Iguodala is traded for fair value
19%

Total votes: 16

Johnny Broad-Street
Sixth Man
And1: 16

Re: What position SHOULD Iggy be at? 

Post#21 » by Johnny Broad-Street » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:02 pm

What's with the extreme Eliis love? I mean...nice player...but who cares about him?

I'd trade Iggy for fair value and get a 2 who can shoot the lights out. Let's remove the log jam with him and Young and improve our shooting. I like Iggy a lot but think he may be more useful as a trade piece.
The JB-S System....Zero Defects.
CPops57
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#22 » by CPops57 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:42 pm

We need a good inside player who can rebound and defend.

Elton Brand is a good inside player who can rebound and defend.

It's hard to see the issue with him, SendEm.

What's with the extreme Eliis love? I mean...nice player...but who cares about him?

He is a tad undersized for SG, but as long as he scores as efficiently as he did last year (53% from the field for a SG is amazing) he's a guy that helps a team win games.

That he's a flashy and exciting player is just a bonus.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#23 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:23 am

If it's possible to love any basketball player, how is it possible NOT to love Monta? He's the most skilled finisher in the NBA bar none. He's one of the best midrange scorers in the NBA as well. All at the age of 22. His shooting stroke isn't unorthodox, and the fact that he knocks down the midrange shot leads me to believe that he will eventually extend his range to the 3 point line. Big difference between being a bad jump shooter and simply a player that needs to extend their range. Chris Paul, Rip Hamilton and Kobe are players that were in this same boat at one point.

Also no matter how many times I say it certain people just aren't going to understand how hard it is to produce when you aren't the focal point of an offense. These people see it as infinitely easier because the defense isn't focused on you instead of viewing it through the perspective of the offense being GEARED towards your individual success. They view Monta Ellis success as simply a role player putting up big numbers because he has two other distractions on the court at the same time as him. That's how you view a Kyle Korver or even Wally S. However, you don't view a dynamic player like Monta through that same role player perspective. Chris Kaman's production went up once Brand got injured right? Maggette's production went up once Brand got injured right? Steve Francis production went down once he no longer had a greenlight as a focal point right? Monta Ellis would instantly be on a Michael Redd level if he came to the Sixers. Didn't Redd's production go up once the Bucks traded away Ray Allen?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#24 » by Mik317 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:52 am

I think the thing that alot of you are forgetting is the fact the player often get better as their careers progress. Sure you can cite guys like Tim Thomas, or <insert Bum here>, but most players add **** to their games even the ones that are "NBA old".

for ex.

A.I."s Jumper wasn't his strong suit when he entered the league, he got better as time went on
Kobe wa shootin AIRBAUHS at the start of his career, HOLY **** he's clutch now.
Lebron Couldn't hit the side of a barn, it's improving

I'm not saying Iggy is even close to that league ( That League is liek SuperFriends level, but I did hear Batman is a dick, tho) But ,y point is that Iggy can get better and to his credit, even if he gets a little OMFG a fadeaway crazy sometimes, he added stuff to his game every year. Who knows maybe he';ll take his epic fail of a playoffs and work HAWD on his finishing and add some new moves to his arsenal. I'm willing to givethe guy a shot at that. at the very worse you have a Guy who can score, dish, rebound and play D......that ain't that bad.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
jmon
Junior
And1: 0

Post#25 » by jmon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:00 am

SendEm wrote:If it's possible to love any basketball player, how is it possible NOT to love Monta? He's the most skilled finisher in the NBA bar none. He's one of the best midrange scorers in the NBA as well. All at the age of 22. His shooting stroke isn't unorthodox, and the fact that he knocks down the midrange shot leads me to believe that he will eventually extend his range to the 3 point line. Big difference between being a bad jump shooter and simply a player that needs to extend their range. Chris Paul, Rip Hamilton and Kobe are players that were in this same boat at one point.

Also no matter how many times I say it certain people just aren't going to understand how hard it is to produce when you aren't the focal point of an offense. These people see it as infinitely easier because the defense isn't focused on you instead of viewing it through the perspective of the offense being GEARED towards your individual success. They view Monta Ellis success as simply a role player putting up big numbers because he has two other distractions on the court at the same time as him. That's how you view a Kyle Korver or even Wally S. However, you don't view a dynamic player like Monta through that same role player perspective. Chris Kaman's production went up once Brand got injured right? Maggette's production went up once Brand got injured right? Steve Francis production went down once he no longer had a greenlight as a focal point right? Monta Ellis would instantly be on a Michael Redd level if he came to the Sixers. Didn't Redd's production go up once the Bucks traded away Ray Allen?

Not sure he is the best finisher bar none. He is very good. His midrange shot is well above average, but I wouldn't say he is in the same atmosphere as Rip Hamilton yet, but he is improving greatly. His form isn't bad either. I agree he will, eventually, have some 3 point range. More than Iguodala at least.

Kaman and Magette both had better years 2 years ago with Brand. According to the numbers, they did at least. Redd's production, per minute, also remained roughly the same. His overall numbers actually arguably are worse as well.

I think it is hard to produce whether you are the #1, #2, or #5 option on the court. Producing isn't easy. Some say it is easier when you are the focal point because you have plays run for you. Some say it is easier when you can get the garbage like Thad did. I don't think it can be proven where it is harder to produce, but I could be wrong.

Steve Francis had one healthy year in Orlando and played well. I would just say he has been hurt for the last X years and that is why he isn't producing personally.

I think that you mistake an increase in minutes/scoring per game with an increase in "production" which I think is wrong.

I agree with a lot of what you say though. I like Ellis a lot. He can shoot more than he is given credit for. He is a great finisher. Do you think he can be a PG? I don't think so, so there will always be some problems with having him in the starting lineup. His size is about the same as Delonte West according to draftexpress, so it is possible for him to grow enough as a defender to guard SGs, but I don't see it happening. Overall, I would use my cap space on him. If all else fails, he can still flat out score.
SendEm
Banned User

Post#26 » by SendEm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:06 am

I think that you mistake an increase in minutes/scoring per game with an increase in "production" which I think is wrong.

Where is that evident?

Monta is as good of a PG prospect as Lou Williams. It's just that Nellie has no stomach for PG's that aren't above average playmakers/passers for that position. His entire offense is based around having above average natural playmakers/passers at the PG and point forward position. Lou Williams spent this past season learning the things that Monta already knows like absorbing contact and driving/finishing with the left hand. So if any Sixer homer believes that Lou Will can play PG then by that same barometer Monta can do so as well WHILE at the same time being a superior NBA player.

LOL people want the Sixers to sign Josh Smith as of Andre Miller is a fixture in our future. Without a pure PG Josh Smith, Iggy, Sammy, and whomever we draft at #16 will look like complete hard boiled feces on the floor together. They will struggle to get any kind of offense going.

Monta Ellis>Josh Smith
jmon
Junior

Post#27 » by jmon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:19 pm

SendEm wrote:I think that you mistake an increase in minutes/scoring per game with an increase in "production" which I think is wrong.

Where is that evident?

In every example you made... like Redd, Kaman, Magette, etc. They all scored more total pts/game and all played more minutes per game. That is common amongst all of them. Their per-minute statistics are pretty similar pretty much across the board.
psykosacul
Head Coach

Post#28 » by psykosacul » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:12 pm

sendem: i actually do think a PF with a strong outside shot would help iggy's game. (in theory) if you added nowitzki to this team, he would be pulling his defender out to the three point line on a regular basis, which would open up the middle a little more for iggy's drives. as youve said he usually just passes off when the second wave of defenders hits him, but if the PF werent inside it would be the sf who collapses, who is typically a much smaller body. IN THEORY, i do think a pf like that would help iggys game. however, i also dont really like the idea of an outside shooting pf, because typically they are softer than i would like the pf to be.
"get that hippy crap out of here." - the standford standout
nugentrk
Junior

Post#29 » by nugentrk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Every year Phoenix is usually a cheap team, this summer they will probably give away Leandrinho Barbosa. Can he be a good fit on your team? Maybe your team can steal him.

Willie Green for Barbosa (76ers lose $2.8 million in salary cap but Phoenix will save about $5.6 million with luxury tax)

starters: A. Miller | L. Barbosa | Iggy | R. Evans | S. Dalembert
Bench: L. Williams | R. Carney | T. Young | J. Smith
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#30 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:27 am

I think he plays best at SF.

Put a good shooter next to him at the SG...i think the 76ers becoem better

I like Thaddeus's game...so if u can have Young at SF and Iggy at Sg...then that is cool too

Return to Philadelphia 76ers