ImageImageImage

Arenas opt-out comments

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Arenas opt-out comments 

Post#1 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:37 pm

I think we can forget about Arenas wanting to sign here if he opts out. I don't think I want him anyhow.

Arenas said yesterday he plans on opting out of his contract after this season. He said the Wizards are his top option but he is willing to go elsewhere.

"I want a new contract for the longevity of it and get another six years at the end of this deal," said Arenas, who is making $11.9 million this season. "I don't know what's going to happen. I could have signed an extension this year, but it wasn't going to make sense for me. If my own team doesn't take me, I'll go somewhere for a lot less to win a championship."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... s_celtics/
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#2 » by Cru Thik » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:41 pm

I don't think Arenas was ever a legitimate option for us. He blasted our young player he causes way to much drama. His style of basketball wouldn't help this team with it's continued growth.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#3 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:53 pm

I was interested in Arenas but now that Stefanski is running this team... I doubt that he makes a max offer for Gilbert for two reasons..

1) Stefanski made a comment a couple of weeks ago that he loves PGs who make other players better. He was talking about Andre Miller and how he was spoiled with Jason Kidd up in East Rutherford. Arenas isn't a PG that makes his teammates better.

2) Stefanski has repeatedly talked about how a "high scoring PF" is his top choice to add to this team. Since I don't believe he'll trade Miller, I don't think he'll spend all of his cap space on Arenas who is not a PF and has missed significant time over the past two seasons due to knee injury.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Post#4 » by Sixersftw » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:56 pm

did he actually say high scoring? I thought he said a post presence. If he did say that, josh smith and okafor are probably much lower on our list than we thought. Can't J.O opt out this year?
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:04 pm

Sixersftw wrote:did he actually say high scoring? I thought he said a post presence. If he did say that, josh smith and okafor are probably much lower on our list than we thought. Can't J.O opt out this year?

If he said "post presence", then Josh Smith will be very low on the list. He has virtually no post game. If he said high scoring, then Okafor will be low on the list. Okafor, while lacking offensive moves, at least plays in the post.

Personally. I want no part of Okafor on this team for what he will want in $$. Okafor has basically been outplayed by Nazr Mohammed since they trade for him. That not very encouraging.

While I love a lot of things about Josh Smith, he's not that high on my list either.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Post#6 » by Sixersftw » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:07 pm

neither was particularly high on my list either, I was just looking for clarification.

Josh smith is not high on my list because i wan't a post presence. someone we can dump it into to get a high precentage shot or a high precentage shot for others. Josh isn't that guy

Okafor for much the same reason as you and he really has a limited offensive game.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:07 pm

I could be wrong on this but I believe the "high scoring PF" remarks came out the day of or day after the Korver trade went down when he was on the Jody Mac Show. The only reason it stuck in my mind was due to things that were said above about Smith and Okafor because I thought the same thing.

I'll do some research to see if I'm crazy or not...
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:09 pm

What I rememebr him saying on one of the radio shows was that he wanted a back to the basket style PF who can get easy baskets for this team. He said this team lacks someone who can get the easy basket in the post.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#9 » by Cru Thik » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:09 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:I'll do some research to see if I'm crazy or not...

We don't need research to know your crazy. :wink:
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Stefanski did make that comment but I remember when and where he said it. He was on DNL back when he got hired for the job and the panel asked him what his thoughts were on the team and what the team needed. He said that he believed this team needed a high scoring PF with post moves so that it could open up the outside for players like Iguodala.

Saying what this teams "needs" and what he's actually going to get are two different things.
phiphan
Head Coach
And1: 2,331

Post#11 » by phiphan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:31 pm

Coming to this team would be a lateral move for Arenas, imo. I don't think he'd see his prospects of winning a championship here as any better than his chances in Washington.

Now maybe a S&T with a legit playoff team that has some young pieces to throw in the deal...
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#12 » by SendEm » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:06 pm

I hope the Sixers don't sign Antwan Jamison. He's a 20 and 10ish kind of "PF", but he has proven to only be a bench type player for contenders. He's a tweener that can't block shots or alter them.
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#13 » by IggyTheBEaST » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:05 pm

A post presence woudl be nice, but would anyone here be upset if we landed josh smith
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#14 » by UptownPhilly » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:17 pm

At least Josh Smith fits the athletic mold that Stefanski wants.

I'm not sure whether he specified whether he wants a PF with a post prescence.

Is there a possibility that Dalembert may be shipped out for a Center that can score down low? Who would be available at center?
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#15 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Samuel Dalembert averages double figures on a consistant basis, that's not bad for a center. The PF spot has been the weakest spot since Charles Barkley. Where we've had Kenny Thomas, Corliss Willamson, and Chris Webber(current Webber)
noone
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#16 » by noone » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:06 am

Is there a possibility that Dalembert may be shipped out for a Center that can score down low? Who would be available at center?

I wouldn't mind a sign and trade of Sammy and filler for Okafor.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#17 » by freshie2 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:58 am

Not big on Arenas.

Not big on moving Sammy for Okafor...would like to see them next to each other. Okafor isn't going to extend the defense, but he would be a huge upgrade over Evans.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#18 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 am

I WOULD be a huge upgrade over Evans.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers