Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Re: Potential MLE Options 

Post#21 » by youngcrev » Mon May 16, 2022 2:32 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Step 1: make a list of your top 10 MLE targets
Step 2: completely remove those guys from your thought process because they'll either get more money or find a better landing spot
Step 3: scour the free agent market for guys that you're not sure if you'd have interest in, but could potentially fill a 15-20 minute role

In theory I'd agree, but the Lakers landed Malik Monk last year for nothing. Players around the league respect Embiid and Harden and might see that as a great resume builder to make a run for the championship with 2 elite players. Especially if we're moving on from Tobias, that 3/4 position looks mighty alluring.

Alright fine, make a list and remove the top 7 guys then :wink:

Just seems like a lot of times we're pretty far off, and our bi-annual targets ending getting MLE money. Hopefully you're right and Morey can pull something off with the allure of Embiid, Harden and a potential starting role.

I'll throw a name out there that might be in our price range: Joe Ingles.

Older guy, coming off season ending ACL surgery, and didn't have much left to lose athletically from the start. Still, the guys a shooter with some quality ball skills (could be a good point-forward to play in Maxey led lineups) and has always been able to leverage his length to hold up reasonably well defensively.

If we're going ideal target that could maybe be in our price range if we end up with the full MLE, I'd agree with you on Anderson. Batum might be the more realistic option with the Clippers having paid Cov already (or does Balmer just pay everyone?)
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,697

Post#22 » by stormi » Mon May 16, 2022 3:40 pm

(unlikely, but) Bobby Portis on that list is looking quite delectable, especially with the hole at the 4 if Tobias Harris and that contract are shipped off for multiple pieces like Dallas did with Porzingis.

Portis shot 8.0 3's per 100 possessions last season, Harris shot 5.4. Bobby shot about 39% from deep on that elevated volume opposed to Harris' 36%. Bobby is a career 38% from 3 guy, Tobias is a career 36% guy from 3.

Portis -> 9.6% ORB, 24.4 DRB%, 17.2 TRB%
Harris -> 3.4% ORB, 18.1 DRB%, 10.9% TRB%

So Portis is much more active on the glass and is a ferocious offensive rebounder, keeping plays alive and such.

Portis also blocks more shots and generates more steals.

Seems like an ideal candidate to start alongside Joel Embiid and James Harden. Comes in, provides size, rebounding, shooting, violence. All of which we're quite desperately lacking.

Boucher, Monk, OPJ and Anderson are also intriguing.

I'm of the beggars cannot be choosers state of mind though. Any help is good help with how poor we are depth wise.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#23 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Step 1: make a list of your top 10 MLE targets
Step 2: completely remove those guys from your thought process because they'll either get more money or find a better landing spot
Step 3: scour the free agent market for guys that you're not sure if you'd have interest in, but could potentially fill a 15-20 minute role

In theory I'd agree, but the Lakers landed Malik Monk last year for nothing. Players around the league respect Embiid and Harden and might see that as a great resume builder to make a run for the championship with 2 elite players. Especially if we're moving on from Tobias, that 3/4 position looks mighty alluring.

Just seems like a lot of times we're pretty far off, and our bi-annual targets ending getting MLE money. Hopefully you're right and Morey can pull something off with the allure of Embiid, Harden and a potential starting role.

Older guy, coming off season ending ACL surgery, and didn't have much left to lose athletically from the start. Still, the guys a shooter with some quality ball skills (could be a good point-forward to play in Maxey led lineups) and has always been able to leverage his length to hold up reasonably well defensively.

If we're going ideal target that could maybe be in our price range if we end up with the full MLE, I'd agree with you on Anderson. Batum might be the more realistic option with the Clippers having paid Cov already (or does Balmer just pay everyone?)

Ingles definitely fits the billing as a guy to buy extremely low on, but to me, he's a Georges Niang type player. I feel like we've been playing around with that archetype for some time now: Ilyasova, Niang, Scott, Tolliver, Muscala, etc. Goofy 6'9 guys who are three point shooters but don't really do much else.

A different approach would be TJ Warren. We have a qualified staff to rehab naviculars, amirite?
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,697

Post#24 » by stormi » Mon May 16, 2022 3:58 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Ingles definitely fits the billing as a guy to buy extremely low on, but to me, he's a Georges Niang type player. I feel like we've been playing around with that archetype for some time now: Ilyasova, Niang, Scott, Tolliver, Muscala, etc. Goofy 6'9 guys who are three point shooters but don't really do much else.

A different approach would be TJ Warren. We have a qualified staff to rehab naviculars, amirite?

Feels a bit discourteous to toss Ingles in that basket with unitaskers like Ersan, Scott and Niang. Ingles at his best could legitimately man up on top tier wings defensively, he was a great shooter - that they all have in common, but he was also a very dynamic playmaker that could operate the P&R and would generate a lot of offense for Rudy Gobert.

I've wanted Ingles here forever, i'd probably still take him if he wanted to jump aboard for a vet min or something, but he's now 34 now and coming off an ACL so maybe it's his swan song. Luckily he's never predicated his game on athleticism and is a craft master so just maybe he could still contribute a little to winning.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#25 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 16, 2022 4:12 pm

stormi wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Feels a bit discourteous to toss Ingles in that basket with unitaskers like Ersan, Scott and Niang. Ingles at his best could legitimately man up on top tier wings defensively, he was a great shooter - that they all have in common, but he was also a very dynamic playmaker that could operate the P&R and would generate a lot of offense for Rudy Gobert.

I've wanted Ingles here forever, i'd probably still take him if he wanted to jump aboard for a vet min or something, but he's now 34 now and coming off an ACL. Luckily for him he's never predicated his game on athleticism and is a craft master so maybe he could still contribute a little to winning.

Yea, I'm referring to him in his current form, not during his best years. 35 years old with a torn ACL will be hard to size up guys defensively. I'm definitely not against bringing him on board, especially for vet min, but we've seen time and time again our unathletic 4s getting toasted in the playoffs and then go cold from 3.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#26 » by youngcrev » Mon May 16, 2022 4:34 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I'd take a Warren, but I could see someone throwing a big one year prove it deal at him.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 617

Post#27 » by brannigan73 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:15 am

Bobby Portis, Delon Wright, and Gary Harris. Delon Wright and Gary Harris are going to be super cheap they'll help a smart team that understands that they out perform there counting stats in terms of how they help a team. Bobby Portis is arguable a better player then the version of Tobias Harris that existed for all of last year except the Toronto series.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#28 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue May 17, 2022 4:19 am

Not one player there gets the Sixers past Miami, Milwaukie or Boston, and probably not Brooklyn. No point standing still. Blow it up.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#29 » by SixthStreet » Tue May 17, 2022 4:55 am

Ingles can also provide secondary/tertiary ball handling and passing. I've loved Ingles forever and would love him here. An ACL isn't a big deal anymore. He's also a pretty damn good defender and rebounder.
76Shots
Sophomore
And1: 220

Post#30 » by 76Shots » Tue May 17, 2022 7:57 am

Im interested in Jalen Smith. He's a UFA because the Suns didnt pick up his option (which is a little concerning), but showed some real promise in Indiana.
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#31 » by rocketsfan100 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:22 am

McGee would be the backup Center this team needs. Athletic rim runner with borderline elite rim protection ability . Joel needs some help upfront from here on to keep his body healthy for the playoffs.

Wings I would go hell for leather for Tucker. See if Harden can get his best friend in Tucker to take a discount . The guy is a defensive culture setter. Kyle Anderson would be the second best option
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#32 » by ZarcMumoff » Tue May 17, 2022 12:15 pm

TheBallsDeeper wrote:Not one player there gets the Sixers past Miami, Milwaukie or Boston, and probably not Brooklyn. No point standing still. Blow it up.

Thank you, BallsDeeper.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,074

Post#33 » by Embiid P » Tue May 17, 2022 7:44 pm

TheBallsDeeper wrote:Not one player there gets the Sixers past Miami, Milwaukie or Boston, and probably not Brooklyn. No point standing still. Blow it up.

I agree that one player won't do it but a combination of players i.e. 3 and D wings and PF along with a bench scorer and a back-up center could.

I don't see Morey blowing it up though.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,905

Post#34 » by mjkvol » Tue May 17, 2022 8:16 pm

Goodness gracious, please stop with the "blow it up" stuff! This ownership endured years of g-league level play and empty arenas, and now they have a cash cow with two of the highest profile players on the sport and a budding star, are selling out arenas along with tons of merchandise, a perennial playoff team meaning home playoff games. And you're suggesting they tear it down?

This is a business before anything else, and as long as the Sixers have marketable stars and are a solid playoff team they are generating enormous revenue - what owner in his right mind would give that up for ..... who knows what?

Can this core win a championship? My guess is no as long as Embiid is the main offensive option, but that doesn't mean with the right moves and a little luck (for once) that it can't happen. But the worst case scenario is a few more years of sold out arenas and home playoff games, which guarantees that no tear down will be taking place anytime soon.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#35 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 pm

mjkvol wrote:Goodness gracious, please stop with the "blow it up" stuff! This ownership endured years of g-league level play and empty arenas, and now they have a cash cow with two of the highest profile players on the sport and a budding star, are selling out arenas along with tons of merchandise, a perennial playoff team meaning home playoff games. And you're suggesting they tear it down?

This is a business before anything else, and as long as the Sixers have marketable stars and are a solid playoff team they are generating enormous revenue - what owner in his right mind would give that up for ..... who knows what?

Can this core win a championship? My guess is no as long as Embiid is the main offensive option, but that doesn't mean with the right moves and a little luck (for once) that it can't happen. But the worst case scenario is a few more years of sold out arenas and home playoff games, which guarantees that no tear down will be taking place anytime soon.

You make a very good point.

I'm sure you are right, it's a business and they will sit back and cash in for a few years. It's not my money so it's easy to say, but I'd rather chase a championship than money, and the Sixers are never winning while paying a decline Harden $50-$60m a year with no assets to trade.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,895

Post#36 » by sixers4real » Wed May 18, 2022 1:00 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Goodness gracious, please stop with the "blow it up" stuff! This ownership endured years of g-league level play and empty arenas, and now they have a cash cow with two of the highest profile players on the sport and a budding star, are selling out arenas along with tons of merchandise, a perennial playoff team meaning home playoff games. And you're suggesting they tear it down?

You make a very good point.

I'm sure you are right, it's a business and they will sit back and cash in for a few years. It's not my money so it's easy to say, but I'd rather chase a championship than money, and the Sixers are never winning while paying a decline Harden $50-$60m a year with no assets to trade.

True. That's why they are negotiating a discount contract
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#37 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:54 am

Not exactly sure what is going on with his foot, but IF TJ Warren can be cleared medically I think he’d be a great fit with us. 6’8 and can shoot 40% from 3.
Might be looking for a 1 year prove it deal to hit free agency again before 30. 25 mins a night on the sixers with tons of wide open 3’s should be enticing to him.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#38 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed May 18, 2022 3:31 am

MLE Chris Boucher
Fits all our needs. Blocks shots , rim runs , guards multiple positions. Shots 3's. Athletic.

Sign and trade Tobias , Thybulle and whatever for Lavine

Lavine is 2/3 can shots 3's high volume and dunks with elite athleticism . Prime 25 ppg scorer.

Vet min some athletic wings Jones Jr / Morris twins.
Let Green go.

Embiid/ Bassey
Boucher / Reed
Lavine / FA/ Korkmaz
Harden/ Shake / joe
Maxey/---

Trade Niang and pieces for something useful in playoffs.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#39 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed May 18, 2022 3:58 am

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:MLE Chris Boucher
Fits all our needs. Blocks shots , rim runs , guards multiple positions. Shots 3's. Athletic.

Lavine is 2/3 can shots 3's high volume and dunks with elite athleticism . Prime 25 ppg scorer.

Let Green go.

Embiid/ Bassey
Boucher / Reed
Lavine / FA/ Korkmaz
Harden/ Shake / joe
Maxey/---

Why would Boston trade Lavine for Tobias and Thybulle?????

People need to discuss realistic trades, some of these are just pointless.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#40 » by eyeatoma » Wed May 18, 2022 7:07 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:MLE Chris Boucher

Let Green go.

Embiid/ Bassey
Boucher / Reed
Lavine / FA/ Korkmaz
Harden/ Shake / joe
Maxey/---

Why would Boston trade Lavine for Tobias and Thybulle?????

People need to discuss realistic trades, some of these are just pointless.
? You mean Chicago.

Because LaVine is a free agent and Chicago underperformed.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers