ImageImageImage

If Interviews Are Worth Anything

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

STChaser
Starter
And1: 0

If Interviews Are Worth Anything 

Post#1 » by STChaser » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:45 pm

If interviews are worth anything, I'm switching my pick for us at 16 from Speights to Donte Green. Speights just doesn't seem to have the "it" factor from what I can tell. He comes off passive, unconfident, and doesn't really articulate well. Maybe he's just nervous, etc. but he doesn't strike me as a real competitor.

On the other hand Donte comes off like a punk - a little full of himself. Which is precisely the attitude I want in our next PF. He looks like the kind of player who doesn't like to be shown-up. Reminds me of Amare for some reason. Anyway, I know many complain about his 6'9 height not being legit and several here have him pegged as more of a SF. But on the flip-side of that argument, we were playing 6'8 Thaddeus at PF for most of last season and imagine just how fluid this offense would be with Iguodala, Thaddeus, and Donte in the lineup. And while I know the ideal PF would have 6'10 size, remember that most of us here have been clamoring to get Elton Brand, who's listed at only 6'8. And recall how well 6'7 Jason Maxiell played at the 4. There is no reason to believe that Donte won't add bulk either, as he definitely has an NBA frame. Anyway, curious what your thoughts are after watching the interviews;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIf9aQtM ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWyBwwZ8 ... re=related

versus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPApuaeewIQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ybWHZccY0
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: If Interviews Are Worth Anything 

Post#2 » by SendEm » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:00 pm

STFchaser people around the internet are upgrading from just judging a player's "height." They are now using a combination of standing reach and vertical leap. I suggest that you also do the same. Compare Greene's measurables in those areas to the players you listed above and also throw in names like Dwight Howard, Bynum, Josh Smith, Kevin Durant, Boozer etc.
tanman636
Junior

Post#3 » by tanman636 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 am

Donte Green would be a great pick. I'd love to see him playing for us.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#4 » by 83SixersRocked » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:53 am

I wouldnt put much stock in the interviews. Different situations. I wouldnt want to hire a CEO because he was really really good at basketball as much as I wouldnt want a basketball player just because he loves the camera. Some people run their mouths (aka Starbury), and some dont.

I'm with you on needing an attitude; physically aggressive, yes; 'punk', no.
STChaser
Starter

Post#5 » by STChaser » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 am

Ideally, Stephanski could get us a higher pick and keep our pick at 16. I'd take Donte Green and JaValle McGee, making us something of an Orlando clone - two athletic forwards in Thaddeus and Donte with a 7 footer in McGee backing them up. Given, these guys would need time to acclimate to the NBA game but I still think it would make for some exciting and competitive basketball.

Turkoglu - Donte Green
Lewis - Thaddeus
Howard - McGee / Sam
Evans - Iguodala
Nelson - Lou / Miller

STChaser
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#6 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:07 am

Id still rather have speights but Greene is my #2 option...i think he has tremendous upside
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#7 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:02 am

You can never tell anything from interviews. Some people come off in interviews as being half-asleep and when they get on a court they turn into animals.

I care about what you do on the court, and that is pretty much it. If I were an NBA GM, I don't think an interview would ever sway my opinion of a player one way or another unless they pulled out a needle and shot up drugs as we were talking.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#8 » by dbodner » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Anyone who is looking to draft Greene as a future PF for this team I really question whether they watched him play last year.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Carmelo Anthony
Analyst

Post#9 » by Carmelo Anthony » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Donte Greene is not a Power Forward... He could be someday with a lot of work.

As the founding member of the bring Donte Greene to Philly club It's no surprise that I want him here. He may have disapointed in the predraft camp when it came to measurements but that really doesn't matter to me. Despite what a lot of people think, he has a great work ethic and is willing to learn. He was forced into a role here that he wasn't ready for, super talented or not he wasn't supposed to be our go to guy or be expected to carry the team. With the 16th pick if he's there I think it's worth the gamble.
Walk the city lonely
Memories that haunt are passing by
A murderer walks your streets tonight
Forgive me for my crimes;don't forget that I was so young
Fought so scared in the name of God and Country
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#10 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:29 pm

dbodner wrote:Anyone who is looking to draft Greene as a future PF for this team I really question whether they watched him play last year.

No one ever thought a tooth pick like Rashard Lewis could play PF. Same thing with Shawn Marion. Granted they can't defend bigger post guys, but at the same time big post guys can't guard guys like them.

I'm not saying I see Greene as a PF (I don't see him as one right now), but I don't think it's quite fair to evaluate a 19 yr old kid and say he can't someday play the PF spot. No one knows if he will add another 15-20 lbs to his frame over the next few years or not. He has the height to play there, but not the width....very similar to guys like KG and Bosh when they came in the league. I remember a lot of people questioning the position that they would play at the NBA level since they were so skinny. Same thing with J. O'Neal to a certain extend.

If you are looking for the traditional back to the basket bruising PF, I would agree that Greene isn't likely to become that guy, but I see no reason why he can't play there like Rashard Lewis did.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#11 » by Skates » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:52 pm

I think the team interviews that we are not generally privy to do have some impact on where a potentail draftee is picked. Just like any job application process the interview is one part of a larger review of qualifications and potential. IIRC the Sixers, and the Nets according to Stefanski, were both very impressed with the way Thad came off in his interviews, very strong minded, confident and intelligent. Surely interviews can be misleading in some cases, but they have their place in the pre-draft process. As far as press interviews I agree that unless the interviewee comes off horribly crazy or pulls a Josh Howard-type interview, all you are seeing is how well they have learned their cliches so far and nothing more.

As far as Green goes my understanding is that teams view him as a combo-forward, but even he calls himself a SF. In any case he is definitely a prospect because of his perimeter shooting ability, not his post-up/inside game.
STChaser
Starter

Post#12 » by STChaser » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:07 pm

So could Thaddeus and Donte coexist or are they too similar? How would adding Donte affect our team? So many of us have craved for Josh Smith and yet it appears to me that Smith and Donte aren't that much different. Why not take a shot at a much cheaper Donte and see how he fits into the mix with he and Thaddeus - and hopefully Herbert Hill, sharing time at the 4?

I know we need a solid PF.... or a solid 5. I used to think we needed the girth at the 4 but if Green is the best player available and can be used at the 3 and 4, then I think we should shift our attention to getting that big body at the 5 instead - for example JaValle McGee. Point being, we need at least one frontcourt player who is able to match up against the Maxiells and Bynums in this league. Sam doesn't have the width or lower body strength to pull it off. However, a guy like McGee could potentially be the answer.

So again, if I'm Stephanski, I'm trying to acquire another pick in the 12-15 range and still hold onto our 16th. That could very well net us both Green and McGee. Future lineup:

PG: Miller, Lou Williams
SG: Iguodala, Carney
SF: Thaddeus, Donte
PF: Donte, Herbert, Thaddeus
C: Sam, JaValle, Jason Smith

The one thing this lineup still lacks is outside shooters. I've read that Donte can hit the NBA 3 as can Lou, and Iguodala - but none of them are spectacular at it. Guys like JR Smith or Ben Gordon would probably be ideal but if we could somehow acquire an Eddie House type for less, I'd say go for it. Maybe try to get a second round pick and take someone who's known for hitting 3's - like we did when we acquired Korver from NJ some years back.

STChaser
STChaser
Starter

Post#13 » by STChaser » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:16 pm

Found this article coincidentally: http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/appman ... ws_2211012

Sixers vice president Tony DiLeo wouldn’t declare Greene the best, but left no doubt the 6-11 forward is an intriguing prospect. The Sixers will pick 16th in the June 26 draft.
“We see that he can play both positions,” DiLeo said. “We like versatile players and with the way the NBA is going, especially with our team playing more up-tempo, he can play both the three and the four spot. He reminds us a little bit of a Rashard Lewis that can play both spots, hit an outside shot, stretch the defense. We think eventually in the NBA he’ll be able to play both spots.”

Greene also loves the long ball. He set a school freshman record for made 3-pointers with 90 in 261 attempts.
“I was just talking to Coach (Maurice) Cheeks and he was saying (the Sixers) were 30th in the league in 3-point shooting,” Greene said. “I’d definitely come in here and try to get that number up. Definitely shooting, rebounding and blocking shots, that’s my game.”
And shooting is definitely one of the Sixers’ needs.
“He’s a very skilled offensive player,” DiLeo said. “He’s just a freshman, like most of the kids in the draft, a young player, very skilled offensive player, (who) can really shoot the ball. He’s a big-time offensive talent.”
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#14 » by corwin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:09 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:Id still rather have speights but Greene is my #2 option...i think he has tremendous upside

You were right last year with Thad Young.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by dbodner » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:19 pm

No one ever thought a tooth pick like Rashard Lewis could play PF. Same thing with Shawn Marion. Granted they can't defend bigger post guys, but at the same time big post guys can't guard guys like them.

Are we talking about full time, or spot minutes? I think Greene can probably play a limited role at PF, but I wouldn't look to him to be our PF of the future. Defense and rebounding would suffer too much.

(I also wouldn't use Rashard as more than a PT pf either, and he never was before this year).
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#16 » by tk76 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Lets just assume that Green develops into a Lewis type F (a BIG if) and Young continues to develop into an inside threat at F (very likely.)

I could see a combo of Iguodala,Thad and Green at SG/SF/PF would be quite an impressive line-up in terms of running and trapping/switching. All three can guard multiple positions and are long. It would make for a more athletic (but worse shooting) versiion of what Orlando does.

The problem is that you need a real force at center if you go that small up front. Sam has his good qualities, but no one ever confused him for Shaq or D. Howard.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by dbodner » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:47 pm

The problem is that you need a real force at center if you go that small up front. Sam has his good qualities, but no one ever confused him for Shaq or D. Howard.

Yes. That team works because of Howard. For all the offensive talents Lewis and Hedo have, without Howard commanding attention down low (and grabbing rebounds), that team wouldn't be successful). If we had that player Greene could complement down low, I'd be more open to him splitting time at the 4.
STChaser
Starter

Post#18 » by STChaser » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:01 pm

Well that's the reason I said I think Stephanski needs to get another pick and pick up McGee. Not saying he's destined to turn into a D Howard but I like his chances a lot more than I like Sam's.

STChaser
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#19 » by tk76 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:10 pm

STChaser wrote:Well that's the reason I said I think Stephanski needs to get another pick and pick up McGee. Not saying he's destined to turn into a D Howard but I like his chances a lot more than I like Sam's.

STChaser

I think MaGee could end up a better offensive player than Sam, but I do not see him better on defense than Sam.

Read this scathing commentary on Magee's lack of defensive skill and general disinterest toward defense:
http://realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/17 ... of_nevada/
McGee will be one of the worst defenders in the NBA initially and be the bane of his coach’s existence on that side of the ball.

His knees are too locked with his defensive stance, and he gets lower by crouching over instead of merely bending his knees.

He doesn’t work hard to deny the post and doesn’t really care about giving up points, wanting to get back to the offensive side.

Categorically, he is a lazy defender at the moment, is slow on help defense, and doesn’t get all the way back sometimes, and lets penetrating guards get to the basket.

He enjoys blocking shots and is long enough to be effective, but he won’t be able to pad his block totals like he did playing against 6-5 power forwards from Idaho. He also buys on average shot fakes, leaving his feet and opening lanes to the basket.

Perhaps most importantly in terms of shotblocking is that he doesn’t protect the rim. He doesn’t take pride in owning the rim he defends, where he should outright refuse to allow easy buckets.

No doubt he has the tools to be a Camby like defender- but having the tools ins not everything. Sam has always been a good shot blocker and defender 9if not fundamentally sound.) I'm not as confident about Magee's defensive credentials.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#20 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:13 pm

dbodner wrote:

Are we talking about full time, or spot minutes? I think Greene can probably play a limited role at PF, but I wouldn't look to him to be our PF of the future. Defense and rebounding would suffer too much.

(I also wouldn't use Rashard as more than a PT pf either, and he never was before this year).

In the right system (up-tempo), if he bulked up to the 235-240 lb range, I see no reason why he can't develop into a mostly full-time PF. Again, right now he's a SF, that's clear, I won't argue it. Point is, no one here can say with absolute certaity that he can't play PF in 2-3 years. And you sure can't go based on the way he was used in college. I'm sure an NBA team will force him to play more down low (if they see him as a combo F). He was given free range to stand on the perimeter and just shoot jumpers in college. In order to make it in the league, he will need to round out his game more. For the most part, the quick versatile PF is becomming much more the norm in the league. Marion, Lewis, Josh Smith, Odom, Gerald Wallace, Tyrus Thomas, Gooden, Granger (about half the time at PF), Al Thornton, Villanueva, Diaw, Bosh, etc. None of these guys would qualify as a traditional PF in my book (based on size/skills). Bosh is the closest thing based on his height, but he's not exactly a bruiser. He spends a lot of time just shooting mid-range jumpers.

Sure you have the old school PF's like Duncan, Boozer, Randolph, KG, Sheed, Brand, Jefferson and Aldridge, but there's more teams going with the combo forwards than ever before. Even some of those "traditional PF's" are guys who shoot a lot of mid range shots (Brand, Boozer are 2 for sure). Also, factor in that you worry about D with a combo F playing PF, but looking at that list above... Randolph, Boozer and Jefferson would quilfy as below average defenders IMO. I would rahter have Marion or Josh Smith defending the post against PF's than any of those 3 guys.

You may say Lewis isn't a great example since you would not want him playing more than spot minutes at PF, but the fact is he outplayed the opposing player most nights at that spot. Sure last year was his only year playing full-time at PF, but that does that matter. Did he show he was getting abused out there on D? No! On offesne, he's a matchup nightmare vs. some of the slower PF's. The mismatch goes both ways and in the faster pace of the today's NBA, putting the smaller guy on the floor usually give you an advantage and forces the other team to match you with speed. It also pulls that PF out from the post and opens things up for guards/SF who can penetrate the lane. There are exceptions like the Spurs who would not take out Duncan, but that mainly because his game is so well rounded that he can compensate for playing a quicker player. There's only a handfull of tranditional PF's who I think fall into that category (KG, Duncan and Brand). Most other guys will get burned by facing a quick PF (or one that can pull you out to the 3 pt line).

I know it sounds like I'm arguing FOR Greene as a PF here, but that's not really the case. What I'm saying is I think it's unfair to say a kid this young, who is still developing, can't become something just based on how people evaluate his game today. No one here knows if Greene will add weight, post moves, etc. All they see is he shot a lot of 3's in college so they assume that's all he will do in the NBA. I watched Greene play a few time early in the season and he was much more balanced playing inside and out. Towards the 2nd half of the season, he just stood there at the 3 pt line holding his hands out in anticipation of a pass so he could jack another 3. I'm guessing it could have been a sign that physically he may have worn down and didn't want to bang around down low. I'm sure it's a big jump physically going from playing H.S. basketball to playing in the Big East. There's no question it will take him some time to mature physically.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers