ImageImageImage

Depth Chart/Minute Allocation

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Re: Depth Chart/Minute Allocation 

Post#61 » by zaz102 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:45 pm

Plus it's weird that's the biggest concern for roster construction. Mine would be the Tobi and Tucker forward pairing. Interested to see how that plays out.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#62 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:09 pm

M2J wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
M2J wrote:
Please it's the same wishful thinking that you all have been spewing about read the entire off-season. It doesn't close anything. He's completely unproven because when he was playing it was not adequate. The only positives anyone can say about Reed is wishful thinking... Not proven. Blame Rivers or whatever for not playing the player that can't prove himself when he does play.... But that's a fact.

The only thing that was stated that was relevant to my post was that he was better in the playoffs. But it doesn't dispute the fact that they had to play 4 starters essentially with him just to SURVIVE those minutes with them. His steal percentage in the regular season doesn't mean anything to what I'm referring to... Which is how poorly this team plays defensively and on the boards when Joel is not in the game. Where there was a clear drop off when he came in playing with the starters other than Joel. I focus on that aspect because it showcases how worried they are about that spot. No matter what center they were using last year.... Which is why they need a new one. The more relevant thing to study rather than if getting in foul trouble in the 4th quarter has hurt the team before the stars get back in (ask any coach that question)... Is how much his steals help the team when he's gambling to get them because he can't defend his position.

It also showcases that in the playoffs each and every game that wasn't a Philadelphia win blowout essentially Reed's a negative vs other backups, meaning even close wins.... He's a negative with the starters at other positions. That's problematic. It needs to be addressed... Like it was vs when Drummond was signed. The team is definitely supposed to drop off when Joel is not playing playing with starters.... It's not supposed to be a negative lineup. Which means during the regular season when they can't afford to play the starters more minutes. The bench is going to kill each and every game.

His size is a problem because that along with his actual lack of abilities to guard perimeter players adequately is why he fouls so much. He was the second best rebounder on the team last year for fact... But that doesn't say much. Which is why they need to get someone that is better. Furthermore Moreyball is going small so that you can add another shooter. He is not that, at least not proven to be that. Despite his athleticism he hasn't even proven to be a legitimate lob threat.

My issue isn't even with Reed. To say you're going all in and to not try to use a veterans minimum contract to sign additional help that is currently available rather than needing to hope that they get cut in the middle of the season or hope that you can trade for one, is asinine. I'm okay with starting a season with Reed as the backup... I wouldn't be okay with not having a backup plan for a talent that you needed to test out in the summer league and calling yourself a contender. Most especially when Joel is considering resting more. You want to rely on a backup center that can't stay out of foul trouble?

I don't recall it going like that? For example, Reed without Harris+Embiid on the court had a +23.1 net rating during the playoffs. Without Harden+Embiid it was +3.1. Without Maxey+Embiid was -7.3.

And they didn't just "survive" with the other 4 starters, Harden/Maxey/Green/Harris/Reed were +36.8.

There were a couple bad games, but like Drummond got played off the court in the Celtics series, had a -22.6 net rating for the series, averaged 15 MPG including 3:36 in Game 4. He got a DNCP the year before in the last game of the Lakers/Suns series. Centers that aren't elite tend to be very hit or miss during the playoffs.

Also keep in mind that the reason why Drummond and Howard before him likely signed here is that they were promised the backup role. So if they want to give Reed a chance at the backup spot to see how he does, you're likely left with the Kyle O'Quinn types that are ok with not playing, at which point it may make more sense to just wait for the deadline and buyouts, and see if Reed continues to grow into the role.

Your "veteran backup 5" on the roster is probably PJ Tucker, also.

Very early in the first round Doc switched to playing those lineups because the responsibilities that should be handled by the backup center were not being taken care of. The plus minus was skewed as I've stated there were some blowouts where the team looked really really good. Also some of the lineups where Reed is without those guys Were also in the blowouts where he played with the other bench players on both teams. Like game 4 versus Miami where Harden was on fire. But my main point is that they had to make it essentially an offensive lineup because of how poor the defense and rebounding turns. Bigger main point is that with Embiid likely to miss games hopefully do the rest. The need for a real backup center grows. At least an option of a big physical presence. I've pushed for Tucker to be the backup center. In special situations. I would just think they would want to have someone with size.

You also cannot expect to see that lineup during the regular season, because the minutes will be shortened. It was a band-aid. Read clearly was a liability in the playoffs. No stat can change what all of our eyes saw. He still has some developing to do. I hope he does develop. A backup plan is essential

I've already brought up the point that someone like Whiteside would likely want a guaranteed role. Unfortunately that probably leaves someone like Howard.

Yeah again I thought he was relatively fine. He wasn't perfect, but then again I can refer you to how Drummond did in the playoffs. Whiteside was also terrible in the playoffs this year, I also remember him being a major liability when he played against the Sixers when he was on the Heat. Dwight really struggled with us last year. These traditional backup 5s can all be serious issues in the playoffs. It's just more noticeable for the Sixers because the guy is replacing our best player.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#63 » by M2J » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:22 am

youngcrev wrote:
M2J wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
I don't recall it going like that? For example, Reed without Harris+Embiid on the court had a +23.1 net rating during the playoffs. Without Harden+Embiid it was +3.1. Without Maxey+Embiid was -7.3.

And they didn't just "survive" with the other 4 starters, Harden/Maxey/Green/Harris/Reed were +36.8.

There were a couple bad games, but like Drummond got played off the court in the Celtics series, had a -22.6 net rating for the series, averaged 15 MPG including 3:36 in Game 4. He got a DNCP the year before in the last game of the Lakers/Suns series. Centers that aren't elite tend to be very hit or miss during the playoffs.

Also keep in mind that the reason why Drummond and Howard before him likely signed here is that they were promised the backup role. So if they want to give Reed a chance at the backup spot to see how he does, you're likely left with the Kyle O'Quinn types that are ok with not playing, at which point it may make more sense to just wait for the deadline and buyouts, and see if Reed continues to grow into the role.

Your "veteran backup 5" on the roster is probably PJ Tucker, also.

Very early in the first round Doc switched to playing those lineups because the responsibilities that should be handled by the backup center were not being taken care of. The plus minus was skewed as I've stated there were some blowouts where the team looked really really good. Also some of the lineups where Reed is without those guys Were also in the blowouts where he played with the other bench players on both teams. Like game 4 versus Miami where Harden was on fire. But my main point is that they had to make it essentially an offensive lineup because of how poor the defense and rebounding turns. Bigger main point is that with Embiid likely to miss games hopefully do the rest. The need for a real backup center grows. At least an option of a big physical presence. I've pushed for Tucker to be the backup center. In special situations. I would just think they would want to have someone with size.

You also cannot expect to see that lineup during the regular season, because the minutes will be shortened. It was a band-aid. Read clearly was a liability in the playoffs. No stat can change what all of our eyes saw. He still has some developing to do. I hope he does develop. A backup plan is essential

I've already brought up the point that someone like Whiteside would likely want a guaranteed role. Unfortunately that probably leaves someone like Howard.

You cutting Bassey then? Because rostering 3 backup 5s for what's essentially a 10 minute role in the playoffs (less if you factor in Tucker) doesn't feel wise.

You can get a better backup center than Dwight Howard mid season if it becomes apparent that neither Reed or Bassey are up to the task.

G league him. He's not ready either.

They tried finding a backup center brought in the kid who played for Dallas and didn't play him.... Milsap was horrid and Jordan.... none of them worked. They went from the best backup center or one of them.... To what was considered the worst backup group in the league and certainly the playoffs.

Just because Reed got a chance against 2 undersized center groups in the postseason.... And did nothing of note shouldn't make anyone secure in that position.

He has talent, but needs to get stronger, learn to shoot, and it's news paper worthy when he makes a correct rotation. Instead of just "BBalling"... as I think he got that nickname for that reason alone (playing hard but not working within the system as his G league coach stated), not because of his skill. It's not stubborn to state these facts. He is a stop gap player rather than a solid rotation player, because he cannot stay on the court due to Paul Reed fouls. Never proven that these aren't concerns... Just made people feel be was better than DeAndre Jordan. Backup center for Joel has been cause for concern on this board for years (on and off) and this guy small forward sized center is not the proven answer with contention on the line.

His biggest flaw is typical of young players, but it is that he doesn't play within the scheme, and he doesn't have the talent to play otherwise. Funny that people are asking for this man to be a major rotation player. But there are some, I repeat some that don't want Matisse to play or even exist on this team.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#64 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:53 pm

Windy saying part of the reason Harden signed when he did was because there likely isn’t going to be a Tobias Harris trade (otherwise Harden would’ve taken the extra money available post-trade). With that said, barring a small Thybulle trade, I think this is how the minute allocation shakes out.

Harden(34)/Melton(14)
Maxey(34)/Melton(14)
House(20)/Thybulle(20)/Tucker(8)
Harris(32)/Tucker(16)
Embiid(32)/Reed(16)

Harden 34 mpg
Maxey 34 mpg
Embiid 32 mpg
Harris 32 mpg
Melton 28 mpg
Tucker 24 mpg
House 20 mpg
Thybulle 20 mpg
Reed 16 mpg

Harden/Milton/Springer
Maxey/Melton/Joe
House/Thybulle/Korkmaz
Harris/Tucker/Niang
Embiid/Reed/Bassey
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#65 » by youngcrev » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:58 pm

M2J wrote:G league him. He's not ready either.

Bassey still takes up a roster spot whether they put him in the G League or not, and you've already got 1 more guy than you can carry during the season before bringing anyone else in.

They tried finding a backup center brought in the kid who played for Dallas and didn't play him.... Milsap was horrid and Jordan.... none of them worked. They went from the best backup center or one of them.... To what was considered the worst backup group in the league and certainly the playoffs.

Which is why people don't want them to sign another bum veteran that Doc will play over Reed again in the regular season.

Just because Reed got a chance against 2 undersized center groups in the postseason.... And did nothing of note shouldn't make anyone secure in that position.

Where are all these big centers that he's going to struggle against? The playoffs tends to be where those guys, apart from the elite, get played off the floor. It's why guys like Drummond end up on minimum contracts in spite of regular season production.

He has talent, but needs to get stronger, learn to shoot, and it's news paper worthy when he makes a correct rotation. Instead of just "BBalling"... as I think he got that nickname for that reason alone (playing hard but not working within the system as his G league coach stated), not because of his skill. It's not stubborn to state these facts. He is a stop gap player rather than a solid rotation player, because he cannot stay on the court due to Paul Reed fouls. Never proven that these aren't concerns... Just made people feel be was better than DeAndre Jordan. Backup center for Joel has been cause for concern on this board for years (on and off) and this guy small forward sized center is not the proven answer with contention on the line.

His biggest flaw is typical of young players, but it is that he doesn't play within the scheme, and he doesn't have the talent to play otherwise. Funny that people are asking for this man to be a major rotation player. But there are some, I repeat some that don't want Matisse to play or even exist on this team

:lol: His nickname is Bball Paul because he chose that as his twitter handle like 10 years ago and the guys at The Ricky thought it was hilarious.

I'm not going to disagree that he's raw. Obviously he is. He does a decent amount of dumb **** on the floor. He also makes a decent amount of plays defensively while he's out there, and isn't as exploitable as the one dimensional drop coverage bigs that get played off the floor in the playoffs.

Generally, what raw players need is playing time. Let him sink or swim in the role, if he fails, you have that information in time to actually address it. This guy needs some actual leash to make mistakes while he's out there, and that's not gonna happen if Doc can fall back on someone like Dwight, who you already know is an ineffective playoff piece at this stage.

I don't know if he's the answer, but you've got to find out before there's nothing you can do about it.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,885

Post#66 » by mjkvol » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:32 pm

youngcrev wrote:Generally, what raw players need is playing time. Let him sink or swim in the role, if he fails, you have that information in time to actually address it. This guy needs some actual leash to make mistakes while he's out there, and that's not gonna happen if Doc can fall back on someone like Dwight, who you already know is an ineffective playoff piece at this stage.

I don't know if he's the answer, but you've got to find out before there's nothing you can do about it.

Exactly. Give Rivers no choice but to play Reed early, and if by the deadline it's clear that he isn't an NBA player, I can't imagine there wouldn't be options at that point.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
M2J
Starter

Post#67 » by M2J » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:12 pm

mjkvol wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Generally, what raw players need is playing time. Let him sink or swim in the role, if he fails, you have that information in time to actually address it. This guy needs some actual leash to make mistakes while he's out there, and that's not gonna happen if Doc can fall back on someone like Dwight, who you already know is an ineffective playoff piece at this stage.

Exactly. Give Rivers no choice but to play Reed early, and if by the deadline it's clear that he isn't an NBA player, I can't imagine there wouldn't be options at that point.

That makes sense. But there weren't options last year. Which is why I really really really want them to get somebody now. When you have options and can just sign someone rather than having to hope they get cut. Or use assets to trade.

It just doesn't make sense to forcefully try to develop a G league talent in such a crucial role when you're trying to go all in and win this year. And I made the joke about BBALL PAUL being the issue of him just doing what he wants, is because that's what Coby Karl says about him when he just didn't run the scheme. He makes the bad mistakes in the NBA. He makes the bad mistakes in the G League when he's there to get the playing time you all request. Then he doesn't have the physical ability or skill set too really play the position well. Doc said last year that the players wanted the other sentence to play over Paul, which says a lot to me.

The idea that they need size isn't about defending big centers... How about rim protection? Boxing out. Better rebounding. Must I bring up my gripe about Lance Stephenson bullying him to the basket twice during the last week of the season? How about letting him win the position like he did vs Jordan instead of shooting yourself in the foot to start in case it doesn't work.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#68 » by HotelVitale » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:01 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Windy saying part of the reason Harden signed when he did was because there likely isn’t going to be a Tobias Harris trade (otherwise Harden would’ve taken the extra money available post-trade). With that said, barring a small Thybulle trade, I think this Is how the minute allocation shakes out.

Harden(34)/Melton(14)
Maxey(34)/Melton(14)
Harris(32)/Tucker(16)
Embiid(32)/Reed(16)

Harden 34 mpg
Maxey 34 mpg
Embiid 32 mpg
Harris 32 mpg
Melton 28 mpg
Tucker 24 mpg
House 20 mpg
Thybulle 20 mpg
Reed 16 mpg

Harden/Milton/Springer
Maxey/Melton/Joe
House/Thybulle/Korkmaz
Harris/Tucker/Niang
Embiid/Reed/Bassey

Looks pretty good but you got Niang not playing at all? That seems unlikely. I think he pulls at least 15 a game as a 3 or 4, and that hey might try a mega shooting lineup with Niang/Tucker or maybe Harris at the 4/5 when Harden is running the second unit.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#69 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:41 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Windy saying part of the reason Harden signed when he did was because there likely isn’t going to be a Tobias Harris trade (otherwise Harden would’ve taken the extra money available post-trade). With that said, barring a small Thybulle trade, I think this Is how the minute allocation shakes out.

Harden(34)/Melton(14)
Maxey(34)/Melton(14)
Harris(32)/Tucker(16)
Embiid(32)/Reed(16)

Harden 34 mpg
Maxey 34 mpg
Embiid 32 mpg
Harris 32 mpg
Melton 28 mpg
Tucker 24 mpg
House 20 mpg
Thybulle 20 mpg
Reed 16 mpg

Harden/Milton/Springer
Maxey/Melton/Joe
House/Thybulle/Korkmaz
Harris/Tucker/Niang
Embiid/Reed/Bassey

Looks pretty good but you got Niang not playing at all? That seems unlikely. I think he pulls at least 15 a game as a 3 or 4, and that hey might try a mega shooting lineup with Niang/Tucker or maybe Harris at the 4/5 when Harden is running the second unit.

I think he’ll get minutes when someone’s out and during garbage time. Other than that, I can’t envision whose minutes he’d be taking.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,410

Post#70 » by Jailblazers7 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:54 pm

Beyond injury full ins, I think Niang is a great guy to have as an off speed pitch to throw in games. If the offense starts to lag, he can be deployed as a shooter throughout the regular season next to Tobias or PJ.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#71 » by 76thBearCub » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:27 am

Niang helps you win a few regular season games. Not much in the playoffs.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#72 » by PhillyNj » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:04 pm

76thBearCub wrote:Niang helps you win a few regular season games. Not much in the playoffs.

Regular season wins are important for playoff seeding. I think Ning was our best bench piece last year.This year assuming these starters:
PG. Harden
SG. Maxey
SF. Harris
PF. Tucker
C. Embiidi
The bench looks like;
Melton (6th man)
House
Thybulle
Niang
Reed

That’s the best bench Embiid has ever had.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,503

Post#73 » by HardenGoat » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:37 am

If Maxey takes another leap, Harden dials back to pre injury form, and Thybulle finds a shot .. look out!!
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#74 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:25 am

HardenGoat wrote:If Maxey takes another leap, Harden dials back to pre injury form, and Thybulle finds a shot .. look out!!

They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#75 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:50 pm

I may be in the minority here but I don't see Tucker and Harris on the same floor working unless it's Tucker at C.

Embiid/Tucker
Harris/Tucker
House/Thybulle
Harden/House
Maxey/Melton

That's the 8 man rotation as I see it come playoffs. You can only have 5 on the floor at once in the end, and I think Tucker helps you get there but doesn't end up as a closer.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
M2J
Starter

Post#76 » by M2J » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:55 pm

The lineup with Melton with the starters has always been interesting to me.

When he was traded for... It was expected that he could start. Prior to PJ Tucker. With the idea being he's defend the best guard, and sometimes bigger wings... Tobias continues to defend top wings.... then find best matchups for Harden and Maxey.

I hope that Rivers is open to utilizing the versatility the team has. There are 3 or 4 guys that could start with the "Big 4" and depending on matchups that could be huge.

Tucker as a 3/4 starter works great. My only concern is if you're playing vs quality guards, who defends them all game long. I could see them figuring it out in the postseason, but day to day.... Could be a concern. I like Tucker as the backup center obviously that could finish games. Starting Tucker should however really help the rebounding problem.

Melton as a guard that plays bigger is versatile himself. Can be a secondary playmaker, is a willing quick trigger shooter, may be the most athletic and explosive player. That paired with Maxey and Harden and Tobias in the open court could be great. He's an obvious fit offensively. Defensively he can defend the best guards. He also is a decent rebounder for his position.

Matisse. When there is someone they really need to stop from point guard to wing. Would love for him to be a better rebounder... I want so many other things offensively.

House is kinda a baby Tucker. Unlikely starter.

I would start Melton or Matisse. I like the additional athleticism and energy throughout the year. I would probably look to start Tucker in the postseason.

But they could be versatile versus the matchups.

For instance, Melton vs Atlanta or NY when they get Mitchell, or Cleveland, etc. Guard driven offenses. Possibly Kyrie with Brooklyn.

Tucker vs Bucks or Celtics that start Big Al and Timelord. But he could also guard Tatum.

One cool thing about Harden is that while he's not a"defender". His strength allows you to hide him on even power forwards. For instance if a team is playing a spot up 4 that's pretty big. Harden can be hidden there allowing Tobias and others to defend better ball handlers and not get killed downlow or on the boards. He could also of course be hidden on a non threatening guard or wing.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#77 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:22 pm

A combo of Thybulle,niang and Korkmaz can kick rocks they aren't gonna help us in playoffs. Trading them for one useful fringe starter with some upside would be a dream preferably another athletic wing .
I left Shake and Joe out of this because they can dribble and trade shots in the playoff grind out style.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#78 » by PhillyNj » Tue Sep 6, 2022 9:03 pm

We’ll the roster is set, so I’ll give my rotation:
PG. Harden
SG. Maxey
SF. Harris
PF. Tucker
C. Embiidi
The bench looks like;
Melton (6th man)
House
Thybulle
Niang
Harrell
Reed
Milton
Korkmaz
Joe,Springer
Looks like Bassey is the odd man out.

That’s the best bench Embiid has ever had. I think this team is better than the 2001 team that went to the finals. The biggest question for me is the coach.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,252

Post#79 » by pr0wler » Tue Sep 6, 2022 9:33 pm

Great signing w/ Montrezl. Wasn't sold with Paul Reed as a the only dedicated backup 5. Harrell will put up insane stats per 36 and further add the Rockets nostalgia on the 76ers.
Ksny13
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#80 » by Ksny13 » Tue Sep 6, 2022 10:39 pm

Harrell is a really good signing for the regular season. His minutes should be extremely reduced for the playoffs. He's a massive liability on the defensive end.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers