ImageImageImage

The most relevant/irrelevant game of the year, Pistons @ Sixers 4/10 7:00pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Re: The most relevant/irrelevant game of the year, Pistons @ Sixers 4/10 7:00pm EST 

Post#121 » by Arsenal » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:13 am

the_process wrote:Glenn is so arrogant. The audacity of that reporter to ask if Reed should get the backup C minutes. :lol:

“Listen, Pelinka, we’ll be glad to trade you Rivers. Don’t even need a pick. Just send the rights to some dude never coming over or cash considerations.”
“You sure?”
“Yep. Pleasure doing business.”

I doubt it unless LeBron is on the outs. YS must have poisoned his mind against glenn by now.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,605

Re: The most relevant/irrelevant game of the year, Pistons @ Sixers 4/10 7:00pm EST 

Post#122 » by FireMorey » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:14 am

In fairness to Matisse, he caught COVID and recovered in November and got one vaccine shot. He’s more protected and less of a danger than someone who was fully vaccinated in January of 2021 because antibodies decline over time. But the latter would be eligible to play in Toronto and Matisse wouldn’t.

However, all that said he knew this could happen and wouldn’t be able to play and still chose this route. He chose himself over the team. Which is his right, but people also have the right to be pissed off at him for it too. Including his teammates.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,917

Post#123 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:16 am

Embiid P wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Embiid P wrote:As long as Reed can cut back on some of his stupid fouls, he should be good to play in the playoffs. I get that he plays at high energy at all times but sometimes it's better to just let the opposing team score than to risk picking up an unnecessary foul.

I don't think it's an issue in the playoffs. Embiid will play 40 mpg when it matters, leaving only 8 backup center mins. He'll only play significantly less if it's a blowout. Reed should last through his 6 fouls in that time lol.

Call me crazy and I know it would never happen under Doc especially during the postseason since it would take minutes away from his darling Harris, but I'd really like to see Reed play with Embiid for stretches to guard stretch 4s.

Saying the same thing during the game, but that kind of progressive thinking ain't Glenn's bag. I'd love to see a Harden/Maxey/Green/Reed/Embiid type unit for some stretches.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,917

Post#124 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:21 am

the_process wrote:Glenn is so arrogant. The audacity of that reporter to ask if Reed should get the backup C minutes. :lol:

Well, in fairness to Glenn, it's not likely that Pop would be asked such a question, and we all know they are on the same level.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#125 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:51 am

You think the quote is bad, listen to him say it

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=VCrVtSSVuaHtrr-KQrwg5A
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#126 » by phillynative » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:23 am

stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

The way maxey looked back at him after the detroit player layed it up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#127 » by Iverson Armband » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:45 am

The crazy thing is, Glenn really walked away from that exchange thinking he schooled Bodner :lol:

Somebody should ask him if Pop has ever been fired twice
always a jump shot away.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 617

Post#128 » by brannigan73 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:11 am

Doc is a know it all ass we knew that already. De'Andre Jordan is a corpse. Im no big fan of Paul Reed but the Toronto bigs like to chuck up threes and one thing Reed is mobile. If he gives the back up minutes to Jordan against the Raps he will make Greg Monroe against the Raptors look tame in comparison lol. I don't have much hope you know what they say about an old horse and new tricks. He is the guy that wouldnt play Zubac when the Clippers were getting absolutely crushed with Harrell on the court and cost the Clippers a title run.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#129 » by Wilfried » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:15 am

Stanford wrote:You think the quote is bad, listen to him say it

Read on Twitter

What bothers me the most to this is that he's admitting he adjusts to the other teams, instead of trying to make the other team adjust to us. It could work that way too, if you put a very active and mobile player like Paul on a big too
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,231

Post#130 » by eyeatoma » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:27 am

Stanford wrote:You think the quote is bad, listen to him say it

Read on Twitter
Holy ****, can the league reprimand him for how he spoke to Derek? That is not okay.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,515

Post#131 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:56 am

Bodner has always come off as a bit of a jerk himself. Especially when he was on here years ago. Doc probably picked up on that and was defensive. The thing is that Doc isn't wrong. Him, Cassel, Dave, the rest of the staff...They know more than Bodner or any of us do. That's a fact. Crucify me all you want, I'm not taking Docs side, but he's of a greater we basketball mind than any of us are. Does Reed need more minutes? Absolutely he does. Is he ready for the playoffs? That's a tough sell. I've been beating the drum for Reed since the start of the season, but it has to be done the right way. He should have been integrated into the lineup a long time ago. That's on Doc for sure, but it's a bit late in the game to switch things up. Doc stated that DJ will play against the bigger 5s and Reed will be a small ball center. Toronto...has smaller 5s. I expect Reed to get a look against them in this series. If we play Miami for example...Then Doc will most likely go with DJ. His statement makes sense to me. Is Reed the more talented of the two? Yes...at this point he is, but DJ has the experience, and that's who Doc will go with. Next season it'll be Reeds job all day everyday.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#132 » by Foshan » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:13 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Bodner has always come off as a bit of a jerk himself. Especially when he was on here years ago. Doc probably picked up on that and was defensive. The thing is that Doc isn't wrong. Him, Cassel, Dave, the rest of the staff...They know more than Bodner or any of us do. That's a fact. Crucify me all you want, I'm not taking Docs side, but he's of a greater we basketball mind than any of us are. Does Reed need more minutes? Absolutely he does. Is he ready for the playoffs? That's a tough sell. I've been beating the drum for Reed since the start of the season, but it has to be done the right way. He should have been integrated into the lineup a long time ago. That's on Doc for sure, but it's a bit late in the game to switch things up. Doc stated that DJ will play against the bigger 5s and Reed will be a small ball center. Toronto...has smaller 5s. I expect Reed to get a look against them in this series. If we play Miami for example...Then Doc will most likely go with DJ. His statement makes sense to me. Is Reed the more talented of the two? Yes...at this point he is, but DJ has the experience, and that's who Doc will go with. Next season it'll be Reeds job all day everyday.

I get what you are saying, and to a very small extent i agree. Except that I think this is very much Doc's MO. We were screaming all year last year that we needed to get Maxey more RS minutes, but dude was glued to the bench. Then all of the sudden there is an injury or we were sucking... and he starts getting mins in the playoffs and he is a difference maker... but he hasn't played much and so he makes some boneheaded plays and has a limited impact. IMO it's the same situation with Reed. Sure he's immature, but only minutes with the vets is going to work that out, we are going to find ourselves in the PO again, needing what a guy who has been glued to our bench all year can give us.

Now, Reed doesn't come off as a high IQ guy (or BBIQ guy) so i could see/understand the coaches having been a bit turned off to him in the past. But honestly at this point, seeing how bad DAJ is, it's just pride on the coaching staffs part.

That said, i really hope to see Reed at the 4 against Tor when they are detorying us on the boards :(
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#133 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:38 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Bodner has always come off as a bit of a jerk himself.

That's true, but come on, this had nothing to do with Bodner. He talks to everyone who asks questions other than how did it feel to get that win like that.

The question was if he regretted not playing Reed earlier in the season. Reasonable question. Easy to answer without being a cock. Why did he go on that smug tirade about who's going to play in the playoffs? It was irrelevant.

How can someone treat people like that at their job? It's disgusting.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#134 » by Mik317 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:54 pm

heres the thing. Even if the idea behind what Doc said is logical (I think DJ is washed but thats not the point) in terms of playing matchups..you can't say that after the kid had the best game of his career. Why rain on his parade like that?
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#135 » by Arsenal » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:11 pm

Mik317 wrote:heres the thing. Even if the idea behind what Doc said is logical (I think DJ is washed but thats not the point) in terms of playing matchups..you can't say that after the kid had the best game of his career. Why rain on his parade like that?

Because Glenn is insecure, defensive, and has limited EQ. Which is the reason he ran YS out of town and has alienated every single star player he ever coached.

This dude will wear out his welcome by next year, tops.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#136 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:55 pm

Foshan wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Bodner

I get what you are saying, and to a very small extent i agree. Except that I think this is very much Doc's MO. We were screaming all year last year that we needed to get Maxey more RS minutes, but dude was glued to the bench. Then all of the sudden there is an injury or we were sucking... and he starts getting mins in the playoffs and he is a difference maker... but he hasn't played much and so he makes some boneheaded plays and has a limited impact. IMO it's the same situation with Reed. Sure he's immature, but only minutes with the vets is going to work that out, we are going to find ourselves in the PO again, needing what a guy who has been glued to our bench all year can give us.

Now, Reed doesn't come off as a high IQ guy (or BBIQ guy) so i could see/understand the coaches having been a bit turned off to him in the past. But honestly at this point, seeing how bad DAJ is, it's just pride on the coaching staffs part.

That said, i really hope to see Reed at the 4 against Tor when they are detorying us on the boards :(

You're absolutely right with every point you've made. I bolded the part that resonated with me the most. The ONLY way for Reed to take the next step and improve is to be baptized by fire. Doc can't stick him out there for five minutes and expect him to impact the game in a way that makes a huge difference. He's done the same thing with Shake. It seems as though the first mistake Shake makes, Doc hooks him and Shake can't cook...Can't even get the stove lit for crying out loud! I don't know anyone that's going to argue with me when I say that Shake can easily be a 15-18 ppg scorer in this league if given the right amount of opportunity. Reed is going to be a baller in this league as well. Doc definitely holds back the young guys and it drives me crazy. Last year we became desperate in the playoffs. Shake never had the chance to get going and find consistency and then we went to Maxey who was hit or miss. I believe that yeah...It cost us big time not riding it out with them and letting them find a groove. This situation with Reed could be huge for us! Doc has to eventually put some faith in him. We knew that Millsap was toast, we also knew that DJ wasn't going to get it done. I feel like there are some very observant basketball minds on here, so I didn't mean to make it sound like none of us know what we're talking about (Bodner included). I apologize if it came off that way.

In regards to Doc, he's an arrogant ass. There's no denying that. He feels as though he has entitlement at this point, but he does have a proven track record. The guy has won and won big. He's also lost big and contributed to losing big time in the playoffs despite having elite talent to go with a commanding series lead. Those are all concerns I have with him. I feel like he was basically forced to play Maxey this year and even then Maxey walked on egg shells for the first month or two of the season. One could argue that is Docs way of pushing players to do better? Look at the young guys in San Antonio that are finally making a difference...Murray, Vassell, Johnson, Poetl, Walker...All very decent to good to potentially great players that coach Pop has taken it slow with. Keldon Johnson hit the ground running and like Maxey he's an exception, but the rest have all had to pay dues so to speak. Go all the way back to Kawhi Leonard if you will. Leonard was a role player getting limited minutes his first couple of season in the association. Sometimes the slow approach is necessary with young players. Especially when you have a veteran team that is in "win now" mode. I'm in now way trying to come off as a Doc lover, but he has his reasons, the guy has been coaching for twenty years now, I'm going to trust him to lead. I'm going to trust Sam and Dave to back him. I'm going to die on this hill as a fan of this team the same way I will die on the Shake needs to be freed hill. So in essence, it's a mixed bag with Doc, but I think a lot of us need to be careful for what we wish for because it may not be so green on the other side. I'll say this, Doc is by far a much better coach than Brett Brown is. True, he coddles the vets, but he's hard AF on the young guns and from what I've seen so far, it's worked out. Maxey is much further along because of his work ethic, but also because Doc has been an ass to him. Shake's attitude has gotten in his way, but when he locks in you can tell that long term it will have benefited him from being coached by Doc. I think the same can and will be said about Paul Reed and Mattise. I like our young guys very much and I agree with Doc on not rushing things. I want to see Reed as badly as the next man, and baptizm by fire is sometimes necessary. I think it will be against Toronto.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#137 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:58 pm

Mik317 wrote:heres the thing. Even if the idea behind what Doc said is logical (I think DJ is washed but thats not the point) in terms of playing matchups..you can't say that after the kid had the best game of his career. Why rain on his parade like that?

ACCOUNTABILITY
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#138 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:10 pm

Stanford wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Bodner has always come off as a bit of a jerk himself.

That's true, but come on, this had nothing to do with Bodner. He talks to everyone who asks questions other than how did it feel to get that win like that.

The question was if he regretted not playing Reed earlier in the season. Reasonable question. Easy to answer without being a cock. Why did he go on that smug tirade about who's going to play in the playoffs? It was irrelevant.

How can someone treat people like that at their job? It's disgusting.

I think he probably felt like an ass for not playing Reed sooner and he knew the question was going to get popped. I don't like the way he handled it either. Clearly he was irritated by the question and it was a blow to his ego. It's honestly not a tough question to answer, but it's certainly a tough question to "accept" if that makes sense. It's like asking an alcoholic if they have a drinking problem. They know the answer, everyone else knows the answer, but it's still hard to accept it. With Reed, (and I have stated this many times now in regards to our young guys), I think Doc took too long to integrate him into the rotation. I think he probably should have been playing the moment we made the Harden trade. I was fine with the DJ signing as well because we did need a vet big to put into the rotation if needed. Doc made the comment that Reed would play against the small ball teams. The thing is, in the twenty+ games since the Harden trade, Doc has stuck exclusively to either Millsap or DJ. He didn't look in Reeds direction when we played against any small lineups and we faced a few of them in those twenty games. Part of me feels that we may have stunted the growth of Paul Reed by not playing him sooner. The other part of me says that Doc IS the head coach of this team and knows way more than I do. He's got an ego, but he's also got a method to his madness. He's going to push the young guys and he's made Maxey, Shake, Mattise, and Reed better players because of it. How developed would they be under Brett Brown who was always passive and complimenting of the players? The thing about Brett is that he never kept it real. We'd hear him talking about how Hollis Thompson is going to be a very good player or how Henry Sims is the best shooter on the team.
I definitely think he could have had a better answer for Bodner. It wasn't an offensive question, it was more of how it was delivered and I think that it pissed him off. It was more like "dude, I've got twenty years in this league as a coach and another 15 as a player." So in that aspect, yeah, I agree with Doc...Don't question my knowledge over yours when you haven't put the time in. Then again, Bodner does have a great basketball mind himself. He's a very intelligent person when it comes to the game. It was a logical question at the time, but both sides could have handled that better.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,838

Post#139 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:47 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Bodner has always come off as a bit of a jerk himself. Especially when he was on here years ago. Doc probably picked up on that and was defensive. The thing is that Doc isn't wrong. Him, Cassel, Dave, the rest of the staff...They know more than Bodner or any of us do. That's a fact. Crucify me all you want, I'm not taking Docs side, but he's of a greater we basketball mind than any of us are. Does Reed need more minutes? Absolutely he does. Is he ready for the playoffs? That's a tough sell. I've been beating the drum for Reed since the start of the season, but it has to be done the right way. He should have been integrated into the lineup a long time ago. That's on Doc for sure, but it's a bit late in the game to switch things up. Doc stated that DJ will play against the bigger 5s and Reed will be a small ball center. Toronto...has smaller 5s. I expect Reed to get a look against them in this series. If we play Miami for example...Then Doc will most likely go with DJ. His statement makes sense to me. Is Reed the more talented of the two? Yes...at this point he is, but DJ has the experience, and that's who Doc will go with. Next season it'll be Reeds job all day everyday.

“Doc is right and knows more than all of us, thus shouldn’t be questioned”

“Doc should have integrated Reed into the lineup earlier in the year, but it’s late in the game now”

Pick one. He botched this. Bodner was about to ask him why he was only using Reed more frequently in the last few weeks instead of a longer integration before Doc rudely interrupted him.

This is the “would you ask Pop that question?” all over again. He’s riding high on his reputation, but he’s been a “fine” coach if you remove his time coaching one of the best starting five (top to bottom) in the past 30 years with the Celtics.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,838

Post#140 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:48 pm

Side note: Shake back?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers