ImageImageImage

Brandan Wright Available?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

steveb21
Pro Prospect
And1: 123

Brandan Wright Available? 

Post#1 » by steveb21 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:31 pm

I just read a little blurb on Hoopshype talking about how the Cavs could send Varejo and the #19 to GS for Brandan Wright. If that's all it takes then how about Reggie Evans and the #16?

I always thought GS was pressured into making that pick last year and he wasn't the guy they really wanted. I think he's a good young PF - probably better than anyone we could pick at #16. He'd also be a good fit with our up-tempo style.

Thoughts?
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Re: Brandan Wright Available? 

Post#2 » by SouthJersey » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Yea I would do that. I dont think GS wants to take back Salary, so someone like Carney or Smith might be a better option. If he is available Ed needs to step up and get him.
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by SendEm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:00 pm

I'd make that trade but Varejo holds more value than Evans because he can legitimately guard centers unlike Evans. Also I don't think that GS would give Brandan away like this unless they view him as a complete and total bust and/or a problem.

...Maybe GS sees a second player in the draft they want... :crazy:
76erinSJ
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by 76erinSJ » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:20 pm

I would rather keep Evans and the 16. Wright just doesnt seem like he'll be anything in this league.
Andre Miller is a bad 3pt shooter.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#5 » by corwin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:28 pm

GS is in terrible shape financially. They have something like $47 million tied up in 7 players & anticipate paying $18 - $20 million for Ellis & Biedrins (combined). This puts them dangerously close the the luxury tax, which their owner has never paid. They would like to move Jackson or Harrington. I'll bet if Ed uses his cap space to take one of those players, GS would probably give either Wright or pick #14 for free as part of the deal. Of course, I think Philly should make a run at Biedrins (RFA) & hope that Memphis makes a run at Ellis (RFA) & hope that GS lets them go.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#6 » by dbodner » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:32 pm

I would trade #16 for Wright. I think he's a better, more talented prospect than Speights, Arthur, or the like.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
SendEm
Banned User

Post#7 » by SendEm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Things like Golden State's bad cap management happen when you make a well known alcoholic your GM. :lol:
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#8 » by corwin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:19 pm

SendEm wrote:Things like Golden State's bad cap management happen when you make a well known alcoholic your GM. :lol:
True enough. Maybe we can take advantage of it. I am starting to think that Biedrins would look good in Philly.
PhenomThad31
Junior

Post#9 » by PhenomThad31 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:26 pm

nah, i think Wright is a huge bust. he didnt do **** last year. I rather hold onto 16 and take a chance on Speights, Arthur, or Green.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,868

Post#10 » by Stanford » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:33 pm

He's 20 years old and played well when he got minutes. He's still 10 times the prospect Speights, Arthur or Green are. Hell, other than Greene, the worst PF prospect of among them, he's the youngest of the four.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#11 » by SendEm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:05 pm

He's a high energy PF that can drive and shoot short jumpers. He could be very good one day. I don't think that he's a bust or will be one. His best position in the future is probably as a 6th man. He might one day be a Dennis Rodman that can score.
PhenomThad31
Junior

Post#12 » by PhenomThad31 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:24 pm

hes a bit too soft to start drawing the Worm comparisons. I wouldnt mind bringing him in if its not a big asking price because i dont see him as a potential all-star more of a good bench player. plus, dudes only 205 pounds. he needs to stop by pats if we acquire him.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#13 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:01 pm

This guy will be good in 2 years. He needs time to continue developing his body. But overall, he has a 7'4 wingspan, he can block shots with the best of em. He can rebound well because of great positioning and ability to jump through the roof. He has a GREAT offensive game, albeit unpolished, he can score from anywhere inside the arch. He can shoot well, and he is working on his pull up 3pt shot on fast breaks. He can get in the lane and score VERY well. I watched him at UNC for that one year, and I'm telling you, this kid is good. Smooth shot. Strong finisher. Dunks well. Etc. Etc.

I'd give up Reggie and the 16th for him anyday. And then I'd start him. Because the kid is a baller, and given time, he will prove to be one of the stars in the next 10 years. B-Wright next to Thad, Iggy, LW, and Daly looks good IMO.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Stanford » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14 pm

SendEm wrote:He might one day be a Dennis Rodman that can score.

So the best player in the NBA
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Stanford » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:18 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:This guy will be good in 2 years. He needs time to continue developing his body. But overall, he has a 7'4 wingspan, he can block shots with the best of em. He can rebound well because of great positioning and ability to jump through the roof. He has a GREAT offensive game, albeit unpolished, he can score from anywhere inside the arch. He can shoot well, and he is working on his pull up 3pt shot on fast breaks. He can get in the lane and score VERY well. I watched him at UNC for that one year, and I'm telling you, this kid is good. Smooth shot. Strong finisher. Dunks well. Etc. Etc.

I would have to agree with that. It does sound a little like hyperbole, but I too think he's that good
ahwi_quacoe
Senior
And1: 3

Post#16 » by ahwi_quacoe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Dennis Rodman was Dennis ROdman from the moment he entered the league. You don't just become Dennis ROdman overnight. Especially one that scores as well. What he did is a specialty skill . You can't do it all
SendEm
Banned User

Post#17 » by SendEm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Stanford wrote:

Why not? He's still only 20 with talent and incredible measurables. Rodman didn't enter the NBA until he was 25, and didn't average double figures in rebounds until he was 29 while never averaging a double double.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#18 » by dbodner » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:53 pm

SendEm wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Why not? He's still only 20 with talent and incredible measurables. Rodman didn't enter the NBA until he was 25, and didn't average double figures in rebounds until he was 29 while never averaging a double double.

Which just proves the point that they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYERS. Brandon Wright wasn't even a dominant rebounder in college (6.2 per game). To take a guy who has never been a double digit rebounder at the college or professional level, and who doesn't have the size to currently be a lock down defender at the 4, but who has more offensive talent than the worm ever dreamed of, and compare them, is a really, really bad comparison.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
SendEm
Banned User

Post#19 » by SendEm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 pm

ahwi_quacoe wrote:Dennis Rodman was Dennis ROdman from the moment he entered the league. You don't just become Dennis ROdman overnight. Especially one that scores as well. What he did is a specialty skill . You can't do it all

In all actuality we aren't even being fair to Brandan by comparing him to a player that was 22 years of age his freshman year in college. :lol: What was Brandan 19 his freshman year? He is 20 and ALREADY made it into the NBA while it took Rodman till he was 25. This guy has some talent he's just young and played for an old NBA coach that can ONLY coach players with perimeter skills. From what I've seen of Brandan he was just as deserving of playing time as Thad. In fact he scored on Thad a few times head to head. But again he was 20 this past season, he could be great in the not too distant future.
is1531
Banned User

Post#20 » by is1531 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:28 pm

76erinSJ wrote:I would rather keep Evans and the 16. Wright just doesnt seem like he'll be anything in this league.

I like the deal for GS. The Warriors would still hold picks 14 and 19 to pick up more size, possibly 2 players with size. This would finally allow the Warriors to have players that could give Biedrins the assistence he needs. Anderson Varejo can help the Warriors, who seem to thrive on offense.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers