ImageImageImage

FWIW

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Re: FWIW 

Post#21 » by The Sixer Fixer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:43 am

I was watching a recent interview with Gordon and it was real nice to hear him say he sees himself as a PG in the NBA. Most of these combo guards will not come out and say "I'm a PG". Gordon saying that gives me a lot more confidence that he can play it in the NBA (I was unsure how he looked at himself).

I really believe Gordon will be a star in the league no matter what position he plays. I have him as the #1 scorer out of this entire draft. He's the one guy you can clearly say has NBA range on his 3 pt shot already. Heck, many of his shots were from behind the NBA 3 pt line last year. If he can turn into a PG, he's probably the best fit for this team down the road (once Miller leaves). His strengths are our teams weakness (3 pt shooting and driving to the bucket). If you are going to pair Iguodala and Young together at the SG/SF spots, then your PG MUST be a prolific 3pt shooter (someone has to stretch the D). Get that dominant PF in FA or via trade in the next 2 years and you have a real nice looking team.

I'm just wonderng what we actually have to deal to move up to get Gordon. Do Carney, Green, Evans or Smith have much value? Does that future Utah pick have much value? I guess I could see the 16 and Utah's pick getting us up to about the 8-10 range. I doubt that Gordon is still on the board then, but if he is, I'd do it in a second.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#22 » by The Sixer Fixer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:53 am

PhenomThad31 wrote:I'm not so sure about that. Sixersfan1976 said that it had legs in one post and has been in multiple articles. I think it atleast has been discussed.

I don't take anything that poster has to say as being serious. At best, his "contact" is probably just a reporter (who you know you can't trust). I seriously doubt it's anyone in the organization who knows anything about Ed's real intentions.

Ed laughed off the Zach talk. I said it before - if there was any true interest there, it would have been easy for Ed to dance around it (when directly questioned on it) and give the standard GM speak type response. He came out and directly implied that it was just someone (probably a reporter) thinking Zach and Mo worked well together in Port, so based on that, they figured we could try to get him.

And the fact that it has been in multiple articles is EXACTLY my point. Those things are written by reporters (not anyone directly connected to the team) and just like us on this board, when someone writes something, we all re-report it and makes it sound like it's fact. Truth is 99% of what you real about players being traded, teams interest in guys, etc. is all just speculation from writers/analysts/etc. That's pretty much all those guys have to do this time of the year. Just make up stuff that they know people will be interested to read about. Some of them are logical ideas, but that still doesn't mean the teams are actually considering them.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#23 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:38 am

I think that the Sixers might be in talks with the Grizzlies. We all know how GM Chris Wallace sent Pao Gasol for nothing. They should easily do the same by packaging a bad contract+ the pick.

I think Darko Milicic as athletic as he is can make the transition to PF. At the very worst, he'll be like Dalembert offensively and will be a perfect cover defensively. It would be the twin towers lite with Daly and Darko.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#24 » by tk76 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:15 am

From what I have seen of E. Gordon, I think his upside is more like Arena (with the same odd shot selection) than B. Gordon. I don't know if he is the best fit on this team, but I do think he will be a prolific scorer.

Also- NBA players are all shorter than you think the are. Players are listed in shoes, and are often listed 1-2 inches taller than they are- so when you see this year's class measured the don't"measure up" to your expectations.

Look at the Historical measurements database at draft express. Guys I thought of a 7' like Sheed measured out as only 6'9. Even Dwight Howard and Okafor are 6'9 or under (with crazy long arms.)

Legit SF's like Iguodala and Caron Butler meaured out only 6'5.5
"Tall" PG's like Marbury and Baron are only 6'1-2.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... s=0&sort=2
Wildfire
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Wildfire » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:42 am

corwin wrote:Sorry guys, i just don't get the infatuation with Eric Gordon. The kid is 6'2" in his bare feet & all of the wingspan, standing reach, etc. can't compensate for that fact. I've also read over and over that he has no PG skills so we're talking about another undersized SG. At least Lou Williams at 6'0" has some PG skills & can play the PG position at times. I just don't see how this makes EricGordon a bit different from Ben Gordon. If you want that type of player offer $7 million per year for Ben Gordon. At least we don't have to discuss the positives about the cancer known as Zach Randolph & even remotely consider putting him on the team. Trading for Zach just to swap picks #6 & #16 is mismanagement of the highest order. I'll be in favor of firing Ed the day that happens. The honeymoon will be over.

Don't forget that our starting SG right now is a 6'3 Willie Green, he completely sucks and we STILL we're the 7th seed. Gordon is a much better shooter, on par slasher, much better on ball defender, and, most importantly, knows when to pass.

The Ben Gordon comparisons are off in my opinion, Ben has a very thin body while Eric is extremely built, kind of like Paul Pierce, he will muscle his way into the paint when necessary.

The only problem is, we then can't pick Speights (I've begun to watch watch tape and while he's a defensive liability, he knows how to score). We'll still be missing that inside presence.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#26 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:37 am

Wildfire wrote:
corwin wrote:Sorry guys, i just don't get the infatuation with Eric Gordon. The kid is 6'2" in his bare feet & all of the wingspan, standing reach, etc. can't compensate for that fact. I've also read over and over that he has no PG skills so we're talking about another undersized SG. At least Lou Williams at 6'0" has some PG skills & can play the PG position at times. I just don't see how this makes EricGordon a bit different from Ben Gordon. If you want that type of player offer $7 million per year for Ben Gordon. At least we don't have to discuss the positives about the cancer known as Zach Randolph & even remotely consider putting him on the team. Trading for Zach just to swap picks #6 & #16 is mismanagement of the highest order. I'll be in favor of firing Ed the day that happens. The honeymoon will be over.

Don't forget that our starting SG right now is a 6'3 Willie Green, he completely sucks and we STILL we're the 7th seed. Gordon is a much better shooter, on par slasher, much better on ball defender, and, most importantly, knows when to pass.

The Ben Gordon comparisons are off in my opinion, Ben has a very thin body while Eric is extremely built, kind of like Paul Pierce, he will muscle his way into the paint when necessary.

The only problem is, we then can't pick Speights (I've begun to watch watch tape and while he's a defensive liability, he knows how to score). We'll still be missing that inside presence.

Or we could engage in a trade like this:
Mike Miller
Brian Cardinal

for

Andre Iguodala.

Iguodala is a minor Doug Christie. You find those types in the draft. Why not a SF-SG that can shoot the ball from 3 land like Miller. Brian Cardinal's Nasty Contract is finally decent at 2 years remaining. Taking him on doesn't seem all that bad. And it doesn't matter if Mike Miller doesn't start(if you view him more as a 3 then a 2), because a Mike Miller as a sixth man is great to have.

We acquire:
Eric Gordan
Marquee Speights*/Javale McGee
Mike Miller

We lose:
Andre Iguodala.

I'm on board.
SendEm
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#27 » by SendEm » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:47 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan, great trade idea but I think that our #16 would have to go with Iggy or at least Utah's #1... No, definitely the #16.... But Memphis didn't give away Gasol for nothing just to basically replace Mike Miller's contract with a lengthier and larger one of a player that plays the same exact position. :( They are cutting salary and building through the draft with a emphasis placed on players playing on rookie deals.
If they didn't already have Rudy Gay then it would probably be a done deal in the fantasy basketball world. The prospect of paying Rudy Gay all the money he would be looking to receive in a few seasons after outplaying Iggy daily for one or two whole seasons wouldn't seem financially responsible. If Iggy gets a $60 million dollar deal then Gay is going to get a $70+ Joe Johnson type contract IF THEY ARE PAIRED ON THE SAME TEAM SIDE BY SIDE. That's too much money on the perimeter for one of those players not to be a PG.

I'd make the trade but I wouldn't pick Gordon.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by The Sixer Fixer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:55 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan

Iguodala is a FA so he can not be traded for draft picks this year. First you need to sign him (can't happen until after the draft) then maybe you can discuss a trade, but Andre would need to agree to go to Memphis. It's just way too complicated when you factor in that Memphis would have to make that pick for us, then pray that a S/T can be worked out with AI. It's not gonna happen!
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#29 » by dbodner » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:44 am

Look at the Historical measurements database at draft express. Guys I thought of a 7' like Sheed measured out as only 6'9. Even Dwight Howard and Okafor are 6'9 or under (with crazy long arms.)

Legit SF's like Iguodala and Caron Butler meaured out only 6'5.5
"Tall" PG's like Marbury and Baron are only 6'1-2.

Official NBA heights are listed in shoes. That's why it drives me crazy when people use the without-shoes measurement. You're not comparing them equally with listed NBA heights. When they list Dwight at 6'11", they didn't just decide to add 2" to his predraft measurement, they just used the height with shoes. Same thing with Caron Butler. Same thing with Rasheed Wallace, and Okafor.

Examples:
Player - NBA Listed - pre-without - pre-with
Caron Butler - 6'7" - 6'5.25" - 6'6.5"
Dwight Howard - 6'11" - 6'9" - 6'10.25"
Ben Gordon - 6'3" - 6'1" - 6'6.25"

Repeat after me, it's worthless calling Eric Gordon 6'2" unless you plan on subtracting 2" from everyone else in the nba. Gordon will end up being listed as 6'3" or possibly even 6'4" when he hits the nba. And it's legitimate, because that's how EVERYONE is listed.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#30 » by corwin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:18 am

dbodner wrote:
The kid is 6'2" in his bare feet

Are we playing beach basketball now?

Iguodala was 6'5" in his bare feet. I'm not sure the relevance though.

Eric Gordon's defense is twice as good as Ben Gordon. If Ben Gordon played defense, he'd be a very, very valuable player.

dbod, the relevance has to do with the fact that he'll get posted up all the time. I know he's strong but you just can't play two short guards for extended minutes. I'm also not convinced that his defense is that good. I didn't see anything special about his defense in the Indiana games that I watched.
corwin
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by corwin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:20 am

The Sixer Fixer wrote:He speaks about charater and fitting an uptemp system as the two key things. Zach does not fit either of those two criteria points in that profile. If they are not willing to risk character issues with a draft pick, what makes anyone think they would be willing to risk it with a guy they are paying 16 mil/yr? I'm faily certain this whole Zach rumor was something just started by a writer in Philly or NY and everyone else ran with it.

I hope that you're right but since sixerfan1976 is the one who brought it up in the first place, I give the rumor some legs. We should know pretty soon if it is true or not.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by The Sixer Fixer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:35 pm

corwin wrote:I hope that you're right but since sixerfan1976 is the one who brought it up in the first place, I give the rumor some legs. We should know pretty soon if it is true or not.

He didn't bring it up. He came here and responded to the post someone else made about it (after reading it somewhere) and said "this has legs". In no way did he mention if BEFORE it was printed.

Only way I could see a deal going down with Randolph being involved is if it's a 3 way deal and he's being flipped to the 3rd team (Milwaukee, Chicago, etc.), not us. Trying to do a 3 way deal during the draft that can't be completed until about a week after the draft (when our cap room kicks in) is VERY complicated and unlikely to happen at all.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#33 » by dbodner » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:34 pm

[/quote]dbod, the relevance has to do with the fact that he'll get posted up all the time.[/quote]

Point being, I'm not sure the relevance of listing his height in bare feet, except to make your point seem greater than it is. If you want to complain about his height, it's much more fair to Gordon to list his height in shoes, which is the one that's actually relevant.

Gordon's height IMO is a concern. But his height in shoes isn't relevant to how tall he is compared to the rest of the NBA. I myself am not overly concerned about his height defensively, because of his combination of arm length and size. If there's a concern with his height it's more about him getting his shot off offensively IMO.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#34 » by Skates » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:35 pm

dbodner wrote:

Gordon's height IMO is a concern. But his height in shoes isn't relevant to how tall he is compared to the rest of the NBA. I myself am not overly concerned about his height defensively, because of his combination of arm length and size. If there's a concern with his height it's more about him getting his shot off offensively IMO.[/quote]

That is exactly right, on D his long arms will make his lack of height mostly irrelevant. On defense you are usually using your full length so standing reach and wing span are more important than height. On offense, most players do not shoot at the apex of their upward reach (ironically the one guy I remember shooting like that was named Purvis SHORT) , so getting a shot off can be harder for a shorter player. Gordon has a very good first step, high end athleticism and exceptional strength for a SG (222 rock solid pounds on a 6'2" frame), plus good ups on his vertical, so he will be able adapt his game to get his shot off using those strengths in the NBA.
corwin
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by corwin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:06 am

dbodner wrote: Point being, I'm not sure the relevance of listing his height in bare feet, except to make your point seem greater than it is. If you want to complain about his height, it's much more fair to Gordon to list his height in shoes, which is the one that's actually relevant.

Gordon's height IMO is a concern. But his height in shoes isn't relevant to how tall he is compared to the rest of the NBA. I myself am not overly concerned about his height defensively, because of his combination of arm length and size. If there's a concern with his height it's more about him getting his shot off offensively IMO.

Well, I agree that his height is a concern & I will agree that the height in sneakers or bare feet is irrelevant so long as you are listing all of the players the same way. By either metric he is an inch taller than Ben Gordon (I thought they were the same, though the standing reach is the same) & marginally shorter than Willie Green. He does have pretty good bulk. Still, his height is a liability IMO on either end of the court & I consider him to be tweener-sized for his position which is SG. Does this mean he won't have a nice career or be a valuable? Of course not, but his size is still a negative.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers