Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,843

Re: The Joel rest game no one wants to watch 

Post#141 » by Ben » Tue Feb 1, 2022 3:50 am

Sixerscan wrote:This was fun

Morant is awesome

It was, and he is. But:
(a) he also missed two important FTs in the final minute of regulation and some other clutch opportunities in OT. Which is fine; he's only human. And yet
(b) maybe I'm just petty, but when the front page video on ESPN's NBA page, just after the Sixers have won, is a highlight reel comprised entirely of Morant's scoring plays, without a single clip of a Sixer score or stop, or any reference to the game-deciding plays-- especially when our guy had arguably a better game than Morant and was a +5 compared with Morant's -7-- I can't help but be like :banghead: .
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Post#142 » by Lovetron Joe » Tue Feb 1, 2022 4:21 am

Tobias Harris with 31, 5,5. Did what they needed him to do.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#143 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Feb 1, 2022 4:24 am

Wow. I thought we were gonna get smoked. Great W.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,803

Post#144 » by kriss73 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 8:21 am

Morant is a really funny player to watch, but the fact that on defense he covers the weakest opposite player is very telling about the gap he has to bridge before becoming a "two-way crack".
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#145 » by sixers4real » Tue Feb 1, 2022 10:26 am

Just finished watching the game because I live in Russia.

Words can’t describe how much I love this team.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#146 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Feb 1, 2022 12:07 pm

Woah! Game was blacked out in my area! Looks like I missed a gem!
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,519

Post#147 » by Slacktard » Tue Feb 1, 2022 1:39 pm

kriss73 wrote:Morant is a really funny player to watch, but the fact that on defense he covers the weakest opposite player is very telling about the gap he has to bridge before becoming a "two-way crack".

He's sorta Iverson with a better outside game, except last night that 'better shooting game' was absent so he was basically Iverson. Memphis needs some better offensive rebounding in their front-court especially at PF. Like some Tyrone Hill type dude who just exists to collect Ja's misses and then kick them back out or get an easy bucket.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#148 » by stormi » Tue Feb 1, 2022 1:45 pm

kriss73 wrote:Morant is a really funny player to watch, but the fact that on defense he covers the weakest opposite player is very telling about the gap he has to bridge before becoming a "two-way crack".

Draymond did an interview with Redick recently. Really good episode, but JJ asks him about the smartest players he's played with or against, he name drops Lebron and Chris Paul (obvious locks) and also Rondo. And then he also says Ja Morant. I found it interesting he didn't mention Luka or Trae or Lamelo or Tat-. He was really impressed by Ja Morant and said going up against him reminded him of the chess matches he's had against Lebron and Chris Paul, but just in those infantile stages. I think I get it. You could see towards the end of the game Ja just decided the game would be determined in his hands and he wasn't going to let the Grizzlies fade away without him having a say on the outcome. Well he did choke some free throws and missed some huge 3's late, but he looked all the makings of an upper tier elite franchise talent.

The thing Draymond said that separates Morant from Paul/James though was how they were masterful basketball scholars on the defensive side of the ball as well. That sixth sense to read passing lanes and destroy assists you thought were sure gimmies. Ja hasn't reached that stage yet.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#149 » by blargh » Tue Feb 1, 2022 2:41 pm

Until Ja improves his jumper, I think he’s basically peak DRose: a fringe MVP level player, but one you are a little nervous about building around, because you’re one injury away from losing the athleticism that makes him special. The right move against him on defense is almost always to go under the screen and let him shoot. He’ll make some percentage of them, but you live with it.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#150 » by Stanford » Tue Feb 1, 2022 2:47 pm

That video of Jo skipping down the tunnel makes it all worth it
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#151 » by Arsenal » Tue Feb 1, 2022 2:48 pm

Lovetron Joe wrote:Tobias Harris with 31, 5,5. Did what they needed him to do.

He's been excellent the last few weeks. Props where it's due.

Best thing is he's letting it fly off the catch from 3.

If he continues like this, he's worth that contract.
Lovetron Joe
Rookie
And1: 482

Post#152 » by Lovetron Joe » Tue Feb 1, 2022 3:02 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Lovetron Joe wrote:Tobias Harris with 31, 5,5. Did what they needed him to do.

He's been excellent the last few weeks. Props where it's due.

Best thing is he's letting it fly off the catch from 3.

If he continues like this, he's worth that contract.

Yes and for the year he has been at 19 pts, 7.4 rebounds and 4 assists. All better than his career averages. He is one on the team leaders and great in the community. If the Sixers dump him for an injured player or expirings they have no one better to step in. Props indeed.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,369

Post#153 » by Eyeamok » Tue Feb 1, 2022 3:43 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Woah! Game was blacked out in my area! Looks like I missed a gem!

Excellent game. Come on over I have it on my DVR.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,369

Post#154 » by Eyeamok » Tue Feb 1, 2022 3:52 pm

Last season Maxey took Miltons lunch money and minutes. This season I see Joe doing the same thing with Furkan. And I like Furkan.

I was watching the Memphis feed. At the end of the game Embiid was there giving high fives to every member of the team and smiling like a little kid. He is turning into a great leader.

Loved the fact that Curry just kept on doing what he does and his shot finally started to fall...just at the right time too.

Drummond is playing for a contract and he is doing an excellent job.

I'd rather have Paul Reed play that Bassey. What's up Doc?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#155 » by Murray_17 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 4:01 pm

I think the issue is, he's basically capped by his inability to shot at all.

His athelticism is unmatched in the league but is a double edge sword like we saw with Rose or how fast his game is gonna decline (look at Westbrook for example).

What i was fascinated by tho is his readings and adjustments. He was struggling bad against Thybulle at the begining of the game so he started calling for high screens and killed Mattise the entire third quarter by getting him screened, he started running the same pick and roll action Trae Young does on the Hawks and tried to get switched onto Drummond in every drive.

Reading the game that well on your third season is special.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,803

Post#156 » by kriss73 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 4:15 pm

Murray_17 wrote:

His athelticism is unmatched in the league but is a double edge sword like we saw with Rose or how fast his game is gonna decline (look at Westbrook for example).

What i was fascinated by tho is his readings and adjustments. He was struggling bad against Thybulle at the begining of the game so he started calling for high screens and killed Mattise the entire third quarter by getting him screened, he started running the same pick and roll action Trae Young does on the Hawks and tried to get switched onto Drummond in every drive.

This is for sure: I also think he is a very smart basketaball player.
However the pick & roll thing has more to do with the inability of Drummnd to defend the PG than a Tisse's issue imho.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#157 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 1, 2022 6:20 pm

JJJ looks bad or unhealthy?

Morant is morey on mid range because he can glide in the air.

Im more impressed with how Tobi generated his pts than Maxey. But Maxey definitely had a better overall game.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#158 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 1, 2022 6:48 pm

kriss73 wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

This is for sure: I also think he is a very smart basketaball player.
However the pick & roll thing has more to do with the inability of Drummnd to defend the PG than a Tisse's issue imho.

Yeah also they were having Thybulle go over the screen to take away a three (also like he was covering Young). If he goes under he's not getting in the paint as easily.

Good example of how not valuable most/all defensive stats are, so much of it is the coverage the coaches are telling them to run.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#159 » by SixthStreet » Tue Feb 1, 2022 10:41 pm

I haven't watched much of Morant in the pros but he is fun. He's able to create angles and pressures on the defense in the half court with his dribble like no one I've seen since peak Chris Paul and Steve Nash and before them AI. He's not a PG like Paul and Nash but he distorts and manipulates defenses with a live dribble like those two. It's fascinating. Don't believe he's the superstar the media has anointed him because of his serious deficiencies for the modern offensive game and complete lack of defense but as far as fun to watch, hell yes.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,759

Post#160 » by mjkvol » Tue Feb 1, 2022 11:18 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I haven't watched much of Morant in the pros but he is fun. He's able to create angles and pressures on the defense in the half court with his dribble like no one I've seen since peak Chris Paul and Steve Nash and before them AI. He's not a PG like Paul and Nash but he distorts and manipulates defenses with a live dribble like those two. It's fascinating. Don't believe he's the superstar the media has anointed him because of his serious deficiencies for the modern offensive game and complete lack of defense but as far as fun to watch, hell yes.

Ja is a really hard type of player to build a championship team around, very much like AI. I think as long as he stays healthy he's absolutely a superstar because he can do things few humans have ever or will ever do, and is electric any time he is on the court.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers