ImageImageImage

Carney's B-Ball skills

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

air21ic
Ballboy
And1: 0

Carney's B-Ball skills 

Post#1 » by air21ic » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:10 pm

Any Carney fans out there, please list Carney's b-ball strengths (points, reb, assist, etc).

I personally think he has the second least skills on the team, just ahead of Calvin Booth.
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#2 » by sec-106 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:08 pm

When you find them, let us know.
barkley34
Veteran

Post#3 » by barkley34 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:30 pm

He is fast and can finish on the break, I think that is about it.

He has the physical attributes to become a good defensive player but for some reason he has shown no improvement in that area since he came into the league.

I remember we had a thread on here after he defended Grant Hill in one of his 1st NBA games and most of us liked his defensive potential but for some reason either coaching or a lack of commitment his game hasn't improved much at all.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#4 » by Cru Thik » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:36 pm

Carney fans... Basketball skills...

crickets :)
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,045

Post#5 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:52 pm

Well he's fast...

and...

Is that runner he always throws up with no touch considered a skill? If so, count that...

Did I say he's fast?
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM

Post#6 » by IggyTheBEaST » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:54 pm

hes athletic. too bad thats not a basketball skill
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#7 » by sec-106 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:29 pm

He looks good in a suit, while sitting on the bench.
Welfare Fraud
Starter
And1: 13

Post#8 » by Welfare Fraud » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:38 pm

it rubs the lotion on its skin
CPops57
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#9 » by CPops57 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:25 pm

Maybe he's just not blessed with superior ball-handling ability and he'll never be a guy who can average 4 apg, and thats understandable. But for a guy who can run and jump out of the gym to not be able to rebound consistently is just unbelievable to me.

When he's not hitting shots, which is basically all the time nowadays, he's not contributing in other ways so he's pretty much worthless. He has regressed and that is troubling and doesn't bode well for his nba future.

I think they have to at least be thinking about cutting their losses because they can't be counting on him to be even a good backup player anymore.

Hopefully he can turn it around, but I'm not very optimistic.
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#10 » by Maf » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:38 pm

are we really so bored to discuss such things as unicorns, elves, cyclops or... Carney's basketball skills?
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:00 pm

Carney can be a good player in the league. However CAN and IS are two different things.

He blows just like you thought.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#12 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:33 pm

I saw him hit a few nice 12 ft pull ups in the lane off of penetration in some of his starts. I would like to see him do more of that and forget his arcless floater.

He dunks well,except when he dunks too hard and the ball pops out. He's decisive- but in a bad way. He decides he is going to shoot or drive or pass to a particular player, and then he makes sure he does it.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#13 » by SendEm » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:04 pm

Carney is what we saw of him last season. Not all people can take playing pro sports in a city like Philadelphia. Carney has already cracked in this city and under Mo Cheeks. Carney can be an effective pro player but only in a pro sports city that's less critical of its players. Carney's best attribute on offense can only be centered around him putting the ball in the hole. When Carney is confident he has a unique offensive game but even at the top of his game he has absolutely no ability to cross over and switch directions, everything is done in a fast straight line. Carney is like one of those racing funny cars that go like 300 mph in a straight line while other NBA players are like Porches that can retain speed even while they are turning and cornering.

Carney was drafted for his upside, but upside can only be reached with the right coaching and environment for the player. Who has anyone on the Sixers staff ever developed? You combine that with Carney having a fragile personality in a city like Philly and he ends up looking worse in his second season than he did in his first.

If Carney ever gets to play under D'antoni, George Karl or Phil Jackson and SOON, he still will have a chance at being a decent NBA player.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:16 pm

SendEm wrote: Who has anyone on the Sixers staff ever developed? You combine that with Carney having a fragile personality in a city like Philly and he ends up looking worse in his second season than he did in his first.

If Carney ever gets to play under D'antoni, George Karl or Phil Jackson and SOON, he still will have a chance at being a decent NBA player.

I agree with most of your post.

The team has developed Lou Williams, Dalembert, Iguodala and Korver. None of these players is perfect (many far from it) but each added significantly to their skill set from when they entered the league.

The coaching staff should get at least some credit for the positive development of these players, just as they are held accountable for ways in which players have not developed (ie: Sam's lack of a post game- which really never developed.)
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#15 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:19 pm

Why would you draft a 22 year old for upside? Still don't get what they were thinking.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:29 pm

Dala was 22 entering last season- and was seen as a good defender and dunker with upside. Look how far he has progressed given the opportunity to have the ball in his hands.

Carney was 22 playing in a system where you basically dunked on the break of shot spot up threes. I can see how someone could have more skills that weren't necessarily on display or fully developed in his 4 years at Memphis- of course now it looks like thats all he really can do, so he should end up on a Sun's system team where he can stick to his limited skill set.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#17 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:34 pm

Yeah but they got Iguodala when he was 20. It's different. And he showed a lot more in those two years than Carney did in 4.

And Iggy progressed last year, sure, but a lot of it was him just getting the ball more.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#18 » by SendEm » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:35 pm

tk76 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree with most of your post.

The team has developed Lou Williams, Dalembert, Iguodala and Korver. None of these players is perfect (many far from it) but each added significantly to their skill set from when they entered the league.

The coaching staff should get at least some credit for the positive development of these players, just as they are held accountable for ways in which players have not developed (ie: Sam's lack of a post game- which really never developed.)

I don't agree that this coaching staff developed Korver. I just think that Mo Cheeks was committed to using Korver differently than the coaches before and it even was said so when he first got here. Kyle Korver is just a much more mature and well seasoned player than he was when he first got here. I don't see him doing anything that he had an inability to do earlier in his career. Developing a player goes far beyond just taking credit for coaching a player that ALREADY had a great work ethic. Kyle has a great work ethic it was already written that he would only improve, but it is insane that he has been able to improve his overall speed and quickness WHILE ALREADY IN THE NBA. I give Kyle all the credit for his improvement, Mo Cheeks just aided it along by putting Kyle in more positions than just standing behind the arch like he had previously done here before Mo Cheeks. Kyle Korver ran off of picks/screens and all of that stuff back at Creighton that was his game.

Lou Williams has developed his jump shot and even tweeked his mechanics. He admitted to seeking the professional help of Mark Price for that. Realistically what else has Lou Williams done but get more seasoned as a player? He's still a bench player.

Iguodala has become more well seasoned I don't see him doing anything as a player that he atleast wasn't expected to be able to do in his 4th year as a player.

Dalambert has developed. This is the one player that has added pieces to his game that probably wouldn't have been added if another coach with a different vision for him was coaching the Sixers.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#19 » by SendEm » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:39 pm

Don't forget that Caliperi(sp) had A LOT to do with Carney being drafted here. He gave Carney his stamp of approval and was amongst the loudest preaching about Carney's upside. Billy King really respected Caliperi's(sp) opinion being that he use to be on staff here.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:49 pm

I give players the bulk of the credit for putting in the time to develop there games- but you can't say the team and coaching staff haven't had their players develop.

KK improved dramatically as a defender. He still was not great on the ball, but was less routinely beaten off the dribble by his man. I give coaching some credit for this.

Iguodala is was better at shooting, passing, drawing fouls, finishing under control and breaking down his man off the dribble than when he entered the league. He was not expected to be much of a threat in a half court offense.

LW is a completely different player than when he entered the league. When Lou entered the league he was a talented scorer who could drive well to his right and hit a pull up jumper. Now, he finishes better under control He now finishes with his left hand. He has developed into a player with a good A/TO ratio. He is better at hitting open shooters in rhythm and runing a pick and roll. He can run a team through a set offense. He has improved (but still needs more work) at advancing the ball against pressure and staying in front of other pg's on defense.

Sammy has added a lot to his game, but slower than I would have liked. He has turned out well for a project taken after pick 20, but it has taken many frustrating years for him to turn into a decent starting PF/C, and he still has huge holes in his game and is over-reliant on his athletasism. He gets emasculated when he goes against a bigger, equally athletic player like Howard or Bynum.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers