Carlos Queiroz: New Portugal NT headcoach

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,551

Carlos Queiroz: New Portugal NT headcoach 

Post#1 » by Slava » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:57 am

Manchester United assistant manager Carlos Queiroz has been appointed as the new head coach of Portugal.

Queiroz has agreed a four-year contract and is to be presented to the media on Wednesday.

The 53-year-old former Real Madrid coach will take full responsibility for all aspects of Portugal's national teams, including oversight of the youth teams.

Source: www.soccernet.com

He will be sorely missed at United due to his amazing eye for talent and he was instrumental in spotting talents like Nani/Anderson who contributed so much for our double winning season. Also his connections in Portuguese soccer helped us have a great working relationship with clubs like Sporting Lisbon and Porto etc.

What's rarely known is that he was also an amazing tactician and a great scout in the UCL. He was also instrumental in bringing the most modern fitness regimes as well as innovative training methods and placing a greater importance in the role of dietitians at MUFC.

He could have been a great choice to succeed Sir. Alex at United and he surely will be missed heavily. Hope that he has a great managing career with the NT and wish him all the best.

Thank you Carlos!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Re: Carlos Queiroz: New Portugal NT headcoach 

Post#2 » by Point forward » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:45 am

The only thing I remember from Queiroz as a head coach is that he destroyed a healthy Real Madrid club by allowing Real to kick out defensive role players like Makelele or McManaman, misused David Beckham, snubbing a hustle guy like Pepe who was available on the transfer market and sorely needed, totally allowing the club to be led by financial interests and deservedly crashing out in the CL vs Monaco.

IMHO Queiroz is a great assistant, but not fit to be a leader.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#3 » by BlackMamba » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:07 pm

indeed he had a pretty bad year with real madrid, i don't think he was ready for a team like that.

don't forget he's responsible for the success of portugal's golden generation and that's why i think he's more of a teaching coach, but maybe that experience with real madrid and being under a great coach like SAF gave him the tools to coach a team like portugal.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,590

Post#4 » by El Turco » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:59 am

i am with the consensus. as a talent evaluator he is in Wenger s class but as a head coach i dont see him doing much.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Slava » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:43 am

That one year he was at Madrid was when he was basically made a puppet to milk funds from the galactico policy which they scrapped rightly by now. He was certainly not ready for a team of the magnitude of Real and he confessed more than once that he was taken aback by the board politics that he had seen there.
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#6 » by SashAlex » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:02 am

I hope he'll do a great job at the helm of the Portugese national team ! He deserves that because he's realy a good coach and Sir Alex will miss him ! :( I'll too ! :(

Carlos, thank you very much for being such a nice person !

j-far, he would've done a greater job had Real Madrid been a deeper team. They just didin't have any depth ! I remember watching games at the end of 2003 - 2004 season when Real was playing against one of the outsiders, I don't remember exactly. They were just looking exhausted ! Zidane even asked for a substitution after the 60th minute, Beckham was unpresent and everyone else too ! They all were looking poor !

Carlos did a good job ! The beginning of the season was really nice for them, playing beautiful footbal, Beckham playing really well in center ! But after january-february 2004, they began to decline with huge steps and after the loss to Monaco they just broke apart.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Slava » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:10 am

Good points Sash! I remember that game against Monaco and it seemed as though as soon as Hierro left them, their defense had broken apart.

Return to The General Soccer Board