ImageImageImage

Ed Stefanski's Draft Track Record

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

noone
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#41 » by noone » Tue Jun 3, 2008 8:10 pm

I think people (sendem) are overvaluing the GM's role in determining the draft selection. Sure the final decision comes from the GM, but those decisions are heavily based on the reports provided by the scouting team. The worse the scouting team, the less likely the GM will hit on a big time player. It's as simple as that. And I think the Sixers have shown time and again that we have a superior scouting team which will put our GM in the best position possible to make the correct selection for the team. And in terms of drafting, personally, I don't think we'll see any drop off from King to Stefanski.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#42 » by UptownPhilly » Tue Jun 3, 2008 8:30 pm

barkley34 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Every GM drafts busts at some point. Your hero Joe Dumars drafted Rodney White with the 9th pick when RJ and Joe Johnson were still on the board. He also passed on Melo, Wade & Bosh to take Darko with the 2nd pick.

I remember that draft night. :nonono:

At least Detroit was able to win a championship that year though.
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#43 » by Sandalf42 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 8:36 pm

Thorn has gone on record for giving Ed his props for doing the drafting and making the trades.

Of course he did. Still doesn't mean anything. Point is Rod Thorn makes the decisions with Ed's input. Not the other way around.
Micheal:.... I mean, you wouldn't arrest a guy who just deals drugs from one person to another.
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#44 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 3, 2008 9:52 pm

noone wrote:I think people (sendem) are overvaluing the GM's role in determining the draft selection. Sure the final decision comes from the GM, but those decisions are heavily based on the reports provided by the scouting team. The worse the scouting team, the less likely the GM will hit on a big time player. It's as simple as that. And I think the Sixers have shown time and again that we have a superior scouting team which will put our GM in the best position possible to make the correct selection for the team. And in terms of drafting, personally, I don't think we'll see any drop off from King to Stefanski.

What Sixers team have you been watching? We have shown time and time again to have a superior scouting team? well show me how this is possible taking the last 20 years worth of NBA drafts into account?

Oh yeah, Ed Stefanski has a terrible track record of drafting NBA players. The media said that he had a good one, you believed it, I debunked it, but you STILL believe? :noway: Ed hasn't drafted one single quality starter that anyone wants anything to do with. Bust after bust after bust....
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#45 » by dbodner » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:04 pm

I still haven't seen a response to my post on the spurs drafting skills.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#46 » by The Sixer Fixer » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:05 pm

Of course it's easy for Ed to make this claim after he has seen the result, but it's worth noting anyhow...

http://netsdaily.com/blog/?p=329

He also revealed that the team
SendEm
Banned User

Post#47 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:34 pm

This is the first time that I've seen that article. Ed wants credit for "trying" to acquire a 2nd round draft pick to acquire Monta Ellis in a year where he selected a player #15 in the first round that couldn't carry Monta's jock strap even with the help of a hand truck. I see already that he is going to be known as "Fast" Eddie Stefanski. He may be a Philly guy but Philly will not accept this sort of thing where he admits to the public that he "tried" to make a great move but didn't get it done, ESPECIALLY when he STILL could have pulled the trigger on the move at a perceived higher cost that in retrospect wasn't even a cost high enough.

Ellis turned out to be a top 4 player out of the draft and he's still only 22yrs but Ed decided to draft a guy in the first round that is on his way out of the league? Then Stefanski with his second round pick MISSED on other players that year, he selected Mile Ilić with #43rd pick over Lou Williams, Andray Blatche, Ryan Gomes, and Amir Johnson. What's his explanation for that? Stefanski is terrible.
noone
Analyst

Post#48 » by noone » Tue Jun 3, 2008 10:57 pm

SendEm wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What Sixers team have you been watching? We have shown time and time again to have a superior scouting team? well show me how this is possible taking the last 20 years worth of NBA drafts into account?

I'm not talking about the last 20 years of NBA drafts. Lately, the Sixers have probably had more success in the draft considering their draft position (I know you're gonna screw that one up) than any other team in the league. If not the tops, they're definitely up there.

Oh yeah, Ed Stefanski has a terrible track record of drafting NBA players. The media said that he had a good one, you believed it, I debunked it, but you STILL believe? :noway: Ed hasn't drafted one single quality starter that anyone wants anything to do with. Bust after bust after bust....

Like I said before, I (dis)credit the scouting team for players that are drafted far more than I do the GM. That means that the horrible (or so you say) job NJ has done is more of a bearing on their scouts than their GM.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#49 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 3, 2008 11:01 pm

noone wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Like I said before, I (dis)credit the scouting team for players that are drafted far more than I do the GM. That means that the horrible (or so you say) job NJ has done is more of a bearing on their scouts than their GM.

Who hires the scouts? Who manages the scouting department? Who makes the final call on the player selected?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#50 » by Mik317 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 11:51 pm

Jesus tapdancing Christ.................

is there anyone in this franchise you haven't insulted and wanted to be traded or fired?

Ed hasn't even been here for a year and he hasn't even made a pick for US...............You are a negative person, you make yourself worry about sheet that hasn't even happened.

OMG IGGY's OVERPAYED!!!!!!!
OMG LOU WON"t EVER GET BETTER!!!!!!!!
OMG ED WILL DRAFT A BUST!!!!!

even if Ed is a bad drafter, hell he still has been better than we have excluding Thad.

come dee fock down and quit making these **** ass threads.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
noone
Analyst

Post#51 » by noone » Wed Jun 4, 2008 12:49 am

SendEm wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Who hires the scouts? Who manages the scouting department? Who makes the final call on the player selected?

Well good luck researching all that and proving Stefanski is to blame for the scouts they have.

Until then, as far as I'm concerned, the scouts we have right now, regardless of who hired them, have done a hell of a job, and there's no reason to believe now that Stefanski is here, they won't continue to do as good of a job.
Ca
Pro Prospect
And1: 169

Post#52 » by Ca » Wed Jun 4, 2008 6:05 pm

Hahahah, the picks were #17, #22, #15, #22, #22, #24, #7.

As mentioned (but never responded to) The Nets did have a perchant of drafting international players that may or may not pan out. Illic, Planinic, Kristic. It's good business, if they stink they can just keep them overseas. PLUS, you're looking at ONE lottery pick in 7 years. Someone was doing something marginally right.

Michael Redd shouldn't be in the discussion as he was a 2nd rounder, and EVERYONE had a chance at him.
Same with Ellis.

By the later portions of the first round it's an absolute crapshoot. And for a team picking late, meaning they were good or atleast up and coming (i'm pretty sure they made it to some finals hahah) they drafted on need not BPA. Josh Howard would have been redundant on a team with an up and coming Richard Jefferson.

It's easy to look back with these kind of glasses, but if you want to snag great players without consequences you can always turn on the fantasy draft mode in nba 2k8.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#53 » by SendEm » Wed Jun 4, 2008 6:17 pm

Evan Eschmeyer
Kenyon Martin
Eddie Griffin
Nenad Krstić
Tamar Slay
Zoran Planinić
Kyle Korver
Viktor Khryapa
Christian Drejer
Antoine Wright
Mile Ilić
Marcus Williams
Josh Boone
Hassan Adams
Sean Williams

This is the track record of the guy that we have building our franchise?
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by dbodner » Wed Jun 4, 2008 6:20 pm

You continually list Eddie Griffin rather than Richard Jefferson even after it's been explained to you why that's invalid, but it makes your point look better so you do it. You're also ignoring where these players have been drafted. As I previously showed (which you never responded to), nobody drafting in the mid-20's has a perfect track record, as the spurs have very evidently shown.

If you're going to continue to make the same post, then this thread has run its course.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Ca
Pro Prospect
And1: 169

Post#55 » by Ca » Wed Jun 4, 2008 6:36 pm

Is it even worth doing this, since you're just going to continue being a knucklehead and ignoring circumstance?

Evan Eschmeyer (34th pick, 2nd round. If you're pointing to Ginobili, get real. He had a buyout and wouldn't come over for a couple of years. Every team but 1 passed on him, because they could afford to.)
Kenyon Martin (Best player not named Michael Redd who wasn't picked until 42!!! Picks later, part of their 2002, 2003 finals runs)
Eddie Griffin (Flipped for Richard Jefferson, another cog in two finals runs)
Nenad Krstić (picked 24th! a legit starting big at that pick is great drafting)
Tamar Slay (54th pick in the draft. This is a joke, right?)
Zoran Planinić (European prospect, they were A FINALS TEAM, trying to fill a backup pg/sg need also the 22nd pick when the players picked after would be redundant. With the exception of Barbosa who was just as much as a crapshoot. An unknown Brazillian PG, get the hell out of here.)
Kyle Korver (Flipped for cash)
Viktor Khryapa (22nd pick. You're asking about that Kevin Martin guy? That's a late first rounder that may or may not pan out, plus they later traded for Vince Carter to fill the void anyway. in December of 2004.)
Christian Drejer (Was HIGHLY HIGHLY touted during his time at florida, took a 2nd round flyer on a prospect.)
Antoine Wright (Considered a Solid 2 guard in a medicore draft. Danny Granger would have been a better pick, but did they even work him out? He was slated to go much higher)
Mile Ilić ( the 43rd pick of the 2005 draft? really? He is those no risk all reward players. He doesn't even HAVE to be on the roster)
Marcus Williams ( LATE FIRST Value pick, his court vision was thought to be unheard of that late in the draft)
Josh Boone ( Good size with a late pick)
Hassan Adams (Another joke, with another 2nd round pick.)
Sean Williams (Great pick at 17. Legit big with good shotblocking)

I guess it's his fault he missed out on so many 2nd round gems that every other team missed out on in the first round?

That track record isn't bad at all especially considering the late nature of most of the picks. The worst one was probably Antoine Wright, but honestly, you can't win them all.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#56 » by SendEm » Wed Jun 4, 2008 7:01 pm

Everything that Stefanski drafted turned into garbage. It's like if he drafts the player, the player will be out of the league, be a bench player, or become a player dangled in trades. He has yet to get it right. All that time spent in Jersey and not one single draft pick have they developed into a quality starter. No Samual Dalembert on that entire Nets roster. You can't win an NBA championship without developing a quality player that you drafted.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by dbodner » Wed Jun 4, 2008 7:05 pm

Yeah. Richard Jefferson, Kenyon Martin, Sean Williams. Pure garbage. I don't think they started a game during their time as a net.

(Kenyon Martin, while in New Jersey, was a very effective player that was a key kog, along with Richard Jefferson, in a team that appeared in 2 finals).

Saying something over and over doesn't make it true.
STChaser
Starter

Post#58 » by STChaser » Wed Jun 4, 2008 7:09 pm

How do we even know it was Stefanski who was drafting these guys?

STChaser
SendEm
Banned User

Post#59 » by SendEm » Wed Jun 4, 2008 7:37 pm

Jason Kidd made that franchise work. He covered up the ineptness of that front office for so many years. Once his skills diminished that franchise went in the toilet. They had developed no talent throughout all of those years. They just surrounded Kidd with young athletes while he was already in the prime of his career and he made that team contend. What did the Nets get for Kenyon Martin again? He was an All Star back then...
SendEm
Banned User

Post#60 » by SendEm » Wed Jun 4, 2008 7:40 pm

STChaser wrote:How do we even know it was Stefanski who was drafting these guys?

STChaser

Rod Thorn said so.
But without a shadow of a doubt "Fast" Eddie was the GM from 2004-2007 so he then officially had the final say who was drafted. Before that he was the head of scouting. It seems to me that Stefanski might have talked his way up the latter...

Return to Philadelphia 76ers