Official Team USA Soccer Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, LittleOzzy, Baphomet

DaddyCool19
Starter
And1: 1,632

Re: Official Team USA Soccer Thread 

Post#1481 » by DaddyCool19 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:51 am

Isn't the NCAA part of the problem? In europe it's not uncommon to have 18-20 years old that are already part of the first time. While in USA some guys still play in college against most likely weak competition(you can get a scholarship for a NCAA team if you are playing in the 5th or 6th league in Germany) until they are 21 or older.
don't panac
Veteran
And1: 597

Post#1482 » by don't panac » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm

the only way they will be successful if they integrate the various leagues into a unified promotion relegation system, heavily invested in youth development, and get rid of the draft altogether.

a closed/draft-based system only works if you are the main destination for the talent, like in basketball/baseball/football.
if you are not even in the top tier of leagues (let alone being the top one), then the system is mortally flawed because it only rewards mediocrity, without allowing for investment and development.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,879

Post#1483 » by JDR720 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:15 am

don't panac wrote:the only way they will be successful if they integrate the various leagues into a unified promotion relegation system, heavily invested in youth development, and get rid of the draft altogether.

a closed/draft-based system only works if you are the main destination for the talent, like in basketball/baseball/football.
if you are not even in the top tier of leagues (let alone being the top one), then the system is mortally flawed because it only rewards mediocrity, without allowing for investment and development.

Pro/rel has basically a zero percent chance to work. Not to mention the fan bases of some teams will disappear if they get relagated and expansion will stop (not paying 200m to possibly get demoted)

The usl teams are almost all owned or tied to an Mls team and the nasl is far too unstable. And other leagues are semi-pro at best.

The draft is for college players, they won't be involved in the pro/rel anyway.

The only way there will be pro/rel is between 2 Mls leagues. Lets call them mls1 and mls2.

I think that will happen eventually, they aren't going to turn down all those expansion fees after they get to 28 teams (the number they say).
lamscott
Pro Prospect
And1: 565

Post#1484 » by lamscott » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Guys. I'm a soccer noob and usually only watch USA soccer. Is it me or does Bradley suck some horrible? I don't remember a time where he hasn't sucked on a big stage or game.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 644

Post#1485 » by BUCKnation » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:25 am

lamscott wrote:Hi Guys. I'm a soccer noob and usually only watch USA soccer. Is it me or does Bradley suck some horrible? I don't remember a time where he hasn't sucked on a big stage or game.

He's not good. Tbf he did kind of show up last Tuesday, but he is part of the older generation that we need to move on from asap.
ejftw
Veteran
And1: 178

Post#1486 » by ejftw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:43 am

Tata Martino or bust
Knickfan1982 wrote:Jordan isn't that much of an upgrade over Robin Lopez.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,037

Post#1487 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:58 pm

lamscott wrote:Hi Guys. I'm a soccer noob and usually only watch USA soccer. Is it me or does Bradley suck some horrible? I don't remember a time where he hasn't sucked on a big stage or game.

by worlds standards he's not up to par or acceptable for a starters role IMO.

to US standards, he's all they got however I will say that they misuse him. He was asked to be both a defender and attacker where as he should have sticked to defender cuz his off. game is horrible.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
sovietchild
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#1488 » by sovietchild » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:59 am

Nice goal from Timothy Weah, the son of George Weah.

Return to The General Soccer Board