Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,588

Re: Doc Rivers has been fired 

Post#141 » by Iverson Armband » Wed May 17, 2023 3:59 pm

youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Zach isn't the alpha on a team with DeMar DeRozan as it's best player, so I don't think he'd be that here.

I'd rather just roll with Maxey and bank on further development and increased assertiveness. They beg that guy to shoot more, they'd be doing the opposite with Zach.

He’ll never be alpha here. But he’s a guy who can go Jason Tatum G7 or Harden G1 and G4 for us that is very valuable in today’s NBA.

Im OK with Maxey, prior to Celts series. Where I thought Biid and Harden can be top tier alphas. I was wrong.

Im not a big fan of Lavine either but you dont really have any choice. The only options I can see now is PG and Kawhi in Clippers, Lavine in Chicago and Cam Thomas in BKN. You need someone who can shoot 3s, average 25ppg-ish on 1.00-ish ppp on ISO.

If we opt to build around Harden and Embiid, we need someone who can carry Harden and Embiid on offense where they can focus on facilitating and defense if both guys decide to choke.

Embiid and Harden are two very good, high volume isolation players. Ignoring the names you brought up for a variety of reasons, the answer isn't more of that, particularly from lower quality options. If there's a way to get a better player than Harden to pair with Jo, by all means. I just don't think the assets exist to achieve that.

Embiid and Harden are still going to be the focal point of this offense to some varying degree whether we like it or not. They need guys that can be effective playing off of them.

Maxey has shown the ability to be effective in that role as a guy that's an elite shooter that can also attack a defense when it's off balance. He's also a guy with a potential to take yet another leap forward as a player, with some clear room to grow as a playmaker.

To me the missing (in terms of realistic, gettable pieces) are wings that will let it fly from 3 and can hold their own on the other end. Guys that can drop 20+ if you choose not cover them. The Celtics were able to shut down the Embiid-Harden 2 man game by packing the paint. Well, make sure they can't do that.

Those guys you speak of aren’t growing on trees either.
always a jump shot away.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,731

Post#142 » by Mik317 » Wed May 17, 2023 4:00 pm

if the plan is to keep Harden and Biid together, I dont know if adding another ball dominant guy is the correct answer lol. Maxey's ability off ball and also lesser stature as a player makes him able to be the third fiddle more easily.. Don't think Lavine or Beal will be too jazzed with most of their time being spot up guys...also both are just as bad or worse defensively

I low key may have switched to team blow it up lol...feels easier for this FO to do than making any potential long term decisions ha
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sam Hinkie
Junior
And1: 337

Post#143 » by Sam Hinkie » Wed May 17, 2023 4:11 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:I get 76ciology’s thinking

We’re limited here. Some of you need to stop acting like we’re too good for certain players, as if we’re not screwed with two lame ass playoff performers and have so much to offer other teams in a trade. Same people who thought Fox & Lavine weren’t good enough for Ben Simmons.

We need to improve the team, not to make a trade that forces us to blow it up with even worse assets than what we would get for blowing up right now. Making a Lavine trade at this point with the guy having 4 years on his contract and sending our only asset remaining aside from Joel is Billy King stuff

As for Fox, i never said i was against that, i said i would prefer Haliburton

I agree with you that Lavine is a flawed player. But he would serve a purpose that's missing on this Sixers team. We need to turn Tobias into a player(s) that fits our team better. If you go through contracts it's tough to find players that might be available and could help our team.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,572

Post#144 » by FireMorey » Wed May 17, 2023 4:11 pm

No cap room, no draft picks, no clear means of significantly upgrading the roster or adding a difference making piece. Wonder if Morey gets desperate and pursues Kyrie in a sign and trade.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,430

Post#145 » by FlyingArrow » Wed May 17, 2023 4:25 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Embiid and Harden are two very good, high volume isolation players. Ignoring the names you brought up for a variety of reasons, the answer isn't more of that, particularly from lower quality options. If there's a way to get a better player than Harden to pair with Jo, by all means. I just don't think the assets exist to achieve that.

Embiid and Harden are still going to be the focal point of this offense to some varying degree whether we like it or not. They need guys that can be effective playing off of them.

Maxey has shown the ability to be effective in that role as a guy that's an elite shooter that can also attack a defense when it's off balance. He's also a guy with a potential to take yet another leap forward as a player, with some clear room to grow as a playmaker.

To me the missing (in terms of realistic, gettable pieces) are wings that will let it fly from 3 and can hold their own on the other end. Guys that can drop 20+ if you choose not cover them. The Celtics were able to shut down the Embiid-Harden 2 man game by packing the paint. Well, make sure they can't do that.

We have several who can provide the offense.

Jalen McDaniels cleared 20pts 6 times this season and is a career 35% 3pt shooter.

Georges Niang cleared 20pts 2 times this season and is a career 40% 3pt shooter.

Furkan Korkmaz didn't clear 20pts this season, but he also only played 20+ minutes 5 times. Over the previous 3 seasons, he averaged 4 games per year with 20+ pts. Career 35% 3pt shooter, but very inconsistent. Two seasons below 30% and two seasons above 39%.

I usually think of Shake Milton as a PG/SG, but he is 6-5. He had 6 games this season with 20+ pts and is a career 37% 3pt shooter.

At 6-9, I expected McDaniels to provide decent defense, too... which is why I expected him to be playing major minutes for us.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,070

Post#146 » by Embiid P » Wed May 17, 2023 4:42 pm

For those who mentioned Caruso, he'd be the perfect backup PG to play alongside Maxey. Thus I'd prefer to keep Maxey if we traded for him.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Post#147 » by Murray_17 » Wed May 17, 2023 4:56 pm

Sam Hinkie wrote:
I agree with you that Lavine is a flawed player. But he would serve a purpose that's missing on this Sixers team. We need to turn Tobias into a player(s) that fits our team better. If you go through contracts it's tough to find players that might be available and could help our team.

What purpose? i don't see it, especially with his horrible contract.

Did we learn something from the Tobias experience?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#148 » by youngcrev » Wed May 17, 2023 5:27 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Embiid and Harden are two very good, high volume isolation players. Ignoring the names you brought up for a variety of reasons, the answer isn't more of that, particularly from lower quality options. If there's a way to get a better player than Harden to pair with Jo, by all means. I just don't think the assets exist to achieve that.

We have several who can provide the offense.

Jalen McDaniels cleared 20pts 6 times this season and is a career 35% 3pt shooter.

Georges Niang cleared 20pts 2 times this season and is a career 40% 3pt shooter.

Furkan Korkmaz didn't clear 20pts this season, but he also only played 20+ minutes 5 times. Over the previous 3 seasons, he averaged 4 games per year with 20+ pts. Career 35% 3pt shooter, but very inconsistent. Two seasons below 30% and two seasons above 39%.

I usually think of Shake Milton as a PG/SG, but he is 6-5. He had 6 games this season with 20+ pts and is a career 37% 3pt shooter.

At 6-9, I expected McDaniels to provide decent defense, too... which is why I expected him to be playing major minutes for us.

Niang fits great offensively, but he obviously gives a lot of that back on the other end. He's the bargain basement version of what you want, and is paid as such. You need some more well rounded versions of that.

Maybe McDaniels can develop, but I don't think teams are worried about him shooting, and he just doesn't seem super coordinated (he puts the OOPS in alley oop).

Tobias looked great sometimes, but the quick trigger just doesn't come natural to him. He's always been more of a rhythm shooter than a pure one.

Shake's a mediocre shooter with a slow release, and far more comfortable on ball than off.

Furk's a bum. Quick release but just doesn't make enough of them and is a minus on the other end.

A guy like Bojan Bogdanovic would eat on this team.

Hell, just give me a collection of guys that are comfortable jacking for volume catch and shoot 3s and you can go with the hot hand.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#149 » by youngcrev » Wed May 17, 2023 5:35 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Sam Hinkie wrote:

What purpose? i don't see it, especially with his horrible contract.

Did we learn something from the Tobias experience?

Well, he certainly willing jack from 3, and doesn't need a ton of space to do so, so there's that.

I don't think he's necessarily a bad fit, I don't know that he helps us much more than Maxey does, and while Tobias isn't ideal... He's also not nothing.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#150 » by 76ciology » Wed May 17, 2023 5:39 pm

Doc Rivers' dismissal is another example of the absurdity with which most organizations view the head-coaching position.

https://theathletic.com/4525649/2023/05/17/doc-rivers-fired-76ers-nba-coaching-carousel/?source=fbhq&fbclid=IwAR3M8PwCfZX3DKv_VghTCG9uCqvr69w1oaSFnleBP7s0ahXnmPw6nYYSkkw
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#151 » by Mik317 » Wed May 17, 2023 5:43 pm

Bud just won a chip; Monty was just in the finals.

Doc hasn't taken us further than Brett did.

Of the 3 he is the last one you can get up in arms about lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#152 » by Eyeamok » Wed May 17, 2023 5:47 pm

So many people talk about Doc's record this year and how the team has improved it's wins total each season he has been coach. But the unforgivable sin for me was the Atlanta series. Forget about BS in game 7, that series should have never gone to a game 7. Twice the 76ers had sizable leads and twice they ended up losing those games. A sign of bad coaching if you ask me.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#153 » by 76ciology » Wed May 17, 2023 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#154 » by Mik317 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:03 pm

should have played better and won then buddy
#NeverGonnaBeGood
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#155 » by mksp » Wed May 17, 2023 6:13 pm

We shouldn't have crowned Joel before he won anything. Has gone completely to his head.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,572

Post#156 » by FireMorey » Wed May 17, 2023 6:29 pm

I was thinking about that the other day. Embiid was anointed the chosen one before he even stepped foot on the court. He didn't have to work his way up the old fashioned way and earn respect and grind like others have to do. I think there is something gained from being drafted as "just another rookie" and having to earn your role and respect and I think it helps you develop killer instinct and develop a chip on your shoulder.

It may have something to do with Embiid's perceived inability to take anything seriously. From joking in press conferences, to always ending up out of shape.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,117

Post#157 » by Arsenal » Wed May 17, 2023 6:34 pm

Mik317 wrote:should have played better and won then buddy

This. Hope Joel takes it to heart that he got a coach he likes fired by not performing when it counts. Use that as motivation to improve.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#158 » by Mik317 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:36 pm

what are yall talking about lol.

Biid missed two years and was getting Oden comps....he wasn't anointed anything until he started playing and playing well.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Post#159 » by Murray_17 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:56 pm

Joel also liked Brett...

Until he acts the talk it doesn't mean anything
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 825

Post#160 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed May 17, 2023 7:07 pm

FireMorey wrote:I was thinking about that the other day. Embiid was anointed the chosen one before he even stepped foot on the court. He didn't have to work his way up the old fashioned way and earn respect and grind like others have to do. I think there is something gained from being drafted as "just another rookie" and having to earn your role and respect and I think it helps you develop killer instinct and develop a chip on your shoulder.

It may have something to do with Embiid's perceived inability to take anything seriously. From joking in press conferences, to always ending up out of shape.

The underlying issue there is "The Process."

When you lose on purpose, you overvalue the players intended to rescue you. When you try to win, you're far less likely to overvalue anyone.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers