ImageImageImage

Should we tank the season next year?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

carlos1223
Banned User
And1: 0

Should we tank the season next year? 

Post#1 » by carlos1223 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:57 am

I personally think we should tank next year. We need a superstar player. The only way i see us getting one is through the draft. Igyy is not a superstar caliber player as he proved in the Detroit series. Thad has "potential" but we really dont know what he'll become yet. I think if we tank next season and get a good pick we could be really good in the 2009-2010 season.
76erinSJ
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Should we tank the season next year? 

Post#2 » by 76erinSJ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:17 am

Wwelcome back Carlos!

I think you should tank this season on realgm and try not to make one post. Just kidding of course! Why in the world should we tank this season? Anything less then playoffs would be bad not only for the team but also for our young players development.
Andre Miller is a bad 3pt shooter.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#3 » by ITK9 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:42 am

we didn't tank for oden/durant or rose/beasley. why would we start tanking now?
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#4 » by tk76 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Why not tank every year?
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Because it doesn't work out that way and Stern would like sanction us.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#6 » by LieCheatSteal » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:11 pm

No. Drafting high doesn't guarantee anything. Look at the Clippers. You can almost argue that they've "tank" it for 20+ years now.
Two years from being two years away.
Johnny Broad-Street
Sixth Man
And1: 16

Post#7 » by Johnny Broad-Street » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Why would Stern sanction us? Has that ever happened to any of the numerous teams who have tanked it?

NO WAY we should tank man! That's so against the spirit of competition and completely counters the reason you're supposed to follow sports. There is more to sports than winning a chip...I mean OF COURSE that's the goal, but there are ups and downs...personalities...drama...unexpected highs and lows...a little mystery....speculation...comraderie....commiseration...history and human emotion.

Why rob ourselves of that and sell our soul to win one? I know we're Philly....and yes we're jaded...but I won't trade all of that for the falsehood that would be our success.....

.....and that's assuming we were succesful in securing this magical player you speak of.
The JB-S System....Zero Defects.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#8 » by Cru Thik » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:37 pm

The playoffs are worthless when you get whipped by better teams. I will never throw my hat in that circus it's foolish to think first round exits are good for the young players. We had our chance to tank and get better fast we didn't take it. So we need to take what we have mediocrity for many many yrs an that's about it. Go 76ers :)
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
CPops57
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#9 » by CPops57 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:07 pm

The time to tank was 3-4 years ago when the team was mired in mediocrity.

Tanking now when we have one of the better young teams in the nba along with near-max cap space and multiple future draft picks to continue to add young talent over time seems silly to me.

PS: Unless multiple starters get hurt, this team is too good to have a good chance at a top 5 pick anyway.

I think you should tank this season on realgm and try not to make one post.

Ahhahahah
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#10 » by Sixersftw » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:27 pm

CPops57 wrote:The time to tank was 3-4 years ago when the team was mired in mediocrity.

we have one of the better young teams in the nba along with near-max cap space and multiple future draft picks to continue to add young talent over time

you'd never know it if you read this board, would ya? tanking isn't an option at this point and it's very obvious that this team won't tank, even if it was in their best interest (which it aint)
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#11 » by Sandalf42 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:53 am

I've dealt with 4 years of mediocrity and missed out on the NBA finals, so I am done with not being in the playoffs. Just done.
Micheal:.... I mean, you wouldn't arrest a guy who just deals drugs from one person to another.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#12 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:07 am

i think its shown that tanking gets you nowhere...
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .

Return to Philadelphia 76ers