Pierce's godforsaken comment...

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

tua40278
Sophomore
And1: 9

Pierce's godforsaken comment... 

Post#1 » by tua40278 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Not a big poster, but a bigtime reader.

Anyhow, just had to say something about Pierce's quote about being the best in the game. Does this make anyone else angry at the thought this guy has the balls to stand up and say he's the best in the league? I'd love to look him straight in the face and say "come on man, your not even the best player on your team." This adds fuel to the fire for me this year as we hope to contend. This guy, although I admit is a very solid player, is a joke thinking he's the best in the game. One could argue he's not even in the top 10.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Pierce's godforsaken comment... 

Post#2 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 pm

He's a loser and will always be a loser. I wouldn't take that bum on the Sixers for free, and he's the most overrated player in the NBA.
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#3 » by sweetlou23 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:02 pm

"Q: Is Kobe really the best player in the world? Pierce: I don't think Kobe is the best player. I'm the best player. There's a line that separates having confidence and being conceited. I don't cross that line but I have a lot of confidence in myself."

When iverson was being interviewed regarding his selection for the bronze medal team he stated, "I believe that i am the best player in the world, i know i'm one of the twelve best." i think u guys missed the point. its not about being arrogant, or conceited or even honest, its about being competitive. pierce knows that u should never let your opponent think that u believe he is better than u.
psykosacul
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#4 » by psykosacul » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:36 pm

sweetlou23 wrote:"Q: i think u guys missed the point. its not about being arrogant, or conceited or even honest, its about being competitive. pierce knows that u should never let your opponent think that u believe he is better than u.

yeah but the respectful move is to deflect the question and say its for others to decide, or qualify the statement by saying... "i feel like im the best player in the world. you have to to play in this league." paul has always thought he was the $hizz, and its always been obvious. its part of why ive never liked him. all he does is bull run into people in the 4th quarter. his jumper has always been inconsistent and its terrible when he misses. he has skills, but the best? never close.
"get that hippy crap out of here." - the standford standout
kanga
Senior
And1: 98

Post#5 » by kanga » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:57 pm

I think 99.4% of people would agree Paul Pierce is not the best player in the world. I agree. I'm also not so sure Paul Pierce truly believes he is literally the best basketball player in the world. But right now, and until the conclusion of the Olympics at least, he does have bragging rights over just about everyone, especially Kobe. He was the overwhelming favorite for NBA Finals MVP and his team was easily the best team in the league this year. He is the reigning MVP of the reigning Champions. That's a pretty elite spot to hold. When Billups won Finals MVP, was he best player in the world? doubtful.. Does Pierce deserve the title of best player in the world? I dont know.. i think someone could make the case for it at this moment in time.. but only until an Olympic team is crowned and a leader emerges from that team.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#6 » by 83SixersRocked » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:17 am

tua40278 wrote:Not a big poster, but a bigtime reader.

Anyhow, just had to say something about Pierce's quote about being the best in the game. Does this make anyone else angry at the thought this guy has the balls to stand up and say he's the best in the league? I'd love to look him straight in the face and say "come on man, your not even the best player on your team." This adds fuel to the fire for me this year as we hope to contend. This guy, although I admit is a very solid player, is a joke thinking he's the best in the game. One could argue he's not even in the top 10.

Why would that make you angry? He is the best player on his team, MVP of the finals...he's living the dream. He can say whatever he wants, and I'm sure he realizes he raised the bar for himself by saying that. Personally I don't think there is any "best". Everybody gives you at least something a little different, but I'd agree that he's one of the best. How can you not?
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM

Post#7 » by IggyTheBEaST » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:26 am

depends on his view of what makes a player the best. If his opinion is, the best player in the nba is the MVP of the best team in basketball, then I understand his statement
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
GreenWithEnvy
Analyst
And1: 163

Post#8 » by GreenWithEnvy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:48 am

everybody thinks theyre the best player...get over it.
Willie Green Is The Man!
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#9 » by UptownPhilly » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:27 am

This is hogwash. Everyone knows Willie Green is the best player in the NBA.
dond
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by dond » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 am

Well, the BEST is maybe a stretch .... but, I will give him this ...

I believe he is the single most important player in the team at crunch time. Garnett likes to shoot jump shots and hope for the best but Pierce will go to the basket and get his hands dirty.
If you cannot convince others that you are right, you probably aren't.
jmon
Junior

Post#11 » by jmon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:11 pm

dond wrote:Well, the BEST is maybe a stretch .... but, I will give him this ...

I believe he is the single most important player in the team at crunch time. Garnett likes to shoot jump shots and hope for the best but Pierce will go to the basket and get his hands dirty.

Yeah. I mean Garnett is obviously the superior player, but he is also surely a choke.
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#12 » by sec-106 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:26 am

Roletagg wrote:This is hogwash. Everyone knows Willie Green is the best player in the NBA.

Only since Rentzias retired.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#13 » by UptownPhilly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:20 am

^^^ Good One :D
geiger
Banned User

Post#14 » by geiger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:10 am

Props for even remembering that guy. I'd remember Dave Hoppen and Kurt Nimphius over Efimios.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,779

Post#15 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:20 am

You read too much into it. I think it's his right to say he's the best player. He's proven he is a leader and can put up numbers. Sure he doesn't average 30/7/7 or something like Lebron, and he doesn't single handedly carry his team to the finals ala Kobe. But he lead his team to a title, and he deserves being called the best player, on the best team in the world, thus the best player in the world.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#16 » by tk76 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:02 pm

By that logic Doc Rivers is the best coach in the world. Sure he couldn't win anything until he coached 3 superstars, but now they won, and he's the coach- so he must be the greastest coach in the world.

Or maybe not.

The people who where both the greatest and said as much are pretty rare. In fact, beyond Wilt and Ali, I can't think of many self proclaimed greatest in the world who weren't just acting insecure about their perceived lack of respect.
broadstbull
Ballboy

Post#17 » by broadstbull » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:40 pm

I don't fault him for his comment. I mean "if your not first your last." You have to believe you’re the best, esp. in his field of work. Just imagine a talk on the court...Kobe telling Paul "yeah I heard you say I'm betta then you." So he already has a mental edge on him. So I don't fault him. He just isn't showing his weakness at least verbally. He knows he isn't the best; he isn't even the best on his own team (KG). If he does he is kraze.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 546

Post#18 » by NDaATL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:39 am

Pierce isn't even a top 10 player, what a joke.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers