ImageImageImage

The Official Iverson Get Your Butt Back Here Next Season

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

TheAnswerAI
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: The Official Iverson Get Your Butt Back Here Next Season 

Post#21 » by TheAnswerAI » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:44 am

For the MLE AND WITH Andre Miller still on the team. Yes. I would do it. He could be the 6th man or our starting two guard

Miller - Iverson - Iguodala - Brand - Dalembert

6th man Thad Young
Lou Williams, Speights, Smith, Evans

I think Miller, iguodala, Brand and Dalembert could make up for the poor defense of Iverson and his scoring is still great.

But right now I would like to see our team just continue to develop like they did last year. I think we're on a great way...

Still the city would go wild with Iverson back and the whole team still together like they will this year.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#22 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:45 am

Im in. Someone should call him.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,232

Post#23 » by eyeatoma » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:49 am

I'd do it, but theres no way AI will ever be a 6th man TheAnswerAI.

If we can get him for the mid level he'd be valuable to the team.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#24 » by freshie2 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 am

76erinSJ wrote:If AI would com e back for the MLE and play like a team player and only take about 15 shots a game I would love to have him back.

I dont know if anyone else has noticed but AI has become a better shooter and has been taking about 8 less shots a game. Hes taken about 22 shots a game in his time in Denver while making 45-46% of his 2 pts and 35% of his 3 pts.

He is a better shooter, but he still is taking 20+ FGA/game and is a huge defensive liability...no fit on this team.
phiphan
Head Coach
And1: 2,331

Post#25 » by phiphan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:08 pm

It would be silly not to take him for the MLE.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#26 » by sixers hoops » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Tension wrote:Besides, it's sort of a Brett Favre thing, if he indeed said he wanted to come back we would probably try our best to get him back (Well I guess it really isn't much of a Brett Favre thing anymore now that the Packers are shutting him out lol, but you get the point, loyalty and such)

I don't think it is even close. They traded him because they couldn't stand him any longer. He didn't even play in the games while waiting to be traded and the owner publicly stated that we are moving him because he was completely finished with AI.

Nonetheless, I think if they thought he was the final piece, they would deal with his nonsense for another contract, but he is not going to be welcomed back with open arms and they wouldn't bend over backwards to get him.

I think ownership really knows the trouble that comes with AI, and unless you're a true contender, they don't go that route.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#27 » by Sixersftw » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:50 pm

phiphan wrote:It would be silly not to take him for the MLE.

I don't want him back but this is 100% true.
Kunlun
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#28 » by Kunlun » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:44 pm

Iverson would make a decent sixth man for us. He could be our Ginobili.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#29 » by bebopdeluxe » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 pm

While it is HIGHLY speculative that AI would even accept the MLE, AI is not coming back to this team for the MLE to be a 6th man.

Book it.
dond
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by dond » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:18 pm

almost famous wrote:As a Nuggets fan, you can have him. I love the guy, I love his heart, but he's not working here. Most fans in Denver feel the same.

I only wish we were able to get Dre back...

For those diehard Iverson fans, who could never accept the fact that the problem was A.I.

I guess that pretty much says it all. Iverson doesn't work anywhere. He does not fit anywhere.

And certainly not back with the Sixers ...
fofofo
Ballboy

Post#31 » by fofofo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Personally I would like to see him play a couple more years and then come back as coach...we talking 'bout coaching
still in payne
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#32 » by still in payne » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:42 am

If we want to bring a free agent veteran with Philly ties in, let's go for Rasheed. There's no cancer like an old cancer, and AI is carcinogenic. Those AI one-on-three fastbreaks will be even more frustrating. Those naps on the trainer's table during practice will set a fine example for the younger players. I'm sure he's now willing to attend all of those VIP/season ticketholder functions. Goodbye ball movement! And won't AI be so classy as he approaches the end of his career and looks forward to his next career as a ...[crickets chirping]? He's not going to adjust to not being The Man easily. Let him approach Sprewelldom somewhere else. He never learned, he never will.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#33 » by dbodner » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:01 am

freshie2 wrote:No thanks...love the heart, but the mind doesn't permit the body to play a winning game...MLE plus only 15 FGA/game may sell me, but he's not going to change at this point.

You do realize he's only taken 19 per game (at 45.5%) since going to Denver, right?
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#34 » by freshie2 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:25 am

dbodner wrote:
freshie2 wrote:No thanks...love the heart, but the mind doesn't permit the body to play a winning game...MLE plus only 15 FGA/game may sell me, but he's not going to change at this point.

You do realize he's only taken 19 per game (at 45.5%) since going to Denver, right?

Get him to 15, and I'll bite.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#35 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:54 am

I could see AI wanting to do a Schilling...coming back to help break the curse of Billy Penn. I was at the Nuggets game last season, and he was genuinely touched by the crowd - who was amazing that night (I almost got goosebumps when he put his hand to his ear).

I think the key will be if another good team wants to pay him significant $$$ to be "the man" next summer...I could certainly see a meh team offering him a Maggette-like deal, but if a good team doesn't pony up the cash, I think the MLE from us might get us in the mix. Unless he's been an idiot with his money, he should have plenty - so the difference between a 4-year, $27 million deal from us and a 5-year, $50 million deal from, say, the Heat might not be all that great.

And the guy certainly has played enough PG in All-Star games and the Olympics where he was as much a facilitator as a scorer...and if this team has a deep run but comes up just short this season, he would certainly be an interesting option.

But...let's play THIS season first.
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 243

Post#36 » by Samson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:24 am

Any day of the week, twice on Sundays... Iverson can play for my team anyday...

By that, I mean, I would LOVE to have Iverson back.

Allen Iverson, Andre Iguodala, Thad Young, Elton Brand, and Samuel Dalembert is a pretty badass lineup...

And please don't forget, as much as it certainly is true that the Summer of '01 was, as someone put it, "close but no cigar"... it was a whole lot closer than any of us has seen since that Mo Cheeks dunk back in the day.... It's not like AI didn't try... and damn near do it all, all by his bad self...
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#37 » by Phillyboy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:11 am

I thought a couple of the other threads lately were truly silly but this one takes over the lead.

N-F'ing O!

!. He's a little a-hole
2. Ed Snider thinks he's a little a-hole
3. Mo Cheeks thinks he's a little a-hole
4. He's a major step backwards
5. Who cares if he ever gets a ring?
6. This is EB's team now
7. There no chance in hell of this ever happening anyway (Thank God)

I'm very happy to watch him slink away into obscurity while he watches the team who had enough of him perhaps win a title or two while he's still in uniform.

Better thread- How much this team has improved since WE RID OURSELVES of him. I'll start one from my desk tomorrow morning.
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#38 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:30 pm

Phillyboy:

While I frequently agree with many of your viewpoints on basketball and the Sixers, I must respectfully disagree with you here...although - to be honest - I believe the chance of this happening is still pretty slim. The nice thing is that we still have Andre Miller for another year - another year of development for our young guys...and he can still be the "glue guy" that gets everybody involved. However...if Miller does not want to resign with us...or if we see another playoff series where Miller seems to be running on fumes (Stefanski acknowledged that he thought Miller was tired by the end of the Detroit series), then we will need a new PG.

And if so, I certainly would consider AI at the MLE.

It is obviously a leap of faith - for both sides. AI has to be willing to trust his teammates to do the right thing when he gives up the ball. The Sixers FO has to believe AI when he says that he is ready to give up some shots to win a ring. There certainly is historical precedent for AI to be more of a true PG and defer to others (i.e. Olympics)...and the floor space that he would see on a '09-'10 Sixers team would be unlike anything he has seen in his NBA career.

I would think that - with many teams saving money for the Summer 2010 motherload of free agency, the possibility of getting AI for the MLE is out there. There may be other options next summer (a resigned Miller, for instance), but - based solely on talent - getting AI for the MLE is something that Stefanski should definitely consider if it comes up. That is simply too much price/value for him to ignore, IMO.
Don
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#39 » by Don » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Fan psych-analysis: Some people learn the easy way, some learn the hard way. There are still others who never learn.
Conclusion: Let it go, folks, let it GO!!!!
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#40 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Don:

Why should I let it go?

This is a Sixers forum. This is where we discuss things like this.

You don't like the idea of AI coming back to play for the Sixers? Fine. Personally, I think the chances of the scenario being outlined are very slim...but if you told me that, next summer, Miller declines an extension with us (or we choose not to offer him one), and AI (whose contract ends this season), declines an extension from the Nuggets and is available to us for the MLE (a 70% discount over what he is beig paid this season), I would certainly consider it....and I have no problem defending my position, either.

But lets see what happens this season first, OK?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers