Grizzlies Offer Josh Smith $58MIL

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Grizzlies Offer Josh Smith $58MIL 

Post#1 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:52 pm

According to the Memphis Commercial Appeal (???)... the Memphis Grizzlies have made an offer to Josh Smith for $58MIL. No word on whether the deal is 4 years or 5 years.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... fer-sheet/
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,998

Re: Josh Smith Signs Offer Sheet W/ Grizzlies 

Post#2 » by Stanford » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:02 pm

It's funny that the picture they use is the one from the dunk contest.
Philly_King
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Philly_King » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:06 pm

If Smith is getting 5/58 then Iggy should not get a cent above that
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:13 pm

You know... that column is a tad confusing the way it is written. Did Smith accept the offer sheet or did the Grizzlies merely send Smith a contract offer? Hopefully one of the major news sites pick up on this and clarify the situation a bit.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#5 » by UptownPhilly » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:16 pm

I would say that the Griz sent him an offer. ATL has to match that offer. It's not a large offer, by any means.

Smith on the Grizzlies would be very interesting though.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:18 pm

Roletagg wrote:I would say that the Griz sent him an offer. ATL has to match that offer. It's not a large offer, by any means.

Smith on the Grizzlies would be very interesting though.

If it's a 4 year deal, than it's about $3MIL short of a max offer. If it's a 5 year offer than this sort of screws Iguodala a little bit. How could he go for 5 years/$70MIL when Josh Smith is getting $12MIL less??
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Grizzlies Offer Josh Smith $58MIL 

Post#7 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:36 pm

Two more thoughts:

1) RealGM is apparently coming away with the vibe from that column that Smith actually signed the offer sheet even though it doesn't actually say that. I'm hoping that he does sign it.

2) Let's say the Hawks don't match. Suddenly the Grizzlies become one of the best, young teams in the league and a team I would love to watch play ball.

Conley/Lowry
Mayo/Jaric/Crittenton
Gay/Warrick/Buckner
Smith/Walker/Arthur
Gasol/Milicic

That team has a TON of potential.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#8 » by ITK9 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:40 pm

no way on Earth this is a 5 years deal.58mil $/4 years is overapying but it's the kind of offer you have to offer to a RFA if you really want to have any chances.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,620

Post#9 » by eyeatoma » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:43 pm

If they can get a real center they could potentially contend if all the players pan out like they should...

I.E.

Conley 15-8
Mayo 24-5-5
Gay 22-6-4
Smith 17-9-3

Obviously they couldn't all average that at the same time, but IMO all those players have ceilings that high...
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:56 pm

eyeatoma wrote:If they can get a real center they could potentially contend if all the players pan out like they should...

I.E.

Conley 15-8
Mayo 24-5-5
Gay 22-6-4
Smith 17-9-3

Obviously they couldn't all average that at the same time, but IMO all those players have ceilings that high...

They have a real center in Marc Gasol. He signed a deal to come over to the US this year after winning the MVP award in the ACB League over in Europe. Some are saying that he will be one of the Top 5 rookies in the league this year.
geiger
Banned User

Post#11 » by geiger » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:11 pm

In another development, the Griz have identified Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi as a person of interest and hope to sign the 7-2, 23-year-old next week. Ehadadi last played for Saba Battery of the Iran Super League. He'll also play for the Iran national team in the Olympics.

We'll know soon enough, but I'm guessing Atlanta matches it. If they don't, they might have the money to make a run at Iguodala, although not at the 5 years, $72 million that we've seen bandied around.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#12 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:16 pm

According to Sekou Smith (the Hawks' beat writer for the Atlanta Journal Constitution), Smith has signed the offer sheet, and it is a 5-year deal.

Given this turn of events...5/70 for Iggy?

Ha.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:20 pm

geiger wrote:In another development, the Griz have identified Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi as a person of interest and hope to sign the 7-2, 23-year-old next week.

Fair or not, in today's world.... the above statement reads a lot more like something that would be scrolling along the bottom of CNN rather than ESPN.

If this is in fact a 5 year/$58MIL deal, then I fully expect the Hawks to match. I also expect Ed to call Iguodala's bluff on signing the QO if his demands aren't lowered.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#14 » by tk76 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:21 pm

5/58 seems really low. If they get him for that it is a steal. Even better its probably heavily frontloaded.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#15 » by Sixersftw » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:24 pm

if thats true then the Hawks just got a steal (no way they don't match that, like immediately). There is no way those reports of Iguodala for 5/70 can be accurate. At least i'm hoping he isn't.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
is1531
Banned User

Post#16 » by is1531 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:32 pm

tk76 wrote:5/58 seems really low. If they get him for that it is a steal. Even better its probably heavily frontloaded.

He signed the offer sheet. The fact that he signed the offer sheet tells me that Memphis was not willing to offer any more money, otherwise they could have made him an offer, which Atlanta could have matched or not matched, but since he signed the offer, Memphis only gets one chance. Now Atlanta is in the drivers seat. I wonder what Ed is thinking?. The 76ers will not have Ivey for the ist 2 games due to the suspension involving Chris Kamen.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#17 » by kingofthecourt67 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:39 pm

This took me by surprise, I thought the Grizzlies were going to eat the cap space while getting their owneship straightened out.

And to whoever was worried about Iguodala being courted by the Grizzlies if this failed, they wouldn't do it with Mayo and Gay on the team, simply no space.
jmon
Junior

Post#18 » by jmon » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:48 pm

Sounds like a PR move to me. Grizz can now say Smith was "their guy" and that they took a good shot at signing him.
SJboy59
Ballboy

Post#19 » by SJboy59 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:58 pm

Hold on, I'm going to put on my flame retardant clothing before I post this, since I've observed that Iguodala is a hot topic on the list. Here goes...

Does Josh Smith really represent the ceiling on the market for Iguodala? I understand that big men might be more valuable than someone playing 2 or 3, but if I were starting a team and my two choices for the next five years, economics aside, were Smith and Iguodala, I'd pick Iguodala (and there would be time left on the clock).

He's shown steady progression in his skills and productivity. He's a character player (in a positive sense). He plays hard. He has had a larger role on his team and that team exceeded expectations greatly.

The Sixers offered him, 5 and 57 a year ago. Wasn't on this board then, but there weren't too many people calling that unreasonable. As has been pointed out on this board previously, a 6th year on that year ago offer, with typical 8% raises, would be 6 and 71.

Did Iguodala not increase in value based on his performance over the 88 games that counted last season/post-season? I think he did enough to earn a sixth year and a bump in the starting point.

Now someone call the fire department and send them to my house.
geiger
Banned User

Post#20 » by geiger » Fri Aug 8, 2008 6:03 pm

If the Hawks match, Iggy should have even less options. If Smith goes to Memphis, Atlanta is at least a viable destination. Memphis would have no interest in Iguodala since they have their PG, SG and SFs of the future (likely their C too with Marc Gasol). There is just no reason to overpay Iguodala for the sake of overpaying him.

However, there is a threat of him playing on a one year qualifier. A team like Portland, flushed with cash next off-season, might very well be willing to throw a lot of money his way to come play SF for them. Also Miami could be a possibility. As the Clippers and Golden State learned, any time a player becomes an unrestricted free agent, you risk losing him even if you think you can give him a better deal - especially if he is insulted by prior offers and is pissed at the organization.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers