ImageImageImage

The SF1976 Draft Thread (Final Update On Page 90)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: The Official SF1976 off-season thread 

Post#41 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:53 pm

Word, tk.

I'll have to wait a year to get my Ho-Hos...
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#42 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:58 pm

BTW: Are they completely and utterly against Iggy at the 2? And for what reasons?
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#43 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:32 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:BTW: Are they completely and utterly against Iggy at the 2? And for what reasons?

That's what I want to know. Granted, if you bring back A. Miller at the PG spot, I can see why it might be tougher to play Iguodala at the SG spot. HOwever, if the team can obtain a PG that can shoot from distance, why not? Rondo can't shoot, but is offset by the sweet shooting R. Allen and P. Pierce at the SG/SF spots. Iguodala is a mediocre shooter and Young appears to be improving his jumper. Alongside Miller, this is not a good combo. If you have a better shooting point however, it could work. It would also put three "high basketball IQ" players next to each other for Jordan's offense in Brand, Iguodala, and Young. Guys that might be available that often come to mind and have been suggested on this board are Bibby and Hinrich. In the case of Hinrich, he also happens to be a pretty good defender. Figure out a S&T involving Miller and him. It would help Philly and probably give Chicago's explosive scorer's more looks. Hinrich makes around $9.5 million next year, so it is doable.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#44 » by Cru Thik » Wed Jun 3, 2009 5:19 pm

Just say no to Hinrich I just can't wrap my head around the love for this bust.

James Harden I do not want him at all the guy is afraid to compete against Tyreke Evans in workouts that's not the type of player I want on my team. On the other hand Evans is ready to lace them up against anyone and get out there that's the type of person/player I would look at.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
los gogos
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#45 » by los gogos » Wed Jun 3, 2009 6:51 pm

By attaching Sam's dead weight to Thad you are devaluing what you can get for Thad. Meanwhile, just wait 1 year, and Sam is a huge expiring, and no longer has negative trade value. Why would you want to take out most promising young player and devalue him by using him to help you unload Sam?

I agree here, I don't think I can get excited about Kevin Martin, especially if it means giving up Thad. Martin is good, but I think his head is close to the ceiling, you're not going to get much more out of him. Thad has a world of potential to look forward to. I am not as attached to Speights though. I was disappointed with his focus and toughness in the playoffs, the only time I really saw him play, mind you. Do they teach boxing out anymore at he lower levels of?
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#46 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 7:22 pm

sf76:

I really think that if we want to move Speights to get either Hinrich or Curry, we better be sure that Smith is healthy enough to go back into the rotation...what is the latest on his condition? Is he scrimmaging yet? Do they expect him to be fully ready to go by training camp?
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#47 » by Foshan » Wed Jun 3, 2009 7:42 pm

Hey SF, on the trade forums here there was an idea bounced around for a
Dally to Utah
AK to Phx
JRich to Phi
+ filler pieces to make salaries work, is something like that too 'fantasy' and not a reality? While JRich's contract sucks he seems like he'd be a great fit at the 2 with out really giving up too much if we're not planning to use Sammy anyway. Thoughts?

And because its worth a repost:
Cassidy wrote:Image
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#48 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jun 3, 2009 7:54 pm

bebop...

I'm confused. You don't want a 6'0 PG who doesn't have NBA 3pt range. Ok fine.

Did you know that Lawson shot 47% from 3pt land the year they moved the line BACK in college?
Also, he regularly drained 3pt shots from well beyond the pushed back college arc. He definitely has NBA range. What are your other concerns about him?

Would you want Curry at PG or SG?

I'd be ok with Curry. But the difference between him and Lawson is not Speights IMO. Curry is 6'3 yea, but he is weak, and not as quick or fast as Lawson. He won't be able to defend NBA SG's and he isn't a true PG. The big knock on him is that he doesn't really fit either position.

One of Lawson's biggest values is that he is a true PG. I think that is the most important difference as to who people are going to be looking for the Sixers to draft.

If they want a true scorer who will light it up, score 25ppg and be a go-to guy on offense, they will want Curry.

If they want a true PG who will run the team, while still getting 15-18 ppg and be very efficient with the ball, they will want Lawson.

It's really a difference of styles and opinions.

For example, I think that this team should find a #1 option who is already in the league and has established themselves as a "star", trade for that person, put them next to Iggy. Then find a PG who can run the show, and a Center who has a shot at stopping Howard and the other great bigs in the league.

IMO the "star" can be a PF or a SG. Doesn't matter.

Starters
C- Defensive minded(higher IQ than Daly)
PF- Star or young, promising player
SF- Iggy
SG- Star or young, promising player
PG- Younger guy, Runs the show

I think any combination of that lineup would do well.

Other people would rather see a go-to guy come in and develop into a star next to Iggy, Thad, and Brand.

Either way is fine, but it all comes down to preference.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#49 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 8:18 pm

If we were running a more traditional offense, I would put a higher premium on having a traditional PG.

But we're not.

We need a shooter who can defend. Curry is a better shooter than Lawson. He's also three inches taller.

Lawson can become a nice PG in this league. Curry can become a STAR.

And where - exactly - is Speights going to get all of the minutes that make him an untouchable? If we have 48 minutes to play a PF, I can see at least 36 to 40 of those minutes being taken by Brand and Thad. If you want to expand the discussion to the 4 and 5, then out of the 96 minutes we have there, I have over half of them going to Brand and Thad. If Smith plays - what - 15 to 18 minutes a game, than leaves 20 to 25 minutes - primarily at the 5 - left....and we still have a guy who is owed $23 million over the next two seasons that will probably get SOME time.

Speights is a nice player with upside...I also view him as a relative luxury at a time where we have a DESPERATE need for a shooter. He is the only guy who I think we can trade outside the core who has VALUE...and I think that - for this team, with our needs - Curry is enough of an upgrade over Lawson, Maynor or anybody else that may be there at 17 that I make the trade.

If you don't agree with that, that's cool.
los gogos
Ballboy

Post#50 » by los gogos » Wed Jun 3, 2009 8:29 pm

J-rich is very intriguing... I don't know if he is the perfect fit though.

A decent shooter with 3pt range, but not necessarily with knock down consistency.
Doesn't have the handles to drive into the lane at will
Likes to take time off on the defensive end...

not sure if that is what you want to build around considering the contract, but hey! we get rid of Sam and get a very solid 2!
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#51 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jun 3, 2009 8:35 pm

Getting Richardson for Sam would be fantastic. I'd throw a future pick in there to get it done. He's a great 3-pt shooter, just what we need. And we could be dangerous when going small with Rich-Iggy-Young at the 2-3-4.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#52 » by Foshan » Wed Jun 3, 2009 8:43 pm

los gogos wrote:J-rich is very intriguing... I don't know if he is the perfect fit though.

A decent shooter with 3pt range, but not necessarily with knock down consistency.
Doesn't have the handles to drive into the lane at will
Likes to take time off on the defensive end...

not sure if that is what you want to build around considering the contract, but hey! we get rid of Sam and get a very solid 2!

Yes but he is significantly better (Imo) then Willie Green, and its not like we are building around him... he'd be a hired gun to fill a hole, his contract runs out in 2 years, so next year he's a huge expiring asset just like Dally would have been.

Combine this with the boston idea and you get Jrich starting with tony allen backing him up as a solid defender. at least its some value for S.D.
los gogos
Ballboy

Post#53 » by los gogos » Wed Jun 3, 2009 9:01 pm

Dont' think you will get any kind of argument about J-rich being better than Green. You answered my next question about his contract length: 2 years. I would take 2 years of J-rich over Sam any day of the week.
ojr107
Veteran

Post#54 » by ojr107 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 10:57 pm

If we resign Andre Miller, do we still have the MLE to use?
shadowTerp
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#55 » by shadowTerp » Wed Jun 3, 2009 11:04 pm

ojr107 wrote:If we resign Andre Miller, do we still have the MLE to use?

I believe yes, we would still have the MLE to use.

However, resigning Miller for the salary that he will want (8+ million a year) puts us at the luxury tax threshold. I doubt management will want to use the MLE if it has to pay the tax.

So, even though the technical answer is yes, the real answer will be that we won't use it.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#56 » by corwin » Wed Jun 3, 2009 11:30 pm

Signing Miller would put the team close to the luxury tax this year unless other players are moved. The team would definitely be over next year. Follow the money. This team is not going to pay the luxury tax.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#57 » by tk76 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 11:47 pm

Sure Sam+#17 for JRich sounds great.

I'm against Thad+Sam for Jrich.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#58 » by Foshan » Thu Jun 4, 2009 12:13 am

tk76 wrote:Sure Sam+#17 for JRich sounds great.

I'm against Thad+Sam for Jrich.

I really don't think it takes the 1st to get Jrich. Especially if its in the uta 3 team deal. I might throw in a future 2nd... but not a 1st.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#59 » by freshie2 » Thu Jun 4, 2009 1:30 am

bebopdeluxe wrote:sf76:

I really think that if we want to move Speights to get either Hinrich or Curry, we better be sure that Smith is healthy enough to go back into the rotation...what is the latest on his condition? Is he scrimmaging yet? Do they expect him to be fully ready to go by training camp?

If Smith isn't ready to go, it would be one of the greatest botched surgeries or rehab in history. It was an ACL tear last summer...the knee stability should be 100% by now, and his overall athleticism will be very close by the opener. It takes a year for most to get back to 100% athleticism, but the knee stability should be fine.
mega montana
General Manager

Post#60 » by mega montana » Thu Jun 4, 2009 1:51 am

bebopdeluxe wrote:Re-sign Miller and draft a Smurf...

Wow.

Hard to contain my enthusiasm over THAT plan.

color me unimpressed too

lawson is good, but he's so short, i think that's really gonna limit his nba career
Hates the Sixers' brass

Return to Philadelphia 76ers