ImageImageImage

How can each Sixers player be used most effectively?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

How can each Sixers player be used most effectively? 

Post#1 » by SendEm » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:55 am

The first two players that come to mind are Jason Smith and Louis Williams. Those two players have the perfect games to run an effective pick & roll, pick & pop offense through them. They both have good mid range jump shots. Jason Smith can cut, catch, dribble drive and finish strong or pass to the open man. Smith can even pop off of the screen like Dirk Nowitzki to hit the deep deuce.

Instead I see a play being ran for Lou Will where Dalembert or Evans comes out to set a pick for him far behind the three point line directly in front of the basket. Evans and Dalambert aren't a threat on that play. That's the play that earlier this season Lou Will was torching teams with right hand layups, but now teams have scouted it and you rarely see Lou Will get to the cup uncontested.

Evans should not be allowed to dribble the basketball or attempt any field goals that aren't put backs or lay ups. :lol:
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#2 » by UptownPhilly » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:58 am

Evans should never shoot the ball again in his life. He's awful.

You've got something going here. It would be nice to see Cheeks draw up some plays for Lou Will and Jay Smith.
76erinSJ
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by 76erinSJ » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:29 am

The problem is Mo. I would love to see his play book. Its probally written in crayon wit stickers to represent players.
Andre Miller is a bad 3pt shooter.
newcoachtime
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#4 » by newcoachtime » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:30 am

76erinSJ wrote:The problem is Mo. I would love to see his play book. Its probally written in crayon wit stickers to represent players.

Hopefully we got rid of the #1 problem, King 8) I think Mo gets a bad rap, sure I too am critical of things he does or doesn't do. It's not like he walked into a good situation, he came in with the Webber and AI fiasco, then last year AI gets traded and this year it's rebuilding. He's in a rock and hard place this year, and he knows it, things started to come together a little and then Korver is gone, sure a good thing (for next year), but it's a blow to what Mo was doing. Mo has to be thinking as we get rolling again and have something down, Miller will be shipped out.

Philly has been a train wreck ever since Mo started, and it's certainly not 100% his fault, he came into a bad situation and is leaving maybe just when things are looking up, same thing with Portland. It's in a way ashame it had to be this way. I'm not saying he's a great coach, and I might not want him to stay, but he's certainly not the dog some people seem to think. What is he trying to do, win? get PT for the younger guys? which ones? give Lou more time at point? then Miller gets PO'd, it's not always easy or cut and dry, it's too easy for us to blame Mo without first hand knowledge of everything, for we know he is doing what Ed is asking him to do.

I just hope we get a coach that hangs around for more than 3 years, And I'm the last one to be talking coach around here, I still think Brown may be the best option :o
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#5 » by freshie2 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:00 pm

Smith and LW definitely would appear to be a good pick/pop combo. Smith's touch from outside is nice, not as strong finishing around the hoop, but that style of play for those two players makes a lot of sense.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#6 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:51 pm

newcoachtime wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I think Mo gets a bad rap,...

... it's too easy for us to blame Mo without first hand knowledge of everything, for we know he is doing what Ed is asking him to do.

I just hope we get a coach that hangs around for more than 3 years, And I'm the last one to be talking coach around here, I still think Brown may be the best option :o

Anyone else see the irony of a post supporting Mo by "NewCoachTime"?
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#7 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:55 pm

A few years ago AI and Sam used to have a bit of a pick and roll thing going (I can't remeber the coach.) I guess that had more to do with AI's talent and less to do with Sammy- but it was an effective play.

I don't know if Lou runs the pick and roll well yet- but its probably hard to learn without a teammate to run it with. Smith should be a good player on the pick and roll, but he has not looked very effective setting high picks for the ballhandler this season- hopefully he will improve in this area.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#8 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:55 pm

freshie2 wrote:Smith and LW definitely would appear to be a good pick/pop combo. Smith's touch from outside is nice, not as strong finishing around the hoop, but that style of play for those two players makes a lot of sense.

problem is he's the only pick and roll big man we have.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers