ImageImageImage

The Importance of the Bench in Winning an NBA Championship

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 833

The Importance of the Bench in Winning an NBA Championship 

Post#1 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 3, 2022 11:02 pm

I'm interested to see if there's anyone who can support the ideas that 1) a team's bench is important in winning an NBA championship, and 2) the Sixers' bench is significantly worse than what's required.

I'll start with last year's NBA champion as a reference point.

In last year's NBA championship series, the winner gave three players significant minutes off the bench: Bobby Portis, Pat Connaughton, and Jeff Teague. Those players combined to average 18.4 points per game in the series.
DHM
Junior
And1: 163

Re: The Importance of the Bench in Winning an NBA Championship 

Post#2 » by DHM » Thu Mar 3, 2022 11:24 pm

Lol
Nice troll attempt as usual but benches are greatly reduced in the playoffs.

So, no matter how good, bad or ugly, a team's regular-season bench production is, every club that had playoff success in the last five years substantially cut its use of bench players during the postseason. So, what does that mean?

Star Power Matters More

Well, for starters, it means that benches are obviously less important during the postseason. But it also means that star power simply matters more.

Looks like you’re gonna have to find something else to troll about.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#3 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 3, 2022 11:36 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:I'm interested to see if there's anyone who can support the ideas that 1) a team's bench is important in winning an NBA championship, and 2) the Sixers' bench is significantly worse than what's required.

In last year's NBA championship series, the winner gave three players significant minutes off the bench: Bobby Portis, Pat Connaughton, and Jeff Teague. Those players combined to average 18.4 points per game in the series.

I still say Shake performing in the playoffs will be monumental for this team in terms of winning. He has the experience at this point and I'm going to keep the faith. I think Danny Green is a lock to see at least 24 minutes a night if not more. A lot will depend on Mattise and if he's hitting his open threes. Niang should get time, but I can see him along with Korkmaz being victims to the matchups. Kork more so than Niang. I think Niang at least plays in every game. How much is TBD.
Obviously the team didn't believe in Reed or Bassey and rightfully so. They simply are not ready yet, and the playoffs isn't exactly the time to try and get them ready. Unless multiple injuries happen (at which point we'll be out of it anyway), I don't see them playing at all. I think the backup minutes will be decided between WCS vrs DeAndre Jordan. Gun to my head, I'd probably go with Jordan, but I have not watched him play in over a year and the word is...he's cooked.

Am I concerned about our bench possibly blowing a lead or two in the playoffs? Yeah, but I'm having so much fun this year following this team. This has been the most fun I have had watching this team since the 2001 season. The bench will get it done for us this year.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,901

Post#4 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 3, 2022 11:52 pm

"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#5 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:13 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:I'm interested to see if there's anyone who can support the ideas that 1) a team's bench is important in winning an NBA championship, and 2) the Sixers' bench is significantly worse than what's required.

I still say Shake performing in the playoffs will be monumental for this team in terms of winning. He has the experience at this point and I'm going to keep the faith. I think Danny Green is a lock to see at least 24 minutes a night if not more. A lot will depend on Mattise and if he's hitting his open threes. Niang should get time, but I can see him along with Korkmaz being victims to the matchups. Kork more so than Niang. I think Niang at least plays in every game. How much is TBD.
Obviously the team didn't believe in Reed or Bassey and rightfully so. They simply are not ready yet, and the playoffs isn't exactly the time to try and get them ready. Unless multiple injuries happen (at which point we'll be out of it anyway), I don't see them playing at all. I think the backup minutes will be decided between WCS vrs DeAndre Jordan. Gun to my head, I'd probably go with Jordan, but I have not watched him play in over a year and the word is...he's cooked.

Am I concerned about our bench possibly blowing a lead or two in the playoffs? Yeah, but I'm having so much fun this year following this team. This has been the most fun I have had watching this team since the 2001 season. The bench will get it done for us this year.

Any valid belief that the Sixers' bench is inadequate should be based on 1) an objective appraisal of the importance of benches in winning NBA championships, and 2) an objective appraisal of how the Sixers' bench compares to the benches of the teams they're most likely to face in the playoffs.

See if anyone chimes in with anything along those lines here. So far nothing.
DHM
Junior

Post#6 » by DHM » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:20 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Any valid belief that the Sixers' bench is inadequate should be based on 1) an objective appraisal of the importance of benches in winning NBA championships, and 2) an objective appraisal of how the Sixers' bench compares to the benches of the teams they're most likely to face in the playoffs.

Is there a reason this troll does not get banned?
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#7 » by zaz102 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:22 am

A bench player won Finals MVP a few years ago. Unsung heros like a Bobby Portis or Big Shot Bob help teams a lot to win.

It always most relies on the stars though and since they're the ones at the end of the game the magnifying glass is always on them and right fully so. However, it can make their job easier when bench players step up and keep a game close.

It may not matter if the the top stars take over, but can't say it's necessarily meaningless either.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#8 » by Kobblehead » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:29 am

Ultimately irrelevant in a relative sense.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#9 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:35 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

WTF? I was just commenting on who I think will or should be key contributors off the bench for us. What else are you asking for here?
DHM
Junior

Post#10 » by DHM » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:38 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

WTF? I was just commenting on who I think will or should be key contributors off the bench for us. What else are you asking for here?

He’s just here to troll not sure why they don’t ban him
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#11 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:53 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

You're not taking the position that the bench is inadequate. My comment was in support of yours, about how people who have the belief the bench is inadequate need to support that in a certain way for that belief to have any validity.
DHM
Junior

Post#12 » by DHM » Fri Mar 4, 2022 1:09 am

He’s been reported just don’t respond to this troll
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#13 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 4, 2022 1:11 am

Has anyone appeased him yet? He's still waiting.
Philly2good
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#14 » by Philly2good » Fri Mar 4, 2022 1:14 am

DHM wrote:He’s been reported just don’t respond to this troll

:crazy:
DHM
Junior

Post#15 » by DHM » Fri Mar 4, 2022 1:23 am

Negrodamus wrote:Has anyone appeased him yet? He's still waiting.

I think he’s had a time out about a week ago he might be headed for a perma ban

Return to Philadelphia 76ers