ImageImageImage

Congratulations to Joel Embiid for being the MVP in back to back years

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Re: Congratulations to Joel Embiid for being the MVP in back to back years 

Post#61 » by M2J » Thu May 19, 2022 1:53 pm

I retract my earlier post. Skillset wise and with his talent, he should be the best player in the league. He truly doesn't have the mentality to dominate in the playoffs or great competition.

Philly's number 1 should be a number 2 for a real title contender unfortunately. The only way those guys can win it.... With let's say two #2 guys is to be stacked. That would take Harden being much better. Because with Maxey and Tobi they have enough to overwhelm if the stars are good.

But Joel underwhelmed every postseason. IMO, Ben was clearly a problem, but Atlanta was also on Joel. He could've done more if he was really that guy. With the injuries this year, or when his shot isn't falling, he needs to dominate defensively.

He's only typically dominant when his jumper is falling, which makes sense, and while that jumper makes him so elite.... It's unreliable when it counts.

Then his excuses.....I get they are legit.... But he loves to hide behind them and I'm primarily concerned by how quickly he'll throw others under the bus on HIS team as if he dropped 45 each game.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#62 » by the_process » Thu May 19, 2022 4:24 pm

M2J wrote:I retract my earlier post. Skillset wise and with his talent, he should be the best player in the league. He truly doesn't have the mentality to dominate in the playoffs or great competition.

Philly's number 1 should be a number 2 for a real title contender unfortunately. The only way those guys can win it.... With let's say two #2 guys is to be stacked. That would take Harden being much better. Because with Maxey and Tobi they have enough to overwhelm if the stars are good.

But Joel underwhelmed every postseason. IMO, Ben was clearly a problem, but Atlanta was also on Joel. He could've done more if he was really that guy. With the injuries this year, or when his shot isn't falling, he needs to dominate defensively.

He's only typically dominant when his jumper is falling, which makes sense, and while that jumper makes him so elite.... It's unreliable when it counts.

Then his excuses.....I get they are legit.... But he loves to hide behind them and I'm primarily concerned by how quickly he'll throw others under the bus on HIS team as if he dropped 45 each game.

I disagree with this. Right now, the games Jo most commonly dominates are when he gets to the line a ton and puts the other teams bigs all in foul trouble.

The problem is foul grifting does not work in the playoffs for the most part (see: Harden, James).

When Jo does not get calls, he tends to sulk. And once he sulks, his head is out of the game. So he needs to adjust and play like Dirk. Dominate from the foul line by shooting pick and pop jumpers.

Jo needs to actually look for his jumper more, and foul grift less. More face up, less post up.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#63 » by mjkvol » Thu May 19, 2022 8:51 pm

the_process wrote:
M2J wrote:I retract my earlier post. Skillset wise and with his talent, he should be the best player in the league. He truly doesn't have the mentality to dominate in the playoffs or great competition.

I disagree with this. Right now, the games Jo most commonly dominates are when he gets to the line a ton and puts the other teams bigs all in foul trouble.

The problem is foul grifting does not work in the playoffs for the most part (see: Harden, James).

When Jo does not get calls, he tends to sulk. And once he sulks, his head is out of the game. So he needs to adjust and play like Dirk. Dominate from the foul line by shooting pick and pop jumpers.

Jo needs to actually look for his jumper more, and foul grift less. More face up, less post up.

!00% this. When he was dominant this season it was when he was killing the elbow jumpers and midrange turnarounds, and getting to the line. If he gets back to that and stops with the 3-pt. nonsense, endless pump fakes, and the wreckless drives looking for fouls he can be a Dirk who is also a defensive demon.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,803

Post#64 » by Negrodamus » Thu May 19, 2022 9:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Just in case you thought the city of Philadelphia wouldn't do something lame about this.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#65 » by mjkvol » Thu May 19, 2022 10:06 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just in case you thought the city of Philadelphia wouldn't do something lame about this.

It's just very heartening to know that elected representatives are busy spending taxpayer money addressing the vital needs of the citizens.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#66 » by M2J » Sat May 21, 2022 7:19 am

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:

!00% this. When he was dominant this season it was when he was killing the elbow jumpers and midrange turnarounds, and getting to the line. If he gets back to that and stops with the 3-pt. nonsense, endless pump fakes, and the wreckless drives looking for fouls he can be a Dirk who is also a defensive demon.

He's only dominant vs great competition when his jumper is falling, no matter where.

He's amazing as a post scorer, which is when he gets to the line. But in these series, great teams limit his ability to get in that position. When he can hit that mid range jumper, it can negate that some. Because it's easier for him to get to that shot if he gets the ball from the perimeter.

To his credit, the amount of attention and work it takes to keep him from getting the ball in his low post positions should really open the floor for a real superstar that can take advantage of that. That person isn't on this team however.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#67 » by 76ciology » Sat May 21, 2022 7:31 am

Can someone explain to me how Embiid has -1 DBPM and just .1 BPM?

Leaders in BPM coincides with most guys who are top players in the playoffs such as Jokic, Giannis, Jimmy, Steph Tatum or Doncic.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers