ImageImageImage

Jason Smith

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

bedjaw
Senior
And1: 44

Re: Jason Smith 

Post#21 » by bedjaw » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Nofx8881 wrote:I think Jason Smith is a nice player and I certainly don't think he's a throw in for any deal or a guy the Sixers can just trade for nothing and not worry about, but what **** scout in their right mind said, "He's a starter in this league. No question."? It must have been one of the Sixers scouts. Smith COULD be a starter in this league, but putting up 16/8 in summer league doesn't mean you can automatically start. If that were the case, Speights would already be in the All-Star game for next season. Smith still has work to do before any team should think about starting him during the regular season.

It is not a stretch to think he is a starting caliber C. Compare him to some other Starting Cs. McDyess, Haywood, Perkins, Bargnani, Gray, Foster, Blount

If these guys are boder-line starters than certainly JSmith falls into this category. The guy just said he was a starter not all-star or core player.
Nofx8881
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Nofx8881 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:58 pm

No.

You will not convince me that Jason Smith is worthy of being a starting center in the NBA. All of those people you listed are better than Smith.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#23 » by LieCheatSteal » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:37 pm

I personally don't see the point in moving him now. What's wrong with a little depth and competition for playing time. Obviously Dalembert and Brand will be the 5 and 4, so Evans, Speights and Smith will fight for backup duty. That's pretty solid.

Just because Speights was great in Vegas doesn't mean his play will translate into the regular season. Summer League performances mean nothing. Nate Robinson's been MVP of that league multiple times and yet, he hasn't dominated yet in this league. Strong performances were also had in the league by Skita and Belinelli and neither of them are stars. So it should be Smith ahead of Speights for playing time until proven otherwise.

BTW, did some poster actually suggest Smith for Daquan Cook? Trade them for each other again? LOL.
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#24 » by Bucky O'Hare » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:08 am

Smith for Shawne Williams and Josh McRoberts?
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#25 » by freshie2 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:00 am

Bucky O'Hare wrote:Smith for Shawne Williams and Josh McRoberts?

No thanks...Williams was interesting coming out, but he's got to grow up first. Smith really looked smooth with the jumper and remains aggressive with his play. He's a solid big off the bench. Neither of the other two are solid in any aspect of the game at this point.
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#26 » by Bucky O'Hare » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:25 am

freshie2 wrote:

No thanks...Williams was interesting coming out, but he's got to grow up first. Smith really looked smooth with the jumper and remains aggressive with his play. He's a solid big off the bench. Neither of the other two are solid in any aspect of the game at this point.

Shawne Williams is a stat-stuffer. He can do a little bit of everything at the age of 22 - he has the makings of a future 15-18 ppg, 6-7 rpg, 2-3 apg, 1 block, 1 steal player. I'm not sure how you could say he's not solid and a guy who's played 82 career minutes is.

Yeah, Williams has hung out with some bad apples, but that's the only reason Indy would consider this deal.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#27 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:19 am

I like Smith and I want to keep him. I like bigs who can shoot. They aren't easy to find.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#28 » by tk76 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:54 am

LieCheatSteal wrote:Just because Speights was great in Vegas doesn't mean his play will translate into the regular season. Summer League performances mean nothing. Nate Robinson's been MVP of that league multiple times and yet, he hasn't dominated yet in this league. Strong performances were also had in the league by Skita and Belinelli and neither of them are stars. So it should be Smith ahead of Speights for playing time until proven otherwise.

BTW, did some poster actually suggest Smith for Daquan Cook? Trade them for each other again? LOL.

Speights has been singled out by several writers as being the most impressive player in the summer league.

It was not simply putting up numbers. Quick scoring guards like Lou Williams and Nate can do that. Its a bigger deal to show yourself as a dominant physical force on both ends with effecient post moves, an automatic midrange jumper with a great high release, and a player that can rebound well in traffic against bigger players.

Speight's success in the summer league was in skills that are directly transferable to the NBA- that's why he was so impressive.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#29 » by freshie2 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:50 am

Bucky O'Hare wrote:
freshie2 wrote:

Shawne Williams is a stat-stuffer. He can do a little bit of everything at the age of 22 - he has the makings of a future 15-18 ppg, 6-7 rpg, 2-3 apg, 1 block, 1 steal player. I'm not sure how you could say he's not solid and a guy who's played 82 career minutes is.

Yeah, Williams has hung out with some bad apples, but that's the only reason Indy would consider this deal.

His rap sheet is getting as full as his stat sheet...that's my main issue with him. He's not developed enough to be a legit PF at this point, so his game needs to mature as much as he needs to mature off the court. Agree he has a ton of potential, but at this point Smith is a much better fit for the Sixers. In a few years, will Williams be a late bloomer like Roger Mason or the next Darius Miles?
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#30 » by trebone » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Would anyone here look at a jj redick, filler for smith, or even a cook, redick for smith and filler?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#31 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:47 pm

magicfan84 wrote:Would anyone here look at a jj redick, filler for smith, or even a cook, redick for smith and filler?

I would say no because I don't believe Redick will be in the league this time 2 years from now.

As for the topic of trading Smith, the only way I would do it is if it for one of two pieces...

1) A young PG that can be groomed to take over for Miller down the road (see: Crittenton)

2) Part of a package to land a legitimate 3 point threat (see: Kyle Korver).

Because Smith's contract is so small, we really wouldn't get good value in return for him unless it was for a player on a rookie contract hence I don't see him being moved.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#32 » by trebone » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:07 pm

and redick is not a 3 point threat? He has a contract that would work for a smith deal and you have a ton of pfs. what about evans? any ideas?
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#33 » by LongLiveHinkie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:17 pm

I wouldn't do that deal either. I like Smith and I think he will be good. I want to keep him. I want to keep Evans too, but I'd part with him. Probably not for Redick though. I don't like Redick.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers