The Mini Van…in the Motor City, Sixers @ Pistons 3/31 7:00pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Re: The Mini Van…in the Motor City, Sixers @ Pistons 3/31 7:00pm EST 

Post#241 » by the_process » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:25 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
mksp wrote:Joel Embiid, a supposed "MVP candidate", and James Harden are on this team, turning the ball over every other possession in the 4th Q agains the Detroit Pistons and y'all are out here blaming a 2nd year player?

FFS.

I really don't get this argument. Embiid and Harden both had a good game, but you cannot do much when our bench can only score 8 points. How is this Embiid and Harden's fault again? we need to be reasonable, I think Embiid and Harden get too much flak.

Love the flip flopping. Keep up the good work!
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,838

Post#242 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:38 pm

Joel has already played more games than Kawhi did when he won with the Raptors (Kawhi played 60 games that season) and they ended up a #2 seed. Imagine if they forced him to play more games so they could be the #1 seed (ended up #2)? Dude had to put up Jordan-like numbers to get out of our series alive, lol.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 833

Post#243 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:42 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
I think the league has shown that this line of thinking is antiquated.

What the league has shown is that home teams win game sevens in the NBA playoffs 78.5% of the time. Until that number gets a whole lot lower, that thinking should be far from antiquated.

Remember last year when Giannis missed 6 games (essentially half the month of April) because of knee soreness? Probably could have stolen that #1 seed from us if he pushed through. I bet he's kicking himself over missing that time.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Exceptions to the rule don't redefine the rule. 21.5% of away teams win game sevens in the NBA playoffs. That means a team still has a 21.5% chance of doing so -- hardly reliable however.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#244 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:05 pm

the_process wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
mksp wrote:Joel Embiid, a supposed "MVP candidate", and James Harden are on this team, turning the ball over every other possession in the 4th Q agains the Detroit Pistons and y'all are out here blaming a 2nd year player?

FFS.

I really don't get this argument. Embiid and Harden both had a good game, but you cannot do much when our bench can only score 8 points. How is this Embiid and Harden's fault again? we need to be reasonable, I think Embiid and Harden get too much flak.

Love the flip flopping. Keep up the good work!

It's not flip flopping, it is deep analysis, 39>8, this is not due to banning threat.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,080

Post#245 » by Murray_17 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:49 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:You go ahead and answer them. If they have meaning in rebutting the principle of trying to achieve home-court throughout the playoffs so as to avoid game sevens on the road at any point along the way toward a championship, I'm sure you'll provide it.

138 series have reach game 7.

What does that tell us?

That around 10% of series reach game 7.

And if you ponder that for your previous statistic the relevance of the first seed is miniscule. If you go to 1-4 matches, is even less relevant.

Maths are fascinating, probabilities specially
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 833

Post#246 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:03 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:138 series have reach game 7.

What does that tell us?

That around 10% of series reach game 7.

And if you ponder that for your previous statistic the relevance of the first seed is miniscule. If you go to 1-4 matches, is even less relevant.

Maths are fascinating, probabilities specially

Probability is only half the equation. We wear a seatbelt in a car not because dying in a car accident is probable, but because it’s lethal. So the issue is not just the probability with which a team will experience a seven-game series, but also that losing game seven in one is “lethal” with regard to its ability to win a championship.

Behavior is most appropriately determined by a combination of probability and the stakes involved.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,425

Post#247 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:35 pm

Home court isn’t just important for game 7 but also game 5. I think the winner of game 5 in a 2-2 series wins 80% of the time so the advantage is massive.

Home court is super valuable and the only time it doesn’t really matter is if your team has Lebron in his prime lol.

I agree that you’d rather have a full health Embiid than a 1 seed but I don’t think it really matters either way for this team’s title odds. There are too many problems that need solving in a short amount of time.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#248 » by sixerguy » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:44 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Mik317 wrote:I wish we'd go back to how the offense was in the first 5 games.

Doc telling Harden to try to go back to Houston Harden has been detrimental IMO

That was exactly when the current malaise began, with Glenn urging Harden to be more 'aggressive'. What competent coach watches a team putting up 125-130 pts./game with everyone involved and contributing and decides to change to a stand around ISO scheme? That's obviously a rhetorical question.

Brett Brown said the same thing to Jimmy Butler
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,514

Post#249 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:47 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:Home court isn’t just important for game 7 but also game 5. I think the winner of game 5 in a 2-2 series wins 80% of the time so the advantage is massive.

Home court is super valuable and the only time it doesn’t really matter is if your team has Lebron in his prime lol.

I agree that you’d rather have a full health Embiid than a 1 seed but I don’t think it really matters either way for this team’s title odds. There are too many problems that need solving in a short amount of time.

We won game 5 against Atlanta last year.
T_Brandon
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#250 » by T_Brandon » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:52 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:Home court isn’t just important for game 7 but also game 5. I think the winner of game 5 in a 2-2 series wins 80% of the time so the advantage is massive.

Home court means virtually nothing in the playoffs. You’re not playing your 3rd game in 5 nights, back to backs, etc... heck didn’t we lose 3 out of 4 last year at home against Atlanta last year?
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#251 » by rocketsfan100 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 10:09 pm

Hopefully what rivers said will kickstart harden into better second halfs
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Post#252 » by the_process » Fri Apr 1, 2022 10:09 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

We won game 5 against Atlanta last year.

False.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,425

Post#253 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 10:26 pm

T_Brandon wrote:

Home court means virtually nothing in the playoffs. You’re not playing your 3rd game in 5 nights, back to backs, etc... heck didn’t we lose 3 out of 4 last year at home against Atlanta last year?

Just because we choked and were bad at home in the playoffs doesn’t mean home court doesn’t matter lol it means that we sucked. A team like the Sixers led by 2 guys & a coach with shaky playoff records aren’t really in a position to toss away potential advantages. Maybe better teams can but we can’t.

If I’m Giannis and the Bucks, I don’t give a **** about home court because I’m confident we can deliver in the biggest moments regardless of the arena. Can’t say the same about the Sixers.
T_Brandon
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#254 » by T_Brandon » Fri Apr 1, 2022 10:30 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:
T_Brandon wrote:

Just because we choked and were bad at home in the playoffs doesn’t mean home court doesn’t matter lol it means that we sucked. A team like the Sixers led by 2 guys & a coach with shaky playoff records aren’t really in a position to toss away potential advantages. Maybe better teams can but we can’t.

If I’m Giannis and the Bucks, I don’t give a **** about home court because I’m confident we can deliver in the biggest moments regardless of the arena. Can’t say the same about the Sixers.
Don’t get me wrong I’d rather have it but I don’t think it’s as important as it was in the past. Both teams on the same schedule.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,838

Post#255 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 2, 2022 2:52 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:What the league has shown is that home teams win game sevens in the NBA playoffs 78.5% of the time. Until that number gets a whole lot lower, that thinking should be far from antiquated.

Remember last year when Giannis missed 6 games (essentially half the month of April) because of knee soreness? Probably could have stolen that #1 seed from us if he pushed through. I bet he's kicking himself over missing that time.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Exceptions to the rule don't redefine the rule. 21.5% of away teams win game sevens in the NBA playoffs. That means a team still has a 21.5% chance of doing so -- hardly reliable however.

Well it’s two swallows (Giannis and Kawhi) in this case and they are just the most recent examples. GSW doesn’t apply since they had a mega team and I’m too lazy to keep going farther back to prove this point to you, a person who is immovable in his convictions.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers