ImageImageImage

Stefanski on Monday Night Live

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Stefanski on Monday Night Live 

Post#1 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:53 pm

Did anyone see Stefanski on Monday Night Live yesterday? I only caught the 2nd half of the interview, but a few interesting points:

He told Iguodala that he doesn't know what number he'll get in the off-season, but whatever he gets it will take care of him, his children, and their children.

He told Dre that he's going to put more talent around him and to just focus on basketball. He plans on taking care of the "big signing" and then taking care of Iggy.

Repeated his feelings towards Miller... said he's the glue and that many people are calling, but he's not doing any shopping.... sounds like he's here to stay.

Said he's seen Thad improve already since he's taken over as GM and that the fans should be happy to have someone like him who could become a great player. He sounded like a member of the Thad fan-club.

Did anyone else catch this? Let me know what I missed.
Wildfire
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Re: Stefanski on Monday Night Live 

Post#2 » by Wildfire » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:29 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:

Repeated his feelings towards Miller... said he's the glue and that many people are calling, but he's not doing any shopping.... sounds like he's here to stay.

Then he better be sure we can sign that big FA this off season.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Re: Stefanski on Monday Night Live 

Post#3 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:42 pm

Wildfire wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Then he better be sure we can sign that big FA this off season.

I was waiting for someone to ask him whether or not we plan on clearing more salary if Miller were to stay. I'm sure Ed knows how essential it is to do so.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#4 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:54 pm

just because 10 million's more than anyone else this offseason, it doesn't mean it's enough to pull RFA's from their teams, or to get players with player options to opt out. not only are we competing with other teams in free agency, but we're competing with their previous team with bird years as well. 10 million won't get it done.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 181

Post#5 » by 9th Wonder » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:07 pm

Not only that, but I'm starting to think that guys like Arenas and Brand won't be opting out, given their current injuries. Also, I wouldn't want Jermaine O'Neal anyways, but he's playing horribly this year, plus he has a history of injuries, plus nobody will give him more than he is due to make, should he not opt out. I don't think AI's going anywhere (not that he would be going back to Philly anyways). I'm not sure what to think about Marion, but I don't really like him as a 'first option' guy on the 76ers. As for Jamison and the rest of the field (unless I'm omitting somebody), they aren't the top-flight type of player the this team needs.

I'm not sure how this team is gonna get their man, but I'm thinking we might end up overpaying and RFA, which isn't exactly ideal.

Anyways, just a few thoughts...
philly262
Bench Warmer
And1: 41

Post#6 » by philly262 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:18 pm

I think we're going to cut some more cap space by getting rid of either Carney+Green, or Evans + Carney.

I really don't see Carney staying on this team for more than a year.
Wildfire
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Wildfire » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:18 pm

The only FA's I really want at this point are Josh Smith and Okafor, and given Altanta's success I doubt Smith is going anywhere. Okafor is a constant injury worry so signing him is rolling the dice.

I dunno, I think any way you spin it we still need to dump Miller.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#8 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:20 pm

I think it impossible to know what option might become available to Ed this Summer. We know of the player otions and FA's, but we do not know who might become available by trade.

A team 10M under the cap, with an extra 1st and some young talent is an attractive trade partner. The downside is that an effective post player won't be available for trade unless their are other issues (KG being the rare exception, and why he was so valuable.)

I'm sure Ed would love to free up more capspace dealing Green or Evans- but that is easier said than done.
emptygator
Rookie
And1: 43

Post#9 » by emptygator » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:23 pm

i agree with you that there is going to be no top free agents available for the sixers, especially with only 10 mil in cash this summer.

bottom line its going to take a sign and trade
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#10 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:29 pm

9th Wonder wrote:I'm not sure what to think about Marion, but I don't really like him as a 'first option' guy on the 76ers.

Marion is one of my favorite players in the league, but he's low on the totem pole in terms of who we should be targeting. His rebounding, defense, and intangibles could be a nice addition and he'd probably fit into our up-tempo offense, but he won't ever be the guy to take us to where we want to go.

We need to head into this summer with more than what we have. Money is about the only thing we can offer FA's/RFA's that will entice them to send themselves Philly-worthy. I'm sure Ed's objective is to have the fire power to be a legitimate player in this market. More moves would have to be forthcoming in the next month for this to ever manifest itself, but I'm fairly confident he's aware of the predicament he'll find himself in this summer if he doesn't finish the job he started when he traded Korver.
dond
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by dond » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:50 pm

And ... don't overlook the possibility of doing nothing. If nothing looks like it will help the team get appreciably better for the long term, then ... do nothing. Sometimes, being patient pays off big just a few months later.
philly262
Bench Warmer
And1: 41

Post#12 » by philly262 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:51 pm

The only far out possiblity I see right now is Amare being traded for cap space, picks and Young talent.

Now the Sixers could trade their 08 pick which would be in the 9-11 range, the Utah pick, Jason Smith and maybe somebody else.

Now do you think that would be enough to get Amare from the Suns?
sixersinsider
Sophomore
And1: 2

Ed s Off season 

Post#13 » by sixersinsider » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:00 pm

Eddie is in the buisness of collecting pieces that fit at bargain prices. He will find a way two add two pieces this summer one thru free agency a kristic type of player signed to a modest type of contract and a first option thru a trade where he gives up draft picks and a prospect and absorbs salary players like Redd ,Amare, Gasol,Aldrige, fourtunatley Thad stock is rising thru out the leauge basketball, minds understand that a player of his ilk doesn't need a yo yo type of handle ,he just needs to be able to get to the hole from the three point line in one dribble. He needs to demonstrate this abilaty 10 times a game. Thad could turn out to be a player Ed is not willing to give up ....Thad>Rudygay.. Eddie will pull the triger on a sighn and trade deal for Dala
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:07 pm

So you are saying we trade away Iguodala. We sign Kristic. And then acquire a Redd, Gasol or Amare?

I would not be happy with that scenario. Why give up on Iguodala- are ypu thinking that is what it will take to trade for another top player?
AI2TY5
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#15 » by AI2TY5 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:41 pm

philly262 wrote:The only far out possiblity I see right now is Amare being traded for cap space, picks and Young talent.

Now the Sixers could trade their 08 pick which would be in the 9-11 range, the Utah pick, Jason Smith and maybe somebody else.

Now do you think that would be enough to get Amare from the Suns?

only if that somebody else is iggy
howiezbt
Bench Warmer
And1: 60

Post#16 » by howiezbt » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:50 pm

I think it is too early to tell what is in store for the off season. Yuo never know who will be available and what our pick is going to be. If we get a top two or three pick, then going after certain players does not make any sense.

Best to wait it out. If we could lose Green in the process, then maybe it is worth it to make a move. Otherwise, lets stand pat and see what happens with the development of Thad and Smith. Remember most players do not really shine until their 3rd year so we have time.
is1531
Banned User

Post#17 » by is1531 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:37 pm

Wildfire wrote:The only FA's I really want at this point are Josh Smith and Okafor, and given Altanta's success I doubt Smith is going anywhere. Okafor is a constant injury worry so signing him is rolling the dice.

I dunno, I think any way you spin it we still need to dump Miller.

I have been watching Okafor all year long.You do not want sleepwalking Okafor.The power of NBA League Pass is overwelming.It beats box scores every time.
sixersinsider
Sophomore
And1: 2

emotionally invoved 

Post#18 » by sixersinsider » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:45 pm

The reason most fans wouldn't be happy with a sighn and trade of dala is because we just like billy king are emotionally involved with the player we've watced him grow up and mature from being a spineless rook into a mediocore trading chip.Thankfully Ed is not attached to Dala and see,s him for what he is a ....chip....
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: emotionally invoved 

Post#19 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:53 pm

sixersinsider wrote:we've watced him grow up and mature from being a spineless rook into a mediocore trading chip...

:crazy:
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Re: emotionally invoved 

Post#20 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:58 pm

sixersinsider wrote:The reason most fans wouldn't be happy with a sighn and trade of dala is because we just like billy king are emotionally involved with the player we've watced him grow up and mature from being a spineless rook into a mediocore trading chip.Thankfully Ed is not attached to Dala and see,s him for what he is a ....chip....

Try to make your 4th post a little better than that

Return to Philadelphia 76ers