ImageImageImage

SIXERS @ CAVS, BIRTHDAY EDITION. 7PM EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,470

Re: SIXERS @ CAVS, BIRTHDAY EDITION. 7PM EST 

Post#221 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:44 am

You guys can complain all you want, but Cleveland is a playoff team that has beaten a lot of good teams this year that we haven't beaten. They are no slouch and we've beaten them three times in a row. It's an impressive win all things considered. They took the lead in the third and in the past we would have caved and that would have been ball game. Respect to Embiid because he's grown up big time. Definitely the MVP this year, no doubt about that.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,470

Post#222 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:46 am

Tobias has been frustrating at times for sure, but so is Harden with the lazy passes, so is Embiid with the late game turnovers, so is the friggin bench, Niang missing wide open threes. I know ya'll pile on Harris and he deserves it at times, but you can't question his heart. It's there, it's in the game. He's a competitor and he has talent. He's going to make some big shots for us in the playoffs.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#223 » by blargh » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:49 am

stormi wrote:Solid win.

Matisse Thybulle. Shocking offense performance tonight. Not even asking for much, he just needs to be a willing shooter and do rudimentary stuff like make layups around the rim.

We don’t win tonight if Matisse doesn’t hold Garland to 5-15.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#224 » by Arsenal » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:51 am

We're experts in pissing away 20 pt leads.

That said, it's always a good win to beat a playoff team on the road. Nice job not folding after choking the big lead.

vs. DAL on Wed will be a tough test. They're locked up w/BKN right now.
DHM
Junior
And1: 163

Post#225 » by DHM » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:53 am

Good win on the road versus a good team. Harden with the highest plus / minus - the PNR is coming along with Joel now it appears. Like to see Harden just a little more aggressive on some of them getting to the rack but I think he is trying to make Joel happy.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,657

Post#226 » by stormi » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:01 am

blargh wrote:

Matisse Thybulle. Shocking offense performance tonight. Not even asking for much, he just needs to be a willing shooter and do rudimentary stuff like make layups around the rim.

Don't feel like Thybulle was anything special defensively tonight, he was pulled for Niang in the 4th quarter anyways.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 825

Post#227 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:04 am

That was a game where you can see some evidence of a counterpunch starting to develop.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 703

Post#228 » by AI_Efficiency » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:07 am

DHM wrote:Good win on the road versus a good team. Harden with the highest plus / minus - the PNR is coming along with Joel now it appears. Like to see Harden just a little more aggressive on some of them getting to the rack but I think he is trying to make Joel happy.

I've thought this too, even with the bench unit, I wonder if some of Harden's deference is just trying to not come in and be a ball hog. Like ease into the team and try and get other guys shots. It is certainly possible he'll shoot more when it counts.
DHM
Junior
And1: 163

Post#229 » by DHM » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:21 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:
DHM wrote:Good win on the road versus a good team. Harden with the highest plus / minus - the PNR is coming along with Joel now it appears. Like to see Harden just a little more aggressive on some of them getting to the rack but I think he is trying to make Joel happy.

I've thought this too, even with the bench unit, I wonder if some of Harden's deference is just trying to not come in and be a ball hog. Like ease into the team and try and get other guys shots. It is certainly possible he'll shoot more when it counts.

I think he’s purposely holding back a tad it seems like he could get 5 or 6 more shots a game but I think he wants to make sure the big dog eats now. He might get more aggressive in the playoffs - I know Doc wants him to already. I think he’s thinking he hast to get Tobias Harris and Maxi going and then he will get his.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,484

Post#230 » by HardenGoat » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:27 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:

He’s also trying to not have another setback health wise which would be game over.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,854

Post#231 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:28 am

Good win against a pretty good team on the road after blowing a lead.

I loved seeing Harden and Embiid working the P&R, it's getting more effective game by game. Harden seems to be settling into more of a Chris Paul facilitator type of role, which will serve him well over the next few years, but he still took over at times when needed.

Embiid got back to taking those quick elbow jumpers instead of the head fakes and drives looking for fouls, and had his most consistent game in a while. He's getting more comfortable in the P&R, and that should be an unstoppable weapon in time.

Guys for the most part were just taking the shot off of Harden passes, which is a great sign. Tobias especially is doing that more often, although he can't resist 2-3 of the infuriating dribble-dribble routines. His foul on LeVert was so incredibly boneheaded for a veteran player, just remarkable.

The bench - what more can be said? Just putrid, but fortunately Niang stepped up a bit in the 4th. Glenn just refuses to give Bassey some run, and Joe, much as I hate to say it, shows nothing when he gets his chances.

Finally, Thybulle. I know he makes defensive plays and can be a spark plug, but this guy has become as useless as Ben Simmons ever was in the half court offense. They're literally begging him to shoot that open three and he won't take it. You can't have him on the floor with the starting unit, it has to be Green.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#232 » by rocketsfan100 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:37 am

This win was important because it’s most likely going to be the Sixers first round matchup. It was good seeing Maxey back to being aggressive. Harris is slowly rounding into form and being more aggressive with Harden.

Speaking of aggressive, Harden needs to be more aggressive in spots. He shouldn’t be going full attack mode but he seems to be playing a little to passive right now.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#233 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:54 am

rocketsfan100 wrote:This win was important because it’s most likely going to be the Sixers first round matchup. It was good seeing Maxey back to being aggressive. Harris is slowly rounding into form and being more aggressive with Harden.

Speaking of aggressive, Harden needs to be more aggressive in spots. He shouldn’t be going full attack mode but he seems to be playing a little to passive right now.

He should certainly be going full attack mode when an opposing team is getting the upper hand and the Sixers need a player to spearhead a counterpunch.

That’s what this team is short on, and it needs Harden to provide it if possible.
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#234 » by rocketsfan100 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:59 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:This win was important because it’s most likely going to be the Sixers first round matchup. It was good seeing Maxey back to being aggressive. Harris is slowly rounding into form and being more aggressive with Harden.

He should certainly be going full attack mode when an opposing team is getting the upper hand and the Sixers need a player to spearhead a counterpunch.

That’s what this team is short on, and it needs Harden to provide it if possible.

I think it’s a combination of not wanting to step on Embiids toes and probably still trying to figure it out. Having said that yeah I feel he is playing a little to passive.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#235 » by phillynative » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:01 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:You guys can complain all you want, but Cleveland is a playoff team that has beaten a lot of good teams this year that we haven't beaten. They are no slouch and we've beaten them three times in a row. It's an impressive win all things considered. They took the lead in the third and in the past we would have caved and that would have been ball game. Respect to Embiid because he's grown up big time. Definitely the MVP this year, no doubt about that.

We match up well because they don't have a wing to dominate us. There bigs are good but still can't do anything with Embiid.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#236 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:03 am

phillynative wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:You guys can complain all you want, but Cleveland is a playoff team that has beaten a lot of good teams this year that we haven't beaten. They are no slouch and we've beaten them three times in a row. It's an impressive win all things considered. They took the lead in the third and in the past we would have caved and that would have been ball game. Respect to Embiid because he's grown up big time. Definitely the MVP this year, no doubt about that.

We match up well because they don't have a wing to dominate us. There bigs are good but still can't do anything with Embiid.

That’s analogous to saying in the NFL “we match up well because they don’t have a quarterback to dominate us.”

The teams with the best wings are also the best teams in the league. All teams are being dominated by them, and the only way to contend with it is to have one or more of your own.
blargh
Pro Prospect

Post#237 » by blargh » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:20 am

stormi wrote:
blargh wrote:

Don't feel like Thybulle was anything special defensively tonight, he was pulled for Niang in the 4th quarter anyways.

They were subbing him in at the end on every defensive possession. Just the fact that Garland couldn’t get the ball on that last shot demonstrates Thybulle’s impact- you know the play was drawn for him. P Any play where Levert is shooting vs Garland is a win for the opponent.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#238 » by phillynative » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:32 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
phillynative wrote:

That’s analogous to saying in the NFL “we match up well because they don’t have a quarterback to dominate us.”

The teams with the best wings are also the best teams in the league. All teams are being dominated by them, and the only way to contend with it is to have one or more of your own.

Your point?
blargh
Pro Prospect

Post#239 » by blargh » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:32 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
phillynative wrote:

Who are these top wings on the best teams, beyond Devin Booker? Middleton? Butler? These are the top wings?

If anything, the apt analogy to your quarterback statement would be with a score first point guard.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,434

Post#240 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:46 am

For me.. bucks, celts, nets or ho-hum.

Just nice to play against Knicks, Wolves and Magic for they’ve been playing top 10 defense for the last 10 games (last time i checked)
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers