ImageImageImage

If Interviews Are Worth Anything

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

STChaser
Starter
And1: 0

Re: If Interviews Are Worth Anything 

Post#41 » by STChaser » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Sendem, your philosophy on building a team leaves much to be desired. What is the point of drafting redundant pieces? There is no point in having a plethora of guards or wing players while you let a gaping hole at the 4 remain wide open. You saw how that affected us against Detroit - with no PF on this team who possesses a back-to-the-basket game, we had no half court game. And likewise, when detroit slowed things down and played their half court game, we had no answer. We had no forwards who could match up with Maxiell or McDyes. I like Sam as much as the next guy but he can't do it alone - and he can't do it at all against thicker front court players who outweight him by 50+ lbs. This team either needs a solid PF with post moves or a SF/PF tweener like Greene backed by a solid 5 with post moves. What we don't need is another PG/SG combo.

Your theory is great IF their was a Kobe Bryant in this year's draft who slipped to 16. But that doesn't appear to be the case. In our range of picks, there is no one in this draft that is that incredible as to warrant taking talent over need unless you deem Nicolas Batum a potential superstar. There are enough PF's within our range to select the best one available and go from there. Yes, I'd be pissed if we would up taking another guard regardless of his talent level. As far as I'm concerned, I'm plenty happy with Lou William's progress.

STChaser
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#42 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

STChaser, Kenny WHO? :o

The Sixer Fixer I honestly think that you have the wrong approach to the draft considering where the Sixers are selecting and what they did last season. You want to swing for the fences with two outs and no runners on base. The Sixers CAN NOT afford to draft a bust or someone who can't contribute for several years with the hopes that they get some sort of franchise player at 16. This 16th pick HAS to be a Sixer player for years to come. The talent base here is just far too low to have this draft 3 years from now seen seen as a bust that was the result of keeping Andre Miller on the team far too long. We already don't have a player like Al Horford or Durant on our team because of Miller, we can't afford to draft a high risk/high reward player because of Miller's artificial improvement of our team. If Miller were 24 years old then I would swing for the fences, but he's what 32? And on the last year of a deal. :noway: Unless we can turn our salary cap into a player with an accumulative effect on our record as good as what Miller's has been then it is best to just get a legimate NBA player out of THIS draft THAT CAN DEVELOP SOME TRADE VALUE because most likely we will be in the lottery again in a couple of seasons without that sort of "Andre Miller" player. We just can't look back on this draft as a complete failure or question mark like Nets fans can do on most of the Stefanski drafts...

Also I have been watching basketball too long not to see that Hibbert is clearly athletic enough to play at the pace of CHAMPIONSHIP basketball. He's more skilled than Greg Ostertag ever was. :rofl:
I don't even see why Ostertag name would come up in comparison to this player. Is it because Utah wants him and Ostertag played there? There have been millions of centers to play in the NBA, why not a Mike Gminski comparison, Bill Cartwright, Matt Geiger or Ronny Seikaly? Come on you're better than that. Aren't you? :noway:
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#43 » by tk76 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:04 pm

SendEm wrote:why not a Mike Gminski comparison, Bill Cartwright, Matt Geiger or Ronny Seikaly? Come on you're better than that. Aren't you? :noway:

I agree with you that Hibbert is much more skilled than Ostertag.

However, other than Cartright, the other players you listed where much more explosive and athletic than Hibbert. Hibbert is the very definition of plodding. He is skilled, and will be a servicable to good back-up center as long as he is healthy- but he lacks the quickness to ever be anything more than a marginal starting center.

There have been very good plodding centers (Ilgaskas and Sabones jumpt to mind), but I don't think Hibbert, skilled as he is, approaches that level.
wow444
Junior
And1: 2

Post#44 » by wow444 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:05 pm

STChaser wrote:Found this article coincidentally: http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/appman ... ws_2211012

Sixers vice president Tony DiLeo wouldn’t declare Greene the best, but left no doubt the 6-11 forward is an intriguing prospect. The Sixers will pick 16th in the June 26 draft.
“We see that he can play both positions,” DiLeo said. “We like versatile players and with the way the NBA is going, especially with our team playing more up-tempo, he can play both the three and the four spot. He reminds us a little bit of a Rashard Lewis that can play both spots, hit an outside shot, stretch the defense. We think eventually in the NBA he’ll be able to play both spots.”

Greene also loves the long ball. He set a school freshman record for made 3-pointers with 90 in 261 attempts.
“I was just talking to Coach (Maurice) Cheeks and he was saying (the Sixers) were 30th in the league in 3-point shooting,” Greene said. “I’d definitely come in here and try to get that number up. Definitely shooting, rebounding and blocking shots, that’s my game.”

And shooting is definitely one of the Sixers’ needs.
“He’s a very skilled offensive player,” DiLeo said. “He’s just a freshman, like most of the kids in the draft, a young player, very skilled offensive player, (who) can really shoot the ball. He’s a big-time offensive talent.”

No Thanks
Don't worry, that builds character and you can never have too much character...
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#45 » by Skates » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:26 pm

The best comparison I can come up with for Hibbert is James Donaldson, although I think Donaldson was slightly more skilled and explosive than Hibbert. Roy will have a nice 10-12 year career as a big, journeyman center and will earn enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. The problem with Hibbert is that even with his skills he is Shawn Bradley slow in his movements.

The Sixers can pick for need, as Stefanski noted, becuase they need a lot of things. A starting or at least developmental PF, a developmental PG, a decent sized back-up center and shooters everywhere. There are no real PG prospects to speak of at 16, but there are plenty of guys that fit the other bills. About all we don't need are swing-men who can't shoot. Otherwise it's BPA and filling a need at the same time. This is a deep draft for solid NBA players, a few with obvious star potential and a number of high risk/high reward type guys. Last year had more guys with all-star potential, but this draft is deep in solid guys through the top of the second round.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#46 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Sendem, your philosophy on building a team leaves much to be desired. What is the point of drafting redundant pieces?

That's easy, we don't have enough talent. Also if the player is the BEST player available in the whole entire draft then he OR OTHER SIXERS become trade bait. Out of that 2005 NBA draft 2nd round pick Monta Ellis is now more valuable than first round picks SF/PF David Lee and Hakim Warrick. Both of those players along with maybe Maxiel would have possibly been talked about on this Sixer forum as potential players to fill our need at PF while Monta Ellis and Danny Granger are still on the board.

There is NOTHING redundant about talent because trades do exist in the NBA. It's just wrong when fans overrate the talent on their team. The Sixers have no legitimate starting shooting guard or starting shooting guard prospect. The Sixers have no legitimate starting PG after next season and moving forward. The Sixers have no legitimate PF. What the Sixers do have is a legitimate, although flawed, starting C and two developing potential star SF's in Thad and Iggy. The only prospect that the Sixers shouldn't draft is a SF that can't play perimeter SG. It's like who do you think would best fit the Sixers, a Rashard Lewis/Shawn Marion type or Rudy Gay/Danny Granger/Kevin Martin type? I already know that a NBA franchise has absolutely no shot at winning a championship with Marion and Lewis playing PF and since I REALLY believe in Thad I am going to draft the SF/SG prospect like Gay/Granger/Martin that can play SG for his career. You can't win a championship with 2 SF's in the frontcourt unless somehow there is a HOF talent somewhere on that team that is one of the best ever to play the game.

C. Dalembert
PF.????????
SF.Thad
SG.Iggy
PG.????????, Lou Williams

Iggy doesn't work at SG for his career and tall/quick SF's like Hedo, Tayshaun, and Lebron absolutely abuse his defense. A more important decision than drafting a PF prospect is getting rid of Iggy, starting Thad at SF and getting a SG,PF, or PG.
STChaser
Starter

Post#47 » by STChaser » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Wow,
there is nothing wrong with a SF/PF being able to hit the outside shot. Look at what Pierce has been able to do by having 3 point range. In fact, I wish Thaddeus had more range for that matter. I'm fine with Greene taking some 3's - so long as he's not doing it on a regular basis that's fine.

Sendem,
Kenny George is basically a larger (7'7), heavier (365 lbs) version of Hibbert - except we could probably get George in the late 2nd round. The guys would basically just take up space in the paint, rebound, and block shots - basically the same things we'd be asking Hibbert to do, except he wouldn't cost us our 16th pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jD1VyPHecc
SendEm
Banned User

Post#48 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:53 pm

STChaser wrote:Wow,
there is nothing wrong with a SF/PF being able to hit the outside shot. Look at what Pierce has been able to do by having 3 point range. In fact, I wish Thaddeus had more range for that matter. I'm fine with Greene taking some 3's - so long as he's not doing it on a regular basis that's fine.

Sendem,
Kenny George is basically a larger (7'7), heavier (365 lbs) version of Hibbert - except we could probably get George in the late 2nd round. The guys would basically just take up space in the paint, rebound, and block shots - basically the same things we'd be asking Hibbert to do, except he wouldn't cost us our 16th pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jD1VyPHecc

Are you calling Pierce a PF? I really hope not. when you put SF/PF that means an actual position not "SF or PF." Pierce is a SF/SG. There aren't many legitimate SF/PF's in the NBA. Odom and Marion are the only 2 that come to mind. In order, IN MY OPINION, to be classified as being able to play a position, a team would need to be able to insert the player at that position FOREVER and not just spot minutes or 2 weeks during the regular season until a player gets off of the injured list. But at the end of the day, teams that have those sorts of players that are playing out of position like Marion at PF always lose, because in the frontcourt bigger/stronger is better than quicker/faster.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#49 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Okay THAT Kenny George, the 7'7" guy that made Hansborough look like Shawn Kemp. I actually seen that dunk on sportscenter when it happened and couldn't stop laughing. :rofl: Your validity upon players has officially been revoked. Comparing Hibbert to THAT guy, please... :wavefinger:
STChaser
Starter

Post#50 » by STChaser » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:02 pm

C. Dalembert
PF.????????
SF.Thad
SG.Iggy
PG.????????, Lou Williams

C: Dalembert, ?
PF: ? , Evans, Hill
SF: Thaddeus, Iguodala
SG: Iguodala, Carney
PG: Lou Williams

So we need a PF and a true SG? Two suggestions that don't involve our long term core;

1) Trade Miller to Denver for their 20th, JR Smith, and maybe Nene.
2) Trade Miller and our 16th for Ben Gordon and Tyrus Thomas
3) I'd love to trade Iguodala straight up for Granger but that's not happening...

The problem with the first two scenarios is, while it gives us PF's and true SG's, it doesn't get rid of Iguodala. So we still have the logjam at SF and SG because Iggy is not going to want to come off the bench. IF JR Smith is ok with coming off the bench at SG, then there is no issue. New team after the Denver / Philly trade:

C: Sam, (our 16th pick), Jason Smith
PF: Nene, Evans (or use our 16th here to draft our future PF; perhaps Speights or Donte)
SF: Thaddeus
SG: Iggy, JR Smith
PG: Lou Williams

To be honest, I have absolutely NO problem starting Lou at the point. He's had more than one season now under Andre Miller to learn the position and is coached by one of the best PG's ever to play the game in Mo Cheeks. Physically, Lou has the tools to play the point and I can see him being similar to Rondo given some time to really assimilate his skills. Anyway, the above lineup takes care of a lot of issues; we have a REAL shooter in JR Smith, who can spread the floor, we have a solid PF in Nene, and we still have our 16th, which I'll now allow you to draft the best available player with if you'd like, Sendem. And while the loss of Miller will sting for some time, don't forget that Miller had issues trying to guard the quicker guards in this league or that this team played some of their best up-tempo games with Lou at the helm. I also haven't forgotten how Miller ran out of gas in the Detroit series....

STChaser
SendEm
Banned User

Post#51 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:24 pm

Kenny George over Hibbert, JR Smith, Nene, Lou Williams starting at PG, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

STchaser, what do you have against players that can actually play basketball? I'm at a lose for words with the kind of player that you like. It's like high risk/average reward or bust for you huh?

Nene?
STChaser
Starter

Post#52 » by STChaser » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:33 am

Lou Williams can certainly play basketball. He was clutch for us numerous times this season and would be playing more minutes if it weren't for Miller being here. JR Smith is a more than capable SG but he's stuck behind Iverson. Tyrus Thomas is a project who needs playing time but could go either way. Nene is better than anything we have at the 4 but is an injury risk. I'm not super high on him but I figured Denver wouldn't do the deal unless we took him. But yes, I am definitely the gambling time when it comes to taking chances on players. It's why I loved the Thaddeus pick last year and why I loved the Dalembert pick when that went down. I'm all about taking chances on young talent.

It's occurred to me that when it comes to free agency, players don't want to come here. Maybe it's the pressure of playing in Philly. Maybe it was Iverson. Maybe they'd all rather play on the West Coast where the weather is nicer. Maybe I'm wrong and the atmosphere has changed now that we've restructured our team. Whatever the case, the only way I see this team getting better is by taking chances via the draft. But I do think I know what kind of player you like; you seem to be more of the Larry Brown school of thought - trade youth and picks for veterans with high BB IQ. That worked for Danny Ainge but I like the path we've chosen. We may not win a title in the next 3 years but we haven't mortgaged our future away either - and we're fun to watch.

STChaser
SendEm
Banned User

Post#53 » by SendEm » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:17 am

"But I do think I know what kind of player you like; you seem to be more of the Larry Brown school of thought - trade youth and picks for veterans with high BB IQ."

Where is that evident? In that trade thread that I made that featured signing 22 year old Monta Ellis and essentially trading away Andre Miller to free up cap space to sign 24 year old Josh Childress, I also traded away Iggy for a lottery selection in order to pick 18 year old Anthony Randolph. Additionally I am in this thread suggesting that the Sixers select 21 year old Roy Hibbert. Again to recap the ages 22, 24, 18, and 21. But you believe that I like veteran players? Okay. :crazy:
Meanwhile you are suggesting trading for 25 year old NeNe who has blown out his knee and is currently playing on one testicle.

What it is that you don't understand is that I am NOT enamored with players that haven't proven that they can play efficient basketball smart basketball on any level. The NBA is not a video game where you can make Ben Gordon play how YOU want him to play and get 40 point games out of him on 60% shooting. The NBA is not a video game where you can make that 7'7" guy anymore than the walking embodiment of being posterized. The NBA is not fantasy basketball where having the best individual stats means that you win.

I swear that the basketball video game and fantasy basketball are the reasons why people believe that a player will somehow be able to change his approach to basketball just because his favorite team acquires him. If a guy couldn't play PG in Chicago then he won't be able to play PG in Philly. If he couldn't play defense for Scott Skiles then he can't play defense for Mo Cheeks. If a guy plays inefficiently at PG when coming off of the bench then he is going to stink if you make him a starter. If a guy gets posterized in college he will get posterized even more so in the NBA.

Everyone in the world has lost faith in Ben Gordon, NeNe and JR Smith but somehow just because they come to your favorite team they no longer will be the inefficient, no defense playing, injury prone, bad teammate, distractions that they are as a group?

I'm sorry to tell you but you do not have the "joystick" to a player's career where you can manipulate his abilities. He will AT LEAST continue to have the same deficiencies that you have seen from him on other NBA teams ESPECIALLY if he plays for a team that gave maximum effort and just didn't dog it as a franchise.
"Come on you're better than that" ~ Mark Jackson
STChaser
Starter

Post#54 » by STChaser » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:40 am

Sendem, I don't play video games and my acquisitions aren't nearly as bad as you've made them out to be. And for the record, I said we'd take Nene assuming he was a deal breaker. And isn't Anthony Randolph a SF? Why would you trade Iguodala away for a piece we already have in Thaddeus Young? Again, we NEED a PF who can move people under the rim. Randolph is not going to be that person. If you're watching tonight's game, you'll see the effect Glenn Davis and Perkins have when they're on Gasol versus Garnett, who doesn't have the girth to defend him well - just as you saw what happened when Sam tried to defend Maxiell or Sheed. Again, we NEED someone who's got some lower body strength. Do we at least agree on this?

STChaser
SendEm
Banned User

Post#55 » by SendEm » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:57 am

Now we're going in circles. I have already established that the Sixers DO NOT have to draft for need. If you believe that the Sixers have to draft for positional need then you have absolutely no idea how much Andre Miller hides the FACT that we have a small amount of talent. The Sixers NEED talent.

Also I personally believe that 6'10 Randolph can develop into a mismatch SG like Hedo and Durant in addition to being a potential franchise player one day. Also he is a shot blocker.
STChaser
Starter

Post#56 » by STChaser » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Now we're going in circles. I have already established that the Sixers DO NOT have to draft for need. If you believe that the Sixers have to draft for positional need then you have absolutely no idea how much Andre Miller hides the FACT that we have a small amount of talent. The Sixers NEED talent.

Miller hides some deficiencies but you're exaggerating his worth. As I already pointed out, he's got some major deficiencies of his own such as lack of range on his shot, lack of quickness against many of the faster guards, and conditioning.

Also I personally believe that 6'10 Randolph can develop into a mismatch SG like Hedo and Durant in addition to being a potential franchise player one day. Also he is a shot blocker.

Or he could turn into another Charlie Villanueva. You're taking quite a gamble on trading away our team captain for an unknown.

As for this team needing to draft talent, every team needs to draft talent. The point is we have more talent in some areas and less in others - and it's the weaker areas that we should be addressing first.

STChaser
STChaser
Starter

Post#57 » by STChaser » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:44 pm

I know I knocked him earlier for his interview skills but can anyone imagine just how great it would be if we got Speights and he did in fact turn out to be as good as Al Jefferson, who he's often been compared to. A 6'10 PF with post moves would make SUCH a difference for this team. Just imagine what we'd look like if Jefferson was paired next to Sam; imagine the rebounding, and Jefferson setting picks for Iguodala and Lou. Someone with the frame to set a real pick. And having both Thaddeus and Speights playing back-to-the basket on offense. It's almost too much to fathom....

Miller, Lou
Iguodala, Green,
Thaddeus, Carney
Speights, Evans
Sam, Speights, Smith

STChaser
SendEm
Banned User

Post#58 » by SendEm » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:54 pm

It's difficult to believe any comparison being made between Jefferson and Speights. I believe that jefferson would have completely dominated college basketball with 20 and 10 type numbers. Speights is 100% potential. He accomplished NOTHING in his two college seasons. Again, 2 college seasons. Didn't even start one of them. Al would have been in that starting lineup for the Gators even if Horford had to play SF.
Ca
Pro Prospect
And1: 169

Post#59 » by Ca » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:43 am

You "believe"

while on the other hand, Speights has a national championchip as a benchplayer
and 15 and 8 when he was a starter in a pretty tough SEC
yeah that's NOTHING hahahahahahahahahahahahha
SendEm
Banned User

Post#60 » by SendEm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:22 am

Ca wrote:You "believe"

while on the other hand, Speights has a national championchip as a benchplayer
and 15 and 8 when he was a starter in a pretty tough SEC
yeah that's NOTHING hahahahahahahahahahahahha

Even Kenny Thomas averaged 14.7 ppg 7.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists as a freshman. Speights sat the bench as a freshman. If Speights were any good he would have played more during that national championship season, instead he only played 5.7 minutes. 5.7 minutes per game truly makes you a champion. :bowdown: Speights couldn't even beat out Chris Richard for playing time :rofl:

So again, The Al Jefferson comparisons are completely unjustified.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers