team in their right mind agrees to take on Simmons & Harris as Ben will walk

The Kings are currently 0.5 game behind the Blazers for the play-in game, four games behind the Lakers and Clippers for the seventh and eighth seeds. If Simmons can get them into their first playoff in 15 years and then keep them in playoff contention for several years (we're not talking about top four, five or even six), that might be a trade worth making.

I don't watch as much basketball as many/most people on this board, but I have watched Barnes and have not been impressed for several years. So you get Harris - overpaid, granted, but a better player than Barnes - for two additional years. It's not the worst thing that could happen if Simmons - who's a regular season star - can keep them close to .500 and playoff bound. Just my opinion, of course.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#1437 » by sixers4real » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:06 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

The Kings are currently 0.5 game behind the Blazers for the play-in game, four games behind the Lakers and Clippers for the seventh and eighth seeds. If Simmons can get them into their first playoff in 15 years and then keep them in playoff contention for several years (we're not talking about top four, five or even six), that might be a trade worth making.

I don't watch as much basketball as many/most people on this board, but I have watched Barnes and have not been impressed for several years. So you get Harris - overpaid, granted, but a better player than Barnes - for two additional years. It's not the worst thing that could happen if Simmons - who's a regular season star - can keep them close to .500 and playoff bound. Just my opinion, of course.

I personally believe that while dealing with Sacramento and sending them both Simmons and Harris, and getting back Fox, Hield and Barnes, Morey will want to send Fox and Barnes to a third team and fourth team using our picks and young players.
Ideally Fox is send to New Orleans for Ingram, and Barnes send to Atlanta for John Collins. We can send unprotected picks to do so.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#1438 » by Stanford » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:28 pm

hookshot199 wrote:The Kings are currently 0.5 game behind the Blazers for the play-in game, four games behind the Lakers and Clippers for the seventh and eighth seeds.

I'm not sure blowing up their team in the middle of the season and trying to incorporate a guy who doesn't seem like he wants to play basketball is going to get them to the playoffs. If Ben can manage it, fair enough. But it makes more sense for them as an offseason move, in my opinion.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#1439 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:45 pm

SixersFanInNY wrote:To me, the number one rule in any trade is to not get back any non-max players on max or near-max contracts. Fox qualifies as one, and I am convinced that everybody now wanting to trade Tobias will also want to trade Fox next year if he is a Sixer (no, joining the Sixers will not rehab his value).

I believe that the only way Morey includes Fox in a deal is if he already has another deal in place to move him, or if it gets us off Harris and brings Haliburton back as well, which is highly unlikely.

Completely agree with the idea of avoiding non-max players on max contracts, but I'd rather be trying to move a 25 yr. old coming off a 25/7 season playing a premium position than a 28 yr. old tweener who has a game from a different century.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#1440 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Skates wrote:Fox is seen around the league as a negative contract already and is just at the beginning of a long max contract. He isn’t a fit here, despite his getting to the line is not an efficient player and is not an end of game closer, his reputation is exactly the opposite of being a closer and with good reason.

Your entire paragraph can be applied to both Ben Simmons and Tobias Harris. Both inferior players to Fox. Both older than Fox. Fox is clearly preferable to those two. We'd still come out on top. Especially considering we'd be getting Fox ++ assets.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers