Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Sixers sign guard Royal Ivey 

Post#121 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:16 pm

I can only think of 3 PGS.

John Stockton
Jason Kidd
Gary Payton.

I believe Magic Johnson, had he not had HIV(Remember kids, wear a condom) would've had a similar type of longevity. He was athletic and basketball smart.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#122 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Did Jason Kidd even turn 35 yet? If he did it was at the end of this year when he definitely wasn't playing anywhere near his best basketball.

Gary Payton was no where near his top level after he turned 35. He turned 35 the summer he joined the lakers.
geiger
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#123 » by geiger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Magic, as a 6-9 super star, might have still been effective. Jason Kidd was already a shade of his former self last season and Gary Payton was as closed to washed up as you'll get by the time he was 35. And let's not forget, Andre Miller should never be mentioned in the same sentence with guys like Magic, Stockton, Kidd and Payton, all of whom are Hall of Fame players. This is a guy with a career average of 14.4 points a game. He's averaged more than 16.5 points per game exactly once in his career - last season. His career average is 7.5 per game, but he's been at about 6.8 as a Sixer. He's shot .065% from 3 point range over the past two seasons. He used to play very average defense, but his d has been downright poor the past few seasons. This is not to say he's not a solid player or not a good PG. But facts are what the facts are. The guy will be 33 this year, he will be going into free agency, our cap situation and fit aren't the best - failure to re-sign him before he hits free agency will take away our ability to use the MLE or LLE next season and if he leaves, we'll only have $2 or $3 million to spend to replace him. He doesn't love the East Coast. He wants a big, long term contract. We have young SG and SF who are our future, but who are also guys who can't shoot the 3, which is untenable when you have a post scoring PF and a shot blocking C. So we move either Miller, Iguodala or Young and out of those 3, I would much rather move Miller.
psykosacul
Head Coach

Post#124 » by psykosacul » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:25 am

geiger wrote:and LB is in the Hall of Fame in large part because of Iverson.

uhm.... no.

geiger wrote:Miller will be 33 years old this season. It's insane to offer him a 3 year extension. He is coming off a career season last year. He's a 13 to 14 point, 7 assist a game PG who can't shoot or defend, and who will start declining. Who was the last PG who had those attributes and played at the top of his game past his 35th birthday?

the issue is less about how good miller will be and more about how good the guy replacing him will be. ill take miller at 13/7 because i believe that combined with his game management will be better than anything else we can put at the pg spot. with brand here now, it isnt about the future. its about a 4 year window.
"get that hippy crap out of here." - the standford standout
jmon
Junior

Post#125 » by jmon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:21 am

geiger wrote:The guy will be 33 this year, he will be going into free agency, our cap situation and fit aren't the best - failure to re-sign him before he hits free agency will take away our ability to use the MLE or LLE next season and if he leaves, we'll only have $2 or $3 million to spend to replace him..

Sixers would just use the Bird Exception to sign Miller since they have his Bird Rights...

Our cap situation is good as well... not sure why you would think otherwise. We will likely be right at the salary cap line next offseason before signing Miller, using the MLE or bi-annual exceptions... so the luxury tax really is no concern yet.
geiger
Banned User

Post#126 » by geiger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 am

Luxury tax is no concern at all, but under CBA rules, you can't use your MLE or LLE if you're coming into the off-season under the salary cap. If we come into the off-season with Miller becoming an unrestricted free agent, we can use our Bird rights to sign him and exceed the cap in doing so, but we'll still be $2 million or so under the cap at the point he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Thus - we won't have an MLE or LLE against next season. Meaning we won't be able to improve and get the shooters and depth we need and postponing our maximum competitiveness in year 3 of Brand's contract and when Miller will 35 - that wouldn't be very smart.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#127 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:33 am

I don't feel like looking it up right now so I could be completely wrong, but I thought we figured out that you can use the exceptions if you're under the cap, it's just that they then count as sort of a cap hold on your salary space.

Plus until Iguodala and Lou sign we really have no idea what our cap situation is next year anyway.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#128 » by sixers hoops » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:34 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Plus until Iguodala and Lou sign we really have no idea what our cap situation is next year anyway.

Exactly, way to early to calculate.
jmon
Junior

Post#129 » by jmon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 am

Sixerscan wrote:I don't feel like looking it up right now so I could be completely wrong, but I thought we figured out that you can use the exceptions if you're under the cap, it's just that they then count as sort of a cap hold on your salary space.

what he said. Exceptions count against the cap. You renounce them in order to use cap space.
jmon
Junior

Post#130 » by jmon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:23 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Exactly, way to early to calculate.

I suppose it is a bit early. They could front load or level out the contracts which could complicate things. Beyond that or Iguodala for 15+ mill a year though, I think it is pretty safe from the numbers I am seeing.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,820

Post#131 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:27 pm

You will like Royal Ivey, if he's your third string point. If you guys don't sign Williams (Im sure you guys are right?) you will be disapointed with Ivey. He is a solid player for 10 minutes a game but not much more. He's a "solid" defender but is more of a hustle player then a defender. He isn't really a liability on offense, but not someone you go to for a score.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
geiger
Banned User

Post#132 » by geiger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:59 pm

Exceptions can be use when you're over the cap - it's an exception to the cap. You don't renounce your exception - you don't get it until and unless you're over the cap. That's in the CBA unless I read it wrong.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#133 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:36 pm

only because someone posted this on another board and i didn't have to look it up...

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

20. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 29, 30, 31, 32). A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.
jmon
Junior

Post#134 » by jmon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:04 am

geiger wrote:Exceptions can be use when you're over the cap - it's an exception to the cap. You don't renounce your exception - you don't get it until and unless you're over the cap. That's in the CBA unless I read it wrong.

Do research before you post please.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#135 » by ckchen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:13 am

geiger wrote:Exceptions can be use when you're over the cap - it's an exception to the cap. You don't renounce your exception - you don't get it until and unless you're over the cap. That's in the CBA unless I read it wrong.

You read it wrong.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers