ImageImageImage

Couple of questions about Lou Will

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Teddy KGB
General Manager
And1: 1

Couple of questions about Lou Will 

Post#1 » by Teddy KGB » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:22 am

Hey Philly fans, I am very close to signing Lou Williams in a GMing game, and I just wanted to ask a few about him.

1) The deal I am going to be signing him for is 5 years, 21M. Is that overpaying, just about right or underpaying?

2) What are Lou's main strengths and shortcomings as a player? Not asking about things he's just average at, but what is he really good or really bad at? i.e. how is his defense, 3 pt shooting etc.

3) Is he ready to start this season? My line-up right now wouldn't involve many playmaking duties as my big 3 [I've assembled a similar one to the Celts this year] can all create their own shots. I just need him to space the floor a bit [enough to keep the defense honest] and play decent defense. Is he capable of doing this on a nightly basis?

4) Here is my lineup, do you see any major problems with Lou Williams fitting in:

Cc - Erick Dampier
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
SF - Paul Pierce
SG - Kevin Martin
PG - (Lou Williams)

Thanks in advance for any input, it is much appreciated.
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Couple of questions about Lou Will 

Post#2 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:35 am

He has a solid jumpshot, but can be inconsistent. He can hit jumpers with defenders in his face. He is very good at driving and getting into the paint. He can finish with contact and get to the line. He can create his own shot. Has good handles.

As a starter? Depends on the team. I'll always look at him as a shoot first PG or a small 2 guard.

As for the deal... sounds about right. ideally he is a very good scoring spark off the bench that can hit jumpers, drive, and provide energy. Can run the floor well. He isn't a great defender, but isn't horrible either.
Fire BK
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Fire BK » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:39 am

If you're banking on his statistics this year, it's a crapshoot... Because he probably won't play starters' minutes. He's like Vinny Microwave Johnson, with instant offense off the bench... Think Barbosa with out the 3-balls.... nice, smooth outside jump shot, though. He could easily develop 3-point range, and he went to a summer clinic for outside shooting with Iggy + Thad + Carney (in MIN now).

However, overall, I think Lou is a great upside pick for a fantasy GM game... Miller is 32, and Lou will also play many SG minutes behind Iggy.... Also, there's probably a 3% chance Miller could still get moved at the deadline because he's expiring at season's end... And if Lou comes out looking like Monta Ellis this season, Miller could become a trade piece if he's still showing signs of walking next summer.

So worst case scenario, he plays 25 MPG, and averages 12 points, 3-4 assists, 1 steal... Best case scenario he developed a 3-pt shot, and somehow steals relative starters' mins betw PG + SG combined.... finishes all the games in the 4th quarter... and averages 15 PPG, 5 assists, 1.5 steals, and some 3's.

Hope that helps. Also, there's already an ongoing thread regarding his contractual worth (and other basketball matters) that you might find helpful... viewtopic.php?f=26&t=826730&start=30
psykosacul
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#4 » by psykosacul » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:18 am

the deal is fair, but he might be had for a little less.

for the team youve assembled he is probably the best player you'll find to man the spot (considering how much youve spent on other stars.) if playmaking isnt a major concern he is ok as a starter on that team.
"get that hippy crap out of here." - the standford standout
Teddy KGB
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Teddy KGB » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:19 am

alright thanks for the input guys, i was just wondering if he was ready to handle the big minutes...
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro

Return to Philadelphia 76ers