ImageImageImage

Iguodala Frustrated, Sniping At Teammates

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#21 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:59 pm

I e-mailed Jasner and Narducci to see if they believe anyone on the Sixers is bothered by Iguodala's attitude. I miss the days when we mostly discussed Xs and Os rather than this "he said, she said" stuff.
THFM
Junior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by THFM » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:02 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:Wait... show me that link 'cause I ain't buying that.

Sixers' Iguodala Blasts Team After Loss

Philly Blurbs -
Following the Sixers' listless 116-101 loss to the Gilbert Arenas-less Wizards on Tuesday night at the Verizon Center, Andre Iguodala let it be known that he's not a happy camper.

Iguodala (3-for-11, 10 points) was displeased by the performance of the Sixers (3-7), who have lost five of their last six. They trailed the Wizards by 37 points late in the third quarter.

Rickdiculous
Sophomore

Post#23 » by Rickdiculous » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:07 pm

I like the passion that he is showing, but he needs to be realistic about this team. To put it bluntly, this team stinks. I think we have good pieces that we can build upon, but frankly the opposing teams are coming into the games expecting to beat us.

I know he probably wouldn't dispute the fact that this isn't a championship caliber team, and that his frustrations are regarding the team not playing up to it's full potential. However, it appears that from the brief description of the article on wiretap that he may be taking his frustrations out on the team.

Take a chill pill Iguodala... constructive criticism is more positive than the fits of frustration and poor body language he is displaying towards the end of games. That is a true leader. "Sniping at teammates" isn't the best quality to have as a team leader... especially one who isn't leading by example.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:08 pm

I remember that but that's a far cry from saying he's worse than Iverson or even in the same category.

Also of interest in that column is that Iguodala said the Sixers "stink in practice, too". Iverson NEVER would have made that comment since he was never at practice.
Rickdiculous
Sophomore

Post#25 » by Rickdiculous » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:14 pm

We've got to do something, anything
noone
Analyst

Post#26 » by noone » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:I remember that but that's a far cry from saying he's worse than Iverson or even in the same category.

Also of interest in that column is that Iguodala said the Sixers "stink in practice, too". Iverson NEVER would have made that comment since he was never at practice.

That isn't the article I was talking about. And everything he said in that article imo is fair game.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 pm

SportsNite had a story about the Sixers' struggles. Mo said he isn't frustrated while Iguodala and Dalembert both said they are frustrated with losing. Of note, Iguodala used the words "we" and "us" throughout his sound bites just as Dalembert did.

This really seems like a non-story and yet I keep writing in this thread. AHH... where's Susan Powter when you need her?
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#28 » by freshie2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Iguodala does look frustrated, and I do hope he doesn't follow the other AI in this area...both need to play and forget about the refs.

As for the article, it appears to blow this out of proportion simply with the title. If any of you have the media write on your work, you will know that most of what is written, especially in headlines, is garbage. This headline doesn't seem to accurately capture the situation from the interviews or even the quotes.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#29 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:11 am

The RealGM headline takes one line out of Narducci's column:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... 71476.html
Recently, Iguodala has been seen sniping at teammates. He also is one of the more animated complainers when talking to officials.

We have all seen Dala's frustration while watching the games. I agree he has glared at teammates, which is not productive, but I don't see how anything Dala has said has been sniping at his teammates.

My problem is that Dala's actually statements after the game were measured. If anything its almost like Narducci is throwing Dala to the wolves to punish him for skipping out on thye media on Tuedays night because I don't think thses quotes can be taken as attacking teammates or being a primadona. (I realize claiming this was intentional by Narducci is conjecture- but he should know this could damage a players reputation.)

From Jasner:
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... what_.html
The frustration, which has been building, has become more and more evident. Andre Iguodala, in a rare move, did not meet with reporters after Tuesday's home loss to the Milwaukee Bucks. Last night, he went from 3:59 of the first quarter to 7:36 of the fourth between field goals, but afterward he stayed resolutely slumped in his locker-room stall, trying mightily to dissect the situation.

"I'm just upset we're not playing up to our ability in games,'' he said after finishing with 16 points, seven rebounds, four fouls and five turnovers in 33:27. "We get times where we're down mentally. It's just tough, losing. It's losing, that's what it is . . . I think we've got a group of guys who can win. We may not have the most talent, but we certainly can win.

"When you don't get results, you're going to be upset. It'd be tough for me not to be upset. I just want to stop losing . . . every team has something they think they need. We're just really young right now; we don't know how to respond to a 7-0 run. There are times when we need to execute an offensive play, we might have mental lapses.''

Case in point: Down 95-85 with 5:44 left, they came out of a timeout and saw Iguodala get a running one-hander blocked by Bosh, Samuel Dalembert turn the ball over, Green hit a driving layup, then get another drive blocked by Moon and shoot a three-point airball.

"We have guys who are really young,'' Iguodala said. "We have guys who don't understand small details yet. You really can't force it on them; even myself, I'm young. I go through times where I might force a shot at the wrong time.''

Or, double-teaming by the Raptors notwithstanding, he managed just two shots in the second and third quarters and only six after the first quarter.

"Nothing against the team or the playcalling, that's just trying to find the right spots,'' Iguodala said. "I'll just put that on myself, really try not to let that happen as much as it has been lately. You try to keep your composure, you try to stay levelheaded, [but] we're all human. If we have any guy who's just happy about where we're at, they don't need to be a part of it. But I feel like everybody's a little upset, some more than others. Hopefully, we can turn that bad vibe we have as far as losing into something good.''
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:15 am

Iguodala says a lot the his interview- most of it sounds spot on- and he is owning up to his responsibility.

I honestly do not know how Narducci writes a column about Dala's frustration and leaves out all of what Iguodala says about how he feels.

If Jasner hadn't included these quotes we never would have had Dala's take on things to put alongside Narducci's article- and this is poor, incomplete journalism by Narducci.
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#31 » by SendEm » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:56 am

Iguodala is frustrated because he is getting exposed every night for not being able to penetrate and score off of the dribble in his 4th season in the NBA in a contract year.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,940

Post#32 » by Mik317 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 am

**** off with that **** son...........

He is frustrated because this team blows....

lock this crap.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 am

Here are e-mail responses I got from Jasner and Narducci about Iguodala.

Q:It seems like people are making more than they should out of Iguodala's expressions on the court. The kid admits he's frustrated with losing but do you believe that Iguodala has become a problem in the locker room? Do you believe any of his teammates are getting tired of him??

JASNER: my impressions are only based in part on his on-court body language. i take a lot from pre-game, post-game and post-practice interviews and conversation. he's frustrated by the losing, and possibly having second thoughts about not accepting the extension offer. that has nothing to do with his teammates.

NARDUCCI: Even Iguodala admitted today that he can't let his body language show his displeasure on the court. I don't think this is starving for a story because if this weren't pointed out, it probably would have gotten worse. What he has been doing recently - sulking and getting on teammates, has been counterproductive. I really like Iguodala and think he's talented. He also has to take a step back and not appear as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:48 am

thanks for the info TGP. You do at least as much due diligence as our beat writers.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#35 » by freshie2 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:22 am

Good insight...I don't doubt the contract weighs on his mind. Big decision, publicly questioned and discussed so you can't put it out of your mind. Think about what most 23 year olds deal with...school loans, grad school, maybe marriage. He just turned down more money than everyone on this board probably will make in their lifetimes...combined!!

It's a funk, hopefully he comes out of it tomorrow, and the team can get a win. The money is still going to be there.
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#36 » by Sandalf42 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:25 am

Teams rebuilding always have this problem. Someone's not used to losing (in this case, A LOT OF LOSING), and you hear rumblings of him being unhappy.

That's just what happens. This'll blow ever in the long run.

Hell, years later we might be laughing about this.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers