ImageImageImage

The Resurgent Atlantic Division

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 472

The Resurgent Atlantic Division 

Post#1 » by Sixercise » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:12 pm

It's been years since this division, rightfully nicknamed the 'Titanic Division' a couple years back, has become quite competitive again....which kinda scares me as a Sixers fan, but I'm looking forward to the fun challenges.

Just a bit of a synopsis for the 5 teams:

Boston: Well, congrats on their 17th ring :P ....but how hungry will they be this year, considering that everyone's a year older and that Posey is gone? Not to mention that they are still looking for a reliable backup to Rondo. That said, they're still the team to beat here.

Win(s) prediction: 56-60

New Jersey: This is a team that kinda scares me, because they've done quite the retooling this offseason (trading away RJ for Yi, then signing Hayes & Najera, and getting a S&T on Keyon Dooling). This team has become relativily young and somewhat talented, now that they have shooters....question is, how cohesive will this team be? And how reliable are their young bigs gonna be? Last but not least, how healthy will VC be?

Win(s) prediction: 37-41

New York: Boy, was Donnie Walsh dumb not to trade away ZBO....that said, D'Antoni being the new coach alone will improve this team.

Win(s) prediction: 35 at the most (which I would consider a succesful season for them)

Philly: Acquisition of Brand, resigning Iggy & Lou and get shooter. Plus with the surprising emergence of rookie Speights (possible replacement for Sam in the next couple years?) & the upcoming Thad, the future is in good hands.

Win(s) prediction: 49-53

Toronto: The loss of Delfino may have cost them a couple wins here & there, but the addition of O'Neal is definitely an improvement. But can he stay healthy? Will there be a good backup to JC? Who can they depend on from the bench to produce night in & night out? And lastly, outside of Moon & maybe O'Neal, their defense is rather suspect....

Win(s) prediction: 43-47

Enjoy the rest of the offseason, fellas!
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 472

Re: The Resurgent Atlantic Division 

Post#2 » by Sixercise » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:12 am

Thoughts are appreciated, if any.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#3 » by sixerguy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:09 am

Im not impressed with anything NJ has done. they or the knicks (surprise surprise) should be at the bottom. knicks still won't be able to bring it together.

toronto is incomplete; they don't have a starting caliber sg or sf.

im going to go out on a limb (in the redwood forest) and say it's us or Boston
Brand 76
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Brand 76 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:48 am

We will not win the division but second is better than third.

C's got the division in the bag not even gonna comment on them any further.

I think Raptors are gonna suprise some people and i got a feeling Jermaine will be healthy all year, indiana is gonna regret this move.TJ is **** and the Raptors are not. Pacers would have been better off taking a chance on Bayless again something they will regret.
Raps are the only ones i am kind of worried about.

knicks and Nets still suck.........they dont even show some LOVE for young Danillo G there just to negative for me and the Nets tryed to be aggressive all the way back to the JKidd trade at the deadline then Draft now freeagentsy, but they dont even know what they are doing or trying to do.

SIXERS have an opening unlike anything we have seen in the past few years.
We have a chance to finish in the top 5 of the entire Eastern Conf and could possibly get to the East finals against Boston when it's all said and done.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,592

Post#5 » by 76ciology » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:49 pm

IMO, Raptors are like the Suns. They'd be fun to watch and would be pretty intimidating because of their style and their imposing talent. But like the Suns, they'd be having trouble facing teams like the Celtics or the Sixers which has a strong conviction on team concept and defensive principles.

Yes, the Raptors might get a better record than we do in the regular season. But I can't see them beating us in the play-offs. Nor do I see them beating the Celtics in the play-offs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,253

Post#6 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:54 pm

crazylyf wrote:
Yes, the Raptors might get a better record than we do in the regular season.

Frankly, I can't even see that happening, with the walking wounded frontcourt they have.

Bosh has missed at least 10 games per season for the last 2 seasons, and we all know Jermaine's O'neal's history.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#7 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:08 pm

I don't see the hate on the Nets, really. They are going to be good this year, and really good in a few years.

You think Yi and Brook Lopez is not a great big man combo? And having Sean Williams and Josh Boone off the bench? They are looking good for bigs for the next 5-10 years.

And Marcus Williams behind Devin Harris is better than anything we will have at PG in the next 5 years.

If my only concern was Vince Carter and Bobby Simmons as my wings, I'd be pretty happy.

Think about it. Hassell, Van Horn, and Simmons all expire in summer 2010. If they can trade Vince for another expiring deal, they will have plenty of money to throw at Lebron, and he likes it there.

We could be looking at the 2010-2011 New Jersey Nets and seeing this:

Lopez/Williams
Jinlian/Boone/Anderson
Lebron/Najera
2009 1st/CDR
Harris/Williams

That is really good. IMO Lopez is going to be a really good 15-20/10-12 big man. Jinlian can run the high-low with him and be deadly. Harris is a good young PG with the ability to become a top 10 PG as the older PG's fade away in the next 3 years. CDR may very well turn into their SG of the future. Boone, Anderson and Williams are good backup bigs if you ask me. And Williams at PG off the bench is pretty solid.

You add Lebron to that and watch out.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
barkley34
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#8 » by barkley34 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Nice post. I am in line with your thoughts except I think NJ will be worse.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#9 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:02 am

I really don't see how we won't win the division. I don't see any other competition there. Toronto maybe.
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#10 » by Sandalf42 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:20 am

I really don't see how we won't win the division.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you had a brain lapse and forgot the Celtics are in our division.
Micheal:.... I mean, you wouldn't arrest a guy who just deals drugs from one person to another.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#11 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:23 am

Lmao, the Celtics?

You actually think they'll make the playoffs?

Wow...
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#12 » by NYKBaller » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:10 pm

yeah, be even beter than the texas swing in a few years. boston will be out of it in 2 years when the big three gets too old
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
akaFlip
Pro Prospect
And1: 169

Post#13 » by akaFlip » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:27 pm

Its possible that 3 of the top 4 teams in the East would include Boston/Philly/Toronto.
Philly + Boston for sure, the Raps are questionable although I do see them suprising a lot of people this year.

I dont agree with with the wins prediction for the Raptors though, I'd have to say 45-50.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers