Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Re: Raptors go EXTINCT: Game 4, Sixers @ Raptors 4/23 2:00pm EST TNT 

Post#341 » by Sixerscan » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:28 pm

Embiid P wrote:
Stanford wrote:
Axxon wrote:Just went over to the Miami board , they are pretty down right now. They think the Lowry hammie is going to hinder him for about a month, and Jimmy is hurt worse than what he’s letting on. Joel is hurt but Miami will not be 100% either it appears. We can win that match up guys.

Nothing will lift your spirits like playing the Sixers in the second round

I wonder what our record in the second round is since 1983? I'm thinking it's 1-10 if not worse.

They made one last conference finals in 85 but yeah 1-10 since then.

Last year was only the second one of those that they lost with home court in the series though. The other one was in 90 to a team with that Michael Jordan guy averaging 43 PPG.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,508

Post#342 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:38 pm

76ciology wrote:Sixers Defense:
Maxey again showed his a fool’s gold. He’s really average at best in getting separation and is just feeding off the gravity James is getting.

I'm curious why you feel that way? First of all, I don't disagree with you. I like Maxey very much. I feel like he's exceeded all expectations, but there is something about him that will keep him from being an elite player in this league. People are throwing around top 5 predictions about him and I think that is absolutely crazy. He gives me Jrue Holiday vibes. Obviously Holiday became a very very good player in this league. A complete player on both sides of the ball and a damn good guard. That's the level I think Maxey can get to. Now do I consider that fools gold considering where we drafted him? Absolutely not. Would I trade him for a very good player or a disgruntled star? Depending on who, I definitely would. To me, Maxey isn't fools gold, but he's not a franchise player nor is he untouchable at this time. Fools gold is a bold comment on your part, but I definitely don't completely disagree with you. Like I said, just wondering what makes you feel that way? For me it's the lack of defense, the unsustainable three point shooting, and the unsustainable shot making. He'd have to continue this tear for the entire playoffs for me to really become a full time believer. If you take Harden and Embiid away from him, the belief would be that his efficiency would plummet, but when Embiid missed a bunch of games due to Covid, I felt like that was when Maxey really began to shine. We didn't win a lot of games, but he kept us in them, and he did it efficiently. I remember his turnovers per game were impressively low for never really playing the point guard position.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#343 » by HotelVitale » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:49 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Maxey again showed his a fool’s gold. He’s really average at best in getting separation and is just feeding off the gravity James is getting.

I'm curious why you feel that way? First of all, I don't disagree with you. I like Maxey very much. I feel like he's exceeded all expectations, but there is something about him that will keep him from being an elite player in this league. People are throwing around top 5 predictions about him and I think that is absolutely crazy. He gives me Jrue Holiday vibes. Obviously Holiday became a very very good player in this league. A complete player on both sides of the ball and a damn good guard. That's the level I think Maxey can get to. Now do I consider that fools gold considering where we drafted him? Absolutely not. Would I trade him for a very good player or a disgruntled star? Depending on who, I definitely would. To me, Maxey isn't fools gold, but he's not a franchise player nor is he untouchable at this time. Fools gold is a bold comment on your part, but I definitely don't completely disagree with you. Like I said, just wondering what makes you feel that way? For me it's the lack of defense, the unsustainable three point shooting, and the unsustainable shot making. He'd have to continue this tear for the entire playoffs for me to really become a full time believer. If you take Harden and Embiid away from him, the belief would be that his efficiency would plummet, but when Embiid missed a bunch of games due to Covid, I felt like that was when Maxey really began to shine. We didn't win a lot of games, but he kept us in them, and he did it efficiently. I remember his turnovers per game were impressively low for never really playing the point guard position.

I don’t know who you’re talking to that’s throwing around top 5 or 10 player with him, but you should quit that and find better company. That’s totally off the wall. Maxey right now is a lower volume lead scorer with poor vision, and it’ll be hard for him to jump out of that rather than just get steadily better at it. Jrue sounds right but without the all-league defense and with some more go to scoring pop.

That said, we shouldn’t fail to appreciate that he’s already very consistently making 3s and making very tough shots, and he’s done that for long enough now that we can count on it. It’s who he is. If you mean his 3-game sample of wins in this PO, yes that’s too high (there’s never going to be a time when 3 game samples are wise) but this seasons efficiency numbers don’t unsustainable to me. Just that there’s a huge gap between that and being a all-NBA guy.

I think of Maxey more as a marvel of tough shot making and also an undaunted player, guy who doesn’t get down when the teams off and always brings his own pace and spark. That’s awesome and feels like there’s no need to spoil it by saying ‘oh yeah and he’s also on his way to being an atg player.’
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,508

Post#344 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:16 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

I don’t know who you’re talking to that’s throwing around top 5 or 10 player with him, but you should quit that and find better company. That’s totally off the wall. Maxey right now is a lower volume lead scorer with poor vision, and it’ll be hard for him to jump out of that rather than just get steadily better at it. Jrue sounds right but without the all-league defense and with some more go to scoring pop.

That said, we shouldn’t fail to appreciate that he’s already very consistently making 3s and making very tough shots, and he’s done that for long enough now that we can count on it. It’s who he is. If you mean his 3-game sample of wins in this PO, yes that’s too high (there’s never going to be a time when 3 game samples are wise) but this seasons efficiency numbers don’t unsustainable to me. Just that there’s a huge gap between that and being a all-NBA guy.

I think of Maxey more as a marvel of tough shot making and also an undaunted player, guy who doesn’t get down when the teams off and always brings his own pace and spark. That’s awesome and feels like there’s no need to spoil it by saying ‘oh yeah and he’s also on his way to being an atg player.’

Yeah, I was just wondering why he referred to him as fools gold. The question was for him. I don't know why you decided to give me a synopsis of Tyrese Maxey aided with the "we should be grateful" Christmas time offering. I know what Maxey is and isn't. Someone got excited after game one and said that he can be a top five player in the league in a few years. I don't agree with that, I think he's a very very good player...Definitely someone that can be a third option on a winning team...Like Jrue Holiday. Again though, I was just wondering why he felt that way. As far as who I'm talking to about our team??? Well, I live in Tennessee. There aren't exactly a ton of Sixer fans here. Or were you being facetious? The people I talk to about this team are all on here.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#345 » by Sixerscan » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:50 pm

Like one guy said the top 5 thing shouldn’t have to debate extremes to make a point.

Maxey was having a great year before Harden even showed up, and even in games 1 and 2 he had stretches of scoring points with Harden on the bench. Sure he’s inconsistent but that’s what you get with a 21 year old.

All told he’s averaging 23 ppg through 4 games of his first real playoff series. James Harden has played with a lot of players in his career not many of them have scored like that in this kind of setting. Also obviously Harden has helped him to some extent but it’s just weird to talk about Harden setting a guard up for points, it’s not like Maxey is Clint Capella getting lobs thrown to him.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 411

Post#346 » by Zumramania » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:46 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Like one guy said the top 5 thing shouldn’t have to debate extremes to make a point.

Maxey was having a great year before Harden even showed up, and even in games 1 and 2 he had stretches of scoring points with Harden on the bench. Sure he’s inconsistent but that’s what you get with a 21 year old.

All told he’s averaging 23 ppg through 4 games of his first real playoff series. James Harden has played with a lot of players in his career not many of them have scored like that in this kind of setting. Also obviously Harden has helped him to some extent but it’s just weird to talk about Harden setting a guard up for points, it’s not like Maxey is Clint Capella getting lobs thrown to him.

True, and he is on a rookie contract. After Morey does a couple of offseason moves (I believe Tobias and maybe Thybulle will be gone and a few guys that provide athleticism and shooting will be brought in) it will be a fun next season!
I'm not that optimistic about this year's playoffs, but who knows...
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,517

Post#347 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:50 pm

Spoiler:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Because he can’t create shots for his own off the dribble or off the two man game with volume.

He will have some big games, but that is dependent if the defense opts to be less tighter in defending him (i.e send help to james or the big stick to Embiid and just let him drive to the basket).

Right now he has very good shooting and elite in straight line drives. He can average 17-18ppg on good %s.

But he’s not 25-ish ppg player that he looked in the first 3 game of the series after scoring 38,23 and 19 pts.

He struggles on ISO. He can’t run two man game in tight defense and we saw that in OT in G3. BUT he’s still a very good player and a very good complimentary player for Harden and Embiid because of the gravity they can draw.

But he’s not a second option guy like some want him to be.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,517

Post#348 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:57 pm

I find it amusing that Rap fans see Siakam too highly and don’t accept that Tobias has locked him down the entire series.

The biggest reason why the Raps is losing is their top scorer was averaging 18ppg on 40FG% with only 4FTA per game.

When you are a bad offensive team and your go to guy is getting locked down, while you dont have the right personnel to defend your opponents top two player on single coverage then you are in a very bad position match-up wise.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#349 » by brannigan73 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:09 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

He is much better then Holiday was at this age. And your mincing words. What does elite player mean anyway? He doesnt have to be top 5 to be amazing. I think he could be top 10 and I think he could average 30 points a game one year. You have to look at his percentages and the fact he is not the main guy on this team. This is a 21 year old that average 17 ppg on excellent percentages on a contender. If he was was on a bad team he would have averaged in the 20's this year. I must have forgotten then 38 point games Jrue Holiday had in the playoffs at 21 or really any age. Maxey is one of the fastest players in the league and one of the best guard finishers in the league. Those are his elite skills. And he looks like he is going to be a well above average jump shooter. New stars are contantly coming into the league all the time and some of them are not lottery picks. We were lucky and smart enough to draft one. It really is that simple. Just believe your eyes and the stats. Not the raw stats, which were good, but the percentages which are eye popping for a 21 yo guard. He looks to be a future prennial 50% from 2, 85% FT, 40% from three guy. A guy like Holiday cant do that. A lot Holiday's value is on defense Maxey is already a better offensive player then Holiday is at 21.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers