ImageImageImage

Thad Young gets better and better? Rookie game next?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

TheAnswerAI
Rookie
And1: 0

Thad Young gets better and better? Rookie game next? 

Post#1 » by TheAnswerAI » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:39 pm

Young gets better and better. It's just great to watch him play and get better in each game. Mo does the right thing giving him the minutes.

In the last 7 games, Thad puts up those numbers:

21,7 MPG - 9,9PPG - 4,7RPG - 1,4SPG and 1,3TOPG

He hits 55% of his shots, 66% of his threes and 83% of his Free Thorws in those 7 games.

If he keeps up those numbers do you think he will be on the Rookie Team on the All-Star weekend. Has Smith a chance too?

Green played good in his last three games too, but it's really time for Mo to put Young in there. He just has to get 30 minutes a night. When do you think is the time Mo finally gets it?
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#2 » by Cru Thik » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:03 pm

Mo will finally get it when Ed forces him to do it. I think if Young keeps up his play and gets more minutes he could end up playing in the Rookie game at the All-Star game. I don't think Smith will be playing on the team though.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
The76thDegree
Starter
And1: 102

Post#3 » by The76thDegree » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Ditto Cassidy

If Thad gets in that would be great - all the people who scratched and shook their heads when we drafted him ahead of Thornton might actually acknowledge it as a wise move since that he's better now than Thornton and will be even better 3 years from now when Thornton is 42 and retired
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#4 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Right now, I see the starting lineup looking something like this ..

PG - Conley
SG - Durant, K
SF - Moon, J
PF - Yi
C - Horford

Not positive how big the all-start rosters are, but these are the next best at each position...

PG - Law or Stuckey (put him at PG due to no depth)- PG options are very weak
SG - Cook, N. Young and Navarro
SF - T. Young, J. Green, Thornton
PF - Noah and J. Smith
C - S. Williams and Gray

If I'm picking a 12 man roster, I'm taking the following...

PG - Conley - Stuckey
SG - Durant - Navarro - Cook
SF - Moon - T. Young - Jeff Green
PF - Yi - Noah
C - Horford - Williams

It was close between Noah and Jason Smith, but I gave Noah the nod cause more fans will want to see him cause they know who he is. I could also see Thornton getting in there somewhere. Maybe him over Noah even though he's not really a PF.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#5 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:41 pm

There are only 9 players who make the Rookie Team and I see it going like this:

1. Durant
2. Horford
3. Conley
4. Yi
5. Brewer
6. Sean Williams
7. Moon
8. Scola
9. Jeff Green

I think Thad will get snubbed. Any chance Carney makes it for the Sophmore Squad??? :-)
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#6 » by tk76 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:42 pm

If there is a 12 man roster I would think there is a decent chance the #12 pick will get to play. there may be later picks or FA with more impact, but likely some players won't be able to particpate due to injuries.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:44 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:There are only 9 players who make the Rookie Team and I see it going like this:

Wow, only 9 guys make the team? Not even 1 backup at every spot? That's odd.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:45 pm

TGP - why would Brewer make it? He has been downright awful
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 pm

I think the league will put him in there due to name recognition. Same goes for Noah even though he got suspended by his own teammates. I'm all for having Thad on that team and really want him there but casual fans don't know him and his stats aren't that great. If he would have started playing this way at the beginning of December I would feel really good about his odds.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Well, just looked at last year and only 9 guys were on the roster. That kinda sucks. Based on that, Thad is right on the cutoff I think.

I'd take
PG - Conley
SG - Durant - Navarro
SF - Moon - Green
PF - Yi - Scola (forgot him 1st time)
C - Horford - Williams

Same as TGP, but I'm taking Navarro or Cook over Brewer
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by tk76 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:55 pm

I gues we'll have to wait for his sophomore year, or maybe just wait a few years until he's in the real game alongside teammates Iguodala and Brand...

Does anyone remember watching the 83 allstar game. Dr. J, Moses, Mo, and Toney. (Booby Jones had also been an all-star the year before.)

Dr. J won the MVP (at Boston), and per Wikipedia, "One of the more memorable performances was given by Marvin Gaye during the 1983 game. Gaye was accompanied by a drum machine and used numerous elements of soul music and funk. The entire audience was clapping along as the song reached its last line." www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:I think the league will put him in there due to name recognition. Same goes for Noah even though he got suspended by his own teammates.

I feel the same about Noah, but not Brewer. I really don't think he carries any name recognition with the casual fans. Also, Thad's stats are better than Brewer's and he's played nearly half the minutes I see no way Brewer makes the team.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 pm

I could see that roster as well, SF. While Thad making the Rookie Team would be nice, I would love to be at this point next season and not have any questions about him making the game on the Sophmore squad.

By the way, it'll be interesting next year when this game happens and Durant is on the Sophmores and Oden is on the Rookies.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Also... if you ever want to feel sick and need a new reason to hate espn.com.... take a look at David Thorpe's rookie rankings. He has Thad at #15 even though Thad's numbers rival that of most guys ahead of him despite playing less minutes.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by tk76 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:10 pm

You have to watch the games to appreciate the impact Young has recently made in his limitted minutes. Last night was a good example. His numbers didn't make any headlines but his per minute production and on the court impact was inescapable to anyone watching the game. I doubt many people at ESPN have watched many Sixers games this season.

Give it a few more months, and the analysts will catch up to the young buzz- while at the same time his honeymoon with fans might be a bit less pronounced once he gets the regular minutes he has earned
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#16 » by Tha King » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:13 pm

I dont think he will make it. Now, if he gets the minutes, I can see him putting up 10ppg and 5rpg as a starter. The thing is, he was underrated coming into the draft, no one was talking about him, Jay Bilas and co. even questioned the selection. His numbers are comparable/better then guys like Brewer, and Green even though he's getting half the minutes, but please believe they'll get picked before him. Kind of like what happened in the draft last year, he was the risky pick, even though his numbers were just as good as Brewer, Green, and Wright while only being a freshman lol

btw dont worry about him playing in the game as a rookie, it may be better if he doesn't make it. A motivational thing, where he can improve his game to show them up. Aldridge was in Young's position last year, didn't get the minutes first part of the season, didn't make the team. Look at him now, he's one of the stars of the game.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#17 » by ITK9 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:28 pm

i don't see any reason for conley,noah or brewer to make the team.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:33 pm

IggyTheKing wrote:i don't see any reason for conley,noah or brewer to make the team.

Conley clearly will (and should) be on the team. He's the only rookie PG who starts and he's putting up pretty good numbers since he got the starting nod. He's at 11 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 5.4 APG and 1.5 SPG since becomming a starter (8 games).

The rookie team needs a PG and he's the only PG having a good year. He's on the team.
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#19 » by IggyTheBEaST » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 pm

IggyTheKing wrote:i don't see any reason for conley,noah or brewer to make the team.
conely has to make it, or the team wouldnt have any pgs
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#20 » by dbodner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Wait, how can you make a case for Thad, then say Conley doesn't deserve it?

8.8 points, 4.6 assists, a near 3/1 assist to turnover ratio and good percentages, AND he's starting now and averaging 11.1 ppg, 5.4 apg, 45% shooting and 36.4% from 3?

I mean, thad's playing well and all, but Conley's done more to deserve it.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia

Return to Philadelphia 76ers