ImageImageImage

Ed Stefanski's Draft Track Record

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Ed Stefanski's Draft Track Record 

Post#1 » by SendEm » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:26 pm

First let's nail down his responsibilities each year that he spent with the NETS. In 2004 he became the GM after spending one season as the VP of basketball operations. He was the Nets director of scouting for 4 years before the VP job. I figure that he came on the Nets scene in 1999 even though this is unconfirmed and I really don't desire to spend extra time searching google to find this out. Stefanski specialized in international scouting when he was with the Nets but the Nets have drafted some TERRIBLE international players and passed on some terrific ones.

1999 Draft the Nets traded away their 1st rd pick and drafted Evan Eschmeyer 34th overall while Calvin Booth, Gordan Giricek, Francisco Elson, Lee Nailon, Todd MacCulloch, and Emanuel "Manu" Gin
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#2 » by UptownPhilly » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:47 pm

I don't think we're doomed if Tony DiLeo is the man responsible for the Sixers' success in previous drafts. If BK was, then yes, the Sixers are in deep trouble.

His last too drafts are still up in the air though. The players listed after Williams and Boone are just as good, if not better, but they both appear to be glue guys for the Nets.

The Sean Williams pick may end up being a steal for the Nets. I agree that 2003-2005 were awful though.

I remember Ed saying that he was a risk taker though, so don't throw all of your hope into the draft with him. It's hit or miss.

What we should be concerned about is trades, and how he manages our team's budget for future moves.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#3 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:02 am

The way that I feel about Ed right now after doing this research is that he is one of those guys from the school of thought of drafting Marbury over Iverson just like Larry Brown. It's no coincidence that the same corporation that hired Larry also hired Stefanski. We're in for a hell of a next few years judging by the failed track record.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#4 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:13 am

I don't buy into that. It can be said for practically any team that they passed over many great players in the draft. Each and every year there are several guys whom are taken far below where they should have been. I trust in Stefanski's abilities and believe that he truly knows what he is doing.\

Edit: I believe the draft is certainly important, but free agency and trades is where it's gonna matter the most, in my opinion.
psykosacul
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#5 » by psykosacul » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:27 am

sssoooo...

1999: passed on late first/second round suprises (which 20 other teams also did)

2000: they had the first pick and took the best player

2001: trades one bum for two bums and a borderline all-star

2002: drafted best available player (a seven footer that filled a need)

2003: passed on late first/second round suprises (which 20 other teams also did)

2004: passed on late first/second round suprises (which 20 other teams also did)

2005: passed on late first/second round suprises (which 20 other teams also did)

2006: took two big name/big school college players at positions of need

2007: got a guy with top ten talent

doesnt look to shabby to me.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#6 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:39 am

Terrible spin job psykosacul.
Stephanski drafted Viktor Khryapa at #22 over Kevin Martin at #26. He drafted Antoine Wright at #15 over Danny Granger at #17. Terrible talent evaluation. The Nets could have had Kevin Martin and Danny Granger but instead drafted 2 players that haven't even been fixtures on NBA rosters.Those are two HUGE misses. MONUMENTAL misses. Both times within only 4 picks. He CONSISTENTLY drafts horrendously.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#7 » by dbodner » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:00 am

Terrible spin job psykosacul.

There isn't one person who hasn't passed on a better player. Not one team. Sitting back and talking about the gaffe Stefanski made by passing on Jordan Farmar is disingenuous. when you look at the overall picture, and where they were drafting, they did a pretty good job over there. Here are the nets 1st draft selections over the last 7 years:
#17, #22, #15, #22, #22, #24, #7

Getting Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic, Marcus Williams and Sean Williams out of that is above average considering how late all those picks are. Could it have been better? Yeah. I haven't met one team that batted 1.000 though. It's impossible to call passing on Danny Granger and Kevin Martin horrible misses that prove he's a bad drafter considering 16 and 25 teams passed on them, respectively.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,873

Post#8 » by Stanford » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:02 am

Not to mention Josh Boone
Ravi
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Ravi » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:10 am

You can make most GM's look bad if you judge them by the players that they have passed on.

However you have a point thats a pretty bad draft record.

Hopefully Stefanski listens to his scouts.
psykosacul
Head Coach

Post#10 » by psykosacul » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:16 am

youre the one spinning man, thats my whole point. if you look at the whole picture instead of telling us the sky is falling you come up with interesting FACTS.

1. 2004: 13 out of 19 other teams drafted a lesser player than martin before the nets pick

2. 2005: 7 out of 14 other teams drafted a lesser player than granger before the nets pick
"get that hippy crap out of here." - the standford standout
is1531
Banned User

Post#11 » by is1531 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:16 am

SendEm wrote:The way that I feel about Ed right now after doing this research is that he is one of those guys from the school of thought of drafting Marbury over Iverson just like Larry Brown. It's no coincidence that the same corporation that hired Larry also hired Stefanski. We're in for a hell of a next few years judging by the failed track record.

Who did you blame when John Stockton was drafted 16th in the ist round in 1984 and for Carl Malone 13th in 1985. Did you know the 76ers actually liked Stockton, after picking Charles Barkley, but chose a future basketball referee instead with their other ist round pick? The 76ers chose Leon Wood, but passed on Stockton and Kevin Willis. However, Pat Williams was still a wiz.

If Ed just controls the money intelligently, doesn't trade ist round picks away and signs the proper free agents, Tony Di Leo will take care of the talent for the 76ers. Wait till you cross the bridge before you jump in the river. :lol: :o :D :)
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,873

Post#12 » by Stanford » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:18 am

Antoine Wright over Granger was a bad pick though. And that's not hindsight
psykosacul
Head Coach

Post#13 » by psykosacul » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:19 am

Stanford wrote:Not to mention Josh Boone

if you keep making jokes so obscure that only jem and dabods could understand youre never going to get laughs. you gotta play to the masses a little bit man. you dont want to be under appreciated in your time aye.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#14 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:23 am

2003 #22 Zoran Planinic over Josh Howard, Kendric Perkins, and Leandro Barbosa? Not only did he MISS BIG TIME on that pick but just like with 2005 and 2004 he selected players that aren't even NBA caliber bench players. Planinic is no longer IN the NBA and Viktor Khryapa only played 9 games last season for the Bulls.
1st round BUST Viktor Khryapa
1st round BUST Zoran Planinic
1st round BUST Antoine Wright
All three were stefanski picks that no longer play for the Nets. He failed big time. He has trouble identifying NBA players. This is not good at all we can't afford to have players that we'll have to cut. Jason Kidd made them all look good out in NJ for so many years.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#15 » by corwin » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:27 am

Interesting thread that makes the case that Ed should not be making the final decision on the picks. DiLeo hit a home run last year & picked some pretty good talent with marginal picks like Lou Williams at #45 & Smith at #20. Hopefully Ed lets him make the call.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#16 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:31 am

psykosacul wrote:youre the one spinning man, thats my whole point. if you look at the whole picture instead of telling us the sky is falling you come up with interesting FACTS.

1. 2004: 13 out of 19 other teams drafted a lesser player than martin before the nets pick

2. 2005: 7 out of 14 other teams drafted a lesser player than granger before the nets pick

Okay, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop... Your post would have been complete if you cross referenced who those 13 teams in 2004 drafted in 2005 to see if they failed as miserably as Stefanski. Having a bad draft one year happens... But to CONTINUOUSLY draft players that are not of NBA quality IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM and I have clearly shown this is Stefanski's track record. Everyone is replying in this thread with only one shoe, drop the other one, show how a non championship caliber team without a franchise player can continuously draft players that are bounced out of the league or banished to the bench for being garbage and STILL manage to improve. :noway:
psykosacul
Head Coach

Post#17 » by psykosacul » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:00 am

SendEm wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Okay, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop... Your post would have been complete if you cross referenced who those 13 teams in 2004 drafted in 2005 to see if they failed as miserably as Stefanski. Having a bad draft one year happens... But to CONTINUOUSLY draft players that are not of NBA quality IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM and I have clearly shown this is Stefanski's track record.

dbodner wrote: Here are the nets 1st draft selections over the last 7 years:
#17, #22, #15, #22, #22, #24, #7

add 2000's draft and 6 of their 8 picks were in the late teens-mid 20s range. its not suprising that three of them turned out to be garbage. check out the history of the draft. everything after 10 is basically a crapshoot.

plus, you are still spinning because you have yet to acknowledge their successes... the r-jeff trade, martin at #1, krstic, and sean williams all seem to be quality moves.

by my count they had 3 bad drafts, 4 good ones, and one that is up in the air (2006). even if 2006 does turn out bad, that makes them 4/4.

.500 with those picks? id take that. so it doesnt seem to me that he "He CONSISTENTLY drafts horrendously."
"get that hippy crap out of here." - the standford standout
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#18 » by dbodner » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:12 am

Check out this team's draft history. They'll never win a CHIP:
Took: Tiago Splitter. Passed on: Carl Landry, Glen Davis
Took: Ian Mahinmi. Passed on: David Lee, Brandon Bass, Monta Ellis, Louis Williams, Andray Blatche
Took: John Salmons (traded for Speedy Claxton). Passed on: Roger Mason, Dan Gadzuric, Carlos Boozer, Ronald Murray, Matt Barnes, Darius Songaila.
Took: Chris Carrawell. Passed on: Michael Redd
Took: Felipe Lopez. Passed on: Al Harrington, Nazr Mohammed, Rashard Lewis, Rafer Alston, Cuttino Mobley

Taking Mahinmi, Claxton, Carrawell and Lopez when you could have had Monta Ellis, Carlos Boozer, Michael Redd and Rashard Lewis?

:o

God, they should be fired. What abysmal drafts. It's obvious they have no idea what they're doing. Just continuously screwing up the draft. What a horrible track record!

This game's fun.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#19 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:40 am

damn you and your logic, damn you.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#20 » by LieCheatSteal » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:16 pm

The draft's a crap shoot. You can do all the homework you want but in the end, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

Look at the 2000 draft. The best player in that draft, Michael Redd, was taken 43rd. In hindsight, he should have been taken number 1.

BTW, that was probably the worst draft EVER.
Two years from being two years away.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers