ImageImageImage

Embiid & Harden = Shaq & Kobe 2.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 825

Re: Embiid & Harden = Shaq & Kobe 2.0 

Post#41 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Mar 2, 2022 12:53 pm

Jhawk03 wrote:I just don't understand the people who keep saying "it's only two games" and "they have to win the title before you can celebrate". I mean in all seriousness, what do you expect the reaction to be after what we've witnessed over the last 10, 20, 30 years? Just suck it up and let the fans who overreact do so. Being the practical fan in the room or the buzzkill isn't even worth the effort unless you're being paid to be that critic or fan. It's just not worth the energy to try and temper the hype right now.

Part of the problem there is that people often use the binary distinction "win or loss" to determine the meaning to make of a game, whereas there is often a whole lot more information that can be obtained about any single game.

Take for example the finding that the Sixers' percentage of wide open shots has skyrocketed to the top of the league in the past two games. If that's a change in their team functioning that can be replicated reliably during the remaining regular season and the playoffs, versus being just two-game random variation, then there's a whole lot of meaning to be made of those games beyond "win or loss."
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,850

Post#42 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 2, 2022 1:16 pm

Jhawk03 wrote:I just don't understand the people who keep saying "it's only two games" and "they have to win the title before you can celebrate". I mean in all seriousness, what do you expect the reaction to be after what we've witnessed over the last 10, 20, 30 years? Just suck it up and let the fans who overreact do so. Being the practical fan in the room or the buzzkill isn't even worth the effort unless you're being paid to be that critic or fan. It's just not worth the energy to try and temper the hype right now.

Completely agree, but that's just fans (especially those in the northeast) being fans. But your point is a good one.

I find it comical to hear people criticize the teams we have beaten and say we haven't played anyone yet. Last I checked, MIN is one of the hottest teams in the league and pounded the Warriors last night. We weren't sharp and got the Knicks best effort and still won by 20. There will be bumps in the road, but damn, if you can't enjoy this what's the point of being a sports fan?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#43 » by Snotbubbles » Wed Mar 2, 2022 1:30 pm

I will admit, this trade has rejuvenated me. Every game day, I am excited to watch.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,382

Post#44 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 4:30 pm

I don’t mean to be a buzzkill just posting through my anxiety lol. At the end of the day, we’re all just posting our hopes, fears, joy, anxiety, etc that we’ve invested into this ridiculous franchise.
KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#45 » by KramerDSP » Wed Mar 2, 2022 9:26 pm

If Harden keeps this up for the rest of the season (acting like Nash when Embiid is on the court and Kobe when Embiid is off the court), what other times has a player replicated this in NBA history?

I really do think this trade rejuvenated Harden and that we will have Houston Harden for a couple years at least.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,900

Post#46 » by kuclas » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:57 am

Shaq was 28 when he got his first ring. Embiid turns 28 in a couple of weeks

Jordan was 28.

Curry was 27.
Lebron was 27.5

Embiid time is now. And helps he’s for harden. Who’s playing like a top 5 nba player right now.

Almost impossible to beat a team with two top 5 nba player. And Maxey playing like a top 50 nba player.

That’s all you need.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,850

Post#47 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:00 pm

It's pretty clear that Harden has been completely energized by this move and is all in here. And the fact that he and Embiid are already in sync and looking dominant is a bad sign for the rest of the league. With the supporting cast fine tuned by some Morey magic, this has the making of something really special over the next few seasons.

I don't think any direct comparisons can be made, as Harden and Embiid are very different players from Kobe/Magic and Shaq/Kareem, and besides, they are going to carve out their own legend as a duo right here.

This is almost surreal given how this franchise looked at the beginning of last season, and even before this season. We went from "the Process was flushed down the toilet" to "if we can only get something for Simmons" to a legit championship window so seemingly fast, even with all the frustration and heartache. When we have that Broad Street parade that is coming, a statue of Morey needs to be erected right in front of Wells Fargo.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#48 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Mar 3, 2022 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

James is all in because Embiid is all in to win the title this year.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,749

Post#49 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 3, 2022 6:51 pm

I think, for me at least, the inevitable first loss we experience will be infinitely easier to swallow now that we have a team that actually makes sense. I can watch the game without my baseline bewilderment over the construction of the team and I actually finally feel like we have a shot at the championship. The fact that we have two of this generations best players at their position is truly insane to me.

I don't think we will win it all this year because the roster hasn't been built to fill in our insufficiencies. Our defense is problematic and we still have strange fits with Thybulle and Harris. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we did win it all. Having the #1 and #2 best players on the court almost every night will always give you a fighting chance.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 825

Post#50 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 3, 2022 9:05 pm

Stephen A. Smith keeps chanting about how the Knicks aren't the competition by which to judge the Sixers' improvement.

Obviously the Sixers aren't going to perform as well against the best teams in the league as they did against the Knicks. However, a team need only win game seven by a point to win the NBA championship -- it doesn't need to dominate the opponent.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers