ImageImageImage

Random thoughts from up close at the Pepsi Center last night

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Swoll Cracker
Sophomore
And1: 0

Random thoughts from up close at the Pepsi Center last night 

Post#1 » by Swoll Cracker » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm a Philly area native living in COlorado now. I go to a lot of D-1 college games, mostly as a season ticket holder at Colorado State, and rarely attend NBA games. But I was there last night to see Jason Smith play. Some thoughts...

Allen Iverson is one of the few reasons to even watch an NBA game. He was the only player on the floor last night who seemed to care that people pay big dollars to watch this stuff. I'm not sure if anybody else on the floor even broke a sweat.

With deference to Andre Miller, Andre Iguondala is clearly the best player on the Sixers. But there are at least two starters on the Sixers who ignore that fact - Willie Green and Reggie Evans. Green never met a shot he didn't like but he sure doesn;t seem to care if he helps someone else get a better shot. As for Evans, there was a play in the 3rd quarter where he had the ball on the wing on a 2-on-1 break. Rather than giving the ball to Iguondala and running the wing, he dribbled all the way to the hoop and was fouled hard by Camby. Nothing but a selfish and bad play by a 40% free throw shooter. And Iguondala's body language told the whole story, including his glancing at Andre Miller and rolling his eyes.

Sam Dalembert took the night off. He set lazy screens on the offensive end and gave a very inconsistent effort onb the defensive end. I know these guys get tired at the end of 6-game road trips but what I saw last night was not what I'd expect from a starting center in the NBA. There was a time in the second half where he had to be told where to go by a rookie on an offensive set. Hardly the stuff on a $10M impact center. I saw Dalembert as a bench player who happens to be a starter on a bad team.

Reggie Evans does not have the skills to start in the NBA. Willie Green is the consummate I'm gonna get my numbers no matter what player.

Louis Williams is a very nice young player. He needs to fill out a little so that he can run through screens on the defensive end a little better, but there is no disputing his offensive skills and his effort. He's a keeper.

Thaddeus Young and Jason Smith contributed quite a bit last night. The Sixers were in the process of tanking early when those two combined with Lou WIlliams elevated the energy level enough to keep the game close. Smith's block of the Nene dunk was the first effort the Sixers bothered to show on the defensive end and while he committed three quick fouls at least he showed he was interested. Young had a stretch in the first half where he looked like a Rookie of the Year candidate, scoring from everywhere; he got a little abuse in the second half but not for lack of effort. They will get better as their bodies fill out.

The Nuggets, other than Iverson, took the night off. They travel to Phoenix to play the Suns tonight and were looking to save energy. The Sixers let them off the hook with a terrible and unprofessional effort. I have no idea how they have won 14 games this season. On the way home I turned to my son and asked him if he thought he could sit through 40 games a year like that as a season ticket holder. He said he couldn't. Neither could I.

The GM has a tough task ahead of him trying to turn the Sixers into a championship team. As much as I hate to criticize a fellow Dukie, Billy King really built a screwed up team. And traded away one of the few guys worth watching every night.
Nofx8881
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Nofx8881 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:10 pm

i wasn't at the game so i guess you would know better than me, but i find it hard to believe that no one out there even tried. are you saying that dalembert and evans just had 26 rebounds fall into their hands while standing around?
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Re: Random thoughts from up close at the Pepsi Center last n 

Post#3 » by sec-106 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:50 pm

Swoll Cracker wrote: As for Evans, there was a play in the 3rd quarter where he had the ball on the wing on a 2-on-1 break. Rather than giving the ball to Iguondala and running the wing, he dribbled all the way to the hoop and was fouled hard by Camby. Nothing but a selfish and bad play by a 40% free throw shooter. And Iguondala's body language told the whole story, including his glancing at Andre Miller and rolling his eyes.

Remember that play well.

Sixers only down 3 at the time, and Evans misses BOTH FT's.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#4 » by corwin » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:57 pm

That assessment seems a bit harsh. Specifically, the second unit played hard when they came in during the 1st half & the game was tied midway through the 3rd period before AI hit those 2 3-pointers. I'd also never accuse Evans of not hustling. IMO Philly gave them a game well into the 2nd half. Denver is clearly the better team but still would have lost if it hadn't been for AI & all of those blocked shots by Camby.
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 243

Post#5 » by Samson » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:08 am

Dude, I am late in announcing this, and hell, I'm late in noticing, but your name deserves instant RealGM Hall of Fame status.

Seriously.

In fact you owe me a shot and a beer cause I just spit said drinks all over the keyboard and monitor in a fit of hilarious laughter upon discovering your unique sobriquet.

Seriously.

Hall.Of.Fame.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers