ImageImageImage

The Greek Geek Vs. The Turkish Terror, Bucks @ Sixers 3/29 7:00pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Re: The Greek Geek Vs. The Turkish Terror, Bucks @ Sixers 3/29 7:00pm EST 

Post#441 » by the_process » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:36 pm

Forgetting about dogs... we do agree Embiid, as great as he is, is not particularly clutch, yes?

The ball gets dunked, the game goes to OT, and the Sixers pull it out... no one cares about Glenn being a terrible coach for the moment.

It's a make or miss league, as the biggest cliché ever goes.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 824

Post#442 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:45 pm

the_process wrote:Forgetting about dogs... we do agree Embiid, as great as he is, is not particularly clutch, yes?

The ball gets dunked, the game goes to OT, and the Sixers pull it out
... no one cares about Glenn being a terrible coach for the moment.

That's the very essence of what I'm talking about here. Embiid goes for a layup -- instead of a dunk -- and the other team's dog blocks it.

Shaq says Giannis was "meaner" than Embiid. What he's calling attention to is a level of intensity and drive (again think Michael Jordan) that distinguishes even the best players in the league from each other. Chris Paul wants to play with Devin Booker because he knows he has it. He's 36 years old and wants to win. By now he certainly knows what wins.

So, again, that's what distinguishes this Sixers team from the other best teams in the league at present -- not physical talent.

So either Embiid develops further in this regard, or it's Harden. And again I question whether either can happen.

And when you have Tyrese Maxey doing things like this:

...you should certainly start to explore what he can do for you more regularly in those situations.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Post#443 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:57 pm

the_process wrote:Forgetting about dogs... we do agree Embiid, as great as he is, is not particularly clutch, yes?

The ball gets dunked, the game goes to OT, and the Sixers pull it out... no one cares about Glenn being a terrible coach for the moment.

Thanks for opening the door for more idiocy.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#444 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:59 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:

The ball gets dunked, the game goes to OT, and the Sixers pull it out
... no one cares about Glenn being a terrible coach for the moment.

That's the very essence of what I'm talking about here. Embiid goes for a layup -- instead of a dunk -- and the other team's dog blocks it.

Shaq says Giannis was "meaner" than Embiid. What he's calling attention to is a level of intensity and drive (again think Michael Jordan) that distinguishes even the best players in the league from each other. Chris Paul wants to play with Devin Booker because he knows he has it. He's 36 years old and wants to win. By now he certainly knows what wins.

So, again, that's what distinguishes this Sixers team from the other best teams in the league at present -- not physical talent.

So either Embiid develops further in this regard, or it's Harden. And again I question whether either can happen.

And when you have Tyrese Maxey doing things like this:

...you should certainly start to explore what he can do for you more regularly in those situations.

I guess Maxey decided to keep his inner 'dog' hidden on Tuesday, because he certainly didn't 'show out'.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#445 » by Mik317 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:09 pm

Embiid doesn't dunk often right under the rim. Takes a bit to load up it seems. Probably didn't think there was much time left.

But yeah should have yammed that ****.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,338

Post#446 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:36 pm

Embiid isn’t super explosive vertically and his balanced looked off on that play. He could have gathered potential to go for a dunk but he’d still need to do it over Giannis.

I think the bigger issue was that Embiid should have rolled hard to the mid post and got a shot up over Holiday when they switched. He drifted out around the 3 point line which essentially forced Harden to take a contested 3. It’s just another example where the Sixers end game seems to be to run a lazy PnR and hoped someone does something heroic.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#447 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:48 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:Embiid isn’t super explosive vertically and his balanced looked off on that play. He could have gathered potential to go for a dunk but he’d still need to do it over Giannis.

I think the bigger issue was that Embiid should have rolled hard to the mid post and got a shot up over Holiday when they switched. He drifted out around the 3 point line which essentially forced Harden to take a contested 3. It’s just another example where the Sixers end game seems to be to run a lazy PnR and hoped someone does something heroic.

I think it has a ton to do with the coach that is calling the play in that situation. I think Glenn's call was "okay, inbound to James and then you and Joel figure it out". Both plays reeked of indecision due to no structure.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#448 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:52 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:Embiid isn’t super explosive vertically and his balanced looked off on that play. He could have gathered potential to go for a dunk but he’d still need to do it over Giannis.

Embiid and Harden should be on the receiving end of potential passes from the player who should spearhead the action under those conditions -- Maxey.

Maxey can dribble penetrate and create his own shot, whereas Embiid cannot, and Maxey can shoot from beyond the arc and finish at the rim better than Harden. Maxey can also find the open man better than a double-teamed Embiid, who is turnover-prone under those conditions.

The team would fare far better with Embiid and Harden's being the recipients of passes in those situations, against a defense that's rotating in response to Maxey.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#449 » by the_process » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:17 pm

mjkvol wrote:

Thanks for opening the door for more idiocy.

Admittedly I haven't read all the stuff on the past couple pages, but here's what I will say: I agree with the idea of a "clutch gene". To use the Phillies for perfect examples: Chase Utley had it, Bobby Abreu didn't.

Some guys are just better under pressure. That doesn't mean perfect, however.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#450 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:38 pm

the_process wrote:Admittedly I haven't read all the stuff on the past couple pages, but here's what I will say: I agree with the idea of a "clutch gene". To use the Phillies for perfect examples: Chase Utley had it, Bobby Abreu didn't.

Some guys are just better under pressure. That doesn't mean perfect, however.

It’s a short step from there to the conclusion that:

1) some players are better than others at playing under those conditions,

2) that their performance under those conditions is a function primarily of their drive and intensity — what players in the league commonly refer to as being “a dog,”

3) that many games between teams with roughly equal physical talent are decided in the clutch, and,

4) therefore the degree of “dog” quality among players is the primary variable that distinguishes the best teams in the league from each other.

That puzzle really isn’t all that difficult to put together. And you just saw two games between the Sixers and the two best teams in the league in which it was on full display.

Certainly if Chris Paul is saying he wants to play for the Phoenix Suns because Devin Booker is a dog, that variable is far from meaningless as a cause of winning in the minds of NBA players.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,338

Post#451 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:39 pm

Maxey isn’t ready to play a leading role like that yet tho. You can see it in the way he refers to Embiid & Harden and disappears for stretches because of a lack of aggression. Maybe next year he can be more of a focal point.

I do think that we need to involve him in the play more depending on time and situation. If the Embiid/Harden PnR doesn’t immediately lead to something then run a Harden/Maxey DHO as a secondary action. Maxey is way too good at this point to bail the defense out by just making him a ball watcher on final possessions.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#452 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:48 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:Maxey isn’t ready to play a leading role like that yet tho. You can see it in the way he refers to Embiid & Harden and disappears for stretches because of a lack of aggression. Maybe next year he can be more of a focal point.

I do think that we need to involve him in the play more depending on time and situation. If the Embiid/Harden PnR doesn’t immediately lead to something then run a Harden/Maxey DHO as a secondary action. Maxey is way too good at this point to bail the defense out by just making him a ball watcher on final possessions.

Precisely — Maxey is a three-level scorer, far from someone who should be standing around on the perimeter on those kinds of possessions.

I agree with you that the role may be a little much for him at this point, but there is always the potential that he can pass the ball on the vast majority of those possessions, after attracting a lot of attention.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers