And1: 0

Post#122 » by iaaa99 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:29 am

Next step find a coach that can coach. MO please fire yourself. I am speachless
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#123 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:32 am

Worth it to see the game just for the highlights. I guess a sloppy loss (missed FT's, careless TO's, porous defense for long stretches) and yet making a game of it with unbeleivable athletasism and energy is pretty much the hallmark of this young squad.

Much more entertaining night in and night out than the previous 3 years squads of AI and a bunch of slow, old bums.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#124 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:32 am

iaaa99 wrote:Next step find a coach that can coach. MO please fire yourself. I am speachless

We should hang onto Mo for the time being. No need to add on unnecessary salary(look up Billy King) What cost us the game is officiating.
ryst
Banned User
And1: 506

Post#125 » by ryst » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:34 am

Roletagg wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We should hang onto Mo for the time being. No need to add on unnecessary salary(look up Billy King) What cost us the game is officiating.

what cost us the game was bad coaching , from start to finish

its a shame the players play so hard and give all they got out there and yet again being f****d up by there coach

i am sure the new GM see that and he will know what to do.
UptownPhilly
Analyst

Post#126 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:35 am

tk76 wrote:
Much more entertaining night in and night out than the previous 3 years squads of AI and a bunch of slow, old bums.

I agree. Louis Williams, Iguodala, and Dalembert looked really good tonight.

Williams is starting to become clutch, and is consistently becoming a scoring threat.

Iguodala looks more relaxed, and isn't forcing bad shots, while at the same time taking more shots.

Dalembert's D is very solid, and he's eager to score when we need him to.
iaaa99
Sixth Man

Post#127 » by iaaa99 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:35 am

MO finished his Time Out so early. After each Time out we play crapy set. I wish we can hire rick carlisle at least he is proven coach. MO didnot prove anything to me that he is good coach
UptownPhilly
Analyst

Post#128 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:37 am

ryst wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

what cost us the game was bad coaching , from start to finish

its a shame the players play so hard and give all they got out there and yet again being f****d up by there coach

i am sure the new GM see that and he will know what to do.

Don't forget that Jerry Sloan is a much better coach than Cheeks.

Realistically, what coach is available that can make us a contender/solid team in the East in the next few years?

Larry Brown is the only coach I can think of, and I hope he never has anything to do with the Sixers ever again.
Hesitation
Freshman

Post#129 » by Hesitation » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:38 am

For all the flak Doc Rivers catches, he runs great ATP plays...I think the stats on 82games.com, but I can't be bothered to check right now
iaaa99
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by iaaa99 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:39 am

Realistically, what coach is available that can make us a contender/solid team in the East in the next few years?

Larry Brown is the only coach I can think of, and I hope he never has anything to do with the Sixers ever again.

Rick Carlisle
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#131 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:39 am

Wow 92 points from 4 people
Wow 15 from the other 6.

Good effort, Sixers just match up really badly with the Jazz. You need a big that can attack the basket to keep Boozer/Okur honest. And on defense they don't really have any Sam quick enough to cover pick and roles big besides (Who really needs to stay close to the basket). Probably should have played more zone, but even then you're leaving your self open to all their 3 pointers.
ryst
Banned User
And1: 506

Post#132 » by ryst » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:42 am

i agree with you
i dont see any big name coach or someone who can change this team over night
i dont anything to do with LB as well
i would go for Jeff VG a few years back but i dont know now after the years in Houston , i dont think hw wants to coach for a while.

but i am sure they can find a better coach then Mo.
i dont want him fired , they should let him run out his contract at the ned of the year and then sign a new coach.

one of the ways to get big time free agents to the Sixers is bring in a solid coach that can prove to free agents out there the SIxers mean business and wants to build a contending team.
UptownPhilly
Analyst

Post#133 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:42 am

iaaa99 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Rick Carlisle

I'm not sure that Carlisle would be much of an improvement over Cheeks, but I think Cheeks should at least coach the rest of this season, if Stefanski plans on firing him.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#134 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:43 am

iaaa99 wrote:MO finished his Time Out so early. After each Time out we play crapy set. I wish we can hire rick carlisle at least he is proven coach. MO didnot prove anything to me that he is good coach

We run terrible out of time out plays, there's no denying that. They really need to hire someone for that. Cheeks has done a great job with the defense but the offensive sets are sorely lacking.

If they're going to dump Mo I'd rather they bring in some new blood rather than some retread that would have the Sixers play boring basketball like Carlisle.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#135 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:51 am

With a young inexperienced team like this I'm happy with a looser in game coach like Mo. He has all of the players busting it out there, and many have showed year to year improvement with him as a coach. The team has played about 500 ball for him since the AI trade, and I doubt a more elite coach would make this current squad much of a playoff team.

My worry about a more hard nosed coach like a Sloan, Carlisle or Brown is that those type of coaches end up with young inexperienced players in their doghouses- even if the young player plays hard.

It takes many young players a while to adapt to playing in a rigid system. I think our currnet looser system with Miller keeping order and making sure veryone is involved, works better for the make-up of our squad.

In 2-3 years when our young guys skill level and experience has caught up with there talent, maybe we can bring in a more hard nosed coach to push us from a #5 seed to a legit contender. We aren't read to make that leap (maybe as early as next year if we nab Brand) so I am for sticking to Mo as long as our players continue to play hard for him and show improvement.
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#136 » by Reckless » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:00 am

Props to the 6ers for not quitting, made Utah work for that win
phillyborn_jacksonite
Junior
And1: 2

Post#137 » by phillyborn_jacksonite » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:47 am

im with Tk and role on their analysis of Mo...he is exactly what we need for now....carlilse no thanks...if i remember correctly Mo did coach 2 great years at portland before the players sank that ship... so lets let him teach the kids how to play hard for a while...i give him next season with any new moves made by ed..

props to Boozer for showing the sixers faithful exactly what we are missing- a top 3 power forward that can score anywhere within 20ft even during crunch time. his game is very similiar to elton brand-but i doubt he opts out to come here.
sig courtesy of GKgfx
trueblue8to5
Sophomore

Post#138 » by trueblue8to5 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:51 am

phillyborn_jacksonite wrote:im with Tk and role on their analysis of Mo...he is exactly what we need for now....carlilse no thanks...if i remember correctly Mo did coach 2 great years at portland before the players sank that ship... so lets let him teach the kids how to play hard for a while...i give him next season with any new moves made by ed..

props to Boozer for showing the sixers faithful exactly what we are missing- a top 3 power forward that can score anywhere within 20ft even during crunch time. his game is very similiar to elton brand-but i doubt he opts out to come here.

Brand is a nice fit anywhere, you'll be getting a hell of a player.

Jazz got their ass handed to them on the glass. You outrebounded us 40-26.

Great "showcase" game for Miller, he's really helping his trade value.

Good game all in all, from Lou Williams rejecting Okur and slamming it down, Giricek hitting a three and traveling, Iggy with the half court double clutch, and Korver to seal the game.
dond
Assistant Coach

Post#139 » by dond » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:44 pm

There seems to be some disappointment with the coaching. Well, the good news is that can be fixed quickly. Just look at the Celtics ...

Last year, Doc Rivers was a bum ... now he is a genius. All it takes is players.

As soon as the Sixers get better players, Mo Cheeks will become a better coach ... That is how it works folks ...
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#140 » by The Sixer Fixer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:11 pm

dond wrote:There seems to be some disappointment with the coaching. Well, the good news is that can be fixed quickly. Just look at the Celtics ...

Last year, Doc Rivers was a bum ... now he is a genius. All it takes is players.

As soon as the Sixers get better players, Mo Cheeks will become a better coach ... That is how it works folks ...

You hit the nail on the head with that. I remember numerous posts on this board comparing us to the Celtics. Posts like "who had the better young players"..."which team has a better future"..."which GM is a bigger bumb, Ainge or King?"...and such. Most people here thought the Ainge, Rivers and the Celtics young players were all garbage/overrated. Well, their awful GM used those overratted young players to acquire a premiere PF and SG to make their lame duck coach look like a genius. Granted it's still early, but I think we would all trade places with the Celtics in an instant. Sure, their 3 best players may not have a lot of time left, but I don't think anyone would care if we had a title chances over the next 2-3 year.

IMO coaching is overrated in the NBA. Give a coach really good players and they look great....give them mediocre talent and they look like bumbs. Look as Scott Skiles...one year he's talked about like he's a wiz then next year he's fired when the team gets off to a slow start (with basically the same players each year). IMO coaches get too much blame when things go wrong and too much credit when things go right. Just easier to put the blame on one person than 12-15 guys.

Personally, I think Cheeks has done a pretty good job considering what he's had to work with. I have seen some of the young kids develop (Iggy, Lou, Green, etc.) under Mo's watch. I have also seen a veteran like Sam get better the last couple years. I can't say any player, except maybe Korver, who was worse this year than he was last (and that was more just cause his shot wasn't falling). Ok, well maybe Carney, but he just can't shoot. Player improvement is key for me when evaluating a coach. This team plays hard night in and night out and rarely get blown out. Sure they may not be good enough to win the close games, but is anyone surprised by that considering the difference in talent between us and many of our opponents. I see no reason why Mo should shoulder the blame for our current record.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers