Post#181 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:29 am

Last 3 mins
Sixers up by 1
Gary trent drive fouled by thybulle, 2 fts in
Harden drive, 2 fts missed
Siakam fadeaway heavily contested, score
Embiid fadeaway over Barnes, missed
Siakam drive denied good defense by Sixers force jumpball, missed
Harden drive against achiuwa, missed (in and out)
Barnes drives. Embiid blocks from weakside, missed.
Embiid TO (off tobi handoff)
Achiuwa missed 1 FTs (90-86)
Maxey dunk (90-88)
Barnes 2 missed FTs
Harden offensive foul over Boucher

Overall, This game wont be a close game if Sixers limited Raps extra possessions.

Sixers was OK down the stretch, Embiid and Harden just didnt make the shots they usually make. While there wasn’t any rebounding or defensive issue during that stretch
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,116

Re: Canadian Bacon Vs. Pork Roll, Raptors @ Sixers 3/20 8:30pm EST 

Post#182 » by M2J » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am

Yeah I'm not going to look at Doc for this one, or probably most of the losses people like to place on the coach. Given the position this team was in without Ben this whole year.

Problems are of course they lack depth after the trade, best shooter and best rebounder.

Main reason:
The 2 superstars that many of us want to protect due to what they've done, and what they represent... Aren't ALWAYS delivering. Tonight was one of those nights where they both laid an egg. If one of them played well offensively... It's an easy win.

Sad thing is, there is a lot of opportunities for these bench guys to step up and they don't. I'm not trying to hear about which inexperienced scrub should be playing instead.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#183 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:52 am

76ciology wrote:Last 3 mins
Sixers up by 1
Maxey dunk (90-88)
Barnes 2 missed FTs

Overall, This game wont be a close game if Sixers limited Raps extra possessions.

Sixers was OK down the stretch, Embiid and Harden just didnt make the shots they usually make. While there wasn’t any rebounding or defensive issue during that stretch

Great analysis, just annoying that we have to live and die by our stars, and there just seems to be no room for error. I'll enjoy the ride these playoffs, but once again, I fear it might be a what if. Think we have a major retool this summer, and hope that Harden has 2 good years left in him. I'm torn between going for Bradley beal, or loading up on 3&D wings, a ball handler, and a good backup center.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Post#184 » by mjkvol » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:49 am

stormi wrote:
76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:
Whether you believe this game was lost offensively or defensively, you're still admitting that there was no coaching or adjustments that were made when momentum started to slip. Why is Rivers even there if he's going to let the guys go and grind it out like it's a YMCA ball run.

In a 5 point loss that was essentially a one possession game down to the wire, the Raptors grabbed 20 offensive rebounds to the Sixers 5. That's simply inexcusable. That means 20 attempts at second chance points, many of which the Raptors converted on. The Sixers shot better from the field and hit more free throws as a collective, but the Raptors just outlasted them with their relentless approach.

You have to make an adjustment there. You have to bring in Paul Reed for Shake or Thybulle and run a giant and more physical high energy unit. Nope, our loser coach has no imagination.

Stop caping for **** players and **** coaches that are wasting this fragile championship window.

That 20 OREBS is a big issue and i also raised that one. I thought we should have played big and limit the big disparity in rebounds that would have given us the edge with both teams struggling to make a shot.

But in the end, the game got close and our top players fumbled and missed their shots.

For instance, when Barnes missed two FTs and we had a chance to tie or win it, Harden didn’t missed his shot but he turned the ball over by getting called for offensive foul, which was in Harden’s control.

Overall, I think everyone has their share of their fault for this game. But most of the blame should be on our top two players.

The reason we get the best post scorer and the best iso scorers in the league is to get us buckets on these situations but they both turned the ball over or missed their shots.

Winning and losing goes a lot deeper than simply playing well vs not playing well. Great teams win games they're not supposed to all the time.

There are some independent variables that are out of the coaches control Rivers can't control Harden making or missing his free throws, or Embiid's typical jumpers rimming out.

He is however supposed to be able to detect and react to things like his predetermined rotations not getting it done on a night like tonight where the opposition have a major athletic advantage over you.

I don't really care that we lost a regular season game in March. Anyone can say, well if Embiid and Harden simply shot better we'd win. I actually think that's Rivers' philosophy to coaching in general. It's not his fault and It's out of his control.

I think that line of thinking is dangerously wrong. Whether Embiid or Harden are shooting well or not shouldn't alter your approach to analyzing each game as a unique and independent event. He should constantly be doing what he can to maximize the output of this roster offensively and defensively. That's called tactics.

In a game like tonight where we're bleeding second chance points and offensive rebounds you simply have to make an adjustment. Even if we were up 25. That's exactly why he blows so many leads and series'. You can't wait until it's already flooded to fix that leak in the pipes. You have to be proactive and not reactive. And that still doesn't excuse what we saw from our big two.

This x 1000. Many people question how important a coach really in in the NBA, which is rightly referred to as a'players' league', where talent and performance of your best players have the most influence over who wins and loses.

The coach's importance, as you alluded, is in the games and moments where the 'plan' isn't working or your stars are struggling a bit, as Harden and Embiid were last night. This was a classic game where Rivers could have made a huge difference in mitigating the Raptors offensive rebounding, which was the main determining factor in their comeback and victory along with down games from our two stars.

What if inserting Bassey and/or Reed had limited the Raptors second chances? The Sixers win, maybe comfortably. We'll never know if it would have worked and maybe been something Rivers could tuck away as a strategy to go to in a similar situation in a playoff game. Isn't that the one of the most important parts of regular season games, to prepare your team for any playoff situation you might encounter?

Listen, Embiid and Harden are going to have off games. Rivers' job is to work around those games by trying different things to win games that otherwise would be losses. It's what separates the great coaches from the rest. Rivers doesn't want to ruffle feathers, and he has zero ability to think on the fly. Sometimes I wonder if Burke and Joerger know this and try to get him to adjust. If not, what the hell is their value?

Bottom line: the Sixers will not win a championship with Rivers coaching and Tobias taking up a third of the salary cap. Many of us have said it ad nauseum, but last night's game was a harbinger of what will happen in big spots when Embiid and Harden are off or being taken out by opposing defensive strategies. Rivers will go down with the ship. It's all he's ever done and all he knows.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#185 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:53 am

I don't get the panic of this loss from a b2b. It's one game. My main issue is the bench Embiid and Harden are not going to play that badly.

We've seen this bench since Harden and it's straight azz including Niang who couldn't even defend sister jean. For every point he scores he gives just as much on the defensive end including offensive rebounds
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 404

Post#186 » by Zumramania » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:34 pm

M2J wrote:Yeah I'm not going to look at Doc for this one, or probably most of the losses people like to place on the coach. Given the position this team was in without Ben this whole year.

Problems are of course they lack depth after the trade, best shooter and best rebounder.

Main reason:
The 2 superstars that many of us want to protect due to what they've done, and what they represent... Aren't ALWAYS delivering. Tonight was one of those nights where they both laid an egg. If one of them played well offensively... It's an easy win.

Sad thing is, there is a lot of opportunities for these bench guys to step up and they don't. I'm not trying to hear about which inexperienced scrub should be playing instead.

I bet you thought Maxey was an inexperienced scrub as well. Or Terance Mann? If Ben wanted to play and Shake did not get injured back then, Maxey would be still getting modest bench minutes. And Bassey or Reed do not have to be as talented as Maxey to be useful, multiple analysts have pointed out how they could improve us in our weakest departments: rebounding and defending.

But Doc would rather give minutes to his friend DAJ regardless of the actual opponent or the fact that he is horrible in general. Yes, of course star performances matter, but it's these little things and adjustments that ultimately win tight playoff series. Morey will make moves and our team will be better next year, but I think we could do something this year as well and with Doc it is likely not going to happen...makes me really frustrated.

Also somebody mentioned that Doc is a relationship coach, but I'm really curious what players think about this, they must see these things as well. Well except DAJ who is obviously happy that someone is giving him minutes, let alone a top eastern conference team.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,124

Post#187 » by djsunyc » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:53 pm

76ciology wrote:How could it be Doc’s fault when our top players were just struggling? 11 out of 32 from the field.

Down the stretch, Embiid and Harden both turned the ball over repeatedly then Embiid and Harden also missed make able shots.

We could have prevent a close game, and I get that. But dont you feel we’re kind of doing it on purpose for us to get ready for down the stretch moments in the playoffs?

We have lose this game but I thought its a game that will make us better rather than a 20-30 pt victory against this team.

My biggest takeaway is we just don’t have a plan B if both Embiid and Harden is struggling. And its much worse when we’re facing a big and athletic team like the Raps where we can’t win by having more possessions than our opponents. And its most evident with the big rebounding disparity.

i think durant had it right - i don't see consistent 2nd and 3rd efforts from philly on both ends. and issues guarding in transition.

it's a slower team due to embiid + harden. the only real energy guys are maxey + thybulle but they need to slow it down due to the other 2 guys.

and i'm not sure if the sixers have contracts to add multiple pieces to flesh out the team - harris still has 2 years on his deal. maybe green + thybulle for someone this summer but that's a depth swap. still need more players.

if harden doesn't step up huge in the playoffs - how can you feel comfortable signing him long term for $250 mil? really tough questions.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,345

Post#188 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:03 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:Last 3 mins
Sixers up by 1
Maxey dunk (90-88)
Barnes 2 missed FTs

Great analysis, just annoying that we have to live and die by our stars, and there just seems to be no room for error. I'll enjoy the ride these playoffs, but once again, I fear it might be a what if. Think we have a major retool this summer, and hope that Harden has 2 good years left in him. I'm torn between going for Bradley beal, or loading up on 3&D wings, a ball handler, and a good backup center.

Thanks!

I think NBA basketball, specially in the playoffs all comes to that brand of basketball we saw in the last three minutes of the game. And that’s why it’s important to get 1-2 top tier stars for you’d rather have Embiid taking fade away jumpers and Harden driving to the rim than Pascal Siakam taking fade away jumpers and Scottie barnes driving to the rim.

I think the biggest hole is on rebounding and defense. We dont have a plan B if our offense isn’t dropping. Unlike the Raps who can just get more opportunities by grabing ORebs and being able to play switch heavy defense that limits our open looks.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#189 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:42 pm

djsunyc wrote:
76ciology wrote:How could it be Doc’s fault when our top players were just struggling? 11 out of 32 from the field.

Down the stretch, Embiid and Harden both turned the ball over repeatedly then Embiid and Harden also missed make able shots.

We could have prevent a close game, and I get that. But dont you feel we’re kind of doing it on purpose for us to get ready for down the stretch moments in the playoffs?

We have lose this game but I thought its a game that will make us better rather than a 20-30 pt victory against this team.

My biggest takeaway is we just don’t have a plan B if both Embiid and Harden is struggling. And its much worse when we’re facing a big and athletic team like the Raps where we can’t win by having more possessions than our opponents. And its most evident with the big rebounding disparity.

i think durant had it right - i don't see consistent 2nd and 3rd efforts from philly on both ends. and issues guarding in transition.

it's a slower team due to embiid + harden. the only real energy guys are maxey + thybulle but they need to slow it down due to the other 2 guys.

and i'm not sure if the sixers have contracts to add multiple pieces to flesh out the team - harris still has 2 years on his deal. maybe green + thybulle for someone this summer but that's a depth swap. still need more players.

if harden doesn't step up huge in the playoffs - how can you feel comfortable signing him long term for $250 mil? really tough questions.

The problem is we’re small and slow.

Usually if you are small, you play quick and you can shoot.

And I dont know if just having a bigger wing can solve the size issue. When we had Ben, yes we have size but we also didn’t play big like having multiple rim protectors and grabbing Orebs like what you saw from the Raps tonight.

And I dont think we’ve spent too much time and have too little time remaining to find chemistry integrating Reed or Bassey in our rotation. Thats also why we opt for DAJ, because he knows how to play with James.

I’d rather focus on our squad now and worry about offseason later. Oh, and yes, you need to re-sign Harden even for $250M. He fills a big hole in your team, while the rest is easier to fill.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#190 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:48 pm

Doc says we didnt have ball movement after the first

Raps can afford to switch and it lead to less than usual open shots for Jojo.

Have an open mind, dont you think Jojo have multiple possessions when he was better off passing out to shooters than forcing it? Maybe he’s hunting his 30ppg?

Only a few games remaining..
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#191 » by Mik317 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:39 pm

I turned it off after Glenn put in Reed w/ Jordan.

Was getting super butthurt over it...and while it was still a dumb move...the fact that I am crying for more BBall Paul minutes...kinda tells the whole story. The Harden trade was neat and the first 5 games were great but the reality didn't really change much lol. Team did **** all in the offseason and **** all at the deadline. It was mostly due to the Ben situation but still.

This team isn't currently built to win and has been propped up weekend at bernies style by Embiid (and big Maxey games and Niang explosions) all season.

So yeah whatever happens...happens at this rate lol. Maybe we get lucky and go on a run but yet again the team as a whole is in a holding pattern waiting for the next move....
#NeverGonnaBeGood
shlo
Junior
And1: 247

Post#192 » by shlo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:12 pm

djsunyc wrote:

It's clear to me that Harden isn't the player he was 3 years ago. This team is in a tough spot. No athleticism. No depth. A star on the decline with a 2 year window. Giving Harden a max contract is going to sink this team for the length of that deal.
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#193 » by mksp » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:26 pm

76ciology wrote:Doc says we didnt have ball movement after the first

Raps can afford to switch and it lead to less than usual open shots for Jojo.

Have an open mind, dont you think Jojo have multiple possessions when he was better off passing out to shooters than forcing it? Maybe he’s hunting his 30ppg?

Only a few games remaining..

This team is so clearly better when Embiid is moving the ball or taking a quick shot / making a decisive move to the basket instead of trying to post a guy for 10 seconds. Right now playing like he's more interested in MVP than anything else, and why he doesn't deserve it.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,576

Post#194 » by Iverson Armband » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:37 pm

Yeah, I thought Embiid was playing pretty selfishly this game, but nobody likes to shoot on this team so who knows.
always a jump shot away.
HardenGoat
Analyst
And1: 2,445

Post#195 » by HardenGoat » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:45 pm

shlo wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

It's clear to me that Harden isn't the player he was 3 years ago. This team is in a tough spot. No athleticism. No depth. A star on the decline with a 2 year window. Giving Harden a max contract is going to sink this team for the length of that deal.

I hear the concerns but Harden is not going to take a super max deal, he’s actually going to take less money to make sure another high caliber player is added to the arsenal. The good news is he is bought in and believes the team can compete for a title. The off season moves Morey makes should put us in title contention.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,650

Post#196 » by stormi » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:29 pm

mjkvol wrote:Bottom line: the Sixers will not win a championship with Rivers coaching and Tobias taking up a third of the salary cap. Many of us have said it ad nauseum, but last night's game was a harbinger of what will happen in big spots when Embiid and Harden are off or being taken out by opposing defensive strategies. Rivers will go down with the ship. It's all he's ever done and all he knows.

Yep. Rivers still as clueless as ever with his rotations.

Harris, **** defensively, 6'8 but no athleticism (or heart), pump faking on shots all night long and reverting back to bricking against athletic teams. We've seen this song and dance before.

My hottest take is that Al Horford >>> Tobias Harris. In general, in a vacuum or on this team, and as a contract.

Horford is shooting 6.8 3's per 100 possessions this season, Harris is at 5.1.

Horford is a big body that's a positive rebounder. Horford is a legit defensive presence on the interior. Would help Joel out in terms of rebounding and rim protection. And has always been willing shooter. Also can finish inside, whereas novels has no touch around the rim.

Harris has zero offensive or defensive redeeming qualities about his game. Pathetic player.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 824

Post#197 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:07 pm

I wouldn't make much of this game. "Trap game" as they call them in the NFL. High-effort game against a good team (Dallas), with an upcoming game against a very good team (Miami), and with a game against a lesser team sandwiched in between. Tough to get up for all three of them. I would expect maximum effort tonight against Miami if everybody is playing.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#198 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:10 pm

stormi wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Bottom line: the Sixers will not win a championship with Rivers coaching and Tobias taking up a third of the salary cap. Many of us have said it ad nauseum, but last night's game was a harbinger of what will happen in big spots when Embiid and Harden are off or being taken out by opposing defensive strategies. Rivers will go down with the ship. It's all he's ever done and all he knows.

Yep. Rivers still as clueless as ever with his rotations.

Harris, **** defensively, 6'8 but no athleticism (or heart), pump faking on shots all night long and reverting back to bricking against athletic teams. We've seen this song and dance before.

My hottest take is that Al Horford >>> Tobias Harris. In general, in a vacuum or on this team, and as a contract.

Horford is shooting 6.8 3's per 100 possessions this season, Harris is at 5.1.

Horford is a big body that's a positive rebounder. Horford is a legit defensive presence on the interior. Would help Joel out in terms of rebounding and rim protection. And has always been willing shooter. Also can finish inside, whereas novels has no touch around the rim.

Harris has zero offensive or defensive redeeming qualities about his game. Pathetic player.

Until Harris refines his ball-handling and becomes a player who can play facing the basket, he'll always be limited in the way he is now. If he could play facing the basket he would become far more dynamic and difficult to defend and would be clamored for by most teams in the league.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#199 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#200 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:55 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

That defense doesn't look like anything special to me. Looks like Embiid just missed almost all of the shots he'd normally make at least half of, with a defender in his face no differently, in having his customary game.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers