Post#1 » by dbodner » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Discuss here.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Re: Official 2008 Free Agency News/Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Is there a reason why we just created a new thread when we already have a current one to discuss FA news?

Just curious since this is always an issue for certain people. Couldn't we just have changed the name of the current one if it didn't say "Official..."?
psykosacul
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#3 » by psykosacul » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:46 pm

hey dabods, would it be possible to merge the first message of my 08 free agents thread and have the list of possible FA as the first message in this thread? i know its long, but that way we wont get 30 questions about who is available... also, if you posted it, maybe the mods could update it and put the team the player signed with when it happens? i know its work for you, but just a thought, so that we have one base of information for everyone.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#4 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:47 pm

If possible (and I hope he reads it) can we get SF76 to post his news in here? We sort of had two official draft threads since there was the SF76 thread as well and so I'm hoping we can eliminate one so that none of miss out on the 4-1-1 of the day.

Also... here's my opinion

What I Want
Plan A: Sign Brand or Smith or Okafor
Plan B: Trade Miller/Evans to Miami for Marion. Use space to trade for Hinrich
Plan C: Trade for Villanueva or Gooden or Wilcox or Brandan Wright

What I Think Will Happen
Plan B but it may not be Hinrich. I think Ed would try to get Calderon but will strike out and will end up with someone like Felton.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#5 » by dbodner » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:56 pm

The Sixer Fixer wrote:Is there a reason why we just created a new thread when we already have a current one to discuss FA news?

Just curious since this is always an issue for certain people. Couldn't we just have changed the name of the current one if it didn't say "Official..."?

There's about 14 of them out there. Threads about our MLE, about Chad Ford and Calderon, about Maggette, about Hill, Amundson and Shav not having their QO's being offered. I didn't want to chose favorites, so I just created a new one. Those focused conversations can continue in this threads, I'm not going to force them to move their discussion or anything.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#6 » by bebopdeluxe » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:01 pm

TGP -

If Ed chooses your "Plan B", and goes after Felton, I will blow chunks.

I don't see the comparison between Felton and Hinrich...because there is none.

Smaller than Hinrich. Way, WAY worse shooter. Not as good of a defender. Hasn't won JACK in the NBA.

The ONLY way that I am on board with your "Plan B" (and eat up our cap room until next summer) is if we get a PG who can replace Miller and win playoff games. Hinrich has done that - and we might be able to get the Bulls to eat some of our salary in the process. Felton is - in virtually every way - a materially inferior player to Hinrich.
Johnny Broad-Street
Sixth Man
And1: 16

Post#7 » by Johnny Broad-Street » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:05 pm

any conclusion to the idea of getting SF to post here just to simplify things? I'll send him a PM and see what he says.
Johnny Broad-Street
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Johnny Broad-Street » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Or not....no PMs anymore? did I miss something? I'm not always up on the changes
psykosacul
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#9 » by psykosacul » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 pm

psykosacul wrote:hey dabods, would it be possible to merge the first message of my 08 free agents thread and have the list of possible FA as the first message in this thread? i know its long, but that way we wont get 30 questions about who is available... also, if you posted it, maybe the mods could update it and put the team the player signed with when it happens? i know its work for you, but just a thought, so that we have one base of information for everyone.

*thump *thump * thump.... is this thing on?

Johnny Broad-Street wrote:Or not....no PMs anymore? did I miss something? I'm not always up on the changes.

apparently youre not up on the old school either :) they never worked man. only for mods
Johnny Broad-Street
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Johnny Broad-Street » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Can't say as I ever tried except to a mod to be honest....hahaha.

Well....maybe Dabods can reach out to him and see if he wants to do that
The JB-S System....Zero Defects.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:08 pm

An article with a little bit of FA info/opinions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... index.html

One question, why is it that everyone says only the Sixers and Memphis have cap room (and possibly the Clippers if Brand/Maggette opt-out)?

If I'm not mistaken, Washington has to be well under the cap since Arenas did opt-out and Jamison is a UFA. Now I know they are probably looking to re-sign them, but what's stoppign them from saying they are too expensive and changing directions and going after the Iguodala's, Josh Smith's, etc. of the FA class? From what I can tell, they should have close to 10 million under the cap, no? Granted they would probably be better re-signing Arenas and Jamison since they can't get more talent with only 10 mil, but you never know what they will do.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 pm

Marc Stein is reporting that Jamison is going to sign a 4 year/$50 MIL deal with the Wizards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3467806

A couple of things bother me about this:

1) Stein says that Jamison was expected to draw "serious" interest from the Sixers. Would we have eventually contacted Jamison, sure! But I don't know how "serious" he was as an option to come here at the age of 32.

2) Ummmm.... I'm confused. How is it that this report can get leaked a full 8 hours before free agency starts. The fact that this is out there should raise some eyebrows around the league about the fact that the Wiz began negotiations early. Obviously this sort of thing happens all the time but shouldn't this have been kept under wraps a little bit better???
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:51 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:TGP -

If Ed chooses your "Plan B", and goes after Felton, I will blow chunks.

I don't see the comparison between Felton and Hinrich...because there is none.

Smaller than Hinrich. Way, WAY worse shooter. Not as good of a defender. Hasn't won JACK in the NBA.

The ONLY way that I am on board with your "Plan B" (and eat up our cap room until next summer) is if we get a PG who can replace Miller and win playoff games. Hinrich has done that - and we might be able to get the Bulls to eat some of our salary in the process. Felton is - in virtually every way - a materially inferior player to Hinrich.

Listen... my Plan B is for Hinrich. I wish that would happen and, well, a backup plan to the almighty Plan A but I believe Ed will get Marion and let us down with Felton. I'm with you on him and prefer a guy who has done something in this league.

The Sixer Fixer wrote:An article with a little bit of FA info/opinions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... index.html

One question, why is it that everyone says only the Sixers and Memphis have cap room (and possibly the Clippers if Brand/Maggette opt-out)?

I think these national columnists are reporting it this way because it is believed that Brand will stay in LAC, Jamison and Arenas will stay in WASH, and Robert Swift will be re-signed in Seattle. There are teams with space but they don't figure to make a run at anyone else's FAs. Also, Washington is definitely off of the list now that they've re-signed Jamison.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:07 pm

Also... Robert Flores did a SportsCenter break at 4PM and said that SAS will be on SportsCenter at 6PM to give the details of a big name trade that will go down when free agency begins at midnight.

What deal is this?? I can't find ANYthing about it. Is he referring to deals that have been agreed upon that hasn't actually happened like the O'Neal/Ford trade???
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#15 » by dbodner » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:11 pm

f I'm not mistaken, Washington has to be well under the cap since Arenas did opt-out and Jamison is a UFA. Now I know they are probably looking to re-sign them, but what's stoppign them from saying they are too expensive and changing directions and going after the Iguodala's, Josh Smith's, etc. of the FA class?

Jamison and Arenas have cap holds. Their cap hold is 150% of their previous salary. So they do count against their cap. In order to not count against their cap figure, they'd have to renounce their bird rights, which they haven't done yet. So as of now, they are over the cap.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:12 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:Also... Robert Flores did a SportsCenter break at 4PM and said that SAS will be on SportsCenter at 6PM to give the details of a big name trade that will go down when free agency begins at midnight.

What deal is this?? I can't find ANYthing about it. Is he referring to deals that have been agreed upon that hasn't actually happened like the O'Neal/Ford trade???

I would hope the big trade news isn't news that everyone and their brother already knows. Then again, it's SAS so I would not be surprised if it's O'Neal/Ford.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:13 pm

I don't know what the deal is with Washington, but ESPN is also reporting that the Wizards are offering Arenas a 6 year/$100MIL deal. I thought teams had to wait until midnight to deal with their own FAs as well?

The Arenas thing actually isn't that bad since it's just a report that this is what they are going to offer. The Jamison thing sounds like he's accepted the deal which is bothersome.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#18 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Can you give a link to the Arenas thing on ESPN TGP?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:21 pm

If those reports are true, I'm very happy. I like both guys as players, but I didn't want either here on the Sixers.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:Can you give a link to the Arenas thing on ESPN TGP?

This wasn't an article on ESPN but on ESPNews. Chris Sheridan and David Thorpe were on and they also have it scrolling along their "bottom line". Thorpe (waste of time) actually brought up a good point for once. He said that the market for Arenas probably wouldn't yield more than $80MIL so why are the Wiz offering him a little more than $100MIL??

Return to Philadelphia 76ers