17%

Total votes: 69

The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Best of the Best: PG 

Post#1 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Things are slow and so I figured it's time for a fun thread. The task is simple.... vote on who the best player is at the given position in the subject. I've listed TEN players at the position in question in the poll above and your task is simple; pick you think is the best.

I'll update the other positions every couple of days and by the end, we'll have the Sixers' Board All-NBA Team and Second Team based on how the voting turns out.

First up is PG. For me, it's gotta be Chris Paul. The kid turned New Orleans around completely and only figures to get better and better. I think a strong case could be made for Deron Williams as well or even a older vet like Steve Nash.

I'm curious to see if anyone will got with the homer vote for Miller or vote for the rookie.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Re: Best of the Best: PG 

Post#2 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:31 pm

For me, it's Williams...he may not be as flashy as CP, but he is still a great facilitator and a MONEY player close-and-late...and - being a bigger guy than CP - a guy who has less likelihood of being worn down (and abused defensively) over the course of a long season.

Williams or CP...1 and 1A...I'd be happy with either guy.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#3 » by ITK9 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:33 pm

My order:

Tier one

1.Nash-imho he is still the best.sure, i would pick deron or cp3 over him anyday because of their age but if i can choose a guy to be my team's pg for next season, Nash would be my pick

2.Deron-this is a very close one but i always liked Deron more and i would pick him over Cp3.why?He is a better 3pt shooter and is a better defender(because he is bigger and strong pgs like Baron or Dre Miller can't use their strenght when playing against him).I would also add the fact that I can't find any aspects of the game where Cp3 is better.anyway..it's a tough one ,you can't go wrong with either of them

3.Cp3-easily the best pg from the rest of the group

tier two

4.Andre Miller-yes, i am very serious.i would take him over any of the other pgs left but only THIS SEASON

5-7.Baron Davis-Tony Parker-Arenas

Tier 3

8.Kidd-i'm sorry but that's his place (tgp, i would have put Devin Harris in the poll instead of Calderon)
9.Rose-he is going to be a superstar but i don't think he will have more than a 14/7 season without a huge impact
10.Calderon-i never liked him and i would take harris over him anyday
emptygator
Rookie
And1: 43

Post#4 » by emptygator » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:45 pm

I am with you on that list for the most part...except i would have calderon higher. I think calderon and davis are better options than miller and thats next season.
jmon
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by jmon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Chauncey Billups belongs here. Rajon Rondo over Rose easily as well.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Post#6 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:34 pm

The rankings are more interesting because with this poll, only a couple of players will get votes.
After what Chris Paul was able to do last season, I don't see how anyone can say that there is a better PG in the NBA right now. He can penetrate into the the lane at will and always makes the right decisions. He shot 49% from the field on his way to 21 points per game, led the league in assists with almost 12 per game, and averaged only 2.5 turnovers! That's pretty sick. It's a shame that the Hornets couldn't knock off the Spurs in the playoffs because I really wanted to see them go up against the Lakers, and I thought they might have been able to take them too. But there are many great years ahead for Paul and his Hornets...
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#7 » by dbodner » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 pm

Paul and Williams make it an exciting time to be a basketball fan. Can't really go wrong with either one.

I still have no idea how Paul is able to play at the pace he plays in, create like he does, and keep the turnovers as low as he does. Simply amazing.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#8 » by 83SixersRocked » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 pm

If you told me we could get one of those players for Andre Miller, I'd choose Deron. I think he and Chris Paul are neck and neck, and I'd choose Deron by a nose just because....CP annoys me. Great reasoning, eh? Ok, Deron seems like he has a little more 'team' in him, but that's the best I can do.

If it were Game 7 of the finals and Andre went down (could I have said that last year without provoking howls of laughter?) and I could have any one of those guys, it'd be Nash. He's been there, taken the bloody noses and for any one game I think he gives you the best shot. He's also played for more than one NBA team and I think he'd adapt better. Granted, the other two guys both came out of college with a bang, but for a night, Nash is my choice.
kanga
Senior
And1: 98

Post#9 » by kanga » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:08 pm

I'd choose Baron Davis for the guy I'd most want on the Sixers, mostly because of his off the court hilarity. But as for best PG, hands down CP3.

Great Chris Paul story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxwyE5m44x4
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#10 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Chris Paul IMO is the best in the NBA right now.
bedjaw
Senior
And1: 44

Post#11 » by bedjaw » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:40 pm

CP3 by a significant margin. Calderon, Rose and Kidd should not be on the list.

CP3
DW
Nash
BDavis
Parker
Billups
Miller

I don't consider GA a Pg -- shoots too much and doesn't facilitate enough. Great player but not a Pg.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#12 » by Skates » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 pm

I echo Bebop's view on Williams and Paul, and put Nash third for now.
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#13 » by underpressure » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:06 pm

My votes goes to Paul. Simply amazing what he has done the past year in New Orleans. Heck, he would have made likely the MVP race if New Orleans had finished first,

Deron Williams would be make second choice, closely in front of Nash and Billups.
Mozy-76er Fan
Junior

Post#14 » by Mozy-76er Fan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:11 pm

I went with CP - so dynamic - makes everyone better and can really score. Williams is clear #2. After that it gets murkey. Tony Parker deserves more credit than he is getting in this thread so far. He'd be a candidate for my #3
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#15 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:01 pm

CP3 now and in the future. But when you look back at it, if CP doesn't win many titles, I'm going to have to say Parker. He won.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,620

Post#16 » by eyeatoma » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:09 pm

CP3, and its not even close, considering how efficient he is...His low t/o's, high steals, and high assists are otherwordly...

Deron is without a doubt the #2, and Nash #3 since last year. Nash seemed to lose a lil bit of that edge taht he had, and wasn't as productive in the 4th quarter as he used to be.

And to the guy who said Deron has more 'team' in him? Are you serious? Williams can still get a lil trigger happy on occasion, and the assist disparity between him and Paul should answer you're question about who is more of a team guy.

Be that as it may, I'd be happy with either one of them on my team. They're both terrific players.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#17 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:01 pm

I voted for Deron(accidentally), but CP3 is the best PG in the hand down. For him to lead his team to the playoffs the way he did speaks volumes about his game.
geiger
Banned User

Post#18 » by geiger » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:16 am

By the way, at 32 years of age, Andre Miller had a career season. Now people are presuming, that getting a year older, he will again have a career season. If he does not, and reverts back to his usual self, he is a poor defensive player who gives you 14 points a game on offense and 7 assists. I do not believe he is one of the best 8 PGs in the league. He is close in terms of being in that 9 to 12 range.

Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jose Calderon, Baron Davis, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, and Gilbert Arenas are all clearly better players than Miller.

Presuming Iverson is being considered a SG, he's better than Chucky Atkins, but if Iverson is a PG, he's better than Miller.

Devin Harris, probably the best defensive PG in the league, is better than Miller. After that it gets murky. No question that Monta Ellis is better than Miller offensively, but is he a PG? That is not clear yet. If he shows solid PG skills and gets 6 to 7 assists a game with under 3 turnovers, he's better than Miller. Mo Williams is better offensively than Miller and can be better defensively, but he turns the ball over too much and not as good a PG. Jason Kidd and Miller are probably equivalent at this point of their careers and Miller might even be better. Kidd is close to being done. We don't know enough about the young kids yet - Derrick Rose, Russel Westbrook, or Jerryd Blayless - any or all of them could be better than Miller, but probably not this season.

Miller is more in the Mo Williams, Heinrich, TJ Ford league than he is in the Chris Paul, Deron Williams league.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,230

Post#19 » by Flash4thewin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Where is Marbury on the list. He is the self proclaimed best pg in the league :crazy: :rofl: :crazy:
geiger
Banned User

Post#20 » by geiger » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:55 pm

And he might be - in the Italian League, where he might end up within the next year, if not sooner.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers